Code of Conduct

Question HELP Using Fragrance Oils For Making Perfume Oils :)

Hey guys! I'm playing around with making oil perfumes. I am using fragrance oils as there is no such thing as macaroon or cotton candy essential oils. I feel I have put a fair amount of fragrance in ratio to fractionated coconut oil. I have a few questions as most of the information I can find is on essential oils and not much if next to nothing on using fragrance oils. I see many other indie perfumers using fragrance oils to make perfume smells as well.

Of course, my goal is to make great smelling and long lasting scents. ANY information regarding making perfume using fragrance oils would be greatly appreciated and I also have a few questions.

Questions:

1. As I let them sit longer will they melt together and the scent change like essentials oils?

2. If so how long should I let them sit before judging?

3. What can I do to make the scent last longer? Is it based purely on the quality of the fragrance oil or is there something I can do? I feel some of the smells do smell strong in their original bottle but once mixed with oil they are not as strong or the scent fades fast. I know it can smell stronger in the bottle before being diluted but I aloso thought as frgrane oils they typically last longer. I mean people use these in soaps and candles I figured they would stay nice and strong when diluted with just some carrier oil. Some of them even smell strong when I wiff the bottle I made, but on the skin fade fast. (I made them 1 day ago, don't know if that matters)

Are there any suppliers you recommend staying away from or that are the best?

And again, any tips or tricks or experience working with fragrance oils for perfume would be awesome. I have interest in essentials, but the smells I'm currently working on are very gourmand foodie scents, like cakes and cookies.

Thank you so much, my crafty friends!

-Jill

Default Re: HELP Using Fragrance Oils For Making Perfume Oils :)

ALSO+ Should I use a base note essential oil to give it a better hold and better dry down?

Basenotes Plus

Just so you know, most here frown on using fragrance oils to make their perfumes, you may not get a lot of help here on this topic.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Thank you for letting me know :/ I appreciate it. No ill will intended, just new to everything.

Hi Anura -
    Fragrance oils are just fine for using alone or combining with essential oils and can make beautiful perfumes. You are right, there is not much help for blending if you want to make them longer lasting or more powerful by adding chemicals because the chemicals in the FOs are not listed.
    Best thing you can do for now is:
    1. identify which have base notes by testing for longevity. Find out which of your essential oils are lasting as well.
    2. consider buying single chemicals that match your gourmand ideas - benzoin, vanillin crystals, cinnamon oil, benzaldehyde, etc.
    3. If you want to see what a chemical fragrance mixture without the oil is, visit one of the big two aromachemical sellers and search for 'accord'. Again you won't know the chemical components, but at least you will get a maximum use percent. https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com...tNumbersOnly=0
    https://www.creatingperfume.com/search.aspx?find=accord
    and here is a third that sells only specialty and hard to find items: Perfumers supply house
    5. Look up all chemicals you are using here to get a better description : http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/data/rw1015272.html

In searching threads here for info, it is best if you use quotes or just search FO or F.O. to look for others remarks or formulas.

Quote Originally Posted by AnuraCollective View Post
    Hey guys! I'm playing around with making oil perfumes. I am using fragrance oils as there is no such thing as macaroon or cotton candy essential oils. I feel I have put a fair amount of fragrance in ratio to fractionated coconut oil. I have a few questions as most of the information I can find is on essential oils and not much if next to nothing on using fragrance oils. I see many other indie perfumers using fragrance oils to make perfume smells as well.

Of course, my goal is to make great smelling and long lasting scents. ANY information regarding making perfume using fragrance oils would be greatly appreciated and I also have a few questions.

Questions:

1. As I let them sit longer will they melt together and the scent change like essentials oils?

2. If so how long should I let them sit before judging?

3. What can I do to make the scent last longer? Is it based purely on the quality of the fragrance oil or is there something I can do? I feel some of the smells do smell strong in their original bottle but once mixed with oil they are not as strong or the scent fades fast. I know it can smell stronger in the bottle before being diluted but I aloso thought as frgrane oils they typically last longer. I mean people use these in soaps and candles I figured they would stay nice and strong when diluted with just some carrier oil. Some of them even smell strong when I wiff the bottle I made, but on the skin fade fast. (I made them 1 day ago, don't know if that matters)

Are there any suppliers you recommend staying away from or that are the best?

