Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Junkie

Default *Extreme* Over-Sprayers Lounge

I have noticed that nearly everything I wear has poor projection and longevity - including beast fragrances. Mind you, this is with an average of 6 sprays. I have even applied lotion to the pulse points before applying the fragrance. Nothing seems to work. I'm not sure what is wrong with me. I do have greater success when I wear MORE of a particular scent. I have never had negative feedback about wearing too much of something, however, I have received compliments in the 10+ spray range! I once wore 20 sprays of Amouage Jubilation XXV and it was not nuclear, and I did receive a compliment.

I have decided that I want to experiment more with over-spraying. I'm talking 20+ sprays. Do any of you have experience doing this or do this on a regular basis? What is the proper way to try this without failing miserably and stench-bombing a whole room? Also, any other suggestions that might help me get better projection and longevity would be appreciated.

If you are a heavy over-sprayer (20+ sprays) please feel free to discuss your SOTD and how many sprays you used. I'm not sure if this thread will gain any traction, but let's see!

Default Re: *Extreme* Over-Sprayers Lounge

You need an honest friend or companion to give you feedback.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

The Brooks Otterlake Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Havana, Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

So 20 sprays qualifies you as an EXTREME over-sprayer??

Its funny, to answer your question "whats the proper way to do this without failing miserably and stench-bombing a whole room?", I was going to say; you have to know which fragrances you can and cannot spray with that kind of reckless abandon. Because some, you absolutely can not. For examples, I was going to say Eau Sauvage Parfum, Tuscan Leather, Red Tobacco.. But before I responded, I looked at the "regular" over-sprayers lounge, and I saw that you had reported 7 sprays of Tuscan Leather today. So it appears that you already realize this
    Currently wearing: Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    So 20 sprays qualifies you as an EXTREME over-sprayer??

Its funny, to answer your question "whats the proper way to do this without failing miserably and stench-bombing a whole room?", I was going to say; you have to know which fragrances you can and cannot spray with that kind of reckless abandon. Because some, you absolutely can not. For examples, I was going to say Eau Sauvage Parfum, Tuscan Leather, Red Tobacco.. But before I responded, I looked at the "regular" over-sprayers lounge, and I saw that you had reported 7 sprays of Tuscan Leather today. So it appears that you already realize this
    20 is not extreme to you? How many do you spray? And as for the Tuscan Leather, i find that sometimes 7 sprays works just as well as 3. I don't know why.

Edit: I might actually try 20 of Tuscan Leather come fall. We'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    20 is not extreme to you? How many do you spray? And as for the Tuscan Leather, i find that sometimes 7 sprays works just as well as 3. I don't know why.

Edit: I might actually try 20 of Tuscan Leather come fall. We'll see...
    When I first got a decant of TL, I wore 15-20 sprays the first time. I just love that smell so much, I wanted to be drenched in it. Upside: the sweater I was wearing held the scent for about a month.

I tend to get into the extreme realm especially when experimenting with layering. I think by the end of the night last night I was wearing about 10 sprays of Mugler Cologne, 10 sprays of Encre Noire Sport, and 5-10 sprays of Guerlain Homme l'Eau Boisee. Don't know if I'd go out in that hazy cloud but it was very nice for hanging around at home.

I also have pretty bad allergies, so I tend to overspray just to be able to smell whatever I'm wearing.

Que scay-je?

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    When I first got a decant of TL, I wore 15-20 sprays the first time. I just love that smell so much, I wanted to be drenched in it. Upside: the sweater I was wearing held the scent for about a month.

I tend to get into the extreme realm especially when experimenting with layering. I think by the end of the night last night I was wearing about 10 sprays of Mugler Cologne, 10 sprays of Encre Noire Sport, and 5-10 sprays of Guerlain Homme l'Eau Boisee. Don't know if I'd go out in that hazy cloud but it was very nice for hanging around at home.

I also have pretty bad allergies, so I tend to overspray just to be able to smell whatever I'm wearing.
    I had never before considered spraying that much Tuscan Leather. But, it is such a beautiful scent. Quite possibly my favorite. Definitely my favorite of what I own. Do you find that overspraying it and fully enjoying it is better than being conservative with it so that it lasts longer? I should probably go heavier on the sprays, it's just so expensive! I've got about half of my 50ml bottle left.

I had never before considered spraying that much Tuscan Leather. But, it is such a beautiful scent. Quite possibly my favorite. Definitely my favorite of what I own. Do you find that overspraying it and fully enjoying it is better than being conservative with it so that it lasts longer? I should probably go heavier on the sprays, it's just so expensive! I've got about half of my 50ml bottle left.
    Yeah, I have a 50 ml decant as well, so aside from my first wearing blow-out, I usually stick to somewhere between 2-4 sprays. There is definitely a kind of novelty to wearing that much of it, because you don't have to try at all to catch a whiff of the scent; it's just a big bubble around you. But I enjoy it just as much when I only catch a whiff here or there, or have to smell my arm. If I could afford it though, I'd probably average 5-7 sprays of TL.

Que scay-je?

Basenotes Junkie

Well I'll certainly have to try a blow out for the heck of it. As I currently have a very limited wardrobe (as you can see on my profile), I'll probably run through it rather quickly spraying twice as much as I currently do. But you wear fragrances for the purpose of smelling them, right?

Any time you spray heavy or want to share your SOTD, feel free to post it in this thread. Might just be the two of us if we are talking 20+ sprays.

Well I'll certainly have to try a blow out for the heck of it. As I currently have a very limited wardrobe (as you can see on my profile), I'll probably run through it rather quickly spraying twice as much as I currently do. But you wear fragrances for the purpose of smelling them, right?

Any time you spray heavy or want to share your SOTD, feel free to post it in this thread. Might just be the two of us if we are talking 20+ sprays.
    Hah I will definitely check in here. My collection has grown a fair amount in the last six months or so - I had about 2-3 full bottles at a time for the last few years, and I would always go through them in a few months. Now that I have about 20 bottles, I'm making much less of a dent in each individual one. I figure I can wear my $20-30 stuff most of the week, then wear a few extra sprays of something nicer by cycling through them.

Que scay-je?

Basenotes Junkie

Hah I will definitely check in here. My collection has grown a fair amount in the last six months or so - I had about 2-3 full bottles at a time for the last few years, and I would always go through them in a few months. Now that I have about 20 bottles, I'm making much less of a dent in each individual one. I figure I can wear my $20-30 stuff most of the week, then wear a few extra sprays of something nicer by cycling through them.
    Yeah, I am also looking to acquire a few more. I'm literally going back and forth on Terre d'Hermes. I tried it on last week and loved it. Do you recommend a bottle? I need some validation before I buy.

Yeah, I am also looking to acquire a few more. I'm literally going back and forth on Terre d'Hermes. I tried it on last week and loved it. Do you recommend a bottle? I need some validation before I buy.
    I love TdH. Actually it was one of the first fragrances I got that wasn't random cheap stuff. Seems to get a lot of praise around here and generally be revered. I have/have tried a fair number of vetiver/citrus fragrances and I think TdH is my favorite of them. I also like Cartier Declaration and Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee, which I find to be somewhat similar. But the orange/cedar/vetiver combo in TdH is the winner for me. I say go for it!

I will say though, you have to be careful overspraying that one because of the Iso E Super - you can go blind to it quickly but others won't. Got some ugly looks on public transportation after putting on a little too much haha.

Que scay-je?

Basenotes Junkie

I love TdH. Actually it was one of the first fragrances I got that wasn't random cheap stuff. Seems to get a lot of praise around here and generally be revered. I have/have tried a fair number of vetiver/citrus fragrances and I think TdH is my favorite of them. I also like Cartier Declaration and Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee, which I find to be somewhat similar. But the orange/cedar/vetiver combo in TdH is the winner for me. I say go for it!

I will say though, you have to be careful overspraying that one because of the Iso E Super - you can go blind to it quickly but others won't. Got some ugly looks on public transportation after putting on a little too much haha.
    Thank you, I will definitely consider this one! Wish me luck tomorrow. It's time to bump up my sprays on everything...

Thank you, I will definitely consider this one! Wish me luck tomorrow. It's time to bump up my sprays on everything...
    Haha good luck! Btw, I don't know if you've tried the Intense Vetiver flanker of TdH, but FragranceNet has a really good deal on a gift set of that right now with a 3.4 oz bottle and some lotion/shower gel. It's easy to find in Sephora if you haven't tried it. I'm thinking about picking it up because my TdH bottle is getting low...

Que scay-je?

Basenotes Junkie

Haha good luck! Btw, I don't know if you've tried the Intense Vetiver flanker of TdH, but FragranceNet has a really good deal on a gift set of that right now with a 3.4 oz bottle and some lotion/shower gel. It's easy to find in Sephora if you haven't tried it. I'm thinking about picking it up because my TdH bottle is getting low...
    Is it similar to the parfum? I'll have to sample it.

Is it similar to the parfum? I'll have to sample it.
    It's fairly similar; I've only sampled it once, but I seem to remember the bitter orange in the opening being toned down, and more focus on the vetiver. It's a safe blind-ish buy for me because I know I'll like it, but it's worth testing first. It's pretty new and Sephora has been pushing it hard, so shouldn't be hard to sample at the mall.

Que scay-je?

Basenotes Junkie

It's fairly similar; I've only sampled it once, but I seem to remember the bitter orange in the opening being toned down, and more focus on the vetiver. It's a safe blind-ish buy for me because I know I'll like it, but it's worth testing first. It's pretty new and Sephora has been pushing it hard, so shouldn't be hard to sample at the mall.
    I'll check it out next time I'm at the mall. Hopefully you enjoy is just as much as the parfum.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Do any of you have experience doing this?
    I can't even comprehend what that would be like!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Should there be a sub-forum for oversprayers methinks? Just like a certain sub-forum might argue about batch codes, this novel one would argue over the nuanced complexity that is over spraying
    Currently wearing: Youth Dew by Estée Lauder

Quote Originally Posted by HauteParfumGourmand View Post
    Should there be a sub-forum for oversprayers methinks? Just like a certain sub-forum might argue about batch codes, this novel one would argue over the nuanced complexity that is over spraying
    Not a subforum but a long-running thread. Take your fragrance cloud over to this thread.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Not a subforum but a long-running thread. Take your fragrance cloud over to this thread.
    My cloud is already in that thread. My cloud is spreading rather quickly.

Since Mugler Cologne was mentioned, must admit that this is one of the fragrances that do qualify from a personal viewpoint for 20 plus, extreme over-sprayer applications

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Since Mugler Cologne was mentioned, must admit that this is one of the fragrances that do qualify from a personal viewpoint for 20 plus, extreme over-sprayer applications
    You've inspired me SOTE: 25 sprays of Mugler Cologne. I smell exceedingly fresh!

Que scay-je?

Basenotes Junkie

Is the Mugler worn out in public in that quantity?

Not yet... just at home tonight. Perhaps I’ll give it a test drive again tomorrow.

Que scay-je?

Is the Mugler worn out in public in that quantity?
    Did not wear this amount of sprays of this or any fragrances in public, yet one can experiment more generous amounts of sprays while staying home

I would personally never go over 10 sprays in one application. Perhaps throughout the entire day I may do closer to 20 total, but in my opinion that's way way way too much for one application. I used to overspray (moderately) and would sometimes receive negative comments or overhear people like ''who smells like cologne''(but in a bad way). I don't want to just be labeled as ''that cologne guy'' and I would personally say its not respectful to other people around you to wear so much. But you do you!
    ''Just because I have nice things doesn't mean I'm rich; It means I spend my money poorly''
    I want to look good and smell great

EDIT: ONLY if you are going to the club would I recommend serious overspraying. Like 10+ sprays of aventus
    ''Just because I have nice things doesn't mean I'm rich; It means I spend my money poorly''
    I want to look good and smell great

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I would burst into flame with anything over 6 sprays. Bravo to you good Sir
    oh look, I have a signature

I use heavy overspraying only with poor performers and when outdoors, with the heavy stuff it's a lighter approach !

I'm thinking of shearing the top off a 100ml bottle and just pouring the contents over me -- not sure how many sprays that will equal