Code of Conduct

Unhappy Gloria Swanson Got Me

In my lust for a piece of a legend (more than 2ml) at what seemed like a decent price from a high-volume seller hawking estate sale finds, I became a statistic. It's a story as old as eBay. Photos of a somewhat dusty small bottle of Narcisse Noir with its original box, almost full with slightly evaporated/darkened juice, meant to bamboozle. Now more are showing up from the same seller with the same profile. Pricing is a little too good and the description is a long disclaimer about how the seller can't be held responsible for what is in this fine collectible. Ratings aren't bad, though; strange.

Day of arrival and the bottle was cleaned up and smelling a lot like some terrible celebrity frag - sharp, harshly floral, but not in the way an old perfume is "turned". Just cheap, loud and bearing no resemblance to Ms. Swanson's predatory favorite perfume, because I have the real thing in a little vial. Lesson learned.

Default Re: Gloria Swanson Got Me

Very sorry to hear this. Do you know the approximate age of the bottle you purchased? What is the formulation? I ask because Narcisse Noir was terribly altered through reformulation, as early as the 1980's in the EDT version, and turned into a sharp aldehydic floral, with no resemblance to the vintage version. Post a photo of your bottle if you can.

On the other hand, perhaps your bottle was refilled...

Thanks for replying to a newbie! I knew that it had been reformulated and actually have a bottle of a 2000s EDT (way too soapy for me). Also have a decant of the vintage EDT, which is lovely and rich. This was presented, a little deceptively, as very old. Refilling is what I'm concerned about, but you're right - it might the newer version of Narcisse Noir.

Here are a couple of images.
    20190525_093953.jpg
    20190525_094035.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Couronne de Violette; 25th May 2019 at 05:30 PM.

Missing Oakmoss

What a letdown, Couronne de Violette. I so understand why you wanted to have some share in the life of the fabulous Gloria Swanson. All of us who love and collect vintage perfume have been burned to some extent or another in the process, and what a kick in the teeth it is when it happens! It was generous of you to share your experience here.

Welcome to Basenotes. Love your forum name!

Sorry to hear about your experience. It has happened to me too in the past to have a vintage bottle that was partially refilled with unrelated liquid (in one case, yellow floor cleaner). It just happens. Most of my purchases have been ok too, so one has to look at the big picture.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Ebay nearly always sides with the buyer, so if you contact them in writing (and by phone) and complain loud and long, they will usually refund your money.

You can and should leave negative feedback for the seller, since that way other potential buyers will be made aware of the problem.

SO sorry about your negative experience. Most of us have had one or two.

Yikes! Maybe "floor cleaner" accords will be the hot niche note in the near future.

I am dithering about that. I definitely don't want others to be burned, but the seller does seem to have genuine vintage bottles for sale as well. I'll be smarter in the future.

Just file an "Item Not As Described" for the reason of "Doesn't Seem Authentic." It will almost certainly be accepted. Or you could try contacting the seller. Narcisse Noir is pretty loud though.

To give you an idea of just how pro-buyer ebay is, I once sold someone a limited edition Jean Paul Gaultier bottle. They opened a return. When I received the return it wasn't the JPG bottle, but a bottle of Euphrates, a cheap imitation of Calvin Klein Euphoria. I immediately took pictures of the returned box and opened a case with ebay. Well, ebay sided with the buyer because they couldn't "prove" it was the buyer who was responsible for the item not being returned "in the same condition" as when it was sent. I had to go to the police and file a report in order to get ebay to overturn their decision.

Just wanted to update on this. The seller did work with me on an exchange, but I have yet to receive it. They had a number of NN bottles, and apparently buy in such bulk that they don't test at the level of detail to determine authenticity, so price lower. I also got some true vintage extrait and WOW. At first I wasn't sure I could handle the animalic opening, but then it turned into the loveliest orange blossom. Chiaroscuro scent: sunny flower with a dark shadow.

Missing Oakmoss

That vintage extrait sounds divine! I'm glad to hear that things are working out with the seller, too.

They actually sent me another, slightly large flower stopper bottle with the same juice in it as a reparation exchange and hoped I was "very happy with it". Bizarre.

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Couronne de Violette View Post
    They actually sent me another, slightly large flower stopper bottle with the same juice in it as a reparation exchange and hoped I was "very happy with it". Bizarre.
    They certainly mean well, and this outcome is so much better than the one some of here us have experienced, i.e. never hearing another word.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Maybe they bought a lot of bottles drained for decants unknowingly.
    oh look, I have a signature

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    They certainly mean well, and this outcome is so much better than the one some of here us have experienced, i.e. never hearing another word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I'm so sorry the replacement bottle was also filled with Mystery Juice. What will you do now?

I'm not sure I believe this seller means well and is operating unknowingly. Given all of the disclaimers on their listings, they seem to be quite aware that a percentage of their items are dodgy. They currently have 218 bottles for sale...

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    They also had vintage bottles with darkened remnants and not cleaned up, so they looked like estate finds. Odd that a seller would specialize in items they know little about.

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    I'm so sorry the replacement bottle was also filled with Mystery Juice. What will you do now?

I'm not sure I believe this seller means well and is operating unknowingly. Given all of the disclaimers on their listings, they seem to be quite aware that a percentage of their items are dodgy. They currently have 218 bottles for sale...
    I haven't left feedback yet, and let them know that the juice wasn't authentic. On toolhaus, which I just discovered, they have a LOT more negative feedback. Rather not deal with them anymore.

They also had vintage bottles with darkened remnants and not cleaned up, so they looked like estate finds. Odd that a seller would specialize in items they know little about.
    Exactly. I often buy from sellers who must have picked up one or two vintage bottles as part of an estate, and I always give them the benefit of the doubt. In almost every instance, these bottles are perfect. If I get a dud, it's my loss. But if you are specializing in vintage perfume on Ebay, perhaps you should try to learn your business.