Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Farewell to Rive Gauche?

This deserves its own thread, I think. Taken from here

Quote Originally Posted by Jack103 View Post
    Attachment 102375
    Sorry if the pic is blurry, they emailed me back while I’m away from the computer so I took a phone screenshot. It reads:

May 14, 2019

Dear Jack,

Thank you for contacting Yves Saint Laurent Beauté.

Thank you for asking us about Rive Gauche pour Homme. We are sorry to tell you that it was discontinued and that we do not have any available for you to purchase.

We understand the frustration you must feel concerning the disappearance of products which you have enjoyed using. It is never easy for us to make the decision to discontinue any of our products. We truly regret any inconvenience this may have caused you.

We do not currently have a replacement product to suggest to you, but our creative teams are hard at work coming up with new and exciting products. Please continue to visit our website to learn about our latest offerings.

We appreciate your interest in Yves Saint Laurent Beauté.

Best regards,
    Last edited by Brooks Otterlake; 15th May 2019 at 09:41 PM.

Unhappy Re: Farewell to Rive Gauche

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    This deserves its own thread, I think. Taken from here
    This is sad.
    Why Rive Gauche?! There must be something else they could vault.

Is it worth picking up before the prices skyrocket or should I target something else in pure protest? (I've got a bottle of Azzaro Pour Home and a 10 ml decant of Replica At The Barbers on the way so I'm not completely unarmed in the category)

Default Re: Farewell to Rive Gauche

What a shame. Certainly the smoothest designer barbershop to my nose.
    Currently wearing: MEM by Bogue Profumo

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Glad I have a large full original release tin then.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Thats news. Ive yet to get a nose on it... always meant to. It was always a dollar or two more than i wanted to spend on a sample.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Lalique White by Lalique

Always be smelling

Makes sense. Was the best YSL Masculine so naturally they had to discontinue it.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Makes sense. Was the best YSL Masculine so naturally they had to discontinue it.
    I will guard my 2 4.2 tin cans with attack hamsters and continue to nurse them (aka avoid wearing them often). A shame really. Expect tin cans to join M7 and GPH in $350+ land while square bottles to get gouged shortly thereafter. Seems everything Tom Ford touched (that isn't a Tom Ford perfume) is doomed to the afterlife and subsequent sainthood in the FragComm. Makes sense considering Oud Wood was made to replace M7, Tom Ford for Men to replace GPH, and Fougère d'Argent to replace Rive Gauche Pour Homme. All those save the Tom Ford for Men are already nosebleed (for 50ml no less) and aren't DC'd.

Tl;dr: You gotta pay big bucks in 2019 to smell like something other than woodyamber ocean pancake syrup sandpaper.
    oh look, I have a signature

Wait, so they're keeping Y but discontinuing Rive Gauche?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I will guard my 2 4.2 tin cans with attack hamsters
    Very glad I bought a tin of it, back when there was a massive hype train here in 2008-2010. Sometimes the hype train gets it right!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Very glad I bought a tin of it, back when there was a massive hype train here in 2008-2010. Sometimes the hype train gets it right!
    The only hype trains I jump on are the ones you, Epapsiou, PC, Acey, Diddy, and Cook tell me to board.

Really a shame. All-time great in my opinion. I totally see how it is against the grain of current trends...a very good thing for us, but I bet it struggled to sell. It skews mature IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

Indeed yes, cannot express enough words of gratitude to have simply followed Basenotes not just in order to first test, but eventually also to buy a tin can bottle of this one. Hoping that, at least at some point YSL will have (if not already existing) a flagship store like a few other designer and niche houses like Guerlain, Caron, Creed, Floris, even Yardely etc., in the hope that this might at least somehow - even if officially disproved - marginally increase the chance of either clearance sales of shelved bottles or re-editions or even both. If being most likely forced to pay Ebay prices for this one anyway, at least closer to the source rather than to much less reputable resellers.

I will guard my 2 4.2 tin cans with attack hamsters and continue to nurse them (aka avoid wearing them often). A shame really. Expect tin cans to join M7 and GPH in $350+ land while square bottles to get gouged shortly thereafter. Seems everything Tom Ford touched (that isn't a Tom Ford perfume) is doomed to the afterlife and subsequent sainthood in the FragComm. Makes sense considering Oud Wood was made to replace M7, Tom Ford for Men to replace GPH, and Fougère d'Argent to replace Rive Gauche Pour Homme. All those save the Tom Ford for Men are already nosebleed (for 50ml no less) and aren't DC'd.

Tl;dr: You gotta pay big bucks in 2019 to smell like something other than woodyamber ocean pancake syrup sandpaper.
    The truth is that Rive Gauche was already fairly pricey for a designer scent.

I'm regretting not splurging on a bottle.

Basenotes Plus

I think Rive Gauche is better than any of the niche neo-barbershops that I have tried. It is an interesting commentary on the market that these inferior but more expensive alternatives get more attention these days.

For weal or woe, I have vintage backups galore because in recent years I kept on encountering them at giveaway prices -- at least according to my skewed sense of value.

Basenotes Plus

Glad I went berserk on the tin cans now. I should have enough to last for a long time

So it's destiny is to become a future overpriced unicorn on Ebay. Now's the time to purchase this classic before the hucksters take advantage.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Top Five

1. Aurum d Angkhor By Sultan Pasha
    2. Fougere Noire By Sultan Pasha
    3. L' Heure d' Or By Sultan Pasha
    4. Encens Chypre By Sultan Pasha
    5. Equilibre By Sultan Pasha

It just makes me sad that 17 year old me didn’t immediately buy a tin can bottle of it when I first joined here and read over and over how much of a masterpiece it is. Unfortunately haven’t even smelled the square bottle one either. I was emailing them because I was considering buying directly from them but the page which used to have it was broken.

Crap. I was afraid of this. I got on the YSL website a few days ago and RIve Gauche PH was "not available." I was hoping it was a just a glitch, but I guess not.

Thanks for passing this along. At least we know now

Farewell Rive Gauche Pour Homme, hello army of clones.

I'll be using my tin can less.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jdp191 View Post
    Wait, so they're keeping Y but discontinuing Rive Gauche?
    Sadly, I bet Y sells better, and it's probably cheaper to produce. I've never even seen Rive Gauche stocked in stores.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    CK One
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Prada L'Homme
    Lumiere Noire
    Noir De Noir
    Interlude Man
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Aqua Universalis
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

Basenotes Junkie Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Prices are already super high. I thought this was already discontinued?

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I never got into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Prices are already super high. I thought this was already discontinued?
    It's been sold on a limited basis (and, yes, prices have stayed high because there wasn't a glut of stock retailers needed to ditch).
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap List

Current Favorites
    Aramis Havana, Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

A real shame.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    The truth is that Rive Gauche was already fairly pricey for a designer scent.

I'm regretting not splurging on a bottle.
    Only recent "La Collection" versions were above standard retail. Originally the Tin Can made under Tom Ford direction was priced like any YSL at the counter, and even saw discounts online like bottles of Y for him.

Quote Originally Posted by schnozz View Post
    I think Rive Gauche is better than any of the niche neo-barbershops that I have tried. It is an interesting commentary on the market that these inferior but more expensive alternatives get more attention these days.

For weal or woe, I have vintage backups galore because in recent years I kept on encountering them at giveaway prices -- at least according to my skewed sense of value.
    The "more expensive alternatives to classic scents" business model is by design I think. The idea is to package anything natural-smelling at all as luxury, while getting the masses to accept ultra-cheap and profitable woodyshampoosugarrocksalt as the expected standard at $100MSRP. We can blame IFRA and natural ingredient oversourcing for some of it, but most of it is accounts min/maxing profits from the cosmetics division of most houses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    So it's destiny is to become a future overpriced unicorn on Ebay. Now's the time to purchase this classic before the hucksters take advantage.
    I already got mine and won't run through the 250ml I have in my lifetime because it's not a regular wear for me, so if I see any deals I'll PM you.

Basenotes Junkie

Better go ebay or wherever else and stock up!

Only recent "La Collection" versions were above standard retail. Originally the Tin Can made under Tom Ford direction was priced like any YSL at the counter, and even saw discounts online like bottles of Y for him.
    Yeah, I was referring only to the last few years.

The "more expensive alternatives to classic scents" business model is by design I think. The idea is to package anything natural-smelling at all as luxury, while getting the masses to accept ultra-cheap and profitable woodyshampoosugarrocksalt as the expected standard at $100MSRP. We can blame IFRA and oversourcing for some of it, but most of it is accounts min/maxing profits from the cosmetics division of most houses.
    I think you're right about this.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap List

Current Favorites
    Aramis Havana, Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Basenotes Plus

Discontinuing this was unimaginable. It's one of the most loved designer fragrances 'ever'. Even though it's not one I care that much for, I'm tempted to obtain a bottle just for the collectibility factor.

The "more expensive alternatives to classic scents" business model is by design I think. The idea is to package anything natural-smelling at all as luxury, while getting the masses to accept ultra-cheap and profitable woodyshampoosugarrocksalt as the expected standard at $100MSRP. We can blame IFRA and natural ingredient oversourcing for some of it, but most of it is accounts min/maxing profits from the cosmetics division of most houses
    I tend to agree with that.Many of the ultra modern designer fragrances especially really come off as cheaply made with very low quality ingredients. These days I doubt the fragrance itself on most new designer releases costs over a few pennies per bottle.

User of Toilet Water

Could Kouros be next? Surely it doesn't sell that well anymore either. I'll bet its discontinuation has been discussed before and they're holding on to it for sentimental/historical reasons for now.
    Currently wearing: Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels