Code of Conduct

Question Hot pepper fragrance from late 90s-early 00s

There was a a men's cologne that we saw in stores like Nordstrom's and Macy's, possibly as early as 1996, and maybe up to 5-6 years after that. I'm pretty sure it was some designer brand, but I can't remember which one. I'm pretty sure that the cologne itself was actually red, or I guess it could've been the bottle or box that was red. Hot peppers were a powerful part of the scent, and the name might have made reference to it, but I'm no longer sure. I'm sorry, it's been so long, but it was something my husband liked, which is so rare, and I want to try to find it on eBay or Amazon, but I need the NAME first. Does anybody remember what this might be?

Default Re: Hot pepper fragrance from late 90s-early 00s

Givenchy Xeryus Rouge came out in 1995 and was in a red box and bottle with a prominent red pimento note.

Liz Clairborne Spark for men was launched in 2003 and made a big campaign about its being hot/spicy.

Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Bracken Man by Amouage

Xeryus is a good suggestion, however I can't help but associate a 90s peppery smell with YSL Opium Pour Homme. I know, it's not even close to a red box, but I think it's worth trying as the scent was quite common and fits your description as far as scent goes.

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestbrummie View Post
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge came out in 1995 and was in a red box and bottle with a prominent red pimento note.
    This is the only one I could think of as well.
    "Where there's gold, there's a gold digger" -Dashboard Confessional

Not the right year - but all I could think of was Mugler's Angel chilli flanker: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/291...Thierry-Mugler

Piper Nigrum - Villoresi --- 1999 so a possibility

Don't think it was ever in red bottle though

I agree with others on Givenchy Xeryus Rouge. Came in the same style bottle as the original Xeryus but in a dark red glass rather than the black onyx or obsidian bottle which was really striking. I can't think of anything else that would have been at the fragrance counters that fits the description during mid to late 90's. Been some time since I owned it but it started spicy and later in the dry down was some sweetness.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Piper Nigrum - Villoresi --- 1999 so a possibility

Don't think it was ever in red bottle though
    OP did mention it was a designer brand.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    OP did mention it was a designer brand.
    I know -- I took a punt as he was only 'pretty sure' and Villoresi products are quite widespread

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Xeryus is a good suggestion.
    Agree.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Think I'm rather wrong with this one, but Exception is a (black) pepper bomb for sure... IMG_20190524_212011.jpg

Xeryus is a good suggestion, however I can't help but associate a 90s peppery smell with YSL Opium Pour Homme. I know, it's not even close to a red box, but I think it's worth trying as the scent was quite common and fits your description as far as scent goes.
    This
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Maybe you are thinking about Dior Fahrenheit.

Freed from BN Institution

Conception La Rive from 1999. It has a citrus opening that leads to a prominent pepper note.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

That's it, HOORAY!! Thank you!! I read that it has been reformulated; what is the difference, and how can I tell which one is being sold?

Quote Originally Posted by BlissSniff View Post
    how can I tell which one is being sold?
    Look for one that looks like the one below:

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Poivre Piquant (2002) by l'Artisan Parfumeur
    0000000000000 - poivre-piquant.jpg

...and 4 years later: Terre d'Hermès

Btw: Xeryus Rouge has a wonderful opening, but the rest is very boring!
    Last edited by Trauerkraut; 25th May 2019 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Look for one that looks like the one below:
    That will be a HUGE help buying it online, thank you! How does the new version smell compared to the old version?

That will be a HUGE help buying it online, thank you! How does the new version smell compared to the old version?
    You're welcome. I only have the original release. Although I have tried the newest one, my recollection of it is not good.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    You're welcome. I only have the original release. Although I have tried the newest one, my recollection of it is not good.
    hey hednic...you disabled pm. came back to the forum after a LONG time. If you are ever in NJ go to Misk Shoppe in Dayton NJ. Really great B&M with Oriental fragrances. Hundreds of them.

That's it, HOORAY!! Thank you!! I read that it has been reformulated; what is the difference, and how can I tell which one is being sold?
    My pleasure, couldn't have seen it being anything other than that - and I wore it to death in the late 90s and early 00s! The new version isn't so bad, there is a difference but it's recogniseable as the same fragrance. I own a bottle of the new and old stuff at the moment.

My pleasure, couldn't have seen it being anything other than that - and I wore it to death in the late 90s and early 00s! The new version isn't so bad, there is a difference but it's recogniseable as the same fragrance. I own a bottle of the new and old stuff at the moment.
    How would you describe the difference? Do you like it as well?