Code of Conduct

Thread: Jules

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Default Jules

Christian Dior Jules has grown on me so much that I sprung for a second, older bottle, the brown one, to go with the ribbed-glass version.

347CABE3-EB4D-4DF3-9C71-1D57634798D1.jpg

Both are great. The older one is a little smoother, but weaker. It’s polite.

The juice from the clear-glass bottle has more funk and personality. For the moment, I’m still enjoying this bottle more.

I believe these specific bottles are from 1996 and 2003.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Jules

The one on the left is the one I have also. Great stuff.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    The one on the left is the one I have also. Great stuff.
    I had to grow into it, somewhat, to fully appreciate it. It might be becoming my favorite Dior.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Christian Dior Jules has grown on me so much that I sprung for a second, older bottle, the brown one, to go with the ribbed-glass version.

The juice from the clear-glass bottle has more funk and personality. For the moment, I’m still enjoying this bottle more.

You'd think it'd be the other way 'round, strengh-wise. Have you tried the newest version?
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    You'd think it'd be the other way 'round, strengh-wise. Have you tried the newest version?
    I have not tried the newest version. The 2003-bottle is heaven for being made that late. It has some loud, funky floral note. It smells natural, especially for something made that recently.

I often dread current versions of classics, but I like the current version of Hermes Equipage so much, although the oak moss has clearly been taken away, that I'm more optimistic than I used to be.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I have not tried the newest version. The 2003-bottle is heaven for being made that late. It has some loud, funky floral note. It smells natural, especially for something made that recently.

I often dread current versions of classics, but I like the current version of Hermes Equipage so much, although the oak moss has clearly been taken away, that I'm more optimistic than I used to be.
    I have an older sample from brown bottle and then own the bottle like below:

IMG_20190320_152108_632.jpg

Newest is more green and leather-forward and reminds me of Pascal Morabito Or Black or Antaeus (minus the animalic) with the green/leather interplay but smoother. It's less smooth than deep vintage but clearly has the same structure as the deep vintage and just feels like it has more note separation/punch. I also feel part of this may be due to less maceration and probably less oakmoss or the oakmoss/treemoss blend being used in the newest, but it by no means smells significantly different or modernized.
    oh look, I have a signature

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    it by no means smells significantly different or modernized.
    Good to hear Dior is keeping it going. I've never even come across a tester of this. I've just picked up these two bottles online.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Good to hear Dior is keeping it going. I've never even come across a tester of this. I've just picked up these two bottles online.
    I admit never smelling middle vintage like the one in your older "Eau Sauvage atomiser"-style bottle, so I don't know the funky floral thing you're mentioning. Maybe that era was louder than the others because 2003 was the age of radioactive ozonic scents (smell some CK Crave or Boss in Motion and get back to me haha), and Dior want Jules fit for fight?

All joking aside, if you do end up getting a more modern Jules bottle, it's definitely heavier on the citrus, vetiver and galbanum up top (again, maybe because less oxidation so who knows what it will be in 10 years?), but the final dry down smells like the old Jules just without as much of the "fat bottom" from all the oakmoss in the oldest release, but the isobutyl quinoline leather note there is definitely the same. That's all I got.

I have tried the ribbed glass version. It was very nice and classy fragrance. The smell was similar to the color of the juice. It kind of reminded me of one of Halston fragrances and also of Penhaligons Lords. You are lucky to have 2 in your collection.

Default Jules

The 2003-bottle is heaven for being made that late. It has some loud, funky floral note. It smells natural, especially for something made that recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Newest is more green and leather-forward and reminds me of Pascal Morabito Or Black or Antaeus (minus the animalic) with the green/leather interplay but smoother. It's less smooth than deep vintage but clearly has the same structure as the deep vintage and just feels like it has more note separation/punch.
    Thank you, Bavard & ZC!
    I must say I'm both delighted and surpriced to hear this. It's not often you hear about well-done re-forms that are executed respectfully. From what I hear, Dior is one of the houses that does it the best, though.
    Bottom-line is, I really cannot go wrong with any version of Jules?
    That is sweet music to my ears (and nose).
    Thanks again, kind Sirs
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!

i was always interested in Jules, dont have it yet.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Thank you, Bavard & ZC!
    I must say I'm both delighted and surpriced to hear this. It's not often you hear about well-done re-forms that are executed respectfully. From what I hear, Dior is one of the houses that does it the best, though.
    Bottom-line is, I really cannot go wrong with any version of Jules?
    That is sweet music to my ears (and nose).
    Thanks again, kind Sirs
    Deepest vintage definitely has more of a buttery moss tone, but how much of that is intent versus aging is uncertain. Also, you're welcome!

