Code of Conduct

Default DIY beard oil - fragrance request

Hi,

Mixing my own beard oil.
    Love the mixture of Argan and Amla oils.

My girlfriend likes Acqua di Gio on me.

Other than adding the perfume in directly, can someone suggest one or two items that would complement the Acqua di Gio?

Chemist / Chemical Engineer here, so explain it slowly...

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: DIY beard oil - fragrance request

Acqua di Gio is not just one or two things...

Best thing I can suggest, is to buy some fragrance oil marked ADG, and hope that you like it.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Thanks,

I have no problem adding the real stuff to my DIY, more interested in complementing it, not duplicating it.

And, it's difficult wearing the full Acqua di Gio right under my nose!

I suggest making an oil based perfume of vanilla and sandalwood. Find your own accord. Great on my goatee and the combo is something my wife and I both agree on.

One possible option would to be to take a major ingredient from Acqua di Gio and add more of it for reinforcement. From looking it up in the directory, I see that Acqua di Gio pour Homme has Hedione (methyl dihydrojasmonate) as a major ingredient. That's convenient, because it's widely available and user-friendly. Smelled neat it doesn't seem strong (a bit like weak jasmine tea with lemon), but it has good lasting power and boosts the diffusion of the rest of the formulae. People speak of it as having a "sunny" quality, good with citrus. It's non-irritant and can be used at up to 25-30% of the formula by weight.

I don't know where you're writing from, but in North America you can order small quantities from [1] or [2], or in Europe from [3], or in Asia/Oceania [4].

USA, will check it out, thanks.

I have the Profumo

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26145389.html

How do I see the ingredients?

You don't. Big perfume companies keep the ingredients very secret.

Oh, that’s a different story. I’m not aware of the Profumo version having hedione in it, though I suppose it might have a little under the citrus.

Ourmessis right, the ingredients are usually secret. The ‘notes’ tell you what result they were going for, and if you’re experienced you can sometimes deduce from that what they used. Sometimes they mention specific chemicals by name and other times not.

In some ways the Profumo is easier to riff on: bergamot, geranium, sage, rosemary, ‘incense’ (they mean frankincense) and patchouli are all easy to buy as essential oils. If you go for more bergamot get ‘bergapten free’ or ‘FCF free’ or you might irritate your skin or bleach your beard (had a classmate who made that mistake with a shampoo formula, hair went orange ...).

If you’re looking for other scents that complement that profile, lavender is traditional in shaving creams and aftershaves, or vetiver is a nice masculine woody scent that goes with aquatic notes. As RSG says, sandalwood (or cedar if you like it) sweetened a tiny bit with vanilla is a nice combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Septime View Post
    Oh, that’s a different story. I’m not aware of the Profumo version having hedione in it, though I suppose it might have a little under the citrus.

Ourmessis right, the ingredients are usually secret. The ‘notes’ tell you what result they were going for, and if you’re experienced you can sometimes deduce from that what they used. Sometimes they mention specific chemicals by name and other times not.

In some ways the Profumo is easier to riff on: bergamot, geranium, sage, rosemary, ‘incense’ (they mean frankincense) and patchouli are all easy to buy as essential oils. If you go for more bergamot get ‘bergapten free’ or ‘FCF free’ or you might irritate your skin or bleach your beard (had a classmate who made that mistake with a shampoo formula, hair went orange ...).

If you’re looking for other scents that complement that profile, lavender is traditional in shaving creams and aftershaves, or vetiver is a nice masculine woody scent that goes with aquatic notes. As RSG says, sandalwood (or cedar if you like it) sweetened a tiny bit with vanilla is a nice combo.

FYI the discoloration your friend experienced from bergamot oil comes from the actual color deposit of unrefined bergamot oil (which is sort of a yellowish amber orange tint in cheap quality oils) not from a chemical reaction like bleach does to hair. Good quality and fresh bergamot is more pale green, and BPF bergamot is almost clear typically. Dark shades of hair shouldn't be affected by the oil really. Any EO/AC that has a strong color can deposit into hair follicles as they are very porous, so you need to take that into account if making a hair product. Although most shampoos have ~1-2% fragrance and leave on products less than that sometimes, so it really shouldn't tint the product too much, but it all needs to be tested.

Currently wearing: Eau de Campagne by Sisley