Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is Antaeus really that offensive?

Antaeus is one that, like Fahrenheit, while I’ve never owned a bottle or ‘clicked’ with, Ive always respected it and refused to make a judgment call on.

Every time I go to Saks I spray it on a card and make the Chanel reps smell it. The response is always the same: at first they repel in horror. After a few minutes I get them to smell it again and the response is a much more pleasant “hmm. Interesting”.
    Which pretty much echoes my sentiments.

I know there’s a lot of Antaeus lovers here- has anyone ever gotten any bad feedback while wearing it? Any significant others drawing a line over it, or bad experiences wearing it in a setting that made you regret wearing it?

Is it really as “offensive” on skin/in real life as it’s made out to be online?

With the exception of Royal Oud, all of my current favorite fragrances are ones I didn’t like/hated the first time I smelled them. It took time to understand them & fall in love with them.
    I’m wondering if this could end up being something I eventually fall in love with...

Default Re: Is Antaeus really that offensive?

I think the older versions might have been more offensive with the animalic beeswax but not so much the modern stuff. It’s not something mainstream so it could just be an element of surprise that has them recoiling.

No. Not offensive.

Just another example of the "top notes follies" days we live in now.

Not in my experience. I have been complimented on it a few times...

I have been back and forwards about Antaeus several times, and I can’t make up my mind. I find it very interesting, but I can hardly imagine any situation where it would fit. It is certainly not a date fragrance, unless you find that special girl that loves it.

I imagine dressing like Nick Cave, in dark clothes and boots, and it has to be at night. You need confidence and charisma to pull Antaeus off, but in the right setting it would be the perfect fragrance. I really should get a bottle, as I hear the new reformulation is quite good.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    My wife hates it...I don't really understand the hate though.
    Mine, too. Her immediate gut reaction was that it smells like what a prostitute would wear.

Still edgy!!! Granted, my bottle is a decade old and strong on beeswax.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Just another example of the "top notes follies" days we live in now.
    So true. Old fragrances needed time to set up for long, continuous "magic moments". New stuff wants your money, not your undying love.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Hugo Element by Hugo Boss

Current version is nice and wears well and comes off quite serious in today’s standards, whenever I wore it no complaints and wife said it was very nice. You need to keep in mind compared to today’s current fragrances it will come off as slightly out of place, not in a bad way just not with the current trend of things. Nothing wrong with smelling mature with great taste, in the adult grown up world this is one of the best fragrances you can wear pure class.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Current version is nice and wears well and comes off quite serious in today’s standards, whenever I wore it no complaints and wife said it was very nice. You need to keep in mind compared to today’s current fragrances it will come off as slightly out of place, not in a bad way just not with the current trend of things. Nothing wrong with smelling mature with great taste, in the adult grown up world this is one of the best fragrances you can wear pure class.
    Classy and classic! I agree. It's a distinctive scent, and real genius, IMO.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Hugo Element by Hugo Boss

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Antaeus in any form isn't offensive to me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Opiate View Post
    Antaeus is one that, like Fahrenheit, while I’ve never owned a bottle or ‘clicked’ with, Ive always respected it and refused to make a judgment call on.

Every time I go to Saks I spray it on a card and make the Chanel reps smell it. The response is always the same: at first they repel in horror. After a few minutes I get them to smell it again and the response is a much more pleasant “hmm. Interesting”.

I know there’s a lot of Antaeus lovers here- has anyone ever gotten any bad feedback while wearing it? Any significant others drawing a line over it, or bad experiences wearing it in a setting that made you regret wearing it?

With the exception of Royal Oud, all of my current favorite fragrances are ones I didn’t like/hated the first time I smelled them. It took time to understand them & fall in love with them.
    I’m wondering if this could end up being something I eventually fall in love with...
    Hello Opiate,
    This is a very good question.
    I would say no (based on the current formulation).
    A lot of people talk about Antaeus like Kouros, but in Antaeus you will find flowers, roses, etc. Its unique, not dated, neither agressive.
    Yes, you will know its in the house, but every time I wear it I feel fine (the most important ting about a fragrance if you ask me), and a lot of people ask: "Mmmmhhh....whats that...its interesting". They wont say: " I want to eat you like a desert".
    But, like good masterpieces in every artfor its not about beauty: its about if affect you or not.
    Best wishes,
    BruceB

Blog Entries

One of the best sillages I have smelled on the street came from a businessman crossing the street wearing Antaeus. It was 10.30am, so you could estimate he was 3 hours into wearing it. Gorgeous stuff.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: The Aoud by Mancera

Not at all. I find it's a nice woodsy/piney aromatic with a mix of freshness and spice.
    Currently wearing: Black by Puredistance

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

What is not offensive these days?
    50 sprays a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Cool Water by Davidoff

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Rive Gauche

Basenotes Plus

Not offensive at all! I get more out of the blue "You smell great!" comments wearing Antaeus than any other cologne I own.

Basenotes Plus

The new stuff is that offensive? That’s disappointing to read. The old(er) stuff is really good. And Antaeus Sport is the perfect blend IMO. But Sport is a whole other thread.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I've lived with an early 80's sample plus my mid-vintage bottle and a sample of current for some time. If you find dry woods and leather accords offensive, then I guess so, but I think this stuff can be classy even in the oldest incarnation. My reasoning is that castoreum is like any animalic: it works subtlety when applied subtlety. If you go discreet on vintage, you'll find the animalic base just adds extra warmth to the leather and wood notes. Overspraying as many 80's guys did is what turns this one into an orgy on skin, no different than lighting up the office with too much One Man Show (1980), which had EVEN MORE castoreum in vintage than this one does!

If we're talking modern, the leather note becomes more prominent in mid vintage since it has the oakmoss to ride on but less castoreum to blur it, and then by the current we see a shift to sharper and more herbal dry downs as the middle and top get turned up to hide the missing animalics and moss. There's a bunch of evernyl to replace the oakmoss in current, which smells flatter and more "directly" mossy instead of buttery smooth like even mid-vintage and back, while the imitation sandalwood compound Polge has been using for a while also kinda helps smooth things out, but the big giveaway is the musk in current. It was always there but now it kinda stands alone without the castoreum to keep it from "soaping up" the dry down.

The short answer is: No. Older batches can be finessed into a nice earthy leathery glow, while newer batches can be worn more heavily but will come across a bit more herbal and clean. Any batch of Antaeus only gets offensive if you make 69 sprays to the forhead and sing Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" when entering the office for maximum eyebrow sillage.
    oh look, I have a signature

for me not offensive..just different..not much scent like that from modern frags,
    the transition from opening to dry down so smooth, love it. & my gf despise it
    Currently wearing: 33 by Chris Rusak

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Scary Monsters as avatar and this frase: I shake hands with you, my friend

To me there is nothing offensive about Antaeus...it's just a dilicious masterpiece!

You’re asking the wrong crowd here.

The opening is probably challenging (or offensive) to the average non BNer but once you’re past that brief phase, it smells quite distinguished.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

wearing dad's aftershave™

Well, I certainly hope it isn't.

It's the most worn jus in my collection.

I love it.

(And I concur in the main with the above analyses.)

/Acey

And if a lady doesn't like it, that just tells me she's not the one for me <wink>

I know what you mean. Antaeus ,especially the vintage version of it, is pretty powerful and if oversprayed could ,at least at the beginning, "too much" for people that are not accustomed to fragrances or even maybe for those who are.
    I have never experienced a negative feed back yet.
    In the contrary my girlfriend loves it on me. Which makes me think that i should get one more vintage bottle

Antaeus is King, pure undisputed classiness!

Antaeus is a classic in any form. Golden rule with this one is not to put half a bottle on!!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    So true. Old fragrances needed time to set up for long, continuous "magic moments". New stuff wants your money, not your undying love.
    I'm soooooo stealing this line from you, Red!!

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Not at all. In my opinion It's one of the most sophisticated masculine fragrances I can think of. Quite striking.
    All Time Favorites
    Vintage Fahrenheit - Dior
    Aventus - Creed
    Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Green Irish Tweed - Creed
    Original Santal - Creed
    Royal Oud - Creed
    Halfeti - Penhaligon's
    Heritage (edt) - Guerlain
    Mousse Illuminee - Rouge Perfumery
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Baccarat Rouge 540 - MFK
    Uomo Intense - Valentino

Every time I go to Saks I spray it on a card and make the Chanel reps smell it. The response is always the same: at first they repel in horror.
    Wow -- honest Sales Advisers!

Newest version with black sprayer is very soft imo and lost almost all of its animalic aspects.
    My Top '11' :

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Tom Ford: Ombré Leather
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - Amouage: Interlude