Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: New: La Nuit de L'Homme Eau de Parfum (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Hope to pick this up tomorrow in Nice.
    Will be looking foreword to your thoughts. Are you familiar with the original formulation La Nuit?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
    Will be looking foreword to your thoughts. Are you familiar with the original formulation La Nuit?
    Yes - have all the other flankers previously released.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

is this out in US yet? I looked cant seem to find it?

I got my brother to buy a bottle for me, because it is available in Norway. Unfortunately I am out of the country for three more weeks. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Yes - have all the other flankers previously released.
    Very cool. Please share your thoughts once you've had an opportunity to test.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    One of the most baffling reformulations of all time. At a quick glance there was nothing in it that was restricted by the IFRA so I wonder why they messed around with a winning formula?

The only thing I could think of was that it was driving the majority share of the sales and they wanted attention for their other flankers but that again makes no sense from a business perspective as one guaranteed good seller is far better than 10 that may potentially sell more or less. They evidently read the furor online given that its been tweaked twice or thrice to amp the performance.

Personally I'm surprised they didn't niche out the formula with a richer style and relaunch it as part of the Le Vestiare range because had they done it easily would've been the star of the show for that selection as the original was a very well put together scent with the best cardamon note I'd ever inhaled.
    Some fragrances get reformulated due to perfumers parting ways with a house as well as general contractual stipulations.

As for the fragrance- I have bottles of both the 1st & second version(1st reformulation). Once the reformulation bottle is allowed a few months to mature they’re almost indistinguishable. The main difference is the reform is a hint ‘lighter’, but again it’s barely noticeable. Even a seasoned nose would struggle to tell the difference(s) imo.

Each following reformulation is a different story- they got weaker & weaker and obviously much more noticeable.

That said... I’ve always secretly wondered if the first version had a speck of civet.

Looking forward to trying the new version, but as another member said- I won’t hold my breath. YSL hasn’t put out anything good since the original La nuit. A once legendary house that I no longer have faith in.

So is this released yet? I can't find it anywhere here in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by lleblanc1986 View Post
    So is this released yet? I can't find it anywhere here in the US.
    I asked the rep at the YSL counter in macys, and she claims it wont be a US release, but I don't take anything they say at face value. She actually said I should look online and try to order it that way from other sites that will ship to US.

I hope she didn't know what she was talking about

I'd find it odd if this wasn't a US release. But, hey, distribution is often weird.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, English Laundry Windsor, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I'd find it odd if this wasn't a US release. But, hey, distribution is often weird.
    Maybe some ingredients in it prohibited in US. Dior does it all the time, DHP never released in US

Quote Originally Posted by wikes82 View Post
    Dior does it all the time, DHP never released in US
    Yeah, but La Nuit has some brand cred in the US and is probably one of YSL's better sellers over here. I'd think that a new Nuit flanker--especially a "fresher" one--would do well in the US market.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, English Laundry Windsor, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Quote Originally Posted by lleblanc1986 View Post
    I hope she didn't know what she was talking about
    Same I also emailed ysl directly asking when and if it will be released in the US and sent them the direct link, but never got a response.

I guess worst case can order online if possible but I am not a big fan of blind buying at all

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I'm set in my ways in believing that the original formulation of the original La Nuit is the best. I will give it a try if I do come across it.
    Ditto.

I was actually surprised to hear the news of this new "Eau De Parfum" version of Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme being that the Le Parfum & L'Intense flankers already exist! As we all know there have been many different flankers for L'Homme & La Nuit de L'Homme but few have even come close to the original fragrances.. In the case of La Nuit de L'Homme I found Le Parfum enjoyable but not quite as good as the original fragrance.. I found L'Intense interesting yet I felt it strayed too far from what made the original fragrance so appealing.. I have yet to get my nose on Eau Electrique! As a big fan of the original fragrance I myself did not really appreciate La Nuit de L'Homme enough until it was too late & the reformulations took place! I would love to just see the original fragrance brought back to it's former glory! If this new EDP is similar enough to the original fragrance with maybe a stronger performance than what is currently available it could be great! I am not too big a fan of the bottle as it looks so similar to the L'Intense bottle but the juice is really what matters.. I have my hopes up but I wouldn't be surprised if this could be a disappointment.. Anyways I hope to get my nose on this as soon as possible, in the meantime I hope to hear some feedback from others who get to it first!

