Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Suggestions based on collections

Hey y'all

I just discovered this forum -- have been a hobbyist in this world for the past few years, and really got into it once I discovered the Kafkaesque blog.

However, it is a world that can feel very overwhelming! I was hoping to get both some suggestions as well as some commentary based on the items I've bought and like thus far. The first brand that exposed me to more interesting scents was Maison Francis Kurkdjian. I ended up discovering it while meandering around Paris and stumbling into the store.

I'm extremely partial to Aqua Universalis as a daily, day-time scent. However, my I have a very fond connection with Absolue Pour Le Soir -- luckily was able to buy a 2nd bottle before they switched over to Grand Soir, which I found to less heavy and thus less appealing. I also have a bottle of Lumiere Noir, although going through that quite slowly (its been 6+ years). Recently, I tried out his Oud (just Oud, no suffix) and quite enjoyed that as well.

The next brand I discovered was Areej Le Dore. I was absolutely in love with Russian Musk, however the bottle I purchased after getting a sample was stolen literally two days later (I know...). I'm also a huge fan of Russian Oud, and bought a few vials of it. I've tired others.

Recently, I've tried and quite enjoyed Dyrad by Papillon. Occasionally, I would layer it on top of Russian Oud once evening began to roll around and liked whatever was going on, but don't have the vocabulary nor the sophistication to describe it. My newest discovery was Diaghilev by Roja. It's a bit wildly expensive, so not sure I'll ever go beyond getting a decanted sample.

Maybe it's betrayed a bit by the above, but I also really enjoy beautiful bottles -- clean designs with quality materials (like the zinc caps on MFK bottles).

TL;DR:

Would love suggestions / explanations of my own taste based on that I like / own:

Absolue Pour Le Soir by MFK (own, 2nd bottle)
    Oud by MFK
    Russian Musk by Areej Le Dore (owned but stolen)
    Russian Oud by Areej Le Dore (own decants)
    Diaghilev by Roja

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Suggestions based on collections

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmoses View Post
    The first brand that exposed me to more interesting scents was Maison Francis Kurkdjian. I ended up discovering it while meandering around Paris and stumbling into the store.

I'm extremely partial to Aqua Universalis as a daily, day-time scent.
    Welcome to you shadowmoses! Enjoy your time here at Basenotes! Maison Francis Kurkdjian is a great house to delve into. Did you get the Extrait of Aqua Universalis?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I have not -- did not they released that, but at $999 a bottle, it makes me hesitant regardless. I think, as a daytime scent, I like the light air-iness of Aqua Universalis -- it takes a few sprays, but the effect is not at all overpowering.

While basic research allows me to read the notes involved in each of the scents I listed, could anyone venture a guess as to what ties these scents together?

Absolue Pour Le Soir by MFK
    Oud by MFK
    Russian Musk by Areej Le Dore
    Russian Oud by Areej Le Dore
    Diaghilev by Roja

Basenotes Junkie

No tldr at all. Welcome. I like it when people come asking a question following through w their detailed experiences and preferences and done research.
    Makes for more enjoyable forum rather than hello, recommend me a fragrance ...
    Mfk is a great brand and though you don't like it, i do like grand soir. I do want to try aqua universalis. I don't have anything to add here but greetings.
    Parfum de Marly Oajan

Basenotes Plus

This is a difficult one for me, as I usually don't care about presentation or bottles, and generally have an antipathy and prejudice against many higher-end brands (too often overpriced and underwhelming, more often about marketing than creativity). That said, if I were you I would peruse the splits board here before laying out large sums for full bottles. In my opinion, 1 ml dabber samples are completely useless, and 2ml sprayers might still not be enough to decide whether you love something or simply admire it. 5-10ml decants should be sufficient for your purposes.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Lui by Mazzolari

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I don't know that anything ties those five fragrances together, other than you liking them!

I would sample a bunch of Amouage if I were you. For an expensive house, they're above average.

Cool, thanks everyone! Feel quite welcome -- really cool forum.

Amouage looks interesting -- also overwhelming, so think I'll hold off on it till I can go and see a physical location where I can try a bunch. Might just make a trip to Oman and try it out, along w/ some Ouds later this year.

Think for now, beyond the above, I just ordered a sample set from Bortnikoff and a decant of Roja's Diaghilev. Will play around w/ them in various contexts in the summer and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by debussychopin View Post
    No tldr at all. Welcome. I like it when people come asking a question following through w their detailed experiences and preferences and done research.
    Makes for more enjoyable forum rather than hello, recommend me a fragrance ...
    Mfk is a great brand and though you don't like it, i do like grand soir. I do want to try aqua universalis. I don't have anything to add here but greetings.
    Universalis is just awesome. I ended up buying the fabric softner, the shower gel, the scented candle....it just smells crisp and clean and useful in that sense. Nearly half of the people I've ever met while wearing with a relatively high volume it comments on the smell at least once.

Also adding the suggestion to (re) test further Roja Dove scents, since their diversity of notes seems quite promising and balanced, as much as a few of the Frederic Malle scents, particularly French Lover/Bois d'Orage, also at least one classic leather along the lines of Knize Ten and/or Creed REL but not limited to these, while for the oud notes, vintage M7, Habit Rouge EDP and/or Songe d'un Bois d'Ete might work

Basenotes Plus

I would recommend Bortnikoff, as the house has the same quality of ingredients but arguably even more blending mastery than Areej le Dore (I love both houses.)

The recent Amber Cologne, Oud Monarch and Musk Khabib in particular.

