Code of Conduct

Post Esxence 2019 - my experience

My first post! I have been creeping these forms for a while now.

I am wondering if anyone was interested in hearing about my experience from Esxence 2019?

Let me know which topic(s) you'd like to speak about?
    - Any brands in specific?
    - Industry talks? (there were so many let me know which in specific, I went to half of them)
    - Industry expose?
    - Drama with the bloggers/vloggers?

Last edited by alan1; 18th May 2019 at 08:14 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Esxence 2019 - my experience

I, for one, would love to hear about your experiences! (And I'm quite sure others would, as well.)

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

You could do an article for Grant! Contact the support email!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: TH Bold by Tommy Hilfiger

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    You should do an article for Grant!
    Who is grant ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    I, for one, would love to hear about your experiences! (And I'm quite sure others would, as well.)
    Anything in specific? I know it’s kinda old news but I couldn’t find much on here — so I thought I’d finally contribute

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alan1 View Post
    Who is grant ?

He's the guy who runs this place and is always looking for great contributions!

Contact him here:

http://www.basenotes.net/sendmessage.php

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Anything in specific? I know it’s kinda old news but I couldn’t find much on here — so I thought I’d finally contribute

All the things you sniffed and what you thought of them.

Any trends you spotted. New tech. New aromachemicals. New companies. Perfumers!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I would like to hear which houses you visited and spent time at and which fragrances you experienced while there.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Oh I don’t even know where to start... I will start from the start of my trip.

I am a lifestyle blogger and has recently gotten into fragrances. One of the brands I’ve worked with invited me to Esxence. I applied for a press pass and got accepted <3

www.instagram.com/alanlifestyle1

A couple weeks before the event, I got probably 100 emails from brands to schedule meetings. Very overwhelming!

As for the brands, there are too many to name! Take a look at the site and let me know if you would like reviews for anything in specific. I only had time to meet with half of the brands there were sooo many brands there. It was so crazy. Every brand I met gave me a discovery set. If you have any questions about any brands please let me know. I can dig in this box and review for you lol

And ohh honeyyy the drama with the bloggers/vloggers being “gifted”. The drama is so real. But I’m surprised I got about as many as the big YouTubers! I saw some of their hauls. Not going to disclose which brands since I am still working out my brand campaigns... Has anyone else ever been to Esxence ? This, or last year?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I would like to hear which houses you visited and spent time at and which fragrances you experienced while there.
    Please take a look at the list of brands and let me know which house you’d like a review for see my post below I have samples from most of the houses <3

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    He's the guy who runs this place and is always looking for great contributions!

Contact him here:

http://www.basenotes.net/sendmessage.php
    Ouh thank you. Will do

Every brand I met gave me a discovery set.

Quite a haul there! Now we know how to go about scoring free samples lol. Welcome to Basenotes!
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Any brands in specific ? There were like 200 exhibitors! One can only smell so many in 3/4 days. I was able to meet with half the brands

I really enjoyed The Harmonist, MDCI, Masque Milano. Thankfully they were very generous and sent me full sized bottles. So full review up soon. Curious about any more Indy brands?

User of Toilet Water

- Drama with the bloggers/vloggers
    I'd love to hear about this if you're willing to name names!

As an aside, it's always amazed me how Esxence goes by with practically no notice here on Basenotes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post

As an aside, it's always amazed me how Esxence goes by with practically no notice here on Basenotes.
    Oh hunniiiii not going to name names lol but these people take themselves so seriously! I am used to going to PR brand events with various PR firms. But these bloggers/vloggers are just next level pretentious. If there’s traction on this post I’m going to a fragrance event with a major beauty distributor in June. I can do a review as well

These bloggers l were asking for “review units” - shaking my head. (I’m sure not everyone) Whereas I would just listen to the brand owners’ inspiration etc. and exchange business cards. If they wanted to collaborate — my Instagram/contact info was attached. I know there are no set rules when it comes to “fragrance reviewers”. But I think the way I handled the situation was best practice. Not the mention I was flying carry on so I was legit at my carry on limit. Even not asking for anything each day I had bags full of products!!

When I looked at “someones Esxence haul”. I’m surprised I received about the same amount of products without straight up pressuring the brand owner right in front of me!

Did anyone else attend? How come there are no other user experience stories on Basenotes?! I thought I would try to open up the conversation

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

Quite a haul there! Now we know how to go about scoring free samples lol. Welcome to Basenotes!
    Thank you

I have heard other comments on the net about the excessive demands of these «*influencers*»/vloggers. Very cheeky, and I’m happy to hear you didn’t engage in such tactics. Very interested in the new Hiram Green Lustre and Masque Milano Kintsuge (sp?)

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    I have heard other comments on the net about the excessive demands of these «*influencers*»/vloggers. Very cheeky, and I’m happy to hear you didn’t engage in such tactics. Very interested in the new Hiram Green Lustre and Masque Milano Kintsuge (sp?)
    Oh I actually met Hiram; it was an absolute pleasure. Most houses are just a brand. They would outsource the actual perfume creation and production to a lab. Hiram, actually creates his creations himself!

Green Lustre was my favourite in his line. I think green fragrances will be so in this year. The juice is literally green (not sure if it’s from artificial colourants). I remember a bright citrusy opening — with a waxy green, slightly white floral, clean woody dry down. I have a sample somewhere. I’ll try it again and give you an update

Thank you for the nice words. And I am not sure about that Masque Milano unfortunately. The bloggers/vloggers were too MUCHHH lol but they may do this full time. I just do my lifestyle Instagram on the side to my day job.

Oh I actually met Hiram; it was an absolute pleasure. Most houses are just a brand. They would outsource the actual perfume creation and production to a lab. Hiram, actually creates his creations himself!

Green Lustre was my favourite in his line. I think green fragrances will be so in this year. The juice is literally green (not sure if it’s from artificial colourants). I remember a bright citrusy opening — with a waxy green, slightly white floral, clean woody dry down. I have a sample somewhere. I’ll try it again and give you an update
    I think you are referring to Arbole Arbole, the green one? Lustre is a transparent rose perfume.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post

The Italians on here used to do this a bit (Colin Maillard, Alfarom, Darvant), but I haven't seen anything lately. Luca Turin is there, I think, so he might write something, or just offer something on twitter.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: English Leather by Dana

Basenotes Plus

- Drama with the bloggers/vloggers?
    Dish!

And I for one would love to hear all about Masque Milano's offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    The Italians on here used to do this a bit (Colin Maillard, Alfarom, Darvant), but I haven't seen anything lately.
    I wonder if the sheer volume of new output is causing exhaustion among the true perfumistas (as opposed to the "influencers" crowd who have a mercenary motive). I mean, 2,000+ new scents per year and the inevitable decline in quality could just wear a person out.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Any brands in specific ?
    Jacques Zolty (newest Havana releases) Parle -Moi De Parfums - specifically Gardens of India, Renier Perfumes, Olfactive Studio - new Sepia Collection additions coming in Fall 2019: Iris Shot, Rose Shot, Violet Shot; Maison Incens – Musc Dahabii; L’Arc Parfums – Boreale; Hervé Gambs – three Ice Colognes: Ice Land, Ice Lemon, Ice River and Tonka Majestic; Franck Boclet – Ivory Collection (Be My Wife, Just, Married, Blue Moon, Velvet) and Café (from Fragrance Collection); Evody Parfums – Collection Cachemire of Extraits de Parfum 30ml: Citè Onirique, Desert Nocturne, Sable Pourpre; Paul Emilien – Vent d’Orient
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I think you are referring to Arbole Arbole, the green one? Lustre is a transparent rose perfume.
    Oh you are correct. Sorry I forgot Hiram’s last name is “Green”. Lustre, yes, the transparent rose. That is a beautiful fragrance. I am not the most into Rose scents, but it was a very fresh, almost watery Rose. Very smooth, fresh and crisp rose. Imagine it being morning and your are in a rose garden with a slight dew on the petals.

I believe I recall Hiram is trying to secure distribution in London. I hope he does, the whole line is wonderful.

Jacques Zolty (newest Havana releases) Parle -Moi De Parfums - specifically Gardens of India, Renier Perfumes, Olfactive Studio - new Sepia Collection additions coming in Fall 2019: Iris Shot, Rose Shot, Violet Shot; Maison Incens – Musc Dahabii; L’Arc Parfums – Boreale; Hervé Gambs – three Ice Colognes: Ice Land, Ice Lemon, Ice River and Tonka Majestic; Franck Boclet – Ivory Collection (Be My Wife, Just, Married, Blue Moon, Velvet) and Café (from Fragrance Collection); Evody Parfums – Collection Cachemire of Extraits de Parfum 30ml: Citè Onirique, Desert Nocturne, Sable Pourpre; Paul Emilien – Vent d’Orient
    Hi Hednic,

Wow you have very very niche taste lol I spent my time with more “basic brands”. But I just compared your list to the samples I have:

Hervé Gambs: the ice collection is very underwhelming. I would skip this. Smells like a simple Acqua Di Gio sorry Hervé. And they all smell very similar after the initial opening.

Paul Emilien is a great house. Vent D’Orient is a bit too strong and clawing for me (in my opinion) Think over spraying TF tuscan leather, and vanille fatale (that may sound appealing haha). I just smelled the line and my faves are Chaleur Gitane, Gardenia Tropical and Cuir Rustique. Chaleur Gitane has the most amazing dark chocolate note .

I’ll update with the L’arc, and Olfactive Studio lines tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    The Italians on here used to do this a bit (Colin Maillard, Alfarom, Darvant), but I haven't seen anything lately. Luca Turin is there, I think, so he might write something, or just offer something on twitter.
    I did see Luca Turin, I didn’t say hi, and I didn’t know what he looked like, but he wrote his name on his pass in BIG letters LOL. You gotta do what you gotta do!

Everyone looks at your pass before even saying hi. The shade was real. The kinda of passes are:
    - Press
    - Distributor (location)
    - Retailer (retailer)
    - General (aka general public)

So based on what your pass says/the location of the distribution company/the brand is looking for, they would kinda prioritize their time accordingly. (I totally see where they are coming from though). It wasn’t super super busy, but each brand had 1/2 people at the respective booth, so they could only physically speak to max 2 people at once.

All of this, in addition to having appointments booked. Thankfully I had appointments with the brands I wanted. The brands get everyone’s contact info before, in addition to attendees, company/blog info etc. Because this info is mandatory to apply to register.