Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Fragrances that don't suit your personality - what and why?

Following on from inspiration in another thread, lets ask the real question:

Which scents don't you like because they just don't suit your persona/vibe/style and why?

I personally find a lot of this hyper sweet and extra loud High Street stuff in the One Million/Invictus lane to be totally repugnant and its ubiquitous brashness is the antithesis of my unique smoothness and as such isn't a good fit. Ultra Male was an exception to the rule here as whilst it seemed to swerve in the same lane it differentiated itself enough to be worthy of a second sniff which then turned into a like.

Same goes with those lavender and oakmoss laden "legends" of yore that some people rave about on here as they are far too mature and seemingly totally lacking in fun/playfulness as they smell like the fragrantory equivalent of being told to sit up, look straight ahead and stop fidgeting. Or maybe thats just what I associate with that note combo? Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017 however takes the style but rocks it with its feet up on the desk, leaning back in the chair with the top two buttons of its shirt undone as it chills giving a toss about nothing and no one but its own comfort.

So, what say you most Based of Noters? What the nope and why?

Default Re: Fragrances that don't suit your personality - what and why?

What a thread to start my morning with! Skank is not my style, not in fragrance and certainly not in my private life.

You don’t like oakmoss, Palmy?
    “You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    “Thrrrow yourselves into the river, dahlings!” ~Withnail and I (1987)

I couldn't get along with Guerlain Habit Rouge (EDP), which felt like Shalimar Pour Homme with a slightly faded air. I don't mind vintage-flavored fragrances as long as they still have a spring in their step (Aramis Havana, Eau Sauvage EDT, Houbigant Fougère Royale), but this one had me thinking of wilted flowers and old lady tea parties.

I gravitate towards fragrances that are quasi-mainstream with enough of a twist to keep them from being properly mass-appealing. Those too-odd-for-the-broventians and not-strange-enough-for-the-nicheheads fragrances.

Kinda fits with my fashion choices. Dandyish contemporary attire with a bit of an oddball twist and the occasional vintage accessory.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap List

Current Favorites
    Aramis Havana, Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Basenotes Plus

While I ponder this worthy subject, may I file an objection to this thread appearing in the MFD? It's far too interesting a question to not be exposed to the GenPop.

Yeah, personally I'm not keen on what I perceive as 'buttoned-up' fragrances like Heritage, Bois de Portugal, GIT, Burberry for Men, fragrances 'for the office' etc.

I think I would rather have lunch with a wearer of Habit Rouge than Heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Yeah, personally I'm not keen on what I perceive as 'buttoned-up' fragrances like Heritage, Bois de Portugal, GIT, Burberry for Men, fragrances 'for the office' etc.

I think I would rather have lunch with a wearer of Habit Rouge than Heritage.
    I've already expressed my less than warm feelings toward Habit Rouge, but Heritage is a top three fragrance for me. I suppose there's no lunch date in our future.

I do like "gentlemanly" fragrances, but Heritage doesn't register as particularly stiff to me. It feels warm and cozy, a kind of spicy autumnal fragrance that makes me think of crisp leaves and bonfires. I often wear it to kick back and relax.

Current Favorites
    Aramis Havana, Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

I don't ascribe a personality to fragrances, so I don't really see a divergence of what I am, and what I wear. There's just stuff I like, or stuff I dislike. So this is an odd topic to me, but an interesting one nevertheless!

I know they are darlings around here but I can't stand the Dior Homme line. I have tried repeatedly to at least like them, but they strike me as so vapid.

The clothing/style aspect and how it corresponds to our fragrant choices is a very interesting one as pretty much everything anyone does is a way of showing the world what we are/feel/would like to be on the inside via the choices we make in regards to the various facets of our presentation from top to toe and scent is often the icing on the cake that ties everything together with a sense of coherency.

Some scents we call "Too juvenile" whilst others are "Too gentlemanly" and its quite interesting how these combinations of aroma chemicals induce such cognitive associations. Perception, reality and our awareness playing double dutch between both swishing ropes really is a fascinating thing and as I've said numerous times before I really do think that, much like London cabbies whose hippocampus has a far greater density of connections once they've acquired The Knowledge, a fragrance addict will have undergone some changes in the Limbic System due to how much we've trained it via repeat exposure as stimulus response is everything.

