Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    Default Creed advertised ingredients- reads as synthetic

    Hi,

    I’ve recently bought into the Creed brand. Aventus as a blind buy (happy choice)
    Then I bought a tester set of 10 fragrances, plus a shop visit for the remaining few.

    I now have GIT and Himalya, too.

    Something that seems at odds with all the reviews though, is that the ingredient list of each reads as though they’re purely synthetic ‘recipes’

    Nowhere does it list particular fruits, woods, berries, just lots of multi-syllable words.

    Can anyone give me info on what the perfumes are made of, please. My (ignorant) POV, was that creed justified its massive price jump over other brands, with its natural ingredients vs the others synthetic mixes.

    I wouldn’t expect the whole liquid to be natural products, as there’s preservatives and probably other liquids to help maximise profit/yield.

    Please say that this is correct.
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

  2. #2
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    571

    Default Re: Creed advertised ingredients- reads as synthetic

    First of all - there is nothing wrong with synthetics.
    Second - manufacturers don't have to provide all info about ingredients, as far as I understand they have to state only specific substances - everything else goes under Perfume oil or something like that.
    No one (except Creed itself and those chemists who reverse engineered their fragrances) know how much naturals they use.
    You are paying premium price for the brand, it's marketing and outstanding fragrances. If you were not happy with the latter - you wouldn't buy them.

    P.S. Congratulations on your purchases, I love Aventus and Himalaya a lot! And just got myself GIT yesterday, but haven't worn it yet

  3. #3
    Dependent
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Cymru
    Posts
    1,256

    Default Re: Creed advertised ingredients- reads as synthetic

    Quote Originally Posted by Zizzy View Post
    First of all - there is nothing wrong with synthetics.
    Second - manufacturers don't have to provide all info about ingredients, as far as I understand they have to state only specific substances - everything else goes under Perfume oil or something like that.
    No one (except Creed itself and those chemists who reverse engineered their fragrances) know how much naturals they use.
    You are paying premium price for the brand, it's marketing and outstanding fragrances. If you were not happy with the latter - you wouldn't buy them.

    P.S. Congratulations on your purchases, I love Aventus and Himalaya a lot! And just got myself GIT yesterday, but haven't worn it yet
    Correct - it'd be listed under 'parfum' or 'fragrance'. Edit: It's the allergens present over specific percentages that are listed e.g. citronellal etc.
    Correct - there is nothing wrong with some synthetics, just as there are some things wrong with some naturals (IFRA restrictions are not without reason).

    Let's give the OP an example of synthetic versus natural...
    Q: We have a mixture of limonene, pinene, terpinene and terpineol (plus a couple other things). Is this synthetic?
    A: Perhaps, but not necessarily. All of these chemicals are components of lemon oil.

    Q: So, what's the difference between synthetically produced limonene and naturally isolated limonene?
    A: Chemically, nothing. There's something called stereochemistry which we'll gloss over for now, but synthetic R-(+)-Limonene and natural R-(+)-Limonene are the same.

    Q: Are synthetics nasty?
    A: They can be, but not necessarily. There's more control over synthetic moieties which means they may not trigger allergic reactions like naturals can. They can be but the likelihood is these wouldn't make it to the market, or would be heavily restricted.

    Q: Are naturals safe?
    A: Not necessarily. To extract naturals, sometimes you need hefty non-polar solvents like hexane. Though these are largely removed during the extraction process, there is the possibility for some to remain. The isolated ingredient may not be safe, either. e.g. ricin from castor beans (and yes, I do enjoy watching Breaking Bad), or known allergens.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Creed advertised ingredients- reads as synthetic

    Quote Originally Posted by simonr23 View Post
    Hi,

    I’ve recently bought into the Creed brand. Aventus as a blind buy (happy choice)
    Then I bought a tester set of 10 fragrances, plus a shop visit for the remaining few.

    I now have GIT and Himalya, too.

    Something that seems at odds with all the reviews though, is that the ingredient list of each reads as though they’re purely synthetic ‘recipes’

    Nowhere does it list particular fruits, woods, berries, just lots of multi-syllable words.

    Can anyone give me info on what the perfumes are made of, please. My (ignorant) POV, was that creed justified its massive price jump over other brands, with its natural ingredients vs the others synthetic mixes.

    I wouldn’t expect the whole liquid to be natural products, as there’s preservatives and probably other liquids to help maximise profit/yield.

    Please say that this is correct.

    Hey!! I once emailed creed boutique and asked the same question, how much natural raw materials go into aventus... the girl there said roughly 65%....so take that for what it’s worth.. hopefully she was being honest!
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

  5. #5

    Default Re: Creed advertised ingredients- reads as synthetic

    Quote Originally Posted by ArthurDB View Post
    Hey!! I once emailed creed boutique and asked the same question, how much natural raw materials go into aventus... the girl there said roughly 65%....so take that for what it’s worth.. hopefully she was being honest!
    You can't accuse them of lacking a sense of humor at Creed. Virtually all Creeds since GIT contain designer-level proportions of synthetics vs. naturals, i.e. mostly the former and a a smidgen of the latter to round off things. If the original poster is in the US, I'd suggest trying some perfumes by DSH or Providence Perfume Company to get an understanding of what (top notch) naturals smell like - you may not like them better than Creeds or other synth-dominant fragrances, but even an untrained nose can tell the difference.

  6. #6
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    282,267

    Default Re: Creed advertised ingredients- reads as synthetic

    Quote Originally Posted by simonr23 View Post
    Hi,

    I’ve recently bought into the Creed brand. Aventus as a blind buy (happy choice)
    Then I bought a tester set of 10 fragrances, plus a shop visit for the remaining few.