A comparison from those who experienced one or more of these three confusingly marketed scents would be helpful. I personally am still trying to find out more about the information that the "Frozen Cologne" will be available again.

"La Nuit de l’Homme New Eau de Parfum is a sulfurous perfume, all about attraction and deep-seated sensuality, dedicated to a man who is seductive, enigmatic and daring. The olfactory composition bears a close resemblance to the one of the iconic Eau de Toilette: the familiar oriental spicy accord of cardamom and tonka bean is enriched with a woody accord that consists of sandalwood, patchouli, sage and leather to give a sense of sensuality, power and addiction. An incandescent fragrance that brings a new ferocity to the effortless masculinity of the world of La Nuit de l’Homme."

Anyone managed a sniff or test of this yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by APS View Post
    Anyone managed a sniff or test of this yet ?
    I have a decant on the way to me.
    It should arrive very soon and then I can report back here, what my thoughts are.

Basenotes Junkie

Saw it at the mall today. I'd just stick with the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    so it is available in the US ?

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight99 View Post
    I got my brother to buy a bottle for me, because it is available in Norway. Unfortunately I am out of the country for three more weeks. Bummer.
    Really? I haven't seen it yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    what store in the mall?

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mfinz8 View Post
    "La Nuit de l’Homme New Eau de Parfum is a sulfurous perfume"
    Sulfurous, eh? That classic egg fart smell I associate with hot springs and gases bubbling up from the bowels of the earth.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Sulfurous, eh? That classic egg fart smell I associate with hot springs and gases bubbling up from the bowels of the earth.
    someone has to take up the reins now ADG Eggcenza is discontinued
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Really? I haven't seen it yet...
    My brother got it from Kicks yesterday. Unfortunately I am still more than two weeks away to get my nose on it.

parfum.jpg

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

My brother got it from Kicks yesterday. Unfortunately I am still more than two weeks away to get my nose on it.

parfum.jpg
    We look forward to your impressions upon your return.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie

parfum.jpg
    We have it in Sweden in Kicks too. I wanted to go to test it this Saturday, but got sick and had to stay home

So I've got my decant already and tested it.
    I've written a review, unfortunately it's in German: https://www.parfumo.de/Parfums/Yves_...mentare/116025

Here's a translation for you guys (and sorry about some mistakes in language, I have run it through the Google translate and corrected it just a bit here and there):

"Woah, a new La Nuit perfume!

In any case, a hot test candidate, I thought to myself, as I really appreciate the original La Nuit EdT and the Frozen Cologne so much.

To be clear - I did not (like some others here) assume that YSL now wanted to bring the original version of the EdT disguised as a "perfume" on the market. Why? Has there ever been an official statement and concession from YSL in the sense of "Yes, we have reformulated the EdT to death and watered it down ..."? I don’t know such a thing. Therefore, it would make no sense to have the perfume now as a "better" variant of EdTs in the range, especially since the EdT is still available.
    Accordingly, I will evaluate the EdP as a separate fragrance, but of course still draw a comparison to the EdT.

The first sprays land on a piece of paper to get a first impression. It hardly smells like the fragrance of the EdT, a bit fruity, a bit sweet, and a note remotely similar to Tom Ford's Ombre Leather. But leather is not in it? Okay, let's see how the scent works on the skin.

The fragrance sets off with a mild freshness and a fruity, somewhat indefinable mish-mash that reminds a bit of Rasasi Hawa's style. According to the pyramid, grapefruit should be used here - well, I generally experienced that a bit more sparkling from other scents. With a bit of imagination, you could crawl out a very mild and heavily sugared grapefruit - it looks more like a tangerine with a hint of Hawas "melon".

While I'm still considering how best to classify the citrus notes, they're almost gone. After 5 minutes, similarities to the original EdT become apparent in the Drydown, albeit darker and more contemporary in style with a certain "bubblegum" impact (Hello Code Profumo!). Even associations with shower gel fragrances can not be completely dismissed here, although Ambroxan, which is so popular today, can not be seen here. Phew!

In comparison, the EdT (here the 2014 Collector's Edition) starts much brighter, sparkling, fresher with a beautiful lively (!) Bergamot. The dry-down of the EdT after 5 to 10 minutes makes the EdP just look odd in direct comparison. Here you can smell the cardamom paired with the lavender, and this unique La Nuit DNA that so many perfume lovers have forfeited. Yes, I am one of them!

Well, the EdP is just a different fragrance and maybe it shines in it’s own way? The attentive reader will notice at the point that I'm a bit struggling to find the EdP really good.

Is the EdP just a "spicier" version of the EdT? Clearly not, the EdT has more pepper, more wood, smells "more open", while the EdP begins to collapse after half an hour as a scent and becomes more and more a somewhat diffuse "mud" from what it wants to be smellwise. It is noteworthy here that both fragrances smelled directly on the skin at that time are even more similar than in the sillage.

Anyone who has hoped the EdP to be a scent like the older EdT including its effect on other people, will simply be disappointed. Of course, I do not mean that with the EdT usually all the ladies of the world languidly dropping their panties, no, no - but you will hardly be able to deny that the original is quite a popular fragrance and not just the wearer himself enjoys it. The EdP simply smells different in the sillage and there has nothing, but really nothing of the "magic" of the EdT. Likewise, I would not say that the projection of the EdPs is stronger than the EdTs.

In the further drydown of the EdP it’s always muffled (that was probably the "leather" on the paper test), while the EdT even after 3 hours smelled closely is still lively including the citrus notes which can bloom and be sent into the world any time when the wearer starts to sweat a bit, which is simply no longer possible in EdP in that way. Even the lavender is clearly recognizable in the EdT, while it is becoming more abstract in the EdP and is more and more overshadowed by a sweetish sticky base, which has to accept the charge of a certain "synthetics" in the negative sense rightly. Unfortunately, this construct also tends to stay on the skin and outlast the actual scent, even if it's already gone, for a few hours. Luckily we are not dealing with the olfactory charm of an industrial adhesive here, as is often the case with other fragrances. Nevertheless, I can’t really get much pleasure from this slightly scratchy and strangely even buttery base of the EdP from the 4th hour.

Where are sandalwood, patchouli and vetiver left? Notes that I really like? They all have probably fallen into a mixer in the lab, were shredded and barely recognizable glued together. That's how it seems to me, and the thought of "plastic" comes to mind. Too bad.

What is left to say?

Judging by the new releases in the designer genre, the La Nuit Parfum is not a bad scent, it is solid, offers a nice start and gives you a little La Nuit feeling, at least for a short time after the start (max 30 minutes). The Parfum is for me but at the same time one of these fragrances that should be bought by only sniffing the top notes in the store after a short time.

The EdP is not a worthy replacement or successor to the now unfortunately watered down EdT. It's another fragrance that I think can not compete with the EdT at all. I have felt like after the third hour, it would be better to wash off the EdP, because this base has annoyed me a bit - the EdT, however, I like completely from the beginning to the last whiff, which I can still sniff on the skin. THAT makes the difference for me.

I strongly advise against a blind purchase in the hope of getting a fragrance like the old EdT and would consider as an alternative to the perfume again the La Nuit Eau Electrique, which wants to be a more potent, modern and “young” version of the EdT and comes along more authentic, if one may say so about a perfume.
    Otherwise, personally, if I would like to get the original La Nuit smell and do not want to spend the money on a pre-2016 bottle, I would rather buy a bottle of the current EdT than the new perfume.

EDIT:
    What I wanted to say, because I also made a test on paper parallel to the comparison test on the skin: The perfume leaves orange-yellowish spots, so I would not necessarily spray it on bright clothes!"

Banned

Another crappy flanker. Ah well!

Thanks for the impressions.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast