Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Wearing to cover up bad odour?

Hi,

I sweat quite a bit but it’s comfortable for using high aluminium products to control the sweating however I still feel like I smell sometimes. Has anyone used an unscented antiperspirant and topped it up with deodorant that smells nice? I can’t stand the smells antiperspirant and deodorant combination products make, such as the Dove extra fresh.

So my question is; can I wear an unscented antiperspirant such as Driclor (apply at night, wash it off in the morning) and top it up with for example Hugo Boss Bottled deodorant?

Using combination products (such as the Dove antiperspirant and deodorant products) means I can’t really wear cologne as it mixes with the smell of deodorant which smells horrible. Obviously this way I can use the relevant cologne if I want, for example Hugo Boss bottled deodorant and cologne.

Sorry if this is the wrong section.

Thanks for any help, I really do struggle with body odour so any help would be appreciated.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Wearing to cover up bad odour?

My recommendation is to use only antiperspirant day and night, but add a cologne or EDT elsewhere on your skin, or on clothing if your skin chemistry is hurting fragrances. This way you don't diminish the effectiveness of either product. Most deodorant products, especially fancy ones, are not very good antiperspirants.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    My recommendation is to use only antiperspirant day and night, but add a cologne or EDT elsewhere on your skin, or on clothing if your skin chemistry is hurting fragrances. This way you don't diminish the effectiveness of either product. Most deodorant products, especially fancy ones, are not very good antiperspirants.
    So wearing antiperspirant and deodorant at the same time isn’t recommended? Can I ask why you say this?

I’ve heard you shouldn’t apply cologne to your clothes as it doesn’t really “stay”. Is this the case or a myth? Also, do you recommend any colognes that last long and doesn’t have a huge radius as I’ll be using it for work (uniformed services).

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Gurses View Post
    So wearing antiperspirant and deodorant at the same time isn’t recommended? Can I ask why you say this?

I’ve heard you shouldn’t apply cologne to your clothes as it doesn’t really “stay”. Is this the case or a myth? Also, do you recommend any colognes that last long and doesn’t have a huge radius as I’ll be using it for work (uniformed services).

Thanks, I appreciate the help.
    I think the advice given is that you dilute the antiperspirant properties by adding something, for example a body spray/deodorant, directly on top of it.
    You might want to look into fragrance oils or similar. They can sit quite close to the skin. Or, go very easy on the sprays under your shirt - this will also help reduce the scent radius.
    Also, applying colognes to clothes can cause them to 'stay' longer. Clothes don't have the same absorbent properties as skin, nor are as warm typically, so scents tend to last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Benz3ne View Post
    I think the advice given is that you dilute the antiperspirant properties by adding something, for example a body spray/deodorant, directly on top of it.
    You might want to look into fragrance oils or similar. They can sit quite close to the skin. Or, go very easy on the sprays under your shirt - this will also help reduce the scent radius.
    Also, applying colognes to clothes can cause them to 'stay' longer. Clothes don't have the same absorbent properties as skin, nor are as warm typically, so scents tend to last longer.
    That makes sense. I’m assuming many people on here use unscented antiperspirant, if that’s the case with yourself is there any you can recommend?

I was also thinking about getting the Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gio as if I remember correctly it lasts a decent time but doesn’t have a big radius. Any tips/advice on that?

Again, I really appreciate the help.

Thanks

Basenotes Junkie

I think you should find a good antiperspirant instead.
    Recently I discovered Swedish pharmacy product called Absolut Torr (Absolutely Dry), this thing is magic! Keeps me dry for 7 days! Even when I go to gym. I have no idea how could I leave without it. Try to find something similar to that.
    Alternatively I can recommend you this antiperspirant https://www.amazon.com/Recipe-Men-An.../dp/B003UU8E5K it's scented, but doesn't project. Also I still sweat with it, but I don't smell. And it doesn't stain my clothes

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Gurses View Post
    That makes sense. I’m assuming many people on here use unscented antiperspirant, if that’s the case with yourself is there any you can recommend?

I was also thinking about getting the Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gio as if I remember correctly it lasts a decent time but doesn’t have a big radius. Any tips/advice on that?

