Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Favorite from your collection?

Pfffbbb... im gonna say something like Sauvage or ADG. Needs to have massive versatility, as said 100 to -30 here too.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Basenotes Plus

Vintage L'heure Bleue, or Shem El Nessim, they're not the most versatile of frags but nothing creates a feeling in me like these do.
    Currently wearing: Jardin d'Amalfi by Creed

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    Out of the fragrances that you already own, which is your favorite?
    If you had to choose just one to keep for life, which would you choose and why?
    This is super hard. If we went by wears, my good old modest but indescribably delicious vintage Avon Black Suede (1980) does it for me. It has an IBQ leather note, the best shining example of Avon amber done right, spices, smoothness, warmth, comfort, and lasts forever.

If I began picking runners up:

Azzaro Pour Homme (1978): The fougère I'd wear to my dying day. A painful exercise in precision and balance within the category. It's almost never not appropriate.

Eau Sauvage (1966): The best freshie in the business period. A moratorium on the genre could have been placed here and aquatics never invented. It's that good.

Moustache by Rochas in Concentrée form (1949): You wanna smell like limes and cat pee? I know I do! Don't look for an explanation. None is offered. Let me stink in peace.

Kouros by YSL (1981): Smells like a man. Literally. Need I say more? Yes I'm gay. See previous entry about letting me stink and be grateful it isn't oud.

Paradigm by Avon (2002): Imagine Cabochard and Boucheron Pour Homme in a blender with more herbs, now imagine 22-year-old me not knowing about either of those and thinking this was the most amazing thing he's smelled for $20 (in 2002).

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein (1989): I don't wear this like I used to or it would have 100 recorded wears by now, but this was my go-to dumb reach for interviews, dates, nights out, or anything where I needed crowd pleasing, and despite all the Y's and Aventuses, still works.

Is it funny that no niche, haute luxe, or particularly rare vintages made this list? It's not 100% by design because I could easily stick Ho Hang or original tin can Rive Gauche on here too, but they're just "specific mood" fragrances for me!
    Last edited by Zealot Crusader; 23rd May 2019 at 04:57 AM.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: 1881 pour Homme by Cerruti

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Is that a vintage bottle of MR?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

My rare tester bottle of Creed Vintage Tabarome

For wearability I'd opt for either Chanel Egoiste or Creed Green Irish Tweed.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

wearing dad's aftershave™

Well,

Antaeus is my honest gut answer. And it has my most wears and is among my deepest in quantity.

If I could only wear one every day I'd probably go with Heritage edt, since I see it as more versatile and less polarizing, but that's a different question.

/Acey

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by flmmkrz View Post
    Vintage L'heure Bleue, or Shem El Nessim, they're not the most versatile of frags but nothing creates a feeling in me like these do.
    The Grossmith one is truly gorgeous. I wish I could find a bottle that didn't cost a fortune.

Right now my favorite is Vero's ROZY extrait.

Missing Oakmoss

Vintage L'Heure Bleue (extrait and PDT), because I love everything about them and those bottles are my very own, bought nearly 50 years ago. The same applies to my Zibeline Secret of Venus Huil de Bain, but you said I could only pick one.

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    The Grossmith one is truly gorgeous. I wish I could find a bottle that didn't cost a fortune.
    hello would this be the eau de parfum or parfum?
    Anas b. Malik reported that Allah's Apostle (ﷺ) used to come to our house and there was perspiration upon his body. My mother brought a bottle and began to pour the sweat in that. When Allah's Apostle (ﷺ) got up he said:

Umm Sulaim, what is this that you are doing? Thereupon she said: That is your sweat which we mix in our perfume and it becomes the most fragrant perfume.

Rive Gauche does it for me every time.

Basenotes Member

Lush's The Smell of Freedom, definitely. Like the others, it's a scent that comes with some amazing memories, is surprisingly complex but easily wearable.

Ironically - it was when Lush discontinued this fragrance (and after I stopped wailing) that I joined this board looking for a replacement. Never mind, I've bought 4 bottles all filling different niches that I didn't know I had and still haven't found the replacement I was looking for!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by abu abdullaah View Post
    hello would this be the eau de parfum or parfum?
    I didn't know until today that they had produced a pure parfum, but I now see a bottle on Ebay (10 mls for $230 - yikes!).

Habit Rouge edp.
    One of the first fragances I bought on my journey, and no matter how many samples I tried or bottles I bought (comparing to others here, not that many though), every time I wear HB edp again, I'm more convinced this is just the one for me. Masterpiece from start to finish.

guerlain-habit-rouge-eau-de-parfum-voor-mannen-100-ml___20.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    Great choice. I just picked up a bottle and can't stop wearing it. Wore it five days in row...
    Yeah, every time I put on Héritage EDT I come away wondering why I don't wear it every day.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFrank75 View Post
    Attachment 102907

I wouldn't wear this in mid-summer, or maybe I would. This is my current favorite fragrance in my collection.
    I'm desperate to try Mystery Tobacco.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap List

Current Favorites
    Aramis Havana, Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Basenotes Plus

As of right now - Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan followed closely by Coromandel.

