Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Woodsy wood scent - a bit deep, a bit dark, a bit dry, and definitely masculine. Any suggestions?

Hi,

I'd really like some suggestions if that's ok?

I'm on the hunt for a really good wood-centric scent. At present, I own and wear Grey Vetiver EDT, Acqua di Parma Sandalo, Costa Azzurra, and Cipresso di Toscana. All of these woody scents are decent or great in their own way, but they share a citrus element to them and I'd really like something more suited to Autumn/Winter and evenings and nights. More than that, however - I'd like a good, solid, masculine woody fragrance that really gives the impression of 'mid to dark brown woodiness', instead of anything coniferous and green. Some mild resins are maybe ok...but ideally to be avoided in case it veers too far away from a 'brown' scent.

I'm not averse to there being some spice and/or smoke in there, but I'd really prefer something a bit deep/dark/dry instead. Definitely no citrus; ideally no lavendar or oakmoss, either. I've tried Acqua di Parma's Quercia and Ebano - two scents I'd hoped would fit the bill - but there's something a bit off about them, sadly. Not a million miles away but I'm not a fan of the oakmoss-thing and the geranium in the Oak. Ebony came closer but I found it a bit weird (can't think of a better description at the moment, sorry!).

For fear I'm describing a unicorn here, I'll qualify it a bit further, with examples. Encre Noire is too dark, but it's not a million miles away - just not necessarily in terms of notes. I like that it goes down the semi-naturalistic route. I suppose I'd like that, just maybe not quite so 'upturned slab of mossy (not oakmoss) soil' as EN. I really dislike Oud Wood as a scent, but its style is close to what I'd like - smooth, classy, sophisticated, mature yet modern, with a nice prominence to the drier woody element (I just really dislike the rubbery Oud note). Don't mind it being a bit more daring than Oud Wood, but as I'd quite like this to be a winter signature, if it falls on the conservative side, that's no bad thing either.

So, doesn't have to be super dark, super dry, or super 'deep in the heart of a forest' - but I'd really like to go for a 'brown' wood scent, rather than anything 'green' or citrusy, if that makes sense?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Default Re: Woodsy wood scent - a bit deep, a bit dark, a bit dry, and definitely masculine. Any suggestions

Dirty English

Default Re: Woodsy wood scent - a bit deep, a bit dark, a bit dry, and definitely masculine. Any suggestions

If that's why I wanted I'd just go for an esssential olil, rosewood, cedar, or whatever,. which don't cost much and you just dilute them with vodka or perfumer's alcohol. You can then layer a little of something else if you like if you want a bit more complexity (such as spraying into the air then walking through it with your eyes closed).

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    If that's why I wanted I'd just go for an esssential olil, rosewood, cedar, or whatever,. which don't cost much and you just dilute them with vodka or perfumer's alcohol. You can then layer a little of something else if you like if you want a bit more complexity (such as spraying into the air then walking through it with your eyes closed).
    I have a decant bottle with cedar EO, Iso E Super and alcohol that I use in that way. It basically smells like Encre Noire minus the vetiver and musk.

What about Royal Oud? Have you tried that? Seems like it might fit the bill. I also like dry woody scents, so I'll be curious to see what others recommend here.

Que scay-je?

Dirty English is cheap and nasty. I may have smelt the less desirable version though.

Essential oils aren't a mile away but I'd prefer a perfume, in all honesty. Something with several notes, a nice blend etc. - that's the art of it. I don't want to just smell like an unfinished wardrobe, or a carpentry workshop, or 'just' like bark etc.

As in Creed's Royal Oud? I haven't tried it but I'll check it out, thanks. The notes look ok but I'm thinking it might be a bit on the light side?

As a heads up, these are ones I'm looking to try and sample first up: Aesop Hwyl, DS & Durga Bowmakers, Laudano Nero. I'd like something a little more dry in comparison to those?

