Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Chicago Meet-Up Reports, May 25, 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    You folks really bring Hermès to life. Possibly my favorite image ever inside an Hermès boutique, and I have some great photos and memories!

Quote Originally Posted by matildaben View Post
    Sample swap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bringing back some wonderful memories! Some of the best people in the world right there.

What a treat this thread!
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 26th May 2019 at 10:34 PM. Reason: picture display issues
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Wanted by Night by Azzaro

Beautiful Basenoters! You all look great! Loving the pics and stories and craving more! Thanks so much for letting us vicariously join the meetup. I'm so glad you got such beautiful weather and had a wonderful time; happy for you all!
    Currently wearing: No. 5 L'Eau by Chanel

Lean in closer, dear

Blog Entries

Judging by his avatar and yesterday’s wardrobe, it might be said that Bavard likes stripes. Kotori was wearing chevron stripes yesterday. Watching them hug good-bye, I fell into the Twilight Zone’s “in-and-out spiral of madness” and haven’t totally emerged yet today, Sunday. Sleep deprived Friday night and having to get up at 4 a.m. to catch a train, followed by lots of stimulation, leaves me feeling laid back today, surrounded by an array of smells and memories.

MerzVertical.jpg

Look at that sunshine where thunderstorms had been predicted.

MerzHorizontal.jpg

Merz.jpg
    MERZ
    The oldest functioning pharmacy in Chicago, Merz Apothecary has an interesting history and the neatest people and products. I will dedicate a whole separate thread to them soon. There’s a new video coming out about the shop, and I hope to share it here.

Because the name can be difficult for people to spell correctly, their website was named smallflower.com. You can order SAMPLES OF ANY FRAGRANCE THEY CARRY. Their site was just reworked, and owner Anthony says in a few days there will be a new dedicated samples section. For now, you can find samples by searching for scents individually.

Highlights from my in-store experience included the Wall of Soaps — a literal wall of fragrant bar soaps. Then there were the perfumes Twisted Iris and Fathom V. I will be ordering samples of these. I was going to post their notes here, but the notes don’t seem to represent their character. Suffice it to say there were multiple BNers mummuring about Fathom V.

The hospitality was above par — mimosas, ice water, pastry, and the photo corner you see represented in posts above. We were well taken care of. I think each one of us will do business with them. If you have a chance, you must visit to experience the dazzling array of products. You must at least visit their website to discover novel thrills that can be hard for some of us, who feel like we’ve sampled almost everything, to find anymore.

MikeTrilby.jpg

At Barneys (above), Mike Perez and Trilby Lark.
    ​(Below) Bavard, Foxbins (facing away), Kotori, Juxtapozbliss, ComDiva, and bearded Krooze
    surrounding a Serge Lutens display.

Barneys.jpg

BARNEYS
    The fragrance SAs appear to love their jobs. The offerings are good, of course. The Vilhelm Parfumerie line interested me. The bottles are attractive, and Basilico & Fellini was nice, but only the full-size (100ml) bottles were available at a steep $245. If they stocked the travel size, I might have lingered longer over the display. I would have bought Maison Margiela Across Sands if available in smaller bottles.

Lunch at FoodLife was convenient. How’s that for a ringing endorsement?

HERMES
    Some among us were able to get those desirable, travel-size bottles by sharing a coffret from Hermes. I didn’t get much time there myself.

Dior 2019.jpg

RHM's sister breezing through the Dior display at Saks.
    SAKS, NEIMAN MARCUS
    I give credit to the abundance of Jo Malone releases available in small bottles. The Weeds & Wildflower series are visually attractive, but none offered a must-have scent.
    Nobody is carrying Annick Goutal in store anymore! What’s up with that? I wanted to sample both Etoile d’Une Nuit and Nuit Etoilee. Have to search out how to access AG samples now. The Maison Lancome is definitely worth checking out. Again, only the big bottles were available. If the travel size were stocked, I might have pulled the trigger on the Jasmine.
    Bought Nest Sicilian Tangerine liquid soap and liquidless diffusers to match up with my same-scent candle.

IMG_0026.jpg

"Bedtime"

THE DRAKE
    We migrated through a couple rooms to finally dispatch the pounds and pounds of samples and bottles as, one by one, we began to disperse. The good-byes were touching. In a span of minutes, Mike “communicated” using three forms that let a person know they’re cared for: the tangible (a candle), with touch (a Mike Perez bear hug), and through words. That tied a bow around the whole day.

Later that night, Matildaben called and left a message on my oft-ridiculed flip phone that all the leftover samples were offered to a restaurant wait staff and gladly accepted.

And that’s the way you have yourselves a merry meet-up.

Feeling the withdrawal symptoms as our event wound down, we already began throwing out ideas — How about Seattle 2021? Stay tuned.

For a homebody, Saturday packed a lot of travel time — Drive to station, train to Chicago, taxi to Merz, elevated L trains to downtown, bus back to station, train back to Milwaukee, and drive back home.

Thank you to everyone for contributing to the festivities. The vintage Opium may be my favorite catch of the day. Special thanks to ??? for that. Looking forward to processing all the samples.

Jux.jpg

​Jux herding cats on the L trains.

Random thoughts:
    “Horse stuff” — LOL, LOL, LOL.
    Maxxing out a hotel elevator — LOL, LOL, LOL.
    I got to meet the Kotori clan, and “radiant” is the word that applies to the whole bunch of them.
    BN members may be introverts or extroverts, but all rise to the same level of affectionate openness within the environment of a BN meet-up.
    I advance my awareness of fragrance much more greatly in the company of others.
    We are fortunate.
    I love my strong, wise, sweet women of Basenotes.
    All in all, it was pretty F#@king Fabulous.

fabulous.jpg

LogoNails.jpg
    Chanel, Hermes, Guerlain, Serge Lutens logos.
    Read: "Quarry Loves Basenotes."
    IMG_0033.jpg

2019 souvenirs.jpg
    ...Do Less. ... Own Less..... Say "no" More Often.
    Currently wearing: Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

Wearing Perfume Right Now

At Saks, we spent a fair amount of time at Dior. RHM, Cindy, Kotori and I went through the classics. Jules had left the party when we went to Hermes. Cindy ended up buying Diorissimo parfum, a 50-ml spray, which was a steal at around $100.

I liked Dioressence. I think it was my first time smelling it. It's a sister scent to Miss Dior, to my nose.

I thought they were all nice: the three concentrations of Diorissimo, Dioressence, Diorama, and Miss Dior (Originale).

I brought cards back home and Jules loves Diorama. She'll probably get some. Dior