I used to own all the iterations of Jules before (Bavard you know why i don't have them any more )
    The vintage one in the brown bottle was extremely powerful. I remember it used to give me headaches after just 2 sprays.
    I find the modern version very nice and more wearable than the beast of the past! It is still to be found but to my knowledge only in France.

I have said it a couple of times in the past that Jules is the ONLY perfume for which i would choose the newest version and not the first vintage one.

Dependent

I own the 3 bottles shown here and, as Monsieur Montana, my preference is for the newest version, more wearable. And I agree to say that Dior has done a really good job in modernizing Jules when keeping the same overall spirit...

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    The vintage one in the brown bottle was extremely powerful. I remember it used to give me headaches after just 2 sprays.
    That's what I like about it. I'm headache-proof. To me, it's just bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by Avecesar View Post
    I own the 3 bottles shown here and, as Monsieur Montana, my preference is for the newest version, more wearable. And I agree to say that Dior has done a really good job in modernizing Jules when keeping the same overall spirit...
    I'd love a bottle of the current version. It sounds yummy. Ribbed bottle Jules is one of my favorites at the moment, on par with silver-wraparound-label Givenchy Gentleman.

Someone mentioned, maybe in another thread, that Jules is a little like Caron Yatagan, and I agree there's some similarity.

I can get a new version of jules, not too difficult strolling on the net

:But the question is, hows the sillage and power/ longevity? Dont wanna pay too much if its a skin scent in 3 hours. I need power and room clearence....

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by relus View Post
    I can get a new version of jules, not too difficult strolling on the net

:But the question is, hows the sillage and power/ longevity? Dont wanna pay too much if its a skin scent in 3 hours. I need power and room clearence....
    You want One Man Show (1980), Kouros (1981), Lapidus Pour Homme (1987) or Joop! Homme (1989) for that.

Reserved for life !

1981 100ml spray bottle and 1980 200ml splash;
    they are the honey spot !

(don't know the 90s or current formula)

20190512_224550.jpg
    One person's craziness is other person's reality !

Quote Originally Posted by Deleanu View Post
    Reserved for life!

1981 100ml spray bottle and 1980 200ml splash;
    they are the honey spot !
    They kept that spray bottle a long time. Mine is a 33 avenue Hoche, from 1996, unless I'm much mistaken: 6T361.

They kept that spray bottle a long time. Mine is a 33 avenue Hoche from 1996, unless I'm much mistaken: 6T361.
    First version of oval brown bottle is with Eau de Toilette under Jules and second version is with EdT on lower side !

Mine is 1125D

First version of oval brown bottle is with Eau de Toilette under Jules and second version is with EdT on lower side !

Mine is 1125D
    Yes, I see the differences in the labeling now. Sweet.

Glad you like it so much. I completely agree. Have you tried any later versions?

Yes, I see the differences in the labeling now. Sweet.

Glad you like it so much. I completely agree. Have you tried any later versions?
    As I mentioned before, sadly, nope. But I'm curious to see its other versions as 90s one and the one from today...to gain some info and make some comparasions.

Jules is the fragrance that deflowered my nose by all means, had only a miniature (now I know it was pretty much off because all I could smell was green stuff, nothing animalic) when I was dabbing my hand while I was going to high-school in the cold dark mornings of autumn-winter...
    Oh such memories...

Now in university, wore it like 2-3 times, no reactions at all, maybe the teachers were too scared or fallen in love secretly ? lol

I know for sure that the classmates were all ewww no shower for a week ?!
    Last edited by Deleanu; 13th May 2019 at 04:34 AM.

As I mentioned before, sadly, nope. But I'm curious to see its other versions as 90s one and the one from today...to gain some info and make some comparasions.

Jules is the fragrance that deflowered my nose by all means, had only a miniature (now I know it was pretty much off because I all I could smell was green stuff, nothing animalic) when I was dabbing my hand while I was going to high-school in the cold dark mornings of autumn-winter...
    Oh such memories...

Now in university, wore it like 2-3 times, no reactions at all, maybe the teachers were too scared or fallen in love secretly ? lol

I know for sure that the classmates were all ewww no shower for a week ?!
    I suspect the people making the "no shower" comments may have been secretly in love - jilted lovers who wished they'd found Jules first.

I suspect the people making the "no shower" comments may have been secretly in love - jilted lovers who wished they'd found Jules first.
    Trust me, they are Invictus, Sauvage oversprayers and of course Black Orchid in summer fanboys.

Freed from BN Institution

I must confess I never had the chance to try this one ever. All this discussion is making me think I should consider give this a try.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I must confess I never had the chance to try this one ever. All this discussion is making me think I should consider give this a try.
    Do it ! Just do it !

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I had to grow into it, somewhat, to fully appreciate it.
    It was love at first sniff for me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.