Code of Conduct

Lightbulb Using up mediocre formulas

Hi all, I am a beginner and today I have been doing some cleaning and organizing in my little hobby lab. I’m just to the point where I have to figure out what to do with my experiments that I don’t plan to use for anything. Some of them might be perfectly pleasant to someone somewhere but I don’t want them. In most cases they were a stepping stone toward something I like better that ill just store away.

Im thinking room freshener is probably the way for me to go. Since I currently work in tiny amounts and each “experiment” usually only amounts to about one gram, I recently had the idea that I would make tiny candles and just dump in the experiment to the wax, cross my fingers, and see what happens. I do have tiny amounts of alcohol in my mixtures— I dilute viscous, potent, or precious materials in alcohol generally but otherwise just work neat—but it seems so nominal an amount of alcohol as not to matter, as far as fire risk, in a candle? To be clear, I wouldn’t want to sell these, just to use myself or give away to someone! This might also help me learn what works in candles and what doesn’t, in theory.

My other idea is using diffusers, the kind where you put drops of fragrance onto cartridges of thick paper and then it disperses fragrance by heat. Or, I could just drip fragrance onto paper and clip them on a fan.

What do the big kids do with something they’re tinkering with but it is not the final version? When you have something pretty nice but boring, or a little too much of this or that, but kind of okay? I started a jar of waste but I felt sad just dumping what I know contained tuberose and jasmine absolute.

Interested in any thoughts you have on what you do with this sort of material.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Using up mediocre formulas

many times, I pour them on the dried out wooden fence in the backyard, and let them evaporate on their own... That way they don't go to a hazardous treatment center, and they don't get into the soil.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

I take a neutral shower gel and add my stepping stones to that.

Pkiler, I suppose you have too many to bother trying to use them like I describe. I Think I like your method. I would copy you if I lived in the desert. Here It is wet and I’m right on the river so if I let it get rained on it’s probably bad news for the watershed and my pond. I may try that in summer though, maybe with some kind of trough beneath, in case a surprise rain.

Soap could be good. I did this with one and the damn thing is lasting for an eternity in the shower.

Now I’m thinking of adding to dishwashing soap... (Actually, now I’m thinking maybe I’m being masochistic, after reading Pk’s fast and easy approach.)

Just don't put a perfume that has phenylacetylaldehyde in bubble bath... omg it gets stronger and won't come off.

Basenotes Member

Once I bought a fake jasmine from a scammer from India on ebay, and got an angry email about my negative feedback, which was: "Have it in my spray gun for self-defense."

Quote Originally Posted by Ivor Joedy View Post
    Once I bought a fake jasmine from a scammer from India on ebay, and got an angry email about my negative feedback, which was: "Have it in my spray gun for self-defense."
    Heh. This is a good idea for the failed perfumes. Ever since recently smelling synthetic civet for the first time, I’ve been wondering what kinds of “off-label” punishments it has given.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    Heh. This is a good idea for the failed perfumes.
    Although it sounds like a joke - I really did it. I bought a spray gun for 1 euro, dissolved the materials in cheap isopropyl alcohol and carried it in a plastic bag. I think some people are still wondering about the kitschy, flowery and soapy smell in ...

However, do not use it against your neighbor's car (the one parked in your car park), as it will never get out of the plastic parts.
    It's important that everyone finds it funny in the end.

I keep mine...
    And analyze them
    Know your "why," and the how is there.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by mattmeleg View Post
    I keep mine...
    And analyze them
    Of course, best advice. I referred more to adulterated material possibly containing unknown synthetics.

Another option sometimes is to modify it (self made failures) and use for creams or after shaves.

It happenes to me even with new pure materials, that I can not use them: On my last purchase I ordered out of curiosity not only juniper berries EO from fruits, but also wood. It does not seem to be suitable for perfumery, smells good, but is weak and reminiscent of a carpenter's workshop.

Another problematic material is bay (pimenta racemosa), which seems to me beeing too harsh. Still good for conserving cremes. But I have seen they are perfumes containing bay.