Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Starting with Allure and Platinum Egoiste

Hello Everybody,
    I´ve tried this fragrances and really liked them.
    Being a hardcore Antaeus fan, I tought that they would be very ordinary, bland, typical and generic.
    But no; they are great. They have layers and times (im not an expert) that will make constantly smell your wirst like a maniac (Could that be a good test - for one self- of a good fragrance?).
    Anyhow, good luck to everyone in basenotes.
    Best,
    BruceB

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Starting with Allure and Platinum Egoiste

Agree that they are fine fragrances.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Hello Everybody,
    I´ve tried this fragrances and really liked them.
    Being a hardcore Antaeus fan, I tought that they would be very ordinary, bland, typical and generic.
    But no; they are great. They have layers and times (im not an expert) that will make constantly smell your wirst like a maniac (Could that be a good test - for one self- of a good fragrance?).
    Anyhow, good luck to everyone in basenotes.
    Best,
    BruceB
    Hello BruceB,

Hope you try Egoiste, I think that one is great, the best together with Antaeus.

Cheers
    a bottle a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Castile by Penhaligon's

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Agree that they are fine fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Hello BruceB,

Hope you try Egoiste, I think that one is great, the best together with Antaeus.

Cheers
    Hello!
    Yes! But that is a "special one". There is a general consensus about that extraordinary fragrance. Instead, Platinum and Allure...undercover gems if you ask me.
    Like a very atractive woman standing behind a "Sports Illustrated" cover (sorry, im not a poet).
    Best!
    BruceB

Hello!
    Yes! But that is a "special one". There is a general consensus about that extraordinary fragrance. Instead, Platinum and Allure...undercover gems if you ask me.
    Like a very atractive woman standing behind a "Sports Illustrated" cover (sorry, im not a poet).
    Best!
    BruceB
    I see your point. :-) You might like Allure Homme Edition Blanche or Allure Homme Sport Cologne.

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Hello!
    Best!
    BruceB

Pablo Neruda over here....

Enjoy your fragrances, Bruce!
    Currently wearing: Eau de Cologne by Chanel

I see your point. :-) You might like Allure Homme Edition Blanche or Allure Homme Sport Cologne.
    Thank you very much! Looking forward to try those!

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Pablo Neruda over here....

Enjoy your fragrances, Bruce!
    Thanks!!!

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I like those two.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Allure is better in the cold for me, and Platinum Égoïste for warmer days. Both excellent scents with no surprises.
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Plus

I really enjoy Platinum Egoiste for sure. Allure I haven't bought, but I respect it. Maybe I will someday own it after resampling. My tastes have spread out a bit as the last 3 years have passed. Who knows what I will grow to like more?

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I like those two.
    Chanel...

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Allure is better in the cold for me, and Platinum Égoïste for warmer days. Both excellent scents with no surprises.
    I agree

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    I really enjoy Platinum Egoiste for sure. Allure I haven't bought, but I respect it. Maybe I will someday own it after resampling. My tastes have spread out a bit as the last 3 years have passed. Who knows what I will grow to like more?
    Allure is a surprise; for sure! And the part when the dey begins....sounds like a movie. A good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post

Im sorry, but I have to say that the dry part of the Allure is incredible!

Either of the two your considering, If budget is an issue, then of course the Chanel.

Sorry wrong thread.
    Currently wearing: XJ 1861 Naxos by Xerjoff

From a personal viewpoint, seeing the lineup of exquisite French classics already in your wardrobe, considering that both fragrances are worthy additions to the existing ones, since both of the two add a certain distinct Chanel type of elegance to fresh and/or sporty casual notes

OP....Allure Homme Edition Blanche is excellent. Get it when you can. Seek out the EDT Concentree and if you find it under $100 grab it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by allkindsofwatches1 View Post
    OP....Allure Homme Edition Blanche is excellent. Get it when you can. Seek out the EDT Concentree and if you find it under $100 grab it.
    Agreed, it's my favorite Allure and is on my "to buy at some point" list. Not many screaming deals on this one, though!

Chanels are just so well calibrated. You really need to wear them to appreciate the level of consideration that goes into making these scents smell and perform exquisitely. We talk a lot about the classics, but even their modern/mainstream stuff is consistently very good, even stuff often overlooked like the Allure line. No duds.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Chanels are just so well calibrated. You really need to wear them to appreciate the level of consideration that goes into making these scents smell and perform exquisitely. We talk a lot about the classics, but even their modern/mainstream stuff is consistently very good, even stuff often overlooked like the Allure line. No duds.
    I have really mixed feelings about Chanel's entire line. While they have some undoubtedly great stuff both in the exclusive tier and the mass market tier, some of the mass market stuff just isn't that interesting. A friend and I were talking about them and sampling them the other day. The Allure line is nice...but that's all it is. Just nice. Pleasant and inoffensive. But not really that interesting. I tried the Edition Blanche after reading all the praise for it on this board, but I thought it was pretty disappointing.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    From a personal viewpoint, seeing the lineup of exquisite French classics already in your wardrobe, considering that both fragrances are worthy additions to the existing ones, since both of the two add a certain distinct Chanel type of elegance to fresh and/or sporty casual notes
    Chanel fragrance is overall awesome, but I will never forgive Chanel if they discontinue Pour Monsieur EDP. I 'must' have that in my wardrobe. It's, IMO, one of the most essential fragrances I own. I didn't think so until I heard it was not currently in stock and was pulled from shelves. Then I realized how much the fragrance means to me. I know many here feel the same about the EDT version.

