Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default New: La Nuit de L'Homme Eau de Parfum (2019)

Lets see if they get it right this time

375x500.55078.jpg

Top: Grapefruit, Cardamom
    Mid: ClarySage, Lavender, Leather
    Base: Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Tonka

Quote from Fragrantica: "... darker and more sensual take on the popular fragrance, intended for an "enigmatic, seductive and bold" man".

Default Re: New: La Nuit de L'Homme Eau de Parfum (2019)

Looks like the exact same bottle as L'Intense. Will definitely sample though!

Odd choice of making it look almost like L'Intense.

Note combo screams "I smell like everything else at the moment" though but if they bring back the original Cardamon accord then it could still be worth a sniff. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Odd choice of making it look almost like L'Intense.

Note combo screams "I smell like everything else at the moment" though but if they bring back the original Cardamon accord then it could still be worth a sniff. Thanks for the info.
    Pretty much my thoughts as well.

Luckily, this should be easy to sample.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Appreciate the info and will keep my eyes open.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

Colour me interested! The notes look very appealing to me, and I like most of the La Nuit de l’Homme flankers. This will probably be a blind-buy for me.

But the similarity to the Intense bottle confused me initially. Since they are discontinuing the Intense flanker, perhaps the Intense bottle design was too good to waste (or is it a cost cutting thing?).

On the German Parfumo forum one guy has already got his bottle and said, it's basically similar to the vintage La Nuit EDT, but slightly spicier.
    He's taken a few photos, too, which are shown here: https://www.parfumo.de/forum/viewtop...84451&start=25

I doubt, that it smells similar to the original La Nuit, but we'll see.
    As I own several backup bottles of the Collector's edition I don't mind anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    On the German Parfumo forum one guy has already got his bottle and said, it's basically similar to the vintage La Nuit EDT, but slightly spicier.
    He's taken a few photos, too, which are shown here: https://www.parfumo.de/forum/viewtop...84451&start=25

I doubt, that it smells similar to the original La Nuit, but we'll see.
    As I own several backup bottles of the Collector's edition I don't mind anyway.
    honestly the impressions on that link sound very encouraging

the guy says he has a 2009 bottle for comparison so i'd put some sort of stock into what he's saying. apparently it's less fresh, more spicy and stronger/denser smelling than the vintage EDT and fairly close in scent. isn't this what people have wanted all along? maybe YSL listened, they could probably charge a pretty penny too.

get a hype train started and it would glorious to watch the price of all those older bottles drop through the floor, lol.

but then again the current fragrantica feedback doesn't strike up any similarities to the original EDT, so who knows. but judging from the notes if they get the cardamom right it could be a winner. i'm not sure if anyone wore la nuit as a 'fresh' scent, that isn't so important as it was always about the spice aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by wilfred View Post

but then again the current fragrantica feedback doesn't strike up any similarities to the original EDT, so who knows. but judging from the notes if they get the cardamom right it could be a winner. i'm not sure if anyone wore la nuit as a 'fresh' scent but that isn't so important as it was always about the spice aspect.
    Haven't seen that until now:

Screenshot_2019-05-12 La Nuit de L'Homme Eau de Parfum Yves Saint Laurent cologne - a new fragra.png

Sounds totally different to me.
    I will try it out when it hits the stores here in Germany, probably it will be available earlier than in the US.
    Then I will report back here how I think it smells like.

Again and again its been highlighted that impression wise most people don't know their arse from their basenotes and the proof is in the sniffing but the paradoxical reviews and potential of it bringing that old thang back has got this on my "to sample" list because ultimately the only nose to trust is your own.

Can't wait to try this, but won't hold my breath too much. Thanks for sharing!

This looks interesting, I'll definitely try to get a tester of the ASAP. The scent of the EDT is one of the greats IMO, but the performance leaves me wanting for more. I'm hoping this smells very similar, but with great performance.

Perhaps others want something different, but for a newcomer who wasn't around for the older formulations of the EDT, this could be an answer to our prayers. Fingers crossed.

Freed from BN Institution

I'm set in my ways in believing that the original formulation of the original La Nuit is the best. I will give it a try if I do come across it.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Looking forward to trying it!

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I'm set in my ways in believing that the original formulation of the original La Nuit is the best. I will give it a try if I do come across it.
    Same but I would love to see a fresh offering that attempts to make amends for corrupting such a beautiful blend
    In silence, with body and mind still, a depth of understanding may be achieved that is not available to one who languishes at the mercy of life’s relentless chatter.
    Currently wearing: Pour Un Homme by Caron

Again and again its been highlighted that impression wise most people don't know their arse from their basenotes and the proof is in the sniffing but the paradoxical reviews and potential of it bringing that old thang back has got this on my "to sample" list because ultimately the only nose to trust is your own.
    Pretty much the last word, bro, and we'll see if YSL can make it happen! Some like Dior seem to bring back some of the old Fahrenheit flame that once burned and houses seem to be regretting some of their brash reformulations.
    In silence, with body and mind still, a depth of understanding may be achieved that is not available to one who languishes at the mercy of life’s relentless chatter.

