• We're half back! There's a lot missing, but you can find out more here,

You are now able to log into the forums and post

Luxardo cherries?

El_Guapo

Dec 23, 2011
I recently blind bought a bottle of Guerlain L’Homme Ideal Eau de Parfum after coming across several reviews noting a cherry accord despite it not being one of the listed notes.

Additionally, reviews have meandered and mentioned my all time favorite, YSL M7. I have several bottles of the vintage; it was the first fragrance that took me beyond just someone who wore “cologne” to someone who sought out fragrances that appealed to me with a greater appreciation of their subtle (or not so subtle) notes.

With L’HEdP, I absolutely love the cherry accord and can see some of the reference to M7. There just aren’t that many cherry fragrances out there... these both have wood and amber bases. They are very different otherwise, with M7 being more medicinal and challenging and L’HEdP being more inviting and forgiving. I recently have taken to combining it with All Saints Incense city which is an arid and transparent incense with a sandalwood and amber base. It brings it closer to a lighter more versatile M7, however without the heart and fire of the classic.

This brings me to my more recent musing... Luxardo maraschino cherries. If you haven’t had them go out to a bar and ask for one (small bottle is $20). Unlike the neon red American maraschino variety Luxardos are a rich deep purple, almost black. Rather than a thin artificial red watery syrup, they sit in a thick almost resinous purple-black syrup. They almost look like oil cured olives.

Their flavor is rich and sublime, an amazing addition to complex brown and amber cocktails where a “Shirley Temple cherry” would just subtract from the drink. It’s flavor is so concentrated, deep and dark... it’s hard to imagine this wasn’t fermented or somehow concentrated in some way beyond the use of simple sugar. The only way I have been able to describe it to friends is if you have had a really good dark chocolate that almost has a fruit note to it... that dark fruit note is the flavor of Luxardo cherries.

Also, if you have never had it their Liqueur is another level:

“Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur is a clear cherry liqueur made from Sour Marasca cherries which are cultivated exclusively by the Luxardo family in the orchards of the Euganean Hills in Veneto. The cherries including the stones, branches and leaves are placed in larchwood vats for two years to infuse with neutral alcohol. Then the infusion including the solids is distilled and the heart of the cherry distillate is aged in large Finnish ash wood vats for a 12-18 months. “

That description from the liqueur made me wonder if there were any cherry fragrances so rich, complicated and challenging.? Luxardo cherry, cherry wood branches, herbal leaves, age and ash wood.

yuncherrypops

Sep 7, 2018
It doesn't exactly smell like your description, but try Qom Chilom by Stephane Humbert Lucas 777. It's an incredible and unique fragrance, albeit pricey. Mancera has one called Wild Cherries that might worth investigating, haven't smelt it myself. And of course there's Lost Cherry, but that's more like a cherry and amaretto flow.

wilfred

Jan 13, 2016
if anyone did a rich, woody cherry scent that captured what is great about the really dark, dank cherries it would be magic! :thumbsup:

CookBot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I wish I had a perfume to suggest, but you sure as hell made me want to try a Luxardo cherry and their liqueur. Shopping in 3, 2, 1....

Uh-oh.

fullsizeoutput_5988_large.jpeg

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
I wish I had a perfume to suggest, but you sure as hell made me want to try a Luxardo cherry and their liqueur. Shopping in 3, 2, 1....

Uh-oh.

fullsizeoutput_5988_large.jpeg

This is the one you want to get, not the flavored gin :smiley:

luxardo_maraschino_originale.png

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Among the more affordable options, perhaps also Bogart pour Homme and CK Crave could be worth (re) testing if looking for this particular note, though technically both cover more of a cherry pipe tobacco and/or cherry (vanilla) cola note, that might still marginally resemble this particular fragrance requirement

jabar

Apr 24, 2011
This is the one you want to get, not the flavored gin :smiley:

luxardo_maraschino_originale.png
This is what I have in my bar at home.

While cherry in origin, it has more green herbal qualities that make it less cherry-syrupy-sweet. But it is a sweet cordial...

hednic

Oct 25, 2007

While cherry in origin, it has more green herbal qualities that make it less cherry-syrupy-sweet. But it is a sweet cordial...
It's a good one, right? :thumbsup:

CookBot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
This is the one you want to get, not the flavored gin

Gee, now I think I want them both -- the gin AND the liqueur!

Plus a jar of the cherries.

Oviatt

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 30, 2007
luxardo Cherry.png

I found this at Eataly and love it....

Attachments

• luxardo Cherry.png
    luxardo Cherry.png
    3 KB · Views: 24

Oviatt

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 30, 2007
Not sure but great in cocktails--I threw it in a Manhattan just to see if it would stick. And it did, Carpano Anitico helped, of course.