And again, any tips or tricks or experience working with fragrance oils for perfume would be awesome. I have interest in essentials, but the smells I'm currently working on are very gourmand foodie scents, like cakes and cookies.

Thank you so much, my crafty friends!

-Jill
    1) Make sure that ur fragrance oils are specifically made for perfumers. There are a lot of great bases on perfumery shops.
    2) Make sure of the tenacity of every single fragrance oil u are using (put a drop on a paper strip and let it sit in a room. If it lasts for days u have a base note, If it lasts for up to one day it's a heart note, if it lasts for hours is a top note).
    3) make sure u are using THE RIGHT CONCENTRATION. In oily perfumes the right concentration is up to 10% fragrance and 90% oil. If u are using just a few drop u won't go too far. in comparison a perfume u normally buy in shops are up to 15% fragrance.
    4) Add fixatives, like resins, honey and specifically crafted products to extend duration.
    5) add a conspicous amount of base notes, up to 50% of your total formulation.
    Then, remember most fragrances are not made to stay up for long, they are just made to impress in the short run, so perhaps it will be a better choice to use aroma chemicals and not fragrance oils. For exemple vanillin, cumarin, Hetyl maltol, caramel furanone, benzoin ecc.
    Keep also in mind that a 15% concentration is enough only because perfumers study very well the base formulations. For exemple there are chemicals with a life span on the strip of hundreds of hours.

I am now going to be looking into fragrance notes for sure! I really appreciate the advice. I have been using indie perfumes for the last few years made with fragrance oils and they have smelled awesome and I have had no issues with them. I understand it is frowned upon by real perfumers, but I wanted to play around and make my own!

I would like to get further into perfume making and using real fragrance notes, but for the various cookie and cake smells, I was looking at fragrance oils.

I am new to everything and I truly thank you so much for your kind advice versus negatively putting me down! I was worried I'd get some harsh replies back to this post and I really appreciate it. You have inspired me to keep learning more about the art form

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your kind advice. I would love to get more into fragrance notes and learn more about the art form itself and have just begun to experiment. I would love to learn more and take it further.

I understand it is frowned upon by real perfumers, but I wanted to play around and make my own! Especially when trying to make various cookie and cake smells, I was looking at fragrance oils, as I know that many of the indie perfumes I have been using over the last few years were made with them.

I am new to everything and I really appreciate your advice versus negatively putting me down! Thank you for building people up

How do more serious perfumers make scents like baked goods, cakes, and cookies? Does it just take a lot of knowledge and experimentation or do they use a bit of fragrance oil with their blend? Or is it just not able to be done the right way? Thanks!

Basenotes Plus

Kinda depends upon experience level.
    Personally, whatever I need, I make myself.
    That's what a Perfumer might do....
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

I think also it depends on how you approach most other things I life. If you have other interests in the past at what speed did you accumulate knowledge and hands-on experience, at what ratio between the two, are you the type to buy a few materials every couple of months, or a large assortment all at once, you may change your ideals monthly or weekly before developing a style and even after years need to 'break out' of a pigeonhole by forced adherence to lost childish methods. Just what I know about art, not perfumery... but I think it's all applicable.

Quote Originally Posted by AnuraCollective View Post
    How do more serious perfumers make scents like baked goods, cakes, and cookies? Does it just take a lot of knowledge and experimentation or do they use a bit of fragrance oil with their blend? Or is it just not able to be done the right way? Thanks!
    It takes a lot of time and sperimentation, anyway u have to find they key odors u need, for exemple in making an apple pie cake u should use something that smells like butter, than something that smells like apple, cinnamon, vanilla, sugar or Caramel, milk and grains. Or even better u can make a baked apples accord and a baked pie crust accord and then combine them.