Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 96
  1. #61

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Ha. I forgot about them.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

  2. #62
    Dependent
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,110
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    Clive Christian WEARING THE CROWN SINCE 1872

    Clive Christian was born in 1951

    LOL!!!!!

  3. #63

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Clive Christian WEARING THE CROWN SINCE 1872

    Clive Christian was born in 1951
    But let's be extremely honest here. That's just marketing you've described thus far. Stretching the truth just to say that you probably serviced JFK or knew the king choice of notes is something that they can pull back and have a moment of truth - meaning that they can be honest and state it as simple marketing and not much more.

    But to state over and over that your process includes variations due mostly to raw materials and it's already questionable that those raw materials are the culprit; that's outright lying.

    The key issue is how you package it all up. One to sell, one to mislead. Both are bad but hearing the continued stretched truths is problematic.

    Perhaps Clive inherited the crown from Crown Perfumery Company, the company that he bought. And having the ability to look back at past saddles and other work, that's what Creed leans on. Eight & Bob reads like a fanciful story told over great scotch in front of a fire and the person is being one-upped just told a story about how he captured that infamous Loch Ness photo.

    But who knows. In the end, what really matters? That you like the scent the most or the marketing the most?

    I tend to purchase based on what smells good.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

  4. #64

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    What's next - Armani isn't really Italian? It's all marketing like some American pasta sauces?

  5. #65
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    37,218

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    In short the best thing to do would be to secure an earlier batch bottle, assuming it's a Millesime bottle.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  6. #66
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    37,218

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    But let's be extremely honest here. That's just marketing you've described thus far. Stretching the truth just to say that you probably serviced JFK or knew the king choice of notes is something that they can pull back and have a moment of truth - meaning that they can be honest and state it as simple marketing and not much more.

    But to state over and over that your process includes variations due mostly to raw materials and it's already questionable that those raw materials are the culprit; that's outright lying.

    The key issue is how you package it all up. One to sell, one to mislead. Both are bad but hearing the continued stretched truths is problematic.

    Perhaps Clive inherited the crown from Crown Perfumery Company, the company that he bought. And having the ability to look back at past saddles and other work, that's what Creed leans on. Eight & Bob reads like a fanciful story told over great scotch in front of a fire and the person is being one-upped just told a story about how he captured that infamous Loch Ness photo.

    But who knows. In the end, what really matters? That you like the scent the most or the marketing the most?

    I tend to purchase based on what smells good.
    From what I understand Clive Christian's works really started from the time he purchased and released his first fragrances which was around 2001.

    Similarly Creed's work in perfumery truly started in 1970 when Olivier took over the company.

    Those are the real years to keep in mind and not 1872 and 1760 for respective houses.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  7. #67
    Basenotes Institution dougczar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    30,149

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Those are the real years to keep in mind and not 1872 and 1760 for respective houses.
    But why? Unless you are interested in trivia. Does it matter if a house was around for 200 years or 2? Would that make it smell any different? I would much rather buy a new release that smelled great from a new house than buy a bottle of something mediocre that was released by a house that could prove they were cranking out stuff for generations.
    Current Summer Favorites:

    1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

  8. #68

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    ' You, Sirs are a lying bunch of f...ing cu.ts '

    oh, sorry this is my stock response to other Houses / Organisations

  9. #69

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Does it matter if a house was around for 200 years or 2? Would that make it smell any different? I would much rather buy a new release that smelled great from a new house than buy a bottle of something mediocre that was released by a house that could prove they were cranking out stuff for generations.
    Good juice for a fair price is good juice for a fair price.

    But Creed prices aren't what I'd call fair. Even from discounters, you end up paying a good amount. Creed charges a premium for that Creed-brand prestige and cachet, so I think it's fair for consumers to question their branding because they end up paying for it.

  10. #70
    Dependent schnozz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    NY / DC
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    But why? Unless you are interested in trivia. Does it matter if a house was around for 200 years or 2? Would that make it smell any different? I would much rather buy a new release that smelled great from a new house than buy a bottle of something mediocre that was released by a house that could prove they were cranking out stuff for generations.
    One must assume that a very significant portion of Creed customers do eat up all the BS and it does matter to them, or why else would the company go through gyrations to dream it up and dish it out so consistently? And if it doesn't matter to them, why do so many Creed fans jerk like a gaffed salmon at the suggestion that the BS is just that?
    Last edited by schnozz; 13th May 2019 at 03:04 PM.

