Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tips for posting sales on ebay?

Dear Basenotes Communal Mastermind,

I've never posted a sale on ebay, but I was thinking about cross-posting my items there to increase the chance of a sale. Do you have any tips on listing items for sale on ebay?

Thanks!
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

Default Re: Tips for posting sales on ebay?

I never sold cologne, but I use to sell a lot of stuff on ebay in the early 00's. It's probably much different nowadays.
    Just be overly descriptive and post a lot of photos. Basically, cover your ass so no one has a leg to stand on if a complaint arises.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I never sold cologne, but I use to sell a lot of stuff on ebay in the early 00's. It's probably much different nowadays.
    Just be overly descriptive and post a lot of photos. Basically, cover your ass so no one has a leg to stand on if a complaint arises.
    Lots of photos. Check. Thanks!
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards

Basenotes Junkie

That's good advice. One photo should be of the batch, etc., so that it can be looked up by the very keen or extremely distrusting. Worth also stating the provenance, i.e. where you got it (better = one previous owner from new).

Quote Originally Posted by Funwithfrags View Post
    That's good advice. One photo should be of the batch, etc., so that it can be looked up by the very keen or extremely distrusting. Worth also stating the provenance, i.e. where you got it (better = one previous owner from new).
    Got it, thanks.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

keep your receipts with tracking info from the post office too. ive had people try to claim the package didnt show up multiple times (i have no idea whether it did or didnt, couldve been stolen for all i know) but ebay always sided with me if i provided a tracking number, a copy of the receipt, and it showed delivered to the address that they had listed. basically protect yourself in all ways possible. some people are dishonest just to try and pull one over on you, and you can bet there are plenty of them lurking around on ebay.

If you are going to sell on ebay you need to accept up front that there is so much buyer's remorse that goes on. Even if you take as many pictures as possible ebay is likely to side on the buyer every time if they claim the fragrance is fake or that the scent is damaged, and there is really no way to prove it is not. I had a jackass try to claim that a incense fragrance I sold him was bad even though I tested it before and it was pristine. He says to me I sprayed ten times and can't smell anything 10 minutes later...obviously it was nose fatigue. Just be prepared to deal with liars, scammers, and just about the dumbest people you will ever interact with.

Basenotes Plus

.................................... Penn's old stomping grounds

Yes - lots of pics - especially of the fill line. I put a list of the notes, either obtained from here or from fragrantica. I also add a disclaimer, stating I cannot guarantee what notes may be detected / smelled, or how long a fragrance may last.

Basenotes Plus

I don't sell, but one thing I truly love as a buyer is when sellers include something in the photos to give me some idea of scale. The simplest and most appropriate thing is just a ruler or yardstick. But I know one Etsy seller who includes an ordinary lemon in all her photographs of vintage decor items. It's eye-catching, colorful, and everyone has a least some general idea of the size of a lemon.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I don't sell, but one thing I truly love as a buyer is when sellers include something in the photos to give me some idea of scale. The simplest and most appropriate thing is just a ruler or yardstick. But I know one Etsy seller who includes an ordinary lemon in all her photographs of vintage decor items. It's eye-catching, colorful, and everyone has a least some general idea of the size of a lemon.
    I use a ruler next to perfume bottles or other items one might not be familiar with, in regards to size.

Dependent

The best place to post sales is in Facebook fragrance forums, I sell 80-90% of my bottles there, the remaining ones here and on ebay.
    Actually here sucks big time, as people are very knowledgeable, they expect to pay nothing.
    Currently wearing: Erolfa by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by avo1811 View Post
    keep your receipts with tracking info from the post office too. ive had people try to claim the package didnt show up multiple times (i have no idea whether it did or didnt, couldve been stolen for all i know) but ebay always sided with me if i provided a tracking number, a copy of the receipt, and it showed delivered to the address that they had listed. basically protect yourself in all ways possible. some people are dishonest just to try and pull one over on you, and you can bet there are plenty of them lurking around on ebay.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutSmut View Post
    If you are going to sell on ebay you need to accept up front that there is so much buyer's remorse that goes on. Even if you take as many pictures as possible ebay is likely to side on the buyer every time if they claim the fragrance is fake or that the scent is damaged, and there is really no way to prove it is not. I had a jackass try to claim that a incense fragrance I sold him was bad even though I tested it before and it was pristine. He says to me I sprayed ten times and can't smell anything 10 minutes later...obviously it was nose fatigue. Just be prepared to deal with liars, scammers, and just about the dumbest people you will ever interact with.
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    Yes - lots of pics - especially of the fill line. I put a list of the notes, either obtained from here or from fragrantica. I also add a disclaimer, stating I cannot guarantee what notes may be detected / smelled, or how long a fragrance may last.
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    I use a ruler next to perfume bottles or other items one might not be familiar with, in regards to size.
    These are great suggestions, thank you.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    The best place to post sales is in Facebook fragrance forums, I sell 80-90% of my bottles there, the remaining ones here and on ebay.
    Actually here sucks big time, as people are very knowledgeable, they expect to pay nothing.
    Interesting, how does one find the Facebook fragrance forums?
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    I can't decide if that's a diss or a compliment.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I can't decide if that's a diss or a compliment.
    A bit of both, because being unable to fleece us is bad thing, but knowing we can help keep him from being fleeced is a good thing. Sort of a self-own in a way.

As for me? If I was to sell it would be to friends and close BNers anyway, as I'd want my precious unicorns to be fed and groomed lovingly if I were to let them go.
    oh look, I have a signature

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    Speaking of FB, you could also try the marketplace, though it's limited to just your surrounding area. It may be harder to sell fragrance but I have sold close to 100 items in the FB marketplace. I've seen avon bottles on there but nothing else, though I haven't been looking.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Speaking of FB, you could also try the marketplace, though it's limited to just your surrounding area. It may be harder to sell fragrance but I have sold close to 100 items in the FB marketplace. I've seen avon bottles on there but nothing else, though I haven't been looking.
    Correct on the FB Marketplace, also the best ones are FragranceSwap (for sales), FragranceSwaps Only (swaps), Bondin9 (Bond No.9 only)
    Currently wearing: Erolfa by Creed

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

When I had Facebook, I would buy/sell on Fragrance Swap, it's a Facebook group. There's another one called Great Canadian Fragrance Exchange (that's for Canada). There was another one called Facebook Fragrance Friends or something like that, but it was a pain to sell there as it was mainly aimed as a discussion group.

I miss Facebook, and this is the only reason.
    a bottle a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CutSmut View Post
    This might just be the best explanation ive ever read, regarding Ebay.

+1 on the pics and on keeping shipping receipts, and on offering a detailed description of the scent.

Another thing I do is post a little boilerplate about the sale. E.g., I'm a hobbyist and this is from my personal collection, I love fragrances and don't do fakes, this is not a business and I sell in low volumes, etc. etc. I feel like it helps increase trust and MAY divert some folks with potentially nefarious intentions. Let them pick on high volume power sellers with giant inventories coming from wherever.

No idea if this makes a difference, but I've never once had an issue as a seller (knock on wood). I've sold decants and bottles, but not extensively compared to some people.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Azurée by Estée Lauder

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    When I had Facebook, I would buy/sell on Fragrance Swap, it's a Facebook group. There's another one called Great Canadian Fragrance Exchange (that's for Canada). There was another one called Facebook Fragrance Friends or something like that, but it was a pain to sell there as it was mainly aimed as a discussion group.

I miss Facebook, and this is the only reason.
    I will look for it. I dislike FB as well for many reasons. The only reason that I have a profile there is so that I can manage my Facebook Author/Artist page. Which is kind of useless actually. I have very few followers. I was up to 30,000 on Twitter when I quit that site. Twitter is much easier to accrue followers but it's also highly addictive and has many other issues as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    +1 on the pics and on keeping shipping receipts, and on offering a detailed description of the scent.

Another thing I do is post a little boilerplate about the sale. E.g., I'm a hobbyist and this is from my personal collection, I love fragrances and don't do fakes, this is not a business and I sell in low volumes, etc. etc. I feel like it helps increase trust and MAY divert some folks with potentially nefarious intentions. Let them pick on high volume power sellers with giant inventories coming from wherever.

No idea if this makes a difference, but I've never once had an issue as a seller (knock on wood). I've sold decants and bottles, but not extensively compared to some people.
    That's a really great idea. Thanks LJ.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

No idea if this makes a difference, but I've never once had an issue as a seller (knock on wood).
    I think this is excellent advice. Anything that makes it clear you're an actual human being. Another thing: stick a small handwritten note in the package -- just "Thank you!" and your signature. Everyone except the most hardcore d-bags finds it more difficult to try to pull a con job on a real person.

I think this is excellent advice. Anything that makes it clear you're an actual human being. Another thing: stick a small handwritten note in the package -- just "Thank you!" and your signature. Everyone except the most hardcore d-bags finds it more difficult to try to pull a con job on a real person.
    Isn't "hardcore d-bag" an oxymoron? Would they be softcore d-bags? Either way, gross. I hope to avoid them.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Basenotes Plus

Yup. I include a Thank You note on a card. I also mention that the perfumes I sell are from my personal collection. Well, because they are!

Basenotes Plus

This is absolutely true. I have bought and sold thousands of items on Ebay (including a car!) and the more you actually communicate with either the buyer or the seller. the better.

Also, it is best to state in your listing that you won't sell to anyone who has a feedback score of less than 10. This helps to weed out any folks who are not responsible buyers.

Basenotes Plus

Isn't "hardcore d-bag" an oxymoron?
    No. "Giant shrimp" is an oxymoron. "Hardcore d-bag" is just repetitious.

I would also suggest to weight the bottle (w/o packaging) and taking a picture of it. This way if someone is unhappy (but somehow managed to use up half of the bottle) and now want to return it, have weaker case. Call me paranoid. It is especially helpful for non-transparent bottles

"Giant shrimp" is an oxymoron.
    This led me to Google, and Google led me to:
    https://www.huntsimply.com/product/g...p-neck-pillow/

Sometimes I just love the internet.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 16th May 2019 at 07:03 PM. Reason: typo, as always
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Azurée by Estée Lauder

Basenotes Plus

This lead me to Google, and Google led me to:
    https://www.huntsimply.com/product/g...p-neck-pillow/

Sometimes I just love the internet.
    Ha! I want one, if only for dog use:

ShrimpPillowDog.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    This is absolutely true. I have bought and sold thousands of items on Ebay (including a car!) and the more you actually communicate with either the buyer or the seller. the better.

Also, it is best to state in your listing that you won't sell to anyone who has a feedback score of less than 10. This helps to weed out any folks who are not responsible buyers.
    Good idea.

No. "Giant shrimp" is an oxymoron. "Hardcore d-bag" is just repetitious.

I always thought douchebags were soft. My mistake. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Clarissochka View Post
    I would also suggest to weight the bottle (w/o packaging) and taking a picture of it. This way if someone is unhappy (but somehow managed to use up half of the bottle) and now want to return it, have weaker case. Call me paranoid. It is especially helpful for non-transparent bottles
    Hmmhh. That smart. I used to have a scale somewhere, not sure if I still do.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy