Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
o

Default Re: Farewell to Rive Gauche

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Bleu de Chanel smells unambiguously manly to me. It's just that Rive Gauche's manliness is firmly stuck in - or at least originates from - the mid 20th Century. I don't think there's a huge client base of casual wearers who want to smell like shaving foam when they could smell like BdC.

As a side note on manlines - I wonder how the prospect that women decide 85% or so of personal financial decisions in the US plays a part. As in, how many money are likely to 'allow' or suggest their husband or boyfriend opt for RG over BdC?

Rive Gauche is a collectors' and enthusiasts' perfume in my opinion. Just like too many people forget the business part of showbusiness, these are fashion houses and comemrcial businesses, where perfume's are what help them stay profitable and offset the losses incurred on the catwalk. If RG isn't cutting it, then it makes 'sense' that it's gone - economics over artistry.

I have tried, and failed, to pick up a bottle. But Beau de Jour is a fantastic alternative which is, apparently, mooted for release on TF's signature line. If they do tweak the formula, I believe you may an even closer approximation of RG by TF.
    -How many casual wearers are given the chance to choose between Rive Gauche and BdC?

-How many wives/girlfriends are given the chance to choose between Rive Gauche and Bdc?

-Was RG ever marketed in the same over the top way that current "commercial" fragrances are?

-Why would I want to pay $240 for BdJ, which is copying something that was originally $35? Assuming it gets relegated to the signature line, why would I want to pay $130 for BdJ when I already paid $115 for one of the last square bottles of RG?

I guess what I'm getting at is that RG could easily be a popular fragrance if it was marketed the same way as the current megahits.. I also don't see the TF situation as creating a "fantastic alternative," I see it as market monopolization and the destruction of art for profit's sake. Like I said, why would I pay $240 for a fragrance which is copying drugstore wetshaver ferns? APH is ~$30, as is Paco Rabanne, Pino Silvestre is ~$12, Drakkar is ~$20 as is Cool Water, the list goes on. Comparing fragrances which aren't even advertised to BdC and exclaiming that the majority of people like BdC more than them is just silly
    Last edited by Jack103; 15th July 2019 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack103 View Post
    -How many casual wearers are given the chance to choose between Rive Gauche and BdC?
    A fair point - but ultimately why Rive Gauche has died. The market for BdC is pretty much any man in any developed country with a bit of money behind them. RG is far less available (before discont.) and far less 'safe'.

How many wives/girlfriends are given the chance to choose between Rive Gauche and Bdc?
    Again, probably only enthusiasts. But that's, again, the point. BdC has been crafted to be 'the' smell of modern masculinity. RG is antiquated, there's no denying that.

Was RG ever marketed in the same over the top way that current "commercial" fragrances are?
    Not that I'm aware of, but I don't think BdC is particularly hyped or has a huge ad campaign? I know I bought 1 Million because of the advert (which, whatever you say, is fucking amazing, it's a quality advert for the purpose), and was intrigued by Sauvage because of Depp - but have never bought it, was gifted a bottle and sold it fairly quickly. But I don't think advertising *makes* a fragrance. 1 Million works because women bloody love it, and it smells great on young men in certain brash situations. Same goes for Sauvage, in a less specific/juvenile way. Companies go hard on advertising when they have something mass appealing in the first place that they know has the potential to be a decade-defining scent, the flagship of their line - basically, something straight women will bloody love on a man. Other than that, advertising seems antiquated in the era of the internet - if an ad campaign doesn't have huge visibility to non-enthusiasts, you're more likely to get traction through tertiary sources like YouTubers, review sites, blogs etc. Word of mouth, in a way. BdC is a more mature approach to the decade-definer, really - I suppose Egoiste was a similar classy-sexy approach as well, although I despise the rose-cinnamon combination. YSL Y is inspired by BdC, no doubt, and with a third from the line on its way, they clearly see it as having traction and a way to push it to the forefront of the high street. Not many woman is finding RG sexy in the air/on paper in the way they would BdC or even Y. They will say it smells old, maybe if they're old enough they'll identify it with shaving cream. Only when it's on a mature and/or masculine and/or confident man will someone consider it romantically/sexually appealing - which absolutely has its place, and not everything is about sexiness...but in fragrance, for big sellers from the big fashion houses, it absolutey is...There's little surprise they've released Y instead; something juvenile, sexy, drawing on the past but also with enough modernity to make it versatile-ish for men up to about 40 years old age (although I think it's up to early 20s tbh, maybe the new flanker will suit older men). It all comes down to sales at the end of the day.

Why would I want to pay $240 for BdJ, which is copying something that was originally $35? Assuming it gets relegated to the signature line, why would I want to pay $130 for BdJ when I already paid $115 for one of the last square bottles of RG?
    A very fair point - but I imagine the TF would work out as better value for money? 100ml bottle v 80ml etc. Certainly when it comes to grey market - one discontinued, the other discounted. It won't be the same scent, granted - I prefer BdJ, personally, but who knows what will happen. I'd also say it's anything but a relegation to the signature line - if anytihng, it's a promotion, which is testament to the weird approach TF has taken as a company. Too many PB releaes, not enough focus. I imagine the original Tom Ford for Men makes them more money than, say, Tuscan Leather or Oud Wood. Maybe. Certainly more units. Anyway, a fair point, but it's just an example that there are genuine quality, modern alternatives out there.

I guess what I'm getting at is that RG could easily be a popular fragrance if it was marketed the same way as the current megahits.. I also don't see the TF situation as creating a "fantastic alternative," I see it as market monopolization and the destruction of art for profit's sake. Like I said, why would I pay $240 for a fragrance which is copying drugstore wetshaver ferns? APH is ~$30, as is Paco Rabanne, Pino Silvestre is ~$12, Drakkar is ~$20 as is Cool Water, the list goes on. Comparing fragrances which aren't even advertised to BdC and exclaiming that the majority of people like BdC more than them is just silly
    Again, a very fair point - and another reason why, perhaps, it's not the end of the world. This is an old scent profile, there will likely be a lot of niche alternatives as well as the classics. But I do think the BdC point is fair. Or, to keep it in house, Y. More people are going to enjoy this scent because it's simply more appealing to non-enthusiast noses. Greenery can evoke: old man, cheap shaving foam, even cheap cleaning products and toilet cleaner. There's nothing like that in BdC and whilst Y is juvenile and sweet and cloying, it's still '90s clean' in a way Rive Gauche is '50s clean'. People will opt for the former: advertising has basically nothing to do with it. I can see why Aventus has become a frat bro fragrance and loved by enthusiasts alike - citrus and woods, freshness and masculinity, clean for the most part, appealing to most women. I just think Rive Gauche comes from another era - it's as nice and as niche as M7 and Splendid Wood are. Of course they're great scents, but you can't seriously suggest they've got that 'sex' to them that makes you American/European shopper, from 18-50, prefer RG to BdC or even Y? Particularly when women are involved in that decision, and they maybe only own a few scents at most?

Anyway, I dunno why I'm going on - I'm not actually trying to argue with you, sorry if it comes across that way. I think I was trying to make you/others feel better but I'm not doing a good job.

The business is what it is, really. YSL are always going to look after profits - I'm not surprised it's gone as, in the wider scheme of things, it's not a hugely popular scent profile to modern customers. The rise in artisan shaving might help with a groundswell, as well as people on here etc, but by and large its something from the past that isnt valued in the mainstream. Doesn't mean it won't come back at some point though. YSL might be doing the TF thing of creating a 'reserve' collection for any scents that are loved, but not great sellers, or have expensive ingredients that fluctuate in price, so they only produce them periodically in small numbers at higher prices. Maybe. Who knows. One consequence of the niche market is designers knowing they can charge crazy money and enthusiasts will pay it - just look at Creed, up and up until they get their wings burnt, presumably.

Banned

Default Re: Farewell to Rive Gauche?

Rive gauche? More like RIP Gauche

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Only when it's on a mature and/or masculine and/or confident man will someone consider it romantically/sexually appealing - which absolutely has its place, and not everything is about sexiness...but in fragrance, for big sellers from the big fashion houses, it absolutey is...There's little surprise they've released Y instead; something juvenile, sexy, drawing on the past but also with enough modernity to make it versatile-ish for men up to about 40 years old age (although I think it's up to early 20s tbh, maybe the new flanker will suit older men). It all comes down to sales at the end of the day.
    I'm not a fan of 1 Million, Invictus or BdC but I think you've hit the nail on the head on the how and why certain fragrances "work" for guys and some don't.

On a side note, the other day I wore Invictus from a sample vial because I had nothing else. And even though I hate the cloying aspect of the fragrance, it was actually refreshing to wear something that smelled new and completely different from what I'm used to.