As hot weather has begun and I'm not used to 90+ degree days in America, I found out Coromandel does not mesh well when I sweat, but it's perfect for colder weather.

However I find myself reaching for Myrrhe Églantine and Eau des Merveilles Bleue quite often...

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Eau Sauvage (1966): The best freshie in the business period. A moratorium on the genre could have been placed here and aquatics never invented. It's that good.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap List

Current Favorites
    Aramis Havana, Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Basenotes Plus

Overall it's TF Tobacco Oud Intense but for wearability I'd probably go with Viking. But then I wouldn't have Jeke! Ahhhh!

Btw, Sisyphus has it dialed with HR EdP; it's gets different but certainly not better in my book...
    Currently wearing: Imitation Man by Amouage

What's your favorite and what's your "desert island" option are two entirely different questions.

As I mentioned before, it's impossible to have a single favorite for the simple reason that, to quote Lou Reed, "there's so many favorites to choose from."

But the one I'd grab forsaking all others, assuming I have no choice, is Baldessarini. There is no backup option.

Quote Originally Posted by ascotnot View Post
    assuming I have no choice, is Baldessarini. There is no backup option.
    would that be 'baldessarini' by baldessarini or another one by them?
    Anas b. Malik reported that Allah's Apostle (ﷺ) used to come to our house and there was perspiration upon his body. My mother brought a bottle and began to pour the sweat in that. When Allah's Apostle (ﷺ) got up he said:

Umm Sulaim, what is this that you are doing? Thereupon she said: That is your sweat which we mix in our perfume and it becomes the most fragrant perfume.

Dior Vetiver.

Patou pour Homme (vintage)

Smells great, feels great. Warm, elegant, off-dry, c
    omfortable but never slack, always present but never loud. Ingredients and blending as good as any niche. A paragon of all things c
    omplex, deep, woodsy, herbal with masterfully blended spices. For me, one of the few that matters.
    Last edited by pluran; 7th June 2019 at 04:45 AM.

Dependent

Vintage Shalimar parfum. I love every single moment of its development on my skin.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: Omnia Coral by Bulgari

Last edited by pluran; 5th June 2019 at 03:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestbrummie View Post
    Dior Homme Parfum. I would wear it a lot more often if it wasn't apparently discontinued in the UK.
    http://www.allbeauty.com/gb/en/11158...ral-spray-75ml

There you go, in stock. Have ordered lots from that side and I'm in the UK.

Congratulations on your vintage Shalimar parfum, tdem1961!
    Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    Vintage Shalimar parfum. I love every single moment of its development on my skin.
    “You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    “Thrrrow yourselves into the river, dahlings!” ~Withnail and I (1987)

At this particular time, I would probably pick Alien. This is a real shock to me because I have disliked it for 14 years and suddenly lovng it is hard to fathom.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

Basenotes Junkie

Great posts everyone! Thank you all for sharing. I'd say that my current favorite out of my limited collection (bottles only) is Terre d'Hermes. It is so versatile and smells very pleasant. Keep sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    I can say the same about vintage Vol de Nuit perfume extract. It's magical stuff.

If I absolutely had to choose one something from my rather small wardrobe, I guess it should be Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune by Guerlain with a close runner up of Narciso Rodriguez For Her (if it was winter here, maybe For Her would win).
    It's actually quite a difficult choice, because there are more scents I wouldn't want to part with, but 'the only one' should fulfill 3 roles: 1) it should be absolutely versatile, equally or almost equally fitting for work, leasure time and evenings out, 2) I should feel okay wearing it everyday and not tire of it and 3) it should be love, not just a like.
    From my small(ish) wardrobe, there are 6 scents I consider that versatile (Pamplelune, For Her, Contradiction, and three of my mini's: Jaipur Bracelet, Terre de Lumiere and Terre de Lumiere L'eau) and two of them are clearly loves, not just strong likes (Pamplelune and For Her).
    For Her is the more versatile from these two, as Pamplelune leans more casual and summery, is more vivacious and quirky than sensual, and its sourness might prove to be not everyone's cup of tea; and For Her is just both subtle, elegant and sensual enough for any occasion, but never too much of any of these things. Yet I have noticed that when I wear it too often, I get either tired of it or I stop smelling parts of it and therefore I need some time off to enjoy it again. I don't think there was a day when I thought I wouldn't want to wear Pamplelune - there are times of course when some other scent is calling me louder or feels more fitting the situation, but it always feels fitting me as a person and uplifting my mood with its sour quirky juiciness.

Trying to answer this question proved to be an interesting experiment to me, because it not only showed me where my true preferences lie, but also showed me that there are bottles on my wishlist that seem more fitting for this task than most scents on my actual wardrobe. I don't get rid of gifts even if I don't love them and it's easier for me to buy several minis or something heavily discounted that seems 'interesting' or 'nice' than to commit to a pricier bigger bottle of a scent I would love – and it seems like this route is not the right one in the end. Some food for thought and there's still time to course correct myself!

Uhhhh, I got a little wordy here.
    TL;DR: Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune, for now, with Narciso Rodriguez For Her as a runner up. It might change in the future.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    Narciso Rodriguez For Her as a runner up.
    I like this one. My girlfriend has it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast