Code of Conduct

Default Finding Male Fragrances in Tokyo

We've been wandering around Tokyo the last few days, and apart from one stall in a market at Ueno, I hadn't come across any fragrances.
    So yesterday I made it a point to visit the two largest department stores in Ginza. We looked around, checked the store guides, and couldn't find a fragrances section. I went to Information and asked where the male fragrance section was, and the lady replied that male Fragrances were scattered amongst all the individual sellers' sections.

So that we'd have had to walk all over the cosmetics floor to see what male fragrances we're around. Also, for some strange reason, there didn't seem to be any prices on anything.

Thus, a favourite activity of mine - checking prices in capital cities - wasn't going to happen.

I can only conclude that fragrances aren't that big a deal in Tokyo. Else they'd have a big display section and floor space like they have most everywhere else.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Finding Male Fragrances in Tokyo

You have to go to each brand's area. For example, the Guerlain area, the Dior area, etc.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Angel by Thierry Mugler

Depending what you’re into, my favorite place for perfume in Tokyo was the Nose Shop. They have a store on the first floor of the
    Department store NeWoMAN (or however it is capitalized) and a stand-alone store in Ginza. More niche than mainstream but some brands you don’t see many places. Otherwise yes, most department stores have like full floors devoted to perfume separated by brand.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Here's a guide to many fragrance places in Tokyo: http://your-perfume-guide.com/tokyo/
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

There’s a decent guide here on Basenotes
    http://www.basenotes.net/forums/50-Japan
    The threads near the top are pretty current.

Male fragrances are usually scattered as mentioned, but Men’s Isetan and Hankyu Men’s have decent collections, although at Isetan you also need to go to the individual brand counters in the women’s building where there’s a decent collection of both men’s and unisex. Basically, nobody but tourists go to Ginza (OK, not strictly true, but Ginza is generally overrated as a destination for sightseeing and general wandering. There’s exquisite stuff there, but it’s more suited to targeted visits, unless you are into window shopping luxury brands).

Isetan Shinjuku is my preferred location for sampling scents as it has the biggest range, spread across the men’s and women’s buildings.

Satori used to be in Shinjuku, but I think it’s moved to somewhere in Roppongi. You’d have to check the website http://parfum-satori.com/en/about/#shopinfo
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    You have to go to each brand's area. For example, the Guerlain area, the Dior area, etc.
    Thanks, but I knew that, and that's my issue - most department stores do that and have a fragrance section.

Who wants to wander around heaps of cosmetic counters with women testing out lipsticks and make-up?
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Here's a guide to many fragrance places in Tokyo: http://your-perfume-guide.com/tokyo/
    Very comprehensive, thanks.
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    There’s a decent guide here on Basenotes
    http://www.basenotes.net/forums/50-Japan
    The threads near the top are pretty current.

Male fragrances are usually scattered as mentioned, but Men’s Isetan and Hankyu Men’s have decent collections, although at Isetan you also need to go to the individual brand counters in the women’s building where there’s a decent collection of both men’s and unisex. Basically, nobody but tourists go to Ginza (OK, not strictly true, but Ginza is generally overrated as a destination for sightseeing and general wandering. There’s exquisite stuff there, but it’s more suited to targeted visits, unless you are into window shopping luxury brands).

Isetan Shinjuku is my preferred location for sampling scents as it has the biggest range, spread across the men’s and women’s buildings.

Satori used to be in Shinjuku, but I think it’s moved to somewhere in Roppongi. You’d have to check the website http://parfum-satori.com/en/about/#shopinfo
    Unfortunately, I only have a day left here - and it has to be a joint decision where we go to tomorrow.
    My wife wasn't too impressed with Ginza, and thought prices too high relative to back home, including in the shops in the subway that lead into the department store.

Not ce to know that some places actually have a fragrance collection in one spot.
    Regards,
    Renato