Talking Re: New: La Nuit de L'Homme Eau de Parfum (2019)

Make sure you go to Fragrantica and read all the "reviews"

btw, I've never owned a La Nuit.. haven't cared for the original after trying it several times. Maybe I'll like this one, so it's not a complete waste if it gets guys to try the brand that never did before or didn't like the original

Hmm I'll definitely sample at least. If it does smell like Encre Noire Extreme, per the comment above, then I'm intrigued. I owned a bottle of the regular La Nuit a few years ago when I was first getting into fragrances. I liked it at the time, but now that I've had more experience it seems a bit generic. Nothing bad, definitely a crowd pleaser. But would be interesting to see it taken in a more complex direction.

Que scay-je?

It won't match the original La Nuit formulation in terms of scent, but it might be a step above the current juice.
    Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book, just turn the page.

"It smells really good, it's not Aventus though."
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Not really interested at all in trying this, especially because they had to discontinue La Collection Rive Gauche for it. Guess I have to get that one ASAP before prices skyrocket. Thank God Kouros is still available
    9F092A0D-0DBC-4917-9796-F3BAC0922E91.jpg
    Sorry if the pic is blurry, they emailed me back while I’m away from the computer so I took a phone screenshot. It reads:
    May 14, 2019

Dear Jack,

Thank you for contacting Yves Saint Laurent Beauté.

Thank you for asking us about Rive Gauche pour Homme. We are sorry to tell you that it was discontinued and that we do not have any available for you to purchase.

We understand the frustration you must feel concerning the disappearance of products which you have enjoyed using. It is never easy for us to make the decision to discontinue any of our products. We truly regret any inconvenience this may have caused you.

We do not currently have a replacement product to suggest to you, but our creative teams are hard at work coming up with new and exciting products. Please continue to visit our website to learn about our latest offerings.

We appreciate your interest in Yves Saint Laurent Beauté.

Best regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle08 View Post
    It won't match the original La Nuit formulation in terms of scent.
    One of the most baffling reformulations of all time. At a quick glance there was nothing in it that was restricted by the IFRA so I wonder why they messed around with a winning formula?

The only thing I could think of was that it was driving the majority share of the sales and they wanted attention for their other flankers but that again makes no sense from a business perspective as one guaranteed good seller is far better than 10 that may potentially sell more or less. They evidently read the furor online given that its been tweaked twice or thrice to amp the performance.

Personally I'm surprised they didn't niche out the formula with a richer style and relaunch it as part of the Le Vestiare range because had they done it easily would've been the star of the show for that selection as the original was a very well put together scent with the best cardamon note I'd ever inhaled.

Not yet available in the USA I guess?

One of the most baffling reformulations of all time. At a quick glance there was nothing in it that was restricted by the IFRA so I wonder why they messed around with a winning formula?

The only thing I could think of was that it was driving the majority share of the sales and they wanted attention for their other flankers but that again makes no sense from a business perspective as one guaranteed good seller is far better than 10 that may potentially sell more or less. They evidently read the furor online given that its been tweaked twice or thrice to amp the performance.

Personally I'm surprised they didn't niche out the formula with a richer style and relaunch it as part of the Le Vestiare range because had they done it easily would've been the star of the show for that selection as the original was a very well put together scent with the best cardamon note I'd ever inhaled.
    And with all that information you can draw the conclusion that they did not reformulate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack103 View Post
    Not really interested at all in trying this, especially because they had to discontinue La Collection Rive Gauche for it. Guess I have to get that one ASAP before prices skyrocket. Thank God Kouros is still available
    9F092A0D-0DBC-4917-9796-F3BAC0922E91.jpg
    Sorry if the pic is blurry, they emailed me back while I’m away from the computer so I took a phone screenshot. It reads:
    Farewell Rive Gauche! It wasn't exactly cheap as it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Farewell Rive Gauche! It wasn't exactly cheap as-is.
    Surprising but this practice is no longer surprising to me anymore, with Chanel’s latest decision to pull Pour Monsieur EDP I don’t think the future is going to look good for these classic masculines that easily out class the crap most houses are pumping out today. Nothing beats a nice quality masculine fragrance its a shame these houses feel otherwise about their artwork.

Basenotes Junkie Danny Mitchell's Avatar

I've been wanting to pickup something in this line for quite a long time.
    I've been eyeing the L'Homme Intime, L'Homme Sport, the L'Intense, and the L'Nuit, and now this. Decisions decisions....

Basenotes Plus

Ive also been considering one for a while. No flanker seemed to hit the spot and perform acceptabley. Heres hoping for this one.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Dunhill Pursuit by Dunhill

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Hope to pick this up tomorrow in Nice.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    Ive also been considering one for a while. No flanker seemed to hit the spot and perform acceptabley. Heres hoping for this one.
    Honestly, it's nice to have variety and something for everyone, but it's a bit of an overload. I wouldn't mind it if they had completely different names, but they all sound the same. I hate that crap.