Again, I really appreciate the help.

Thanks
    I believe mine is actually scented, but I don't notice it. I tend towards the Mitchums roll-ons. They're very good at keeping me dry, which is ultimately what I want. I've recently changed from the stick to the roll on as it was making my armpit hair tacky and sticky, especially when wet (though that's a testament to the waterproofness of it).

I would say your best bet is to try and find a shop nearby which sells it and try a squirt on the back of your hand. You'd get a good feel for how much it projects (how far it reaches). Although I've not tried it in a long while, I recall Acqua di Gio projecting fairly strongly.

Very welcome.

Thanks for both replies.

I’ve been meaning to try Sweatblock and/or Certain Dri Prescription Strength Clinical Antiperspirant. Anyone have any experience with those?

I find that a Alum Block used for shaving makes a excellent underarm antiperspirant and it's totally scentless so you can wear a fragrance as well.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Top Five

1. Aurum d Angkhor By Sultan Pasha
    2. Fougere Noire By Sultan Pasha
    3. L' Heure d' Or By Sultan Pasha
    4. Encens Chypre By Sultan Pasha
    5. Equilibre By Sultan Pasha

User of Toilet Water

As I understand it, antiperspirant takes time to work, so should be applied at night. By morning, it's doing its job and can't be washed off or diluted. It's already "in the system." So, you could add a scented deodorant at that time. I occasionally do this as I have a few deodorants that match some of my fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post
    As I understand it, antiperspirant takes time to work, so should be applied at night. By morning, it's doing its job and can't be washed off or diluted. It's already "in the system." So, you could add a scented deodorant at that time. I occasionally do this as I have a few deodorants that match some of my fragrances.
    I use my Dove on at night, however I don’t shower in the morning as I shower every night before bed. As soon as I wake up I can smell the Dove, it’s as if I’ve been running while sleeping or something. I’m planning on trying the female odour control Mitchum to see if it helps.

Basenotes Junkie Danny Mitchell's Avatar

At least for me, Dove products don't do the job. Perhaps that's the problem. I bought a stick of Dove antiperspirant and it only lasted a few hours. I enjoy their variety of scents, and they smell good, but they don't last, on me, at all.

I use Mitchum unscented invisible stick once a day in the mornings, after showering, and that’s it. It’s Summertime now. Unless you’re stuck inside an air-conditioned building, I don’t see how anybody can stay clean. You’ll find you’ll need to shower twice, if you’re out all day, and for the shower before bed, I would pass on using any anti-perspirant / deodorant at all. Fragrance is fine though.
    “You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    “Thrrrow yourselves into the river, dahlings!” ~Withnail and I (1987)

Quote Originally Posted by Shemelimelle View Post
    I use Mitchum unscented invisible stick once a day in the mornings, after showering, and that’s it. It’s Summertime now. Unless you’re stuck inside an air-conditioned building, I don’t see how anybody can stay clean. You’ll find you’ll need to shower twice, if you’re out all day, and for the shower before bed, I would pass on using any anti-perspirant / deodorant at all. Fragrance is fine though.
    Why would I not use antiperspirant because I shower in the evenings?

Mitchum is pretty strong. The advertisement rings true, at least for me. “So strong, you can skip a day.” Apply once in the mornings and you should be fine.
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    This is sound advice.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Aluminum products make my underarms itch like crazy and I break out, so I have to avoid them. I used Native deodorant after hearing a co-worker rave about it. I'm shocked how well it works, that's just my opinion only. They used to be mail order only but now you can find them at Target. They are pricey and probably the most expensive one in the bunch.

As for the smell, I had that too. No matter how much I used soap, there was always that lingering smell. Native kicked that to the curb, but here are some other things I found that worked:

- Right after showering apply some anti-bacterial gel like Purell and let dry. Don't do this one often as the ingredients aren't good long term, but it can help until you find a balance with other things.

- Try Dial Anti-bacterial soap. I had to buy this to use before surgery and a few days after surgery and I noticed it stopped the body odor. Since the armpit and feet smell is bacterial....anti-bacterial helps.