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    The Allure line is nice...but that's all it is. Just nice. Pleasant and inoffensive. But not really that interesting. I tried the Edition Blanche after reading all the praise for it on this board, but I thought it was pretty disappointing.
    I get that. The Allure line is definitely pleasant and inoffensive. The interesting component for me is largely on a technical level - they're built like fine Swiss watches. Perfect, consistent sillage. Great longevity. Work in any weather. Formal, casual, romantic, fresh. Somewhat youthful, with gravitas. Have body, never oppressive. Very few houses can take that kind of brief and knock it out of the park, repeatedly.

From a hobbyist's typical perspective, this won't get a lot of folks amped up, and that's understandable. But for a someone looking for a high quality modern style "dumb reach" that is absolutely infallible, here they are.

I get see this line as the brand's weak point, though. For me that would be Bleu. Similar goal, but simply doesn't smell as nice to me.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Agreed, it's my favorite Allure and is on my "to buy at some point" list. Not many screaming deals on this one, though!

I get that. The Allure line is definitely pleasant and inoffensive. The interesting component for me is largely on a technical level - they're built like fine Swiss watches. Perfect, consistent sillage. Great longevity. Work in any weather. Formal, casual, romantic, fresh. Somewhat youthful, with gravitas. Have body, never oppressive. Very few houses can take that kind of brief and knock it out of the park, repeatedly.

From a hobbyist's typical perspective, this won't get a lot of folks amped up, and that's understandable. But for a someone looking for a high quality modern style "dumb reach" that is absolutely infallible, here they are.

I get see this line as the brand's weak point, though. For me that would be Bleu. Similar goal, but simply doesn't smell as nice to me.
    Are you planning on the Edition Blanche EdP then?

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Are you planning on the Edition Blanche EdP then?
    I think so. As far as I can tell, there is (or used to be?) an EDT Concentree as well. Any insight into the differences?

I think so. As far as I can tell, there is (or used to be?) an EDT Concentree as well. Any insight into the differences?
    I don't really know, and I wouldn't bother personally (as go looking for an "EdT Concentree" bottle). All I can say is that I've never detected any differences based on how it smells on paper. I've worn it only once, sometime in 2015. I got the Bleu Parfum a while back; nice, but it might make my sale/swap list.

I agree with your 'dumb reach' point, I thought for you that was L'Homme Sage or Live Jazz? That's (L'Homme Sage) been #1 on my wishlist for a while.

Edit: On the context of dumb-reach, I'm sampling MFK's Gentle Fluidity (Silver) on my arm right now, and this stuff has potential. The price is silly (it costs more than Absolue Pour le Soir).

Though, for me Rive Gauche pour Homme is the dumb-reach. Smells understated but incredible, consistent soft/moderate sillage, excellent duration, can be dressed up or down (except for maybe with shorts at the beach, or similar situations). I've worn it to work, grad school, salsa dancing, dates, ultrasonography tests and visa interviews. Modern enough for pretty much everyone, but not Acqua di Gio, Bleu or Sauvage.

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

I don't really know, and I wouldn't bother personally (as go looking for an "EdT Concentree" bottle). All I can say is that I've never detected any differences based on how it smells on paper. I've worn it only once, sometime in 2015. I got the Bleu Parfum a while back; nice, but it might make my sale/swap list.

I agree with your 'dumb reach' point, I thought for you that was L'Homme Sage or Live Jazz? That's (L'Homme Sage) been #1 on my wishlist for a while.

Edit: On the context of dumb-reach, I'm sampling MFK's Gentle Fluidity (Silver) on my arm right now, and this stuff has potential. The price is silly (it costs more than Absolue Pour le Soir).
    L'Homme Sage could be a winter dumb reach, and Live Jazz I just need to wear more. I don't because it's discontinued. Something I'm working on!

Really, for me, almost anything can be a dumb reach. It's more of a categorization I use for the benefit of others to express that something has an "easy" personality.

Speaking of MFK, Lumiere Noire is a great dumb reach. Haven't smelled either of new Gentle Fluidities.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Completley agree with you. Very interesting fresh additions. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by allkindsofwatches1 View Post

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I will!!!

Agree. Once you wear Chanel...its a turning point.