Code of Conduct

Question Looking for something 90% or more similar to Polo DOUBLE Black with better Performance

Hello guys, a few months ago, I bought 2 bottles of Polo Double Black & surely it was one of the Top 5 frangrances I've ever owned. So to cut the topic short:

1. I am looking for a perfume which smells exactly like Polo Double Black (Not Polo Black).

2. Sillage / Longevity of PDB was terrible, so this is why I've been trying to find an alternative for it.

3. If anyone could suggest a Sexy, Fresh Spicy yet Dark & mysterious frangrance with similar notes as Polo Double Black, I would highly appreciate it.

Not looking for sweet, cloying or Oud perfumes. Thanks!

Default Re: Looking for something 90% or more similar to Polo DOUBLE Black with better Performance

Mango, coffee, pepper, and nutmeg. I used to love Double Black as well back when I first started, before the raspy drydown began grating on me too much. I'd be interested to know as well, because I've never really smelled anything that closely resembles this fragrance.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Looking for something 90% or more similar to Polo DOUBLE Black with better Performance

Rocawear Evolution has some of the same notes but is cheaper and probably has even worse performance.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des GarÁons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Polo Double Black in an atomizer that you can put in your pocket.

100% same smell, and lasts as long as you could ever need it to.
    Current Spring Favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. Clive Christian - 1872 for Men
    5. Tom Ford - Rive díAmbre
    6. Ermenegildo Zegna - Javanese Patchouli
    7. Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back
    8. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver EDP
    9. Creed - Green Valley
    10. Parfumerie Generale - Grand Siecle Intense 7.1

Welcome!

Also adding, possibly to certain very limited extents, Zara Black Tag Intense (not just because of the black common theme of its naming) and Kelsey Berwin Zeus, two budget EDPs with excellent performance and a certain unexpected smoothness, even freshness of their sweeter, yet non-cloying notes.
    Currently wearing: Black Suede by Avon

Basenotes Junkie

I’d say try to track down some vintage DB. My bottle from 2010 lasted just fine on my when I wore it. One spray to each arm and three to the noneck, 5 total.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Sabianman1 View Post
    ... three to the noneck, 5 total.
    funny. Lol
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Trust me OP, there is nothing 100% similar to Double Black, there is nothing even 50% similar. It's one of the most unique fragrances I own, and one of the best smelling too. Unfortunately, the performance can be an issue, I totally agree. Just bring a decant around with you, and deal with it. Don't waste your time trying to match the notes and look for a clone, I have already done that and found nothing. Sadly, from what I was told, its been discontinued too, and prices keep creeping up, so if you see a good deal, it's best to snag it up fast. I also have two 4.2 oz bottles, and am considering getting a third.

I also own Rocawear Evolution, and don't find it anything similar. I find Evolution more along the lines of Varvatos Vintage. However, in that realm of something under 50% as close to Double Black, and ironically with much better performance, from the same brand would be Polo red Extreme. They do share the same coffee note, which Double Black and Red Extreme do in a different way than most I have tried. Red Extreme goes more into a long lasting tonka bean dry down. I own a mini bottle of Red Extreme, and rarely wear it because I find it kind of boring.

There's something about Double Black, the combination of notes, that makes it intriguing. The perfumer Ellen something, must use a certain aroma-molecule because she has a bit of a trend in her men's frags. Deseo, and Guess Suede, to name 2 that I know she did, although not particularly fond of either, both of which are discontinued as well. I get the similarity - it's like a fresh cotton smell.

The original Polo Black utilizes the same mango note, but the rest of that fragrance sucks imo. It's too immature of a fragrance, seems geared toward high school kids looking for something flamboyant.

Finally.. before posting this.. I would like to recommend something that is also discontinued, but can still be obtained for reasonable prices, that outperforms Double Black slightly, and is different, but has the same structure. It's called Zirh Corduroy. It's a real sleeper in the fragrance world, and one of my all time favorites. Performance is not much better, but the price is much lower. It has the same balance between sweet and spicy, it's unique, and has that same cotton like feel or smell or something that for some reason reminds me of cotton flower. I think you would like it. Everyone I have recommended it too has loved it as well.

Sorry there is no stronger Double Black. Sadly too, another great fragrance lost in the shuffle to newer trends.
    "Where there's gold, there's a gold digger" -Dashboard Confessional

So double black was discontinued? I was not aware. I agree with The_Cologniest - there is not really anything else out there just like it.
    Current Spring Favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. Clive Christian - 1872 for Men
    5. Tom Ford - Rive díAmbre
    6. Ermenegildo Zegna - Javanese Patchouli
    7. Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back
    8. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver EDP
    9. Creed - Green Valley
    10. Parfumerie Generale - Grand Siecle Intense 7.1

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    funny. Lol
    Yeah, not sure what autocorrect was trying to do there...

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    So double black was discontinued? I was not aware. I agree with The_Cologniest - there is not really anything else out there just like it.
    A sales associate told me this a while ago, and I made a thread about it at that time. We know SA's give misleading information though to dry and get you to buy stuff. I emailed Ralph Lauren at the time and still got no reply. I see it available on websites, including Macy's which is a good sign of it still being in production. Though I don't always consider that reliable.

Maybe someone could try to reach out to them again?
    "Where there's gold, there's a gold digger" -Dashboard Confessional

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Polo Double Black in an atomizer that you can put in your pocket.

100% same smell, and lasts as long as you could ever need it to.
    That will work!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I feel you; I actually really enjoy Double Black, but the longevity has kept me from investing in a full bottle. Here is the closest I've come to a replacement:
    Rochas Man for its milky coffee aspects, Black Soul Imperial, though it does have a bit of a mint note (still very affordable and lasts all day), Polo Red if you can handle cranberry, Yohji Homme, which is far better but is harder to find, Belle en Rykiel, which may be too feminine for some, but is a fuzzy and lovely insense cafe scent, and of course l'Eau du Navigateur, the ultimate coffee/leather scent, which is also a bit tough to find affordably. If you are not afraid of sporting white and yellow floral notes I might also recommend Popy Moreni.
    "Kimi o utau yo chiisana koto ga
    Ookina hikari ni natte ku you ni
    Kakinarashite wa kakinarashite wa inotteru." -Spitz,'Boku no Guitar'
    Currently wearing: Romeo Gigli by Romeo Gigli

Basenotes Junkie Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    A sales associate told me this a while ago, and I made a thread about it at that time. We know SA's give misleading information though to dry and get you to buy stuff. I emailed Ralph Lauren at the time and still got no reply. I see it available on websites, including Macy's which is a good sign of it still being in production. Though I don't always consider that reliable.

Maybe someone could try to reach out to them again?
    I'm confused too. If it's discontinued, there's definitely no shortage at the moment. It's everywhere.
    The only thing I've heard about them discontinuing is the Red Intense.

Bond # 9 Saks Fifth for Him. Pretty much spot on dead ringer. With 24 hour longevity. This is my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    The only thing I've heard about them discontinuing is the Red Intense.
    That was pretty good imo -- compared to Red anyway.

After the abomination that was Black -- I never bothered even testing Double B, might not get the chance now

Basenotes Junkie Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    That was pretty good imo -- compared to Red anyway.

After the abomination that was Black -- I never bothered even testing Double B, might not get the chance now
    Maybe I should try the Black and DB again. I recall not being very impressed with either.

And I agree, Red smells good but it's not for me. Red Intense is much better. So many Red flankers (Red, Red Rush, Red Extreme, Red Intense), I guess they decided to drop the Intense. I don't know if that's official or not, though.