Code of Conduct

Default Lanvin Perfume for hairdressers

Hello,
    Lanvin produced some hair perfumes to be used by hairdressers.
    They had a number of fragrances My Sin, Crescendo, Arpege , Pretexte and scandal.
    Would anyone have any information on these , when where they produced, was it a perfume or an eau the toilette, ?
    Did anyone ever come across an old advert for any of them ?
    It looked liked this
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Lanvin Perfume for hairdressers

I think these must be produced for 'trade' only

I have only ever seen the D'Arpege Hair Mist for general sale -- in a much prettier bottle

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by alb000000 View Post
    Hello,
    Lanvin produced some hair perfumes to be used by hairdressers.
    They had a number of fragrances My Sin, Crescendo, Arpege , Pretexte and scandal.
    Would anyone have any information on these , when where they produced, was it a perfume or an eau the toilette, ?
    Did anyone ever come across an old advert for any of them ?
    It looked liked this
    Welcome to you alb000000! Enjoy your time here at Basenotes. Just curious - how did you stumble upon this?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

PerfumedLady or Bonnette might know something about these....

I have found them while emptying my parents cellar. They have been sitting in the dark for 50+ years

Thank you , will try them

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    PerfumedLady or Bonnette might know something about these....
    Alas, I do not - and I hope that PerfumedLady does. In my hairdressing days I would have been all over these, if I'd known about them.

These are so cool but I'm afraid I've never seen them before, either. They do look like something that might have been sold only through professional beauty suppliers, what with the uniform "hair tonic" style bottles, but I can't say for sure. I'm no help but really happy to have seen this! Thanks for sharing the lovely pic!

Mail0251.JPG

There were some in boxes like these with these labels.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Missing Oakmoss

Imagine the salons where those were sold...I envision deco trappings, uniformed stylists, gleaming hair dryers, private styling rooms, pristine spas and skin care cubicles. Makes me weepy!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Imagine the salons where those were sold...I envision deco trappings, uniformed stylists, gleaming hair dryers, private styling rooms, pristine spas and skin care cubicles. Makes me weepy!
    I was imagining the salon scene in that great old movie "The Women". Joan Crawford and Norma Shearer duking it out.

The boxes look like they contain multiple bottles. Do you have a great number of these, alb00000? And what is the volume content of each bottle?

Basenotes Plus

What a coincidence - I was looking at the very same thing just a couple of days ago.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_o...anvin&_sacat=0

I was imagining the salon scene in that great old movie "The Women". Joan Crawford and Norma Shearer duking it out.

The boxes look like they contain multiple bottles. Do you have a great number of these, alb00000? And what is the volume content of each bottle?
    I have a fair amount of 2 of the fragrances , and a less of the other 2 , I also have some which part of it has evaporated so the bottles are no full.
    There is one of such bottles on Pinterest that described its content as being 28g

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    What a coincidence - I was looking at the very same thing just a couple of days ago.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_o...anvin&_sacat=0
    And he's just selling 20ml decants. So his bottles must be bigger than 28g.

Since these were designed to be sprayed on hair, I wonder if their alcohol content is lower than usual?

Missing Oakmoss

Yes! The perfume counter scenes in the movie are wonderful, too.

I'm a sucker for deco and moderne salon movies - other juicy ones are Beauty for the Asking (Lucille Ball), The Seventh Victim (Kim Hunter), Beauty for Sale (Una Merkel) and The Two Jakes (Jack Nicholson). I used to collect cosmetology manuals from the 20's, 30s and 40s and they make me weepy, too. Peroxide, finger waves and pincurls!

Googling Lanvin hairdressing perfumes yields a couple of examples, each no larger than 28g. The labels as shown don't state volume or alcohol content, but there's embossed lettering on the underside of the base that might. The silvery tops of those bottles look like the ones on medicine vials, the kind used with syringes - I wonder if these perfumes were intended to be diluted and sprayed or blended in creme rinses, following the style of that era for treatments administered by "beauty operators" in crisp white coats. If that is the case, the alcohol content might even have been higher than usual.

Basenotes Plus

"The Women" (1939) - at the perfume counter. Joan Crawford, Rosalind Russell. "It's called 'Oomph'."

“Oomph” Speaking of hair lotions, I can’t wait to show you all my L’HB one, in the vintage forum.

Edited to add: The silent film, Speed. A fast flapper gets into a car wreck. She’s got a mantle loaded with fumes (I distinctly saw a Chanel and a Guerlain upside down heart-stopper.) and a closetful of shoes, some with shoe and dress clips.
    And there’s a movie starring actress Leslie Caron, which takes place in Paris, forgot the name. Gene Kelly is in it and there’s a ton of dancing and.......*gasp*......French perfumes at a department store.
    Last edited by Shemelimelle; 18th May 2019 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Classic fragrant films.
    “You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    “Thrrrow yourselves into the river, dahlings!” ~Withnail and I (1987)

I have just gone on that website and am pretty sure that they were purchased from my self as I put some on ebay last year for a little while. I recognise another bottle of a man fragrance with a slightly torn label that I also sold on ebay.
    He writes there that more information can be found on Fragrantica.com but I couldn't find anything on these.
    I have just joint this site and not familiar how it works. Should I have rather posted my enquiry on the Vintage Forum , and if so would it make sense to copy my original post there ?

Missing Oakmoss

alb000000, I don't find any information about these on Fragrantica, either.

You can ask a mod to transfer this thread to the Vintage subforum, where it might get more responses.

thank you bonnette

Missing Oakmoss

It's good that the title of this thread is so clear as to subject matter - no matter what forum it's in, it will come up for anyone who does a search for Lanvin perfume for hairdressers. I'm hoping that somebody will come across more information on these charming bottles and post it here.