Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Junkie Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Cool Men Wearing Jewelry

I haven't done this in about 5 years, but I use to wear a couple necklaces, a few rings, and a bracelet or two. I no longer do it mostly because it's just one more thing to have to do while getting dressed and I no longer wish to have to worry about that anymore.

I have a leather cross necklace and a Saint Christopher necklace that I wore every day. Occasionally I would wear a pucca shell necklace. A ring with crosses on it and on the other hand, a ring with an Irish celtic logo. And I had several rubber bracelets from all the different cancer research foundations and whatnot. And I use to have a brown leather bracelet that I wore all the time, as well. But those days are behind me.

Anyone else?
    Currently wearing: Allure Homme by Chanel

Default Re: Men Wearing Jewelry

A watch and wedding ring is as far as I'll go.

I know guys who can pull off wearing considerably more, but I'm not one of them.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap List

Current Favorites
    Aramis Havana, Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    A watch and wedding ring is as far as I'll go.

I know guys who can pull off wearing considerably more, but I'm not one of them.
    Oh, and I forgot the watch. I use to always wear a watch as well.

A watch, almost every day. Very rarely I forget and leave the house without one. Add to that maybe one ring, usually worn on the opposite hand from the watch, to balance things out.

These days watch is my only jewelry I wear.
    Very rarely I might wear leather bracelet that matches one of my watches

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

A watch, a wedding ring, a ring on the other hand and a necklace is my configuration.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

.................................... Penn's old stomping grounds

My husband wears a watch for work. Nothing else is really "permitted" because of safety issues. Before his current job he'd wear a necklace or two and a bracelet. I kind of miss him wearing jewelry. It added "something". He will wear his wedding ring when we are out and about on his days off, but that's it. He got out of the habit of jewelry-wearing. Oh, and He used to wear earrings, too. It's been so long now, the holes have grown shut!

Dependent

My carbon fiber Audemars Piguet watch and a white gold wedding ring is enough jewelry for me.
    Currently wearing: Private Label by Jovoy

I wear no jewelry on most days but wear 1 piece of jewelry on some occasions. It can either be a ring, a chain, a bracelet, a pair of cufflinks or a watch.

Basenotes Junkie

I always wear my ring and a watch.

I also depending on occasion will wear a stainless steel chain necklace or my gunmetal bracelet or an anklet. I usually wear the anklet when im wearing shorts or capri pants.
    Creed Original Santal
    Currently wearing: Original Santal by Creed

Men can look pretty good in jewelry. Around here you don’t see a lot of jewelry wearing by men but every once in a while you see a guy who does sport jewelry and I enjoy musing on the personal expression it represents and the care that went into its selection. But I do notice jewelry, in general, as an art form of never-ending variety that an individual can enjoy at any financial level.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

I still have an earring. Forgot about that one. Had it since college, a silver hoop in my left lobe.

Nothing wrong with a bit of jewellery as long as it's not too ostentatious in my opinion. Dutch firm Buddha to Buddha have some nice bracelets. The only jewellery I think doesn't quite look right are ear studs or earrings on a man, but that's purely my personal preference.

If I had time or energy to put into it, I would wear a necklace and maybe a ring or bracelet, but I work and stay home for the most part. I'm a full time dad so I don't make it a priority to overdress or accessorize anymore. In my younger days, or if I had more free time, for sure.

Basenotes Junkie

A watch is enough for me, but if you can pull off a lot of jewelry, good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    A watch is enough for me, but if you can pull off a lot of jewelry, good for you.
    I think most men can pull off a single piece (ring, necklace, etc.) in addition to a watch. Beyond that, it takes a certain type, of which I am not.

In my younger wild-haired days, a silver earring, rings and leather /metal bracelets. Never got into necklaces or chains though; other than someone’s loving arms I hate having something around my neck though I seem to tolerate neck/bowties better than I had expected. These days, usually a watch a wedding ring and maybe a signet. But at work, strictly no blings.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Have never owned male jewelry so far and did not wear any either, perhaps aside from cuff links (and have never worn any of these either, remaining mostly unused 99% if not 100% of the time) and tie pins/even ascot scarf pins. But even these were worn slightly more often yet not much more frequently.

Meanwhile, have nowadays reached a certain mindset, mood, situation that pretty much managed to persuade me that the lack of any more visible, more flashy, more identifiable male jewelry can mostly if not even entirely compensated and replaced by a fragrance and/or a watch.
    In most, if not even all of the cases.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 26th May 2019 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Punctuation, spacing, partly adding and/or deleting certain sections, words etc.

Basenotes Plus

I've been seeing a surprising number of young men in my area wearing these stretched-out lobe earrings, sometimes of alarmingly larger size than this photo. Can't say I find it at all attractive, and just imagine what that earlobe looks like when the ring is removed.

I really dislike those earlobe-stretcher things too. I wear a necklace, a couple of rings and my earrings every day. If I’m dressing up to go out I add a watch and a bracelet.

My husband wears just his wedding ring every day, when he’s dressing up he’ll sometimes wear a watch, necklace or bracelet.

It's funny; I've never considered a watch to be jewellery. Seems to me it's just a necessity, although now that we're all wielding smartphones I might start to reconsider. Like anything in the personal statement department I think if it makes you happy, get busy with it! (Although IMO Johnny Depp needs to subtract a few pounds of necklaces/bracelets/earrings/scarves...he's trying way too hard)

I have a small watch collection, mostly affordable automatics so I'll almost always have a compatible watch on. A diamond stud now and then.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Aitchellsmell View Post
    Although IMO Johnny Depp needs to subtract a few pounds of necklaces/bracelets/earrings/scarves...he's trying way too hard
    Agreed. It looks ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    Agreed. It looks ridiculous.
    Indeed! Soon Depp will be unrecognizable.
    I just wear my wedding ring and a watch on right wrist (left handed). A nice balance for me.

Basenotes Plus

Fun read. I used to be a accessory guy. Bracelets on both wrists, watch, 2-4 necklaces, earings, eyebrow ring, long hair. Lol. Now I'm old. Watch, wedding ring. Maybe a rubber awareness bracelet. And that is only if my kids let me. Wedding ring is the only one that is for sure.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: XJ 1861 Naxos by Xerjoff

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    Fun read. I used to be a accessory guy. Bracelets on both wrists, watch, 2-4 necklaces, earings, eyebrow ring, long hair. Lol.
    I must have missed this phase. Seems like a lot of people here went through it.

I always wear a watch. My mom gave me a white gold chain with a cross pendant for Christmas, which I was surprised to learn looked good on me. I never bother to take off the necklace. Sometimes, I'll wear a white gold signet/class ring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LatinNote View Post
    Indeed! Soon Depp will be unrecognizable.
    I just wear my wedding ring and a watch on right wrist (left handed). A nice balance for me.
    Yep. He went accessory overboard a long time ago. Plus those goofy hats he wears now....

Depp has been self-imploding for a while now. I'm amazed Chanel is still utilizing him after the Heard thing broke into the news.

Anyway, I think a few well-chosen, distinctive accessories tend to go further than a motley mess of bling.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap List

Current Favorites
    Aramis Havana, Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Depp has been self-imploding for a while now. I'm amazed Chanel is still utilizing him after the Heard thing broke into the news.

Anyway, I think a few well-chosen, distinctive accessories tend to go further than a motley mess of bling.
    I actually think Depp's fashion style is pretty good, it's just too much at once. He has good fashion sense, IMO. He's not wearing flashy, gaudy, Jersey Shore looking or hip-hop junk all over himself. Those are the true accessory criminals, IMO.
    Depp just needs to keep the stuff that he has, just maybe take away about 30 layers.