I thought Dsquared He Wood series might be decent but they all seem to have violet and/or iris in them. The sooner that trend dies in male perfumery, the better in my opinion. As a general point, though, I'm not overly enthused by mainstream designers - high end designer fragrances and niche, even something like Encre Noire which arguably, as a glass maker, is a 'niche' perfume, is where I'd like to look. Genuinely good cheap designers are welcome - Polo Supreme Oud is a really decent perfume in my opinion - but only if they really stand out as atypical. No shade on mainstream designer fragrances at all but the $40 type scent isn't really what I'm after here.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Splendid Wood by YSL
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Royal Oud is a good choice. The citrus is fleeting while the cedar is very dry and prominent. I personally don’t like the pink pepper though. Otherwise it seems to meet your requirements (again, aside from the fleeting citrus in the opening).

CDG Wonderwood is nice. Not in a slight dark brown way, a little fresh, but not green imo

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

How about these -

Bentley for Men Intense
    Diptyque Oud Palao
    Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese (though more smoky)
    Chanel Egoiste
    M7 Oud Absolu

Your description could be altered slightly to make it a description for the now discontinued Gucci pour Homme II, so I'd add in Bentley for Men Absolute which is very similar. But these are very different from Oud Wood.

Getting started with essential oils as suggested by bigsly might be a good idea. Just avoid cade EO, as it is very smoky which is not what you're after.
    a bottle a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I also like CDG Sequoia

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Honestly you might be after a unicorn because of this simple reason - among expensive 'niche' perfumes that fit your criteria of being woody, modern (no oakmoss/geranium/carnation which rules out Antaeus and others), no citrus, minimal spice, dry, not light - most of these are also smoky based on personal experience. Amouage has many woody compositions, but they also use incense and have smoky elements. The ones that have minimal smoke are more of the creamy sandalwood type of scents (Dries Van Noten, for example).

Another one could be Sudestada, which is basically a cedar composition, dry without being smoky, no citrus. But it is not dark, it is similar to Creed's Royal Oud. You might also want to try Armani Prive Oud Royal and Amouage Epic Man.

These are the basic wood 'notes' you get in perfume off the top of my head -

cedar - this is probably what you're after
    oud - could be anything, from oud wood note to actual oud oil, but almost any oud perfume will be smoky to an extent
    birch tar - smoky/leathery
    rosewood oil - I don't know how this smells in isolation
    cade - smoky
    sandalwood - not smoky, but the perfume might not be 'masculine'
    patchouli - has potential, but has a 'green' character, and moreover often combined with oakmoss; could be smoky

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^

Edit: Of course, I forgot vetiver. Maybe try something like Sycomore?
    a bottle a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

For "a bit deep, a bit dark" fall/winter I think Mechant Loup is worth checking out. I would not call it dry, and like most scents, I do consider it to be unisex.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Honestly you might be after a unicorn because of this simple reason - among expensive 'niche' perfumes that fit your criteria of being woody, modern (no oakmoss/geranium/carnation which rules out Antaeus and others), no citrus, minimal spice, dry, not light - most of these are also smoky based on personal experience. Amouage has many woody compositions, but they also use incense and have smoky elements. The ones that have minimal smoke are more of the creamy sandalwood type of scents (Dries Van Noten, for example

Another one could be Sudestada, which is basically a cedar composition, dry without being smoky, no citrus. But it is not dark, it is similar to Creed's Royal Oud. You might also want to try Armani Prive Oud Royal and Amouage Epic Man.

oud - could be anything, from oud wood note to actual oud oil, but almost any oud perfume will be smoky to an extent
    cade - smoky
    patchouli - has potential, but has a 'green' character, and moreover often combined with oakmoss; could be smoky

It does look like the OP would be looking for a cedar dominated scent, with maybe a touch of Oud. Armani prive Oud Royal is nice but not woody dominant to me....love it though!

Royal Oud may be a bit light, but as others have said, it has a lot of cedar and some nice sandalwood in the dry down. To me it is more woody than anything else.

Que scay-je?

If you can find it, Trussardi Inside Men.