  11. #71
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    6,386

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    ' You, Sirs are a lying bunch of f...ing cu.ts '

    oh, sorry this is my stock response to other Houses / Organisations
    Response? When they ask you to complete a survey?

  12. #72
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    571

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Good juice for a fair price is good juice for a fair price.

    But Creed prices aren't what I'd call fair. Even from discounters, you end up paying a good amount. Creed charges a premium for that Creed-brand prestige and cachet, so I think it's fair for consumers to question their branding because they end up paying for it.
    You don't really pay for the brand in case of Creed - you pay for unique fragrances. That's why people who hate Creed still wear their fragrances. Clones don't cut it in terms of quality and\or richness. If Creed produced mediocre fragrances they wouldn't be so successful.
    I love most of my Creeds and with EU prices they are very affordable and cheaper then a lot of other niche houses that aren't as good.
    I don't care about their history or whatever. I wear them for personal enjoyment. And people I hang out with never heard of Creed, to them it is as luxury as any other drug store fragrance, since they don't know the difference between any brands

  13. #73

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Response? When they ask you to complete a survey?
    Ha -- some chance of that

    No, as a response to their replies to my whingeing letters

  14. #74

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    Quote Originally Posted by Zizzy View Post
    You don't really pay for the brand in case of Creed - you pay for unique fragrances.
    I don't wanna get into a longwinded argument about Veblen goods and luxury marketing strategies, but while I do think Creed generally offers well-made, distinct fragrances, Creed is definitely playing the "luxury pricing" game here to maintain an air of exclusivity.

    They're not anywhere near the only brand to do this, of course, so I'm not singling Creed out here, though I think it's altogether pretty silly to say that Creed doesn't inflate their prices on the basis of brand cachet and desirability.

    Discounter prices almost certainly reflect actual market value a little better, but the effects of supply/demand are still skewed by brand cachet.

  15. #75
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    6,386

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Ha -- some chance of that

    No, as a response to their replies to my whingeing letters
    So you're getting slighted twice before you fire off the one-line missive. It sounds like their replies never really satisfy.

  16. #76

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    So you're getting slighted twice before you fire off the one-line missive.
    You're right

    Maybe I should just send the one-line out in a letter randomly to wealthy businesses

  17. #77
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    571

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I don't wanna get into a longwinded argument about Veblen goods and luxury marketing strategies, but while I do think Creed generally offers well-made, distinct fragrances, Creed is definitely playing the "luxury pricing" game here to maintain an air of exclusivity.

    They're not anywhere near the only brand to do this, of course, so I'm not singling Creed out here, though I think it's altogether pretty silly to say that Creed doesn't inflate their prices on the basis of brand cachet and desirability.

    Discounter prices almost certainly reflect actual market value a little better, but the effects of supply/demand are still skewed by brand cachet.
    Sure, Creed is a luxury fragrances manufacturer. And US prices are crazy. But what I meant here is that you, as a basenoter buy Creed because their fragrances are great, not because they are luxury

  18. #78

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    Quote Originally Posted by Zizzy View Post
    You don't really pay for the brand in case of Creed - you pay for unique fragrances. That's why people who hate Creed still wear their fragrances. Clones don't cut it in terms of quality and\or richness. If Creed produced mediocre fragrances they wouldn't be so successful.
    I love most of my Creeds and with EU prices they are very affordable and cheaper then a lot of other niche houses that aren't as good.
    I don't care about their history or whatever. I wear them for personal enjoyment. And people I hang out with never heard of Creed, to them it is as luxury as any other drug store fragrance, since they don't know the difference between any brands
    But isn't it deemed to be niche - because of the Creed brand and history in addition to the juice? You are paying for the whole "experience" so to speak.

    I have seen debates on this forum from time to time - that they are many lower priced or designer fragrances that are just as good as any niche fragrance and even better in some cases. Like any product on the market, the higher prices are because you are paying for the name primarily. Just like clothes.

