Code of Conduct

Default Into French Oriental??

Hello,
    Hello to all...
    Newly into fragrances and wanted to try a "small" inexpensive Oriental-style cologne. I've heard great things about Jaipur Boucheron cologne for men. Any thoughts on this one or another smaller available (3.5oz.) sizes available?

Thanks,
    LWLee

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Into French Oriental??

Welcome to you LWLee! Enjoy your time here at Basenotes! Jaipur would be a very nice one to choose IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

You might dig Guerlain Heritage edt. I just received it and am currently enjoying it quite a bit. It's a little wild in the opening, but quite lovely in the dry down.

What I did at first was to obtain bottles of "cheapos" that represented the different genres. So, to do that with "masculine" orientals, I would have said Catalylst for Men, which used to sell for around $10 but recently the prices spiked. Still, you might find one for a low price at a local store. Jaipur Homme I'd describe as a specific kind of oriental, quite unique, so if you don't like it that doesn't mean you won't like more traditional type orientals that have been marketed to men.

Another one that comes to mind is Aramis JHL.

And of course Guerlain Shalimar is perfect for men too.

cacio

Welcome to Basenotes! Since you’re dipping a toe, you don’t really need to spend on any full sized bottle. Check out some of the decant sites like Surrender to Chance, theperfumedcourt, decantshop, etc.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Another one that comes to mind is Aramis JHL.

And of course Guerlain Shalimar is perfect for men too.

cacio
    JHL's prices went through the roof before Catalyst's even began to rise. Another idea is Witness by Bogart, which still isn't too high in price. However, that brings up an important issue for a newbie, which is whether he wants a monster lavender note in his oriental or not. if so, then Witness it is. If not, then Catalyst is better. Opium Pour Homme is in the middle, so to speak. LP No. 9 for Men by Penhaligon's will cost more.

Don't ask: just go reading threads/reviews with this subject
    Currently wearing: Jacomo for Men by Jacomo

there's 15ml jaipur on ebay for $20, check it. & if you bought it let us know your impression
    Currently wearing: 33 by Chris Rusak

Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    You might dig Guerlain Heritage edt. I just received it and am currently enjoying it quite a bit. It's a little wild in the opening, but quite lovely in the dry down.
    Always a good recommendation. If I were to only keep one fragrance from my collection, I could probably live with Heritage. And I do prefer the EDT to the EDP.

Basenotes Plus

The edt is twenty dollars for 1.7 and the edp is thirty for a 3.4

Id just buy a sample, and if you like it buy a bottle. Decants of something that cheap just don't seem to pay off.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Cool Water by Davidoff

Also adding Eau des Baux, seconding the EDP version of Jaipur by Boucheron, as well as Bogart One Man Show Oud Edition, Caractere by Daniel Hechter (this one being a dark fougere with Oriental hints), Habit Rouge EDP, Chanel Egoiste (for a masculine rose Oriental with cinnamon and other spices), Le Male by JPG (taking the Oriental notes on a very gourmand level)

Freed from BN Institution

I would recommend trying the various vanilla fragrances offered by Guerlain.

Here's some to consider from Guerlain

Angelique Noire
    Cuir Beluga
    Spiritueuse Double Vanille
    Tonka Imperiale
    Gourmand Coquin
    Oriental Brulant

of course
    Shalimar
    Jicky
    L'Instant

If you can find samples, definitely worth trying
    Iris Ganache
    Bois d'Arménie
    Shalimar Ode a la vanille
    Shalimar Ode a la vanille sur la route de Mexique
    Shalimar Ode a la vanille sur la route de Madagascar
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35