Code of Conduct

Default Camphor note in Creed viking

I was looking to create something similar to creed viking. The camphor note in Viking is apparent to my nose even after an hour on skin contact. Can anyone help with naming a long lasting camphor note that's a middle or base note? Thank you

Default Re: Camphor note in Creed viking

Some options:

1. black pepper & frankincense (spicy)
    2. lavender & patchouly (earthy)
    3. rosemary & cistus (agrestic)

Coniferan, Prismantol, sandalwood (Australian) and derivatives of eugenol might help fix the camphoraceous notes. Eucalyptol and menthol might help lift them.

Thank you for your quick response. With regards to using patchouli and lavender I'm guessing I could use patcholoul, but using aromachemicals what could I use for a long lasting lavender note?

Quote Originally Posted by amateurperfumer View Post
    Thank you for your quick response. With regards to using patchouli and lavender I'm guessing I could use patcholoul, but using aromachemicals what could I use for a long lasting lavender note?
    I don't know long lasting lavender materials. Lavender absolute is worth trying though. You might need some careful blending. Patchouly and musk (Habanolide perhaps) could give good base to an accord suggesting lavender in the late drydown. Mint and/or eucalyptus and/or camphor or some such, though lasting no longer than lavender are needed to add nuance. They allow, for instance, to smuggle powerful and long lasting green materials into the blend without altering its character. Also, you want extra linalool and linalyl acetate in the citrus top if you plan to have one and some vetiver in tha base. All that you can stitch to some woody amber (diluted Ambrocenide for example) using dihydromyrcenol which together with patchouly extends camphoraceous aspects of other materials.

Quote Originally Posted by amateurperfumer View Post
    I personally like to pair naturals with synthetics of the same note so they can support each other. The naturals make they synthetics less one sided and the synthetics can clean up and or boost the performance of the naturals. Some examples would be Lime Oil with a little Dihydro Myrcenol, Patchouli with Clearwood, Lavender EO w/ Ethyl Linalool (nicer and softer than regular linalool in my opinion), Oakmoss and Evernyl, Black Pepper with Beta Carophyllene, Turpentine Oil with Isobornyl Acetate, etc...I make music and I think of that being similar to the effect you get when add acoustic instruments to digital production, when done well the two kind of fill in each other's gaps and use the whole frequency spectrum. You might try a mix of 50/50 Patchouli and Clearwood and a mix of half lavender and half ethyl linalool (probably diluted to 10% in DPG), then mix those as needed, probably going a little heavier on the Patchouli mix than the Lavender blend....For your original question, and mind you I've only smelled Viking once and thought it was a less interesting version of Aventus with more common notes than different, I would try adding a little Isobornyl Acetate for a camphoric note and maybe some spice from Beta Carophyllene. If it was me I would start with squeezing 1% of each into my formula. I personally make samples three grams at a time since the average drop is 0.02g-0.03g, that way 1%= about one drop. Good luck!

Thank you fr both of your responses.

I have used habanolide and patcholoul with molecular distilled patchouli. I also think adding traces of aldehyde C11 undecylenic would give that sparkle and sharpness suggesting camphor. I may try to add a tiny amount of geosmin to see how that works with it.

I don't think viking is a particularly genius composition but I'm trying to reverse engineer perfumes to learn how to make different ones from scratch. I personally try to use synthetics as much as possible but will resort to naturals where the effect or smell cant be replicated and where the cost is reasonable for example labdanum, oakmoss or some spices such as cardamom and black pepper