Alternatively, Serge Noire by Serge Lutens ticks all those boxes.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma
    Currently wearing: Bonheur by Bortnikoff

Freed from BN Institution

One comes to mind would be Creed Bois Du Portugal.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Freed from BN Institution

How about these -

Bentley for Men Intense
    Diptyque Oud Palao
    Chanel Egoiste
    M7 Oud Absolu

Your description could be altered slightly to make it a description for the now discontinued Gucci pour Homme II, so I'd add in Bentley for Men Absolute which is very similar. But these are very different from Oud Wood.

Getting started with essential oils as suggested by bigsly might be a good idea. Just avoid cade EO, as it is very smoky which is not what you're after.
    Chanel Egoiste is a good choice to consider, particularly if you like sandalwood.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

I was going to say Oud Wood, but then I read through your post

Wonderwood and 2 Man? I’m not sure if these are too stark and dry for you and whether you want something with a touch of sweetness.
    Tobacco Absolute by Molton Brown? Opens with a bit of sweetness but it’s mainly warm, darker woods accentuated with some tobacco supporting the cedar.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Tam Dao EDP

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah1919 View Post
    CDG Wonderwood is nice. Not in a slight dark brown way, a little fresh, but not green imo
    Thanks, this has been suggested a few times to me now and yet I haven't found a sample anywhere. I'm reluctant to buy a full bottle but, in all honesty, I should just go for it. I like what I've smelt of CdG, it's a mix of mainstream with some more artistic elements to them. Thanks for the suggestion.

How about these -

Bentley for Men Intense
    Diptyque Oud Palao
    Chanel Egoiste
    M7 Oud Absolu

Thanks. Having slept on it, I actually think essential oils might not be a bad way to go. Mainly to sort of 'try' as many woody notes as possible (there are some, like Hinoki, that I couldn't comfortably identify in a perfume) and then perhaps come back to searching more specifically for the wood notes I really like (rather than using the description I have here, using words like 'dark' and 'dry' etc.)

I despised Chanel Egoiste.Honestly, had to wash it off.
    Likewise, I hate Bentley for Men Intense. I'm not sure that really fits the brief either - I get cheap, nasty, sweet rum that makes you smell you an alcoholic, unfortunately. I am utterly amazed it gets the hype it does. Not what I'm after all, really. BfM Intense isn't bad per se but it does have that 'designer' thing going on - vague aromachemicals that I'm not confident identifying but make it smell 'like a cologne' - that I really don't want.
    The others look decent, definitely something to add to the list. Thank you for your suggestions - and apologies if that came across a bit critical.

Champion Thread Killer

Blog Entries

Creed Virgin Island Water today
    Diapers and politicians should be changed often, and for the same reason..
    Currently wearing: Cuba Green by Cuba Paris

Quote Originally Posted by Honger View Post
    For "a bit deep, a bit dark" fall/winter I think Mechant Loup is worth checking out. I would not call it dry, and like most scents, I do consider it to be unisex.
    Thanks, the notes look a touch too sweet but, honestly, if it's in the background, I can live with that. More importantly, it might be a good 'outlier' to know which direction to go, so I'll definitely try this out, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah1919 View Post
    It does look like the OP would be looking for a cedar dominated scent, with maybe a touch of Oud. Armani prive Oud Royal is nice but not woody dominant to me....love it though!
    Yes, agreed on both fronts! Oud Royal is really nice (I've only tried a tiny, 0.25ml sample!!!) and does a similar kind of thing to Oud Wood (and Versace's Oud, which I cannot think of the name right now) but much better. Not sure if people would agree with that? It's been a while since I sampled it so perhaps I'm forgetting. I got the impression it was a bit too regal (the name is apt IMO), a bit too classy, but I definitely want to sample this again, properly this time. It's the closest suggestion so far, for sure, from what I've tried. I just wish there were scents like this that 'highlighted' something like mahogany, or another kind of dark wood, rather than Oud, but I suppose that's fashion. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    If you can find it, Trussardi Inside Men.