- Wash your pits at NIGHT and put some deodorant on before bed. Most of the smell is from your sweat during the night and it's harder to get rid of, you can nip it in the bud by preventing it at night.

- Do an oil cleansing of your pits. For this you need a facial oil cleanser, which is more commonly found in Korean/Asian shops, but the new Ponds Cleansing Balm will work in a pinch. Apply a good amount and rub it on. Allow it to sit for about 5-ish minutes and then add a bit of water and rub it around, the balm will emulsify and help clean out your pores. Best to do this before a shower.

- Use a BHA/AHA in the evening after washing. You can use a red Stridex pad as the BHA and apply after a shower or washing the armpit area. You can even do a clay mask on your armpits every two weeks too....just please stay away from the Aztec mask. I know it's cheap and tempting, but it's really way to harsh.

- I heard rubbing some vodka helps too, but some might complain is a waste of vodka.

Basenotes Plus

Or you could just roll with the stink, and get your friends to join in too:

Basenotes Plus

Bacteria is what causes the smell. We all have different situations that are hospitable to different germs. Bar soap, not body wash. You may need a flora reset in your underarms. Buzz out your pit hair, or cut it short. Bacteria get trapped in there. After your shower just rub a bunch of hand sanitizer in there and let it dry completely. Antiperperant with at least 17 percent alum. Get it done.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Dunhill Pursuit by Dunhill

Rub hand sanitiser under my armpits? I’ve never heard of that!

Ive heard apple cider vinegar helps with odour. How do I use it? Can I use it before I shower? The only concern is that apple cider vinegar absolutely reeks, It wouldn’t smell like that under my pits will it?

I appreciate all the help.
    Last edited by Gurses; 24th May 2019 at 07:14 AM.

Fret not. Embrace the BO lol. Just find some vintage French fragrances with a bit of skank in them to layer over the BO like how they used to do back in the old days.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

That sorta makes sense, Diamondflame. No skankydo for me. Pass.

Basenotes Junkie Danny Mitchell's Avatar

You might want to see a doctor if you haven't' already. Sounds pretty serious and out of control. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing the over the counter stuff isn't working.
    Maybe it also has something to do with diet? The food you're eating? Your environment?

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    Buzz out your pit hair, or cut it short. Bacteria get trapped in there.
    This! Hair is porous and retains bacteria and both good and bad scents. Also, if you shave it or give it a buzz cut, it'll make applying roll-on antiperspirant / deodorant much more pleasant.

Dependent

You stinky and only shower at night, in your case I'll be showering 3 times a day, and most definitely in the morning, as you will probably sweat at night while sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    You stinky and only shower at night, in your case I'll be showering 3 times a day, and most definitely in the morning, as you will probably sweat at night while sleeping.
    Due to my line of work I can’t shower three times a day. I’ve also tried to shower in the morning however it doesn’t help. It doesn’t effect my work or confidence so much but I’m a very clean person so smelling isn’t the nicest of feelings.

Diet, medication, natural ph and genetics among other things affect odour. Covering it up is the worst thing to do. There was one kid at school that would always use deodorant after PE without showering. Few things have smelled worse.

Diet is a big one - get that right and you’re half way there.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post

Diet is a big one - get that right and you’re half way there.
    This is correct as well, curry and garlic should be banned from your diet.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Experiment. Try layering an unscented antiperspirant like Mitchum with a designer deodorant on top and see if the cologne smell is degraded or made worse. I so, just use the cologne on a different place.

Colognes sprayed on clothing last longer but they evolve differently from spraying on skin. It doesn't burn off the topnotes and middle as fast, but you never really smell the basenotes like you do on skin. However, the big difference is that on clothing, there is no bacterial or human enzymatic degradation, or much slower if there is some (old worn clothes).
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    This is correct as well, curry and garlic should be banned from your diet.
    Yes and yes for sure and onions. In fact anything from the allium genus should probably be strategically used / not used if you have a disposition for bad odour - mainly due to the sulphur compounds.

Avoiding junk food and getting in more fruit and vegetables is another way of improving your natural odour.

I think many factors are overlooked that could vastly improve peoples natural odours aside from the usual AP and deodorant options.