    I now have GIT and Himalya, too.
    Congrats on these acquisitions!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Creed advertised ingredients- reads as synthetic

    I have a theory that Creed used to use a lot more 'natural' ingredients in the past than they do now

    It would explain the terrible longevity they all uniformly suffered from 20-30 years ago

  8. #8

    Default Re: Creed advertised ingredients- reads as synthetic

    Dang... not very cool.. I was happy with the 65%!! Lol.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

  9. #9

    Default Re: Creed advertised ingredients- reads as synthetic

    Thanks all for that polite and thorough answers.
    I’m happy with the smell/longevity of each- and liked many others from the sample set I got(creed were very generous- I only requested 3)

    The 3 I bought, to me, smelt different enough to one another and nice (and the rest of the range), to want to keep in my bathroom cupboard.

    many others seemed to be similar to each other in various areas. I’m not a fan of the ‘warmer’ smelling fragrances, they give me a ‘smelling whiskey/bourbon’ vibe, so royal oud was a no, sadly. Going into the testing, I was hoping and expecting to like it.
    Santal and imperial were nice, but didn’t seem unique enough. Viking is striking (and will wear today, to work) so, I’m reserving final judgement on it still. It’s the final scent that is a possible purchase.
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

  10. #10

    Default Re: Creed advertised ingredients- reads as synthetic

    Quote Originally Posted by Benz3ne View Post
    Correct - it'd be listed under 'parfum' or 'fragrance'. Edit: It's the allergens present over specific percentages that are listed e.g. citronellal etc.
    Correct - there is nothing wrong with some synthetics, just as there are some things wrong with some naturals (IFRA restrictions are not without reason).

    Let's give the OP an example of synthetic versus natural...
    Q: We have a mixture of limonene, pinene, terpinene and terpineol (plus a couple other things). Is this synthetic?
    A: Perhaps, but not necessarily. All of these chemicals are components of lemon oil.

    Q: So, what's the difference between synthetically produced limonene and naturally isolated limonene?
    A: Chemically, nothing. There's something called stereochemistry which we'll gloss over for now, but synthetic R-(+)-Limonene and natural R-(+)-Limonene are the same.

    Q: Are synthetics nasty?
    A: They can be, but not necessarily. There's more control over synthetic moieties which means they may not trigger allergic reactions like naturals can. They can be but the likelihood is these wouldn't make it to the market, or would be heavily restricted.

    Q: Are naturals safe?
    A: Not necessarily. To extract naturals, sometimes you need hefty non-polar solvents like hexane. Though these are largely removed during the extraction process, there is the possibility for some to remain. The isolated ingredient may not be safe, either. e.g. ricin from castor beans (and yes, I do enjoy watching Breaking Bad), or known allergens.
    Thanks for the great explanation. I'm not at all some niche snob and though I'm certain Creed employs synthetics, the difference in quality is often palpable compared to many designer frags, especially in the dry down.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5,766

    Default Re: Creed advertised ingredients- reads as synthetic

    For once Creed aren't lying when they say they use 80% natural ingredients...














    ....What do you think the alcohol that makes up 80% of the fragrance is? Synthetic?

    Its a simple case of them stating one thing, which is true, and people assuming another, which is false. Any fragrance house could make the same claim and be in the right as thats how scents work. As for the ingredients, note pyramids are always fantasy as the listed accord is a simulacra composed of the skillful interplay of many different aroma chemicals because people would rather read "Royal Pineapple" as it allows them to form a mental image of what to expect as opposed to the more honest "Manzanate, Dynascone, Allyl Heptanoate".

    Have you ever smelled a truly all natural fragrance? They're crap but thankfully they only last 15 minutes.

  12. #12
    Dependent
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Cymru
    Posts
    1,256

    Default Re: Creed advertised ingredients- reads as synthetic

    Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    For once Creed aren't lying when they say they use 80% natural ingredients...


    ....What do you think the alcohol that makes up 80% of the fragrance is? Synthetic?
    This! Regardless of whether it's from ethene cracked from crude oil, fermented or recycled, it's 'from natural sources'.

    Also, define 'natural'. Is that, 'as found in nature' or 'as extracted from a living organism (plants etc.) or 'extracted from fossil fuels'?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    Thanks for the great explanation. I'm not at all some niche snob and though I'm certain Creed employs synthetics, the difference in quality is often palpable compared to many designer frags, especially in the dry down.
    Very welcome - hope I didn't come across as alluding you were a 'niche snob'! Yes, I'm certain about it too. You're right though, it's where artisanal and designer fragrances are bridged in my opinion. Same goes for Parfums de Marly, again in my opinion.

  13. #13
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    571

    Default Re: Creed advertised ingredients- reads as synthetic

    Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    Thanks for the great explanation. I'm not at all some niche snob and though I'm certain Creed employs synthetics, the difference in quality is often palpable compared to many designer frags, especially in the dry down.
    Because they compete in different categories. Even If juice costs 2-5 dollars to make, for designers cutting a cost a little bit here can result in huge profits.




Similar Threads

  1. Synthetic ingredients: who makes them?
    By Aromaphile in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 1st March 2015, 01:52 AM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 27th January 2011, 03:07 PM
  3. Question about synthetic ingredients
    By cologneprince in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 25th November 2005, 10:10 AM
  4. synthetic or natural ingredients ?
    By renzo in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 19th June 2005, 03:46 AM
  5. synthetic ingredients in annick goutal
    By STONEWEED1 in forum Ancient Stuff
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 5th December 2004, 12:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000