Alternatively, Serge Noire by Serge Lutens ticks all those boxes.
    Thanks, both look promising.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    One comes to mind would be Creed Bois Du Portugal.
    Maybe a bit too barbershop/old school with the lavendar? I bought Lalique Lion a few years ago, and like it in a way, but it's not what I'm after (gave it to my father).

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Chanel Egoiste is a good choice to consider, particularly if you like sandalwood.
    Admittedly, I only tried a sample of Egoiste, but it's exactly what I don't want in terms of 'dryness'. I hated the cinnamon in it - when I mean dry, I mean the opposite of that. More solid panels of dry wood, than the dry, cloudy, sweet-spice of cinnamon. A good suggestion based on what I wrote, no doubt, so that's my fault - but the combination of rose and cinnamon...honestly one of my most hated perfumes I've ever tried. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    I was going to say Oud Wood, but then I read through your post

Wonderwood and 2 Man? I’m not sure if these are too stark and dry for you and whether you want something with a touch of sweetness.
    Tobacco Absolute by Molton Brown? Opens with a bit of sweetness but it’s mainly warm, darker woods accentuated with some tobacco supporting the cedar.
    Haha, no problem. I'm really trying to persist with the 10ml sample I have because in terms of 'concept' it's spot on - looking at the notes as well, some of the subtle supporting characters etc., and it sounds ideal. I just can't get past how disappointing it is/was.

Definitely going to try the CdGs, thanks. I'll try out Molton Brown as well. Do like a tobacco note in a frag, so thanks.

Consider Olivina Bourbon Cedar. Very natural-smelling concoction that layers a very fresh-cut cedar over a background of bourbon with slight accents of vanilla and woodsmoke. Not particularly contemporary or designer-y feeling; it feels like a modern riff on the Jacomo de Jacomo-style masculine. Simple but really nice.

Moving up the price scale, there's Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, which is all about dark, ambient, smoky woods with a defining Sichuan pepper note.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap List

Current Favorites
    Aramis Havana, Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Also adding Van Cleef&Arpels pour Homme and Roger&Gallet Open-both dark, rich, slightly smoky woody powerhouses, with a scent both surprisingly soapy and clean, as well as luxurious, for little money

I'd throw in Bentley for Men Absolute too

I would say Encre Noire

Honestly you might be after a unicorn because of this simple reason - among expensive 'niche' perfumes that fit your criteria of being woody, modern (no oakmoss/geranium/carnation which rules out Antaeus and others), no citrus, minimal spice, dry, not light - most of these are also smoky based on personal experience. Amouage has many woody compositions, but they also use incense and have smoky elements. The ones that have minimal smoke are more of the creamy sandalwood type of scents (Dries Van Noten, for example).

cade - smoky

Edit: Of course, I forgot vetiver. Maybe try something like Sycomore?
    Thanks for the reply, a well thought out resonse, and sadly one I think is almost certainly correct. I cannot fathom why woody scents are so poorly represented in modern perfumery. Particularly considering the obsession with lipstick scents for men. I suppose the Oud trend is modern woodiness though?

Cedar's not a million miles away, you're right. But the only Cedar I've tried in a frag that I can think of at the moment is Cedro by Acqua di Parma, and I despised that (because of lavendar and citrus it smelt exactly like a just-cleaned urinal to me). Something to check out though, for sure, minus those 'supporting' notes.

I'm starting to think essential oils might be a great idea, and from there I'd be more comfortable 'accepting' perfumes with a bit of spice/smoke. I'm not ruling out Patchouli either, I haven't found one I like yet, but maybe for a different scent to this. I don't mind smoke - in fact, I really like it - but I've gone down the incense-y route and found it's a bottomless pit of amazingly varied green/woody/spicy incenses, so I only mentioned it to try and stay away from suggestions that would veer too close to 'incense'.

I should also have added - I own Tom Ford's Italian Cypress as well and I really enjoy that, but if you replace the green in that with brown...that's not too far away from what I want.

Birch tar sounds interesting. I know the smell of birch bark from using it as tinder, but not brich tar per se.

Thanks for your reponse!