Code of Conduct

Default Anyone have personal experience with these materials?

I'm curious about the following materials, but I only know what TGSC has to say about them. Has anyone here worked with these before, and if so, what are your feelings about them?

• Methyl cinnamate (103-26-4): "sweet, balsamic, strawberry, cherry, cinnamyl".
    • Benzyl cinnamate (103-41-3): "sweet, balsamic, floral, fruity, cherry".
    • Cinnamyl acetate (103-54-8): "sweet, floral, spicy, balsamic, cinnamon".
    • Para-methoxy cinnamic aldehyde (1963-36-6): "spicy, cinnamon, sweet, cherry, floral, vanilla". No IFRA restriction, which I feel like is the first time I've seen any unrestricted cinnamaldehyde compound?
    • Cinnamyl cinnamate (122-69-0): "sweet, balsamic, floral, cassia, cinnamyl"

Default Re: Anyone have personal experience with these materials?

Cinnamon/uegonol can link woods to spices and herbs....
    Cinnamon/uegonol can link woods, spices and herbs to geranium/carnations/rose
    Cinnamon/uegonol can link woods, spices and herbs to ylang-ylang

It can be used in gourmand accords (with vanilla, fruits, herbs, sweet edible type perfumes etc)
    In florientals (mellis accord) think "Poison,"
    In men`s scents etc (geranium type slightly-floral/spicy aftershaves)

similar to Vanilla and pepper, I like to add Cinnamon/uegonol near the end of my work process...
    and just a tiny bit.
    Know your "why," and the how is there.

Sure, I've used cinnamon and eugenol plenty. I'm not asking about those in general, though. It's specifically the listed materials that I'm curious about.

I have everything except Cinnamyl cinnamate. Methyl cinnamate is my favorite is a bright chemical, it has a very little of cinnamon and it has good berry shades of cherry or slightly strawberry with good substantivity. Benzyl cinnamate is a very very quiet aroma there is just a very light pleasant balsamic without a pronounced cinnamon hue. Cinnamyl acetate in my opinion is also a very useful ingredient. It is not as bright and berry as Methyl Sinnamat but a nice cinnamon note with a slight tinge of wine and slightly as if with a touch of wet cardboard. I like Para-methoxy cinnamic aldehyde the least. (my disappointment! True I have not worked with him yet, but from the jar it doesn’t smell very expressively. To my nose this is a strong soap through which a slight hint of cinnamon and cherry is slightly visible and no vanilla.

Unlike Dmitriy I like para-Methoxycinnnamaldehyde most from the list. I used it for instance in a damson jam accord. On its own it smells somewhat cooked like a cherry pie to me. Also, even tiny amounts of it give a cherry nuance to the drydown. I wouldn't consider it soapy so there might be quite a variety in its perception. Occasionally, it fatigues my nose.

Basenotes Plus

Cinnamyl Cinnamate reminds me most of Cherry. (Even more than the Methyl) Except that TGSC doesn't really mention "Cherry" in it's description.

The thing is, it's fine for you to ask what people think of materials, but the real deal is for you to buy them, and make your own opinions...

You haven't actually asked a question of purpose. like: "Which of these fits this idea?".
    You've only asked what people think of them.

The real answer is that each is useful for their best purpose, and it is up to you to discover where it best fits, and employ it well.
    And no one can answer that for you, but you.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by xii View Post
    Unlike Dmitriy I like para-Methoxycinnnamaldehyde most from the list. I used it for instance in a damson jam accord. On its own it smells somewhat cooked like a cherry pie to me. Also, even tiny amounts of it give a cherry nuance to the drydown. I wouldn't consider it soapy so there might be quite a variety in its perception. Occasionally, it fatigues my nose.
    It is interesting! I need to look at it closely... Maybe I'm missing something)) So far for me there is a lot of turbidity in it. It something reminds me (on the quality of smell, not notes) to Absolute Acacia Farnesiana which is even more fatty- soapy and does not have bright notes for me. I guess I need to find for it own use!

Thanks for the great feedback, everyone! I really appreciate it.

Basenotes Junkie

I also appreciate the para methoxy cinnamaldehyde, in small doses, to give light sweet-fruity nuances ...