    I mean I have seen people online that have bought knock off Creed products where the bottle is the same - just so they can have the illusion of having a Creed bottle on their stand or try to fool people on social media that they have the real thing. It's a status thing for many people and that's what people are buying into beyond the juice. Even if the juice was as good as Creed's, I am not so sure fragrance enthusiasts would be as proud to have the bottle on their shelf - if the brand was called Bob's Cologne Shack. It just doesn't have the same cachet as what Creed tries to sell with their history.

  19. #79

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post
    Even if the juice was as good as Creed's, I am not so sure fragrance enthusiasts would be as proud to have the bottle on their shelf - if the brand was called Bob's Cologne Shack. It just doesn't have the same cachet as what Creed tries to sell with their history.
    Yup. Branding matters because branding has a significant influence on psychology; it builds a context, and we consciously and subconsciously interpret experience according to context.

    You can build a watch that is identical in aesthetics and build quality to a Rolex Submariner, but while some folks might be happy with it, it's not going to be received the same way because that Rolex name--and all the perceived heritage and status that goes with it--actually shapes the experience of the physical object.

  20. #80
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    571

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post
    Like any product on the market, the higher prices are because you are paying for the name primarily. Just like clothes.
    I disagree with clothing argument. On clothing you have a designer's label that you can show off. You can't do that with fragrance.
    I remember funny story from a subway ride a few years ago - there was a girl with Acne (expensive as hell, but at least good quality niche designer) scarf. She flipped her scarf so public could see a big Acne's label on it. Because otherwise that scarf looked like any other scarf out there that you can buy at 5-10 times lower price.
    Check out any Gucci\D&G\Prade\etc designer's T-Shirt in store - they cost hundreds of dollars, their quality is crap, but they have huge logos all over it, so public would know you are a fool that wasted a ton of money on this shit

  21. #81

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    Quote Originally Posted by Zizzy View Post
    I disagree with clothing argument. On clothing you have a designer's label that you can show off. You can't do that with fragrance.
    I remember funny story from a subway ride a few years ago - there was a girl with Acne (expensive as hell, but at least good quality niche designer) scarf. She flipped her scarf so public could see a big Acne's label on it. Because otherwise that scarf looked like any other scarf out there that you can buy at 5-10 times lower price.
    Check out any Gucci\D&G\Prade\etc designer's T-Shirt in store - they cost hundreds of dollars, their quality is crap, but they have huge logos all over it, so public would know you are a fool that wasted a ton of money on this shit
    In the social media world we live in - people do exactly that with niche colognes with photos of their fragrance collections, etc. Hence the reason why people will even go so far as to buy knock off Creed bottles. To show it off in Facebook cologne groups and the like as the real thing. Just like designer clothes in the real world. It's all about looking too cool for school.

  22. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    161

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    Quote Originally Posted by schnozz View Post
    One must assume that a very significant portion of Creed customers do eat up all the BS and it does matter to them, or why else would the company go through gyrations to dream it up and dish it out so consistently? And if it doesn't matter to them, why do so many Creed fans jerk like a gaffed salmon at the suggestion that the BS is just that?
    Relevant supply- and demand-side evidence of BS codependency.

  23. #83
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    37,218

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    But why? Unless you are interested in trivia. Does it matter if a house was around for 200 years or 2? Would that make it smell any different? I would much rather buy a new release that smelled great from a new house than buy a bottle of something mediocre that was released by a house that could prove they were cranking out stuff for generations.
    I was pointing out the established facts. Unfortunately individuals continue to spin the narrative of their history and distort the facts and try to feed it to the average consumers and online media.

    I take Creed on a case to case basis of each of their fragrances - past or present. Unfortunately Creed is not what they used to be 10, 15, 20 years ago.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  24. #84

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    I like how they said:

    "From my experience with the company, I can certainly say that I personally haven't received any complaints regarding Green Irish Tweed fragrance."

    ONLY AVENTUS!

  25. #85

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    If you wrote to Chanel about a bad bottle you received they'd immediately apologize, tell you to keep the one you have, and that a replacement has been sent and is already on its way to your house.

    Creed gives you a small essay which could have been more concisely summed up in 3 words: "Deal with it."


    But to be honest, in the end, I just don't care. I think they're stuff smells great, and if you're buying their bottles off the gray market for $300 less than retail, there are certain risks you take.

  26. #86
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    6,386

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    Quote Originally Posted by dogma View Post
    BS codependency
    Being dependent on bullshit is an interesting notion: needing hyperbole to cope. It gives me a chuckle.