It's too bad about Rive Gauche. The tin can bottle was too cool looking, and apparently it was one of the finest examples of the barbershop fragrance. But I get why they discontinued it. Kouros still sells based on it's monster rep from the 80s but RG came into a decade smelling like it was from a much earlier era so it never got that stability of reputation to cement it. And I couldn't find the La Collection version of it in any store Macys, Nordstroms, Bloomingdales, none. So that was only making matters worse.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AceyMan View Post
    I was at the mall this weekend and Bloomingdale's had Egoiste and Antaeus out for sampling.

Mind you, this store is in a major market / high rent district (West LA) so it's more common to find the "full line" of various houses than other places in around the States.
    In Chicago, Egoiste disappeared from Bloomingsdale, Saks and Neiman Marcus recently (I think), and I'm pretty sure it was still present one year ago. As for Antaeus, I've never seen it on shelves here.

Banned

Rive gauche? More like rive gone

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Rive gauche? More like rive gone
    Rive Gosh (darnit)
    oh look, I have a signature

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Rive Gosh (darnit)
    Lol!

Rive Gauche is still readily available in my area. I’m curious to see if it will really be a worldwide discontinuation or just a case of limited distribution.

Can anyone confirm whether or not this has actually been discontinued?

If it has I'd be quite upset as it's one of the fragrances that I'd decided I could never be without. It's an easy wear and I've yet to find something else that could easily substitute. I wouldn't be surprised if Tom Ford relaunches it for 5X the price. At it's current price it is well worth the cost though and it is really a reference fragrance of sorts when it comes to modern baber-shop scents for the freshly groomed aesthetic.

It's extremely difficult to find a bottle at a good price, so I'd guess it's going away. The female version appears easier to find than the men's version. Unless there are some sites that I'm not aware of.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    Can anyone confirm whether or not this has actually been discontinued?

If it has I'd be quite upset as it's one of the fragrances that I'd decided I could never be without. It's an easy wear and I've yet to find something else that could easily substitute. I wouldn't be surprised if Tom Ford relaunches it for 5X the price. At it's current price it is well worth the cost though and it is really a reference fragrance of sorts when it comes to modern baber-shop scents for the freshly groomed aesthetic.
    And here we go - Tom Ford Beau De Jour in his Private Blend. Rive Gauche Pour Homme but the price is x5

Quote Originally Posted by masonjarjar View Post
    Guess it's time for some Fine Accoutrements American Blend EDT..
    I bought a bottle of the American Blend aftershave last week after being blown away by how close it seems to Rive Gauche. I'd say it's about 80% there to my nose and at $20 it was a no-brainer. They have an EDT too but I went with the aftershave and decanted it into a spray.

Wearing it today to get a sense of longevity. About 3 hours in and still going strong.

Well I'm bloody glad I managed to get a full bottle of this one, 80 ml, albeit the new formulation. Still awesome. Shame they discontinue such a good modern classic.
    Currently wearing: Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf

Perhaps YSL Pour Homme is next to go, while it is still showing on US site it says "Limited Quantities". I thought for sure this would be discontinued before Rive Gauche.
    "The prettier the rose the fouler the manure"

Quote Originally Posted by coldmountain View Post
    rive gauche ph is still showing available on the ysl us site:

https://www.yslbeautyus.com/for-him/...cabegknkfd_bwe
    Plot twist!

False Alarm, this was for Pour Homme, sorry
    "The prettier the rose the fouler the manure"

Quote Originally Posted by coldmountain View Post
    False Alarm, this was for Pour Homme, sorry
    womp womp

Quote Originally Posted by byrdjoel View Post
    I bought a bottle of the American Blend aftershave last week after being blown away by how close it seems to Rive Gauche. I'd say it's about 80% there to my nose and at $20 it was a no-brainer. They have an EDT too but I went with the aftershave and decanted it into a spray.

Wearing it today to get a sense of longevity. About 3 hours in and still going strong.
    Imo the 20% missing makes all the difference, if it's become truly gone there will be no substitute. I've never found a true substitute for anything I have, all it ever was is general vicinity and that makes me even more frustrated. I'd rather say goodbye. Luckily I have 250 ml of tin and I should be able to find another one at a decent price one of those days so I might not have to.

So is Rive Gauche on or off? It seems available.

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    So is Rive Gauche on or off? It seems available.
    Still appears to be pretty firmly discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Still appears to be pretty firmly discontinued.
    Alas, quite a shame. Rather fine example of a classic fougere made for the modern time.