That in itself would be another fun area of research if a bit beyond the scope of this thread but still the whole neuropsychology of smell and all of its implications really does get me thinking from time to time as we know so little about this aspect of life as none of the interests wish to study it as there isn't a buck to be had...

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I've already expressed my less than warm feelings toward Habit Rouge, but Heritage is a top three fragrance for me. I suppose there's no lunch date in our future.

I do like "gentlemanly" fragrances, but Heritage doesn't register as particularly stiff to me. It feels warm and cozy, a kind of spicy autumnal fragrance that makes me think of crisp leaves and bonfires. I often wear it to kick back and relax.
    I only saw your post after I had posted mine -- I wasn't having a 'pop' -- we can agree to differ, no-one is right or wrong -- it's all perceptions

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I only saw your post after I had posted mine -- I wasn't having a 'pop' -- we can agree to differ, no-one is right or wrong -- it's all perceptions
    Oh, I didn't take it personally. My "lunch date" remark was meant with a wink.

Current Favorites

Basenotes Junkie Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Anything that is too sweet I just can't wear anymore. Most of the Versace stuff, Agua di gio, Polo Red, A-men. In my college days and early 20's I wore Hollister SoCal but it is soooo loud and super sweet. I would never wear that stuff now. Most of the stuff smells all right and some smells great but it isn't something I want to wear. To me, those come across as too young, too juvenile and just don't fit me anymore.
    Currently wearing: Allure Homme by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Anything that is too sweet I just can't wear anymore. Most of the Versace stuff, Agua di gio, Polo Red, A-men. In my college days and early 20's I wore Hollister SoCal but it is soooo loud and super sweet. I would never wear that stuff now. Most of the stuff smells all right and some smells great but it isn't something I want to wear. To me, those come across as too young, too juvenile and just don't fit me anymore.
    I find that not all sweetness is created equal; the sweetness of natural fruit is very different from the sweetness of processed candy.

I really struggle with gourmand-y fragrances that go in for the "frosted icing" kind of sweetness.

Current Favorites

Wearing Perfume Right Now

More my "tastes" than my "personality," but stuff with ambroxan, too much IsoESuper - anything remotely harsh - about 85% of stuff on the market.

The combination of smelling harsh and unoriginal doesn't work for me.

I find that not all sweetness is created equal; the sweetness of natural fruit is very different from the sweetness of processed candy.

I really struggle with gourmand-y fragrances that go in for the "frosted icing" kind of sweetness.
    This is true. That scent is nauseating and annoying to me.
    I'm not sure who thinks of citrus scents as sweet, and I suppose some do. But I associate that more with a fresh or outdoor/summer scent, which could be interpreted to be sweet. Some of these, I do like.

Basenotes Plus

Acqua di Giò Profumo

Given my general disdain for all things aquatic I should dislike this one too, but bought it anyway. There's just enough incense and patchouli in it, enough smoky dustiness to keep me interested. That said, I like rather than love the stuff, and generally only wear it in the summer if at all.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Acqua di Giò Profumo

Given my general disdain for all things aquatic I should dislike this one too, but bought it anyway. There's just enough incense and patchouli in it, enough smoky dustiness to keep me interested. That said, I like rather than love the stuff, and generally only wear it in the summer if at all.
    Oh, I like aquatics. A good, sunny beach is one of my happy places, so I like scents that can conjure up something of that feeling. There are, of course, more and less interesting variations on that brief.

Acqua di Gio, though, ain't my cup o' tea. In any and all of its forms.

Current Favorites

Oh, I like aquatics. A good, sunny beach is one of my happy places, so I like scents that can conjure up something of that feeling. There are, of course, more and less interesting variations on that brief.

I think the Profumo is one the better if not my favorite Armani. So much better than the regular ADG. After saying that, I feel silly for never actually having bought a bottle. I have a few samples of it around here somewhere though.