  27. #87
    Basenotes Institution dougczar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    30,149

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    If you wrote to Chanel about a bad bottle you received they'd immediately apologize, tell you to keep the one you have, and that a replacement has been sent and is already on its way to your house.

    Creed gives you a small essay which could have been more concisely summed up in 3 words: "Deal with it."
    I read it a little differently. I read it this way (ignoring all the smarmy PR fluff): If you bought it from an authorized store, then bring it in and if it smells any different from the testers, we will gladly refund your money. What is implied in that was that if you bought it from some shady online reseller or out of some guys trunk, then that's on you.

    In other words, if you bought it legitimately from authorized seller, we will work with your concerns. But if you didn't, you can take it up with someone else. I would be curious how some other companies deal with gray market and being contacted about returns. Call Armani and tell them you bought a bottle on eBay and it doesn't smell the same to you. I wonder what that response would be - probably similar, just without the over-the-top salesman hooey.


    Chanel does not have that problem, because their distribution is so tight - you don't find gray market Chanel's. And if you do... run the other way. They are more sure if you have it you received it from them or from authorized retailers - not from a hot warehouse in Central America.


    And as far as reformulations, I'm pretty sure most companies deny it. I would like to see some version number on the bottle or something from these companies, but that would be too many other problems/issues I suppose.
    Current Summer Favorites:

    1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

  28. #88

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I read it a little differently. I read it this way (ignoring all the smarmy PR fluff): If you bought it from an authorized store, then bring it in and if it smells any different from the testers, we will gladly refund your money. What is implied in that was that if you bought it from some shady online reseller or out of some guys trunk, then that's on you.

    In other words, if you bought it legitimately from authorized seller, we will work with your concerns. But if you didn't, you can take it up with someone else.
    I would be curious how some other companies deal with gray market and being contacted about returns. Call Armani and tell them you bought a bottle on eBay and it doesn't smell the same to you. I wonder what that response would be - probably similar, just without the over-the-top salesman hooey.


    Chanel does not have that problem, because their distribution is so tight - you don't find gray market Chanel's. And if you do... run the other way. They are more sure if you have it you received it from them or from authorized retailers - not from a hot warehouse in Central America.


    And as far as reformulations, I'm pretty sure most companies deny it. I would like to see some version number on the bottle or something from these companies, but that would be too many other problems/issues I suppose.

    I agree completely, and I was going to mention something about that at the end: If the OP bought his bottle of GIT from the gray market, then why on earth should Creed care about it smelling off? For all he knows it could have sat inside a shipping container in the broiling sun as it slowly crossed the Atlantic in July, then ended up traveling around the back of a U-Haul in Minnesota in January, before finally getting dumped in a warehouse somewhere in Long Island City (an illogical route, but you get my point).

    I don't know if the OP mentioned how he obtained the bottle, and whether or not he told Creed about that either. I didn't see it explained in the original thread. I'd be curious to know if it was from a Creed store or not, as that sort of changes the whole nature of the response (and the nature of his complaint).

  29. #89
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    178

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    Hey, at least they're official stance is believable. Would actually like it if it's true.

  30. #90
    Dependent Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,103

    Default Re: A response from Creed re complaint about batch inconsistencies

    Creed probably tells their sales associates at the boutiques to emphasize batch variations because the first time I went to Saks, it was one of the first things the Creed rep told me when I was sampling. She said that each year they make a new batch and since they use more natural ingredients, depending on when and where the ingredients were raised, and made, will affect the overall structure of the scent.
    At the time, I figured she was just explaining that because she had so much knowledge. Looking back, they're probably instructed to say this.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren




Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Creed Aventus - last 120ml batch and first 100ml batch
    By gts in forum Creed Aventus Subforum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14th September 2018, 03:51 AM
  2. Daver's response to Jeremy's Response (for those keeping score)
    By Dandydude in forum Shameless Self Promotion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 4th September 2016, 02:23 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12th September 2015, 07:46 AM
  4. What can Creed do to fix the batch inconsistencies?
    By Nate3380 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 29th August 2014, 11:33 PM
  5. Creed Himalaya batch numbers/good batch.
    By Dawg15 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 16th June 2012, 11:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000