I also think you would love Sultan Pasha. Some of his 1mL attars are not prohibitively expensive and even a tiny amount goes a long way. Of course you’ll want to purchase 3 mL bottles and these range from GBP100 to 400. But there is nobody better in my opinion and many of these will resemble what you already like, but on a whole new and better level. For instance, Ensens Chypre.

https://sultanpashaattars.com/products/encens-chypre

In my opinion there is nobody better today than Sultan Pasha and it seems your tastes might just lean that way.

Welcome to Basenotes!

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Amouage looks interesting -- also overwhelming, so think I'll hold off on it till I can go and see a physical location where I can try a bunch.
    I'm thinking Epic Man might be the one for you. It's one of the stronger ones, I think. Jubilation XXV is another contender. Memoir Man is another good one - I might personally like it the most of the three.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I have not -- did not they released that, but at $999 a bottle, it makes me hesitant regardless. I think, as a daytime scent, I like the light air-iness of Aqua Universalis -- it takes a few sprays, but the effect is not at all overpowering.
    I can certainly understand that. Thanks for the reply.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Based on your taste and wardrobe I would recommend trying Tauer, in particular L'Air du Désert Marocain and/or Au Coeur du Désert. For a wearable, fresh, unoffensive daytime scent in the style of Aqua Universalis I'd recommend L'Eau by Tauer which has a similarly clean transparency, but with a bit less of a soapy note and more of a luxurious creaminess. I can't put my finger on what it is, but I find that MFK and Tauer have a similar feel in their elegance and refinement, though I'd say that MFK is more classical and Tauer has some more unusual and challenging scents, though I wouldn't say this about L'Eau or Au Coeur du Désert/L'Air du Désert Marocain.

Basenotes Junkie

Amouage Jubilation XXV
    Tom Ford Oud Minerale

Welcome to the board! Hope you find some good info here. I don't have too much to offer in terms of recommendations as I don't really have much experience with the scents in your collection. But as others have said, I would really recommend getting decants or 5-10 ml sized samples. That's what I've done with houses such as Creed and Tom Ford; you can test out all the options without committing to a full bottle. Not sure where you are, but if you were considering a flight to Oman, it would probably cost roughly the same as a plane ticket to just order a boatload of samples. Unless of course you wanted to go to Oman anyway, in which case bon voyage

Que scay-je?

Apart from Aqua universalis, the perfumes you cite tend to be on the animalic, spicy-leathery end of the spectrum.
    I like many of them too. On the not-too-expensive end, I'd say Etat Libre d'Orange Rien and Tom of Finland (musky leather).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    I would recommend Bortnikoff, as the house has the same quality of ingredients but arguably even more blending mastery than Areej le Dore (I love both houses.)

The recent Amber Cologne, Oud Monarch and Musk Khabib in particular.

I also think you would love Sultan Pasha. Some of his 1mL attars are not prohibitively expensive and even a tiny amount goes a long way. Of course you’ll want to purchase 3 mL bottles and these range from GBP100 to 400. But there is nobody better in my opinion and many of these will resemble what you already like, but on a whole new and better level. For instance, Ensens Chypre.

https://sultanpashaattars.com/products/encens-chypre

In my opinion there is nobody better today than Sultan Pasha and it seems your tastes might just lean that way.

Welcome to Basenotes!
    I actually just ordered the new sample set from Bortnikoff -- excited to try those out! Will look at Sultan Pasha, see if I can get a sample or two! Thanks for the suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Agate View Post
    Based on your taste and wardrobe I would recommend trying Tauer, in particular L'Air du Désert Marocain and/or Au Coeur du Désert. For a wearable, fresh, unoffensive daytime scent in the style of Aqua Universalis I'd recommend L'Eau by Tauer which has a similarly clean transparency, but with a bit less of a soapy note and more of a luxurious creaminess. I can't put my finger on what it is, but I find that MFK and Tauer have a similar feel in their elegance and refinement, though I'd say that MFK is more classical and Tauer has some more unusual and challenging scents, though I wouldn't say this about L'Eau or Au Coeur du Désert/L'Air du Désert Marocain.
    I think I actually had a sample of L'Air du Desert Marocain from a Luckyscent order of something else. I remember liking it and using it up, but can't remember which sample it was. Will re-test it and check out L'Eau as well. Appreciate the tips!

L'Eau is really gorgeous.

I slightly prefer Au Coeur du Désert to L'Air du Désert Marocain. They're both very close; Au Coeur merely adds an extra facet to the same scent.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, English Laundry Windsor, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

It's funny -- I had Jubilation XXV as a sample as well, but also didn't particularly pay attention to it (which means I probably didn't love it). That makes two suggested here.

I bought a bottle of the (older) Dior Eau De Parfum and also of (older) YSL Rive Gauche EDP; Planning to also get Dior Homme EDP -- and will test those this some along w/ the 5ML decant I got of Roja's Diaghilev during summer travels. I will say, Diaghilev is nuts in terms of silage and longevity. Any more than this, and it will be hard to figure out what I like / get a real sense of how they perform.

Tauer / Amouge will be what I explore with samples -- especially if I buy something off Luckyscent.

Funny enough, I found the lost samples and they were labeled!

Tried Jubilation XXV and honestly was not a fan. It was a bit too strong and also smelled modern (western). Also tried L'Air du Désert Marocain and while it's nice, it brings me back to the personal preference that for a "clean" scent I actually prefer something lighter like Aqua Universalist EDT.

The nice surprise was Puredistance M. Will give it a more serious look soon.

This little experience, along w the thread and everyone's inputs, really makes me appreciate the idea of samples (especially for someone who, when reading ingredients, can take away almost nothing).

Try more Roja offerings. I think you will be quite pleased. Maybe Amber Aoud, Creation E, or Goodman’s.