Code of Conduct

Default Advice on possible fake Aqua di gio tester

Hi there,
    I recently bought a bottle of Aqua DI Gio tester off of ebay. I was mindful somewhat of the fact there are a lot of fakes out there and found a perfume seller that had 100% positive feedback out of thousands of feedbacks left by buyers. The bottle was $40 which I figured it would be cheaper with it being a tester bottle.
    However when I used the cologne it didn't smell like the old one I used to used. It smelled much more like a women's perfume, like eternity or something.
    I checked it against YouTube videos and different postings and there are some red flags but it fits a lot of the authentic profiles. I'm not sure if the differences are with it being a tester bottle or not.
    I've attached a pic of it but these are the things I can see that are right/wrong.

*Box does not have ingredients listed inside. I've seen this listed as an example of both authentic and fake so I am confused as to that.
    *Bottle has ingredients listed on the back of it.
    *Bottle has an embossed *3* on the base.
    Box does not have Giorgio Armani embossed on the top of box, it's just printed.
    *Box embossed code on the base matches the code of the holographic sticker on base of bottle.
    *Box does not have barcodes printed on either side.
    *Box has barcode on back but no QC code.

If anyone can help I'd much appreciate it. I've decided saving $30 is not worth this hassle. If it is indeed fake I will be purchasing from a reputable National dealer.
    Thanks!
    Nathan.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Advice on possible fake Aqua di gio tester

I personally don't buy testers, but from your photos, I don't see anything that screams fake unless I have missed something obvious. Should you decide not to keep it for whatever reason, you are protected so you shouldn't have any problem.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

There used to be at least a couple of fake vs. real videos on Youtube about AdG, but those were rather bad fakes. The photos you provided are not big enough. For example, the real one has very fine lettering in places, which most of the fakes do not. Also, the fakes tend to be less full, and parts of the coating of the bottle fleck off easily (you can use your fingernails to see if that or the lettering comes off easily). There are a huge number of fake AdG testers (in boxes that look real), so I suggest at least buying from a site like Fragrancenet. I would not buy one off ebay, unless it was a major seller of fragrances of all types (not just the most popular ones), and also look at their feedback and where they are located (I would not buy from China, eastern Europe, Russia, etc.).

Thanks for the help! The seller seemed pretty safe, based in the US, 1000s of positive feedback and they exclusively sell perfumes/cologne. The seller is "scents-select".
    I've decided to return it anyhow. It's just too big of a pain worrying if I've got the authentic stuff. Thanks for the suggestion of where to buy, I'll definitely check them out. And thanks again for the help!
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by nmwald1 View Post
    Thanks for the help! The seller seemed pretty safe, based in the US, 1000s of positive feedback and they exclusively sell perfumes/cologne. The seller is "scents-select".
    I've decided to return it anyhow. It's just too big of a pain worrying if I've got the authentic stuff. Thanks for the suggestion of where to buy, I'll definitely check them out. And thanks again for the help!
    Nathan
    I took a look at the seller's listing and the bottle looks fake to me, but of course photographs can be deceiving.