Code of Conduct

Default "The Mechanic" (1972) vintage fragrances

Besides being a fantastic film with Charles Bronson, the best action actor ever, there is a scene at 22:41 which shows a bathroom counter scene. I see Old Spice and English Leather. There are other fragrances, but I can't quite make them out, and I have the bluray version of the film. Perhaps others can identify them. Also, I saw a vintage '70's Japanese commercial with Bronson using a fragrance called Mandom which is still being produced in japan. I ordered it on Amazon a few days ago.
    thread reviver

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Default Re: "The Mechanic" (1972) vintage fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by sniffman View Post
    Besides being a fantastic film with Charles Bronson, the best action actor ever, there is a scene at 22:41 which shows a bathroom counter scene. I see Old Spice and English Leather. There are other fragrances, but I can't quite make them out, and I have the bluray version of the film. Perhaps others can identify them. Also, I saw a vintage '70's Japanese commercial with Bronson using a fragrance called Mandom which is still being produced in japan. I ordered it on Amazon a few days ago.
    Mandom is really quite a nice citrus chypre. Only an aftershave, but with good staying power.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Lord Molyneux by Molyneux

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Only an aftershave, but with good staying power.
    There was never a "cologne" version of this?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    There was never a "cologne" version of this?
    There was an eau de cologne that has been long gone. The stuff never really took off in the US despite Charles Bronson pushing it, but the aftershave remains wildly popular even after Bronson's death in Japan where it is was originally made and still is produced today.

Imagine something between Arden for Men Sandalwood (1957) and Monsieur de Givenchy (1959) but with a touch of grapefruit. It's remarkably good for $15 and despite the name "MANDOM", it's not very macho. Instead, I get a classy buttoned up feel from it. Not musky or animalic, not full of hip-thrusting like the commercial implies. I don't know if you shave, but if you do, give it a spin. Ships from Japan right through Amazon.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Lord Molyneux by Molyneux