Seem to have got a hankering after it for some reason -

Remind me why its soooo good

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Fans of Red for Men Giorgio BH

Count me in!
    oh look, I have a signature

I can't say I'm a fan of the EA version, but the vintage has several facets that seem to come and go, almost like trying to show off the state of the art for modern perfumery, circa early 90s.

I'm a fan of this as well. I have had my nose on it once, but that was enough to make me add it to my buy list. I love seeing cheapies get some love on here, as that is nearly my entire collection.

I’m in !

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
    I'm a fan of this as well. I have had my nose on it once, but that was enough to make me add it to my buy list. I love seeing cheapies get some love on here, as that is nearly my entire collection.
    The stuff wasn't initially a cheapie believe it or not!

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    The stuff wasn't initially a cheapie believe it or not!
    I can totally believe it. LOL! I actually got interested in this brand after seeing it pop up at discounters locally. I then decided to do a bit of research, and discovered that they were one of THE original American luxury brands, and their store was one of the first luxe boutiques in Beverly Hills (if I remember correctly). I found their history to be quite fascinating, and after learning that, I decided I want to nab a few of their fragrances for my collection. However, Red is the only one I have had the opportunity to sniff thus far, and I was quite impressed with it, especially considering the price.

My GF had the women's one (original, not red), but my aunt really liked it, so she gave it to her just to be nice. Every time I add one of these to my cart, I always think there is a Bogart that I could be ordering instead, so I haven't nabbed any for myself thus far. However, Red will be my first one when I do. It really is a good fragrance IMO.

Recently i blind bought Giorgio for Men and it is fantastic, didn't expect for this price. Is Red same level?

Another fan here-for some reason, as with other decent to downright outstandingly good fragrances for bargain prices, am very thankful and can almost not yet fully understand my lack to have found a fragrance that combines so many complex notes successfully so inexpensively

Basenotes Plus

Both red and the original for men have a fun retro campy feel. The original is always a good time but red is hit or miss for me. It starts feeling a little too loud and cheap after awhile.
    Currently wearing: Black by Bulgari

Quote Originally Posted by DanHD View Post
    Both red and the original for men have a fun retro campy feel. The original is always a good time but red is hit or miss for me. It starts feeling a little too loud and cheap after awhile.
    Is that the EA version? The original starts out loud and strong, but after an hour or so a dry wood note becomes dominant as everything else lightens up.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Is that the EA version? The original starts out loud and strong, but after an hour or so a dry wood note becomes dominant as everything else lightens up.
    I got it about a year ago, so I'm guessing it's the EA version.

I need this back in my life.
    It's a explanation/description defying sort of frag.
    Got three years more fragrance nose, better application techniques tailored for different frags, got atomisers, got spreadsheets... I'm ready for this.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    I need this back in my life.
    It's a explanation/description defying sort of frag.
    Got three years more fragrance nose, better application techniques tailored for different frags, got atomisers, got spreadsheets... I'm ready for this.
    You go Ifti! Let us know how it goes. I'm going to dig up my vintage sample and see if my opinion still holds.

I'm a fan of both the original and Red. Both are best with one or two sprays to the torso to prevent them becoming too loud and overpowering. I avoid Red in the warmer weather as it tends to scream a bit in the heat...!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
    I can totally believe it. LOL! I actually got interested in this brand after seeing it pop up at discounters locally. I then decided to do a bit of research, and discovered that they were one of THE original American luxury brands, and their store was one of the first luxe boutiques in Beverly Hills (if I remember correctly). I found their history to be quite fascinating, and after learning that, I decided I want to nab a few of their fragrances for my collection. However, Red is the only one I have had the opportunity to sniff thus far, and I was quite impressed with it, especially considering the price.

My GF had the women's one (original, not red), but my aunt really liked it, so she gave it to her just to be nice. Every time I add one of these to my cart, I always think there is a Bogart that I could be ordering instead, so I haven't nabbed any for myself thus far. However, Red will be my first one when I do. It really is a good fragrance IMO.
    Every scent Giorgio made was a bomb in performance. Original male and female, VIP, Red male and female, WIngs male and female, all powerhouses. Wings is literally the loudest aquatic on Earth, hence the "dryer sheets" nickname it gets. Red is really nice with a rosy heart I love, I just wear it infrequently due to its romantic lean.

I got it about a year ago, so I'm guessing it's the EA version.
    If you want to get a sense of the original without buying a bottle, there should be some Preferred Stock you can try at a drug store. That one is much closer to original than the EA is to the original (unless of course PS has been radically reformulated as well).

Basenotes Plus

If you want to get a sense of the original without buying a bottle, there should be some Preferred Stock you can try at a drug store. That one is much closer to original than the EA is to the original (unless of course PS has been radically reformulated as well).
    Thanks Bigsly. I'll keep an eye out.

I was underwhelmed by the EA version of this and unloaded it some time ago. The original Giorgio for Men has also been butchered by EA. I think the original production costs for these were fairly high and distribution was more limited compared to other designers because they really haven't fared well in reformulations. Someday I'll seek out vintage Red but it's somewhat scarce.
    Currently wearing: Deep Forest by Bogner

Basenotes Junkie

On the preferred stock, I got a brand new bottle. At first spray i almost jumped for joy because it was fantastic in the opening. A bit oldschool, fresh, lemony, strong..... just what I needed for all season wear. But it quickly lost it and became cheap and plastic smelling in the drydown. I was sad all day. But it does make a good car freshener.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason125 View Post
    On the preferred stock, I got a brand new bottle. At first spray i almost jumped for joy because it was fantastic in the opening. A bit oldschool, fresh, lemony, strong..... just what I needed for all season wear. But it quickly lost it and became cheap and plastic smelling in the drydown. I was sad all day. But it does make a good car freshener.
    There may be a new PS, but you are correct, in that I didn't study PS and only smelled it for the first ten minutes or so. Vintage Red keeps things going for a long time, but a dry wood emergesm as other notes weaken a bit. In the EA version, nothing about it smelled like vintage to me, other than the most general things (they are both obviously "masculine," for example).

vintage and reform layered on my wrist.. a wonderful mist!

Banned

Original Vetiver is a nice one

INTRUDER ALERT!

I absolutely hated the modern stuff when I tried it, but don't write it off as it sounds like something I should like. Felt like a violently horrible reformulation to me. Gave me a headache.

Is this a case like Halston Z-14? Love the vintage, haaaaate the modern. And I'm usually pretty forgiving about such things.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

IMG_20190529_170653_191.jpg

I took a picture of my unused backup to represent the Red Crew <3

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    IMG_20190529_170653_191.jpg

I took a picture of my unused backup to represent the Red Crew <3
    Get innnn! (UK colloqual expression - a favorable exclamation)

Awesome pic ZC. It makes me want to hurry up and add this to the collection.

Basenotes Plus

Welllll, just scrubbed the vintage after 8 rough hours. No disrespect to you Red lovers out there, but my original opinion holds for both the current and vintage.

Welllll, just scrubbed the vintage after 8 rough hours. No disrespect to you Red lovers out there, but my original opinion holds for both the current and vintage.
    Did you get the transition to more of a dry/woody scent after half an hour to an hour with vintage?

Basenotes Plus

Did you get the transition to more of a dry/woody scent after half an hour to an hour with vintage?
    Yes, actually that transition was the best part. But it is a relentless scent. I don't have the fortitude..