Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

Default Rose fans, have you tried Much Ado About The Duke by Penhaligon's?

I sampled this one earlier today. Er... yesterday. It reminded me of Rose 31, minus the cumin, and perhaps with creamy wood similar to something else I've smelled by Penhaligon's... perhaps Levantium, but toned way down, and not in a bad way.

After the opening fades, Much Ado About The Duke becomes subtle but persistent. It could be a fantastic signature scent. If this sold at the same prices online as others by Penhaligon's, I'd buy it for sure... but it's part of the Portraits collection, and those are pricey. Still, for the right person, this could be perfect.

I'm not sure if I'll treat myself to a bottle, but I sure am tempted!

Has anyone else tried it?
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    CK One
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Prada L'Homme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Interlude Man
    Noir De Noir
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Aqua Universalis
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Currently wearing: Interlude Man by Amouage

Default Re: Rose fans, have you tried Much Ado About The Duke by Penhaligon's?

Tried it. Owned it. Sold it.

It's a good alternative to Rose 31 (made by the same perfumer I might say), but alas there is no rose in it, just like Rose 31. I got it for next to nothing on eBay (tester) and it is sure has a strong silage. But it's a wonderfully put together ISO E Super and cumin scent. In fact, I love the cumin in it, but the ISO E Super is just too bland. Everyone has done it, so why bother with another?

There are much better rose scents out there. Portrait of a Lady for one. Penhaligon's may make a great first impression (as do most scents with so much ISO E Super), but you will come to regret it later, just like I did.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    you will come to regret it later, just like I did.
    It's so funny you should say that. You're probably right. I got my sample at least 2 years ago. I loved it, and yet, I didn't keep wearing it enough to finish the sample. I dug it out earlier today (well, yesterday) and, again, I loved it.

I got Castile for $40. If I could buy this for $40 I'd do it. For $40, it's worth it for an every now and then scent. But prices on the Portraits collection are high enough that I don't think I'd do it.

I do enjoy how this wears for me though. I get less cumin than with Rose 31. I enjoy Rose 31, but I might prefer this. I do wish the rose was just a bit more prominent, and I wish the woods were creamier, and I wish all the children of the world would join hands and sing together in the spirit of harmony and peace... as long as I'm wishing, right?
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    CK One
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Prada L'Homme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Interlude Man
    Noir De Noir
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Aqua Universalis
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post

Has anyone else tried it?
    Just recently tried it and thought it was quite pleasant.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Sounds like it is worth a try - just added a sample to my cart for the next time I buy something. Thanks for the heads-up on this one.
    Current Spring Favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. Clive Christian - 1872 for Men
    5. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    6. Ermenegildo Zegna - Javanese Patchouli
    7. Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back
    8. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver EDP
    9. Creed - Green Valley
    10. Parfumerie Generale - Grand Siecle Intense 7.1

I quite like it, not much of a rose scent as a previous poster said but still really nice and refined. My 2nd favorite from the Portraits collection after The Uncompromising Sohan.
    Currently wearing: Meringa by Profumum

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I have tried it. It is not a rose perfume, per se.

It's also not a perfume, per se. Pretty much a disaster like the rest of the line, I'd rate it two on a scale of zero to five.
    a bottle a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Castile by Penhaligon's

Love Le Labo Rose 31 on the days where the cumin doesn't kick up. On the other days, I loathe that one note. This sounds worth trying.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

Quote Originally Posted by yuncherrypops View Post
    I quite like it, not much of a rose scent as a previous poster said but still really nice and refined. My 2nd favorite from the Portraits collection after The Uncompromising Sohan.
    Agree with both parts of this!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Love Le Labo Rose 31 on the days where the cumin doesn't kick up. On the other days, I loathe that one note. This sounds worth trying.
    I have that problem too. When the cumin stays in check, Rose 31 is one of my all time favorite scents. But there are other times when the cumin really booms out, and I regret wearing it. I had a noteworthy experience with Rose 31 back in 2017. An old friend was in town for a few days & I wore Rose 31 when we hung out. She raved about how I smelled. She knows I have what to her is a huge collection, and she said it was the best thing she'd ever smelled on a guy. When she came back to town again a few months later, I made sure to wear Rose 31 since she'd enjoyed it so much, but this time, she told me she didn't like it. She literally asked me to wear something different next time. She didn't hate it, but she said something like "I've smelled so many better things on you. This one just didn't work for me." But it was the same scent that was her favorite the time before!

Is that a common thing for scents with a lot of cumin, where they can smell different on different days? I don't know. Rose 31 is the only scent with a lot of cumin that I own.

I assume the weather had something to do with it...? The first time, it was a cool dry day with very low humidity. The second time, it was a warmer day (temps in the 60s) and humid.

I was amazed by how different her perception of the scent was - but I've noticed it too. There are days when I adore Rose 31, but there are times when I can't stand it. That's why I don't wear it more often.
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    CK One
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Prada L'Homme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Interlude Man
    Noir De Noir
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Aqua Universalis
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

I Like it! Is a top 5 Penhaligon's imo, following: Halfeti, As Sawira, Sohan, Endymion.

It is far from being a great rose fragrance - but nonetheless is easy to wear.
    Top Bottles: • costa azzurra acqua • black leather j-scent • unum Io non ho mani • terre d'hermes parfum • andree putman l'original • tonic blanc • xerjoff nio • no.9 bukhoor elixir • kosmala no. 4 apres l'amour • 19-69 capri • mandarino di amalfi acqua

Freed from BN Institution

It was ok although I prefer others from both the collection and rose in general.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35