Code of Conduct

Default Santa Maria Novella mini documentary

I was watching CBS Sunday Morning just now (any other addicts?). It was all about Italy with pretty deep dive into Florence, and they had this cool little feature on Santa Maria Novella:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/santa-m...dest-pharmacy/

I had no idea they were the first to use alcohol in perfume, or that they made apertif elixirs, or "aromatic vinegars". Informative little piece, focusing more on history than scent.

When/if you visit Florence, go! It's amazing, a perfume fan's Disneyland.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Santa Maria Novella mini documentary

Oh yes I've been to several of their boutiques here in the States. The one in LA is huge (Beverly Hills, actually) and had the most items/inventory I'd ever seen. The Miami location has those vinegars. They even have breath mints.

Thanks for posting LiveJazz!
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Diorella by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Oh yes I've been to several of their boutiques here in the States. The one in LA is huge (Beverly Hills, actually) and had the most items/inventory I'd ever seen. The Miami location has those vinegars. They even have breath mints.

I didn't realize they had locations in the states (never thought to check), so thanks for that! I probably walked right by the NYC location last time I was there and didn't realize it.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Appreciate the link.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks for the link, very interesting. The elixirs (sweet liquors) are probably the best thing they do. The style is quite common in Italy and alkermes (from copycats) is used a lot to make cakes.

I have never seen them in the US, I assume it's because they'd need a liquor license to sell them there. Plus the type of product doesn't really have a tradition in the US.

cacio

Thanks for the link. The Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella was one of the highlights of Florence for me. Just wonderful!
    Chypreish”:
    /ˈSHēpRAiSH/
    adjective
    (of a person or expression) to be desirous of an abundance of chypre.
    "Today, she was feeling chypreish”

Basenotes Plus

If you really want to go into a deep dive with Sebastian. Over 30min long.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: English Leather by Dana

LiveJazz, thank you for the link! That was a swell documentary. I’d love to get a taste of those wonderful old elixirs to go with a niiiiiiice bottle of Patchouli there.
    “You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    “Thrrrow yourselves into the river, dahlings!” ~Withnail and I (1987)

The elixirs are definitely an acquired taste.
    Shootout to the Carta d'armenia as well (benzoin infused paper)

cacio

They also have a boutique in London.

A friend went to Florance and I asked her to bring me some things from SMN, and for her, it was the strangest experience. Large showroom where you sample, then write down what you want to purchase, take to another room hand it over and pay, then move forward and receive your purchase. I asked for a fragrance, of course, soap and face cream. The weird thing was I got one bar of soap! LOL, Yes, they come in a boxed set of three which is what I thought I would get, no one bar. My friend had no idea why?
    DONNA

That does sound strange, donna255. I think that some SMN soaps are sold as individually wrapped singles and others are boxed, depending on the kind. Fragranced soaps should come in boxes of three, far as I know. I owned a box of three Violetta soaps years ago.
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

Basenotes Plus

One thing that surprised me by watching that longer video was that Santa Maria Novella has 24 stores in South Korea, and another 14 in Japan. Just 5 in the United States. Apparently, they appreciate quality naturals as a must for their fragrance and beauty products.

Also, until about 20-25 years ago, all of Santa Maria Novella products were made by hand, even the mixing, no machines. That's like something from centuries ago.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: English Leather by Dana

I've always seen SMN soaps sold individually. I assume one can ask for a box if one gets three, but I have never done that.

I think I had read that SMN had been bought, or at least had been invested in, by a South Korean billionnaire who likes the brand a lot. This would of course explain the diffusion in that country.

cacio

We've gone through a few boxes of the lavender soaps. They were all 3-packs, and I never paid attention to whether singles were available - I'm sure they are.

Interesting about the South Korean connection. I wonder if how/if that's impacted production techniques, particularly as it relates to higher export volumes.

Thanks for the additional videos as well!

Once, I bought a tube of their iris toothpaste.

I haven’t been to the Lafco boutique on Lafayette street in ages. I also found the South Korean connection interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Shemelimelle View Post
    Once, I bought a tube of their iris toothpaste.

I haven’t been to the Lafco boutique on Lafayette street in ages. I also found the South Korean connection interesting.
    Sounds...potentially interesting, like rose ice cream.

The toothpaste doesn't really smell of iris. Plus it's old style and doesn't have foaming agents. They also have mouthwashes, one spicy and one with myrrh, if I remember correctly.

Yes, definitely old school style. Doesn’t foam up. Tastes old, too! Hahahahahahahahahahahaha........