Basenotes Plus

Mostly I just get a chemical soup from typical aquatics (ozone or calone bombs). There are some marine scents I think do a much better job of replicating the effect of being at the beach, near the sea, etc such as Sel Marin By Heeley.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Thank you Scarce. I’ve added your recommendation to my testlist because I see I owned 2 of your “Most worn”, and I lean specially towards SMN Patchouli. (I’ve never sampled SL Borneo 1834 since I stopped going to Barney’s years before the major SL reformulations. I don’t want to get into the glass booth story again.)
    “You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    “Thrrrow yourselves into the river, dahlings!” ~Withnail and I (1987)

There’s stuff in each genre that I do / don’t like.

As some of you know I enjoy rocking a mossy or classic but some are just too much.

Certain ‘classics’ like Quorum and Yatagan are a big no.
    Overly animalic is a no-no (exceptions include Kouros)
    I don’t like big scratchy ambrox.
    Also not a big Iso-e super fan.
    Also not the ‘hypersweet’ you mention above’
    Oh yes and big oud is out.
    Did I mention most gourmands (notable exceptions LIDGE and Coromandel)

Going against the grain a little I still enjoy bold 90s style aquatics.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Mostly I just get a chemical soup from typical aquatics (ozone or calone bombs). There are some marine scents I think do a much better job of replicating the effect of being at the beach, near the sea, etc such as Sel Marin By Heeley.
    I don't mind calone or ozonic notes. But my first proper personal scent was Polo Blue, so, y'know, I have an affection for "breezy" fragrances.

I'm the weirdo who thinks Colonia Pura, the aquatic Colonia flanker, is an improvement on the original (at least in its present-day form, which I find unimpressive; the original vintage Colonia may well have been a masterpiece).

Current Favorites

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Dior Homme Parfum

I know this one has become a bit of a Basenotes darling. I will add that I think it is an excellent fragrance. Plus the performance is all you could ever want and more. But there is just something about it that I find really stuffy and overwhelming. Quite suffocating and overly perfumey. I remember when I was a kid and my Mother would spray all those 80's animals and I remember struggling to breath. I get that from DHP. I've actually bought and sold it twice.

Aquatics - Just make me feel uncomfortable because they come across (to my nose) as rather cheap smelling and overly youthful.

I used to really dislike gourmands. But over the past year or so I have really warmed to them. I actually find that sweet fragrances really suit me.

It's strange because my two favorite type of fragrances today are either real uber masculine old school types such as Bois du Portugal or over the top sweet stuff such as New Haarlem or Pure Tonka. Complete different ends of the spectrum. Strange!!
    Last edited by Man Of The World; 15th May 2019 at 04:23 PM.
    My All Time Favorites
    Vintage Fahrenheit - Dior
    Coromandel - Chanel
    Aventus - Creed
    Bois Du Portugal - Creed
    Green Irish Tweed - Creed
    Mousse Illuminee - Rouge Perfumery
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Baccarat Rouge 540 - Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    Grand Soir - Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    Oajan - Parfums De Marly
    New Haarlem - Bond No.9
    Spicebomb Extreme - Viktor & Rolf
    Pure Tonka - Thierry Mugler

Overtly gourmand stuff seldom make it into my wardrobe. Just because I enjoy the scent of chocolate or baked goods doesn’t mean mean I want to go about my day smelling like a walking & breathing chocolate muffin.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma
    Currently wearing: Bonheur by Bortnikoff

Basenotes Plus

Cannot tolerate or appreciate aquatics or gourmands.

Also anything that is too amber-focused or heavily and potently powdered (Shalimar, Emeraude).

Most modern male scents that feature ambroxan and woody aroma chemicals are also uninteresting to me.

Basenotes Junkie

I don't like aquatics either. While there are some fragrances that aren't my taste, I have yet to come across one that makes me think it doesn't fit my personality.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Which scents don't you like because they just don't suit your persona/vibe/style and why?
    Some overly sweet gourmand scents I find distasteful.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Missing Oakmoss

I don't care for aquatics, citrus or huge doses of lavender, but that's just a preference issue and I'm not sure that it's related to personality. Interesting question.

most aquatics !

oud oils - ive tried a bunch and i just cant make them work for me.

also a lot of the classical styles that some people call "old" or "mature". Im 28 and i do like the smell of them but i just dont feel like it works with my age/how i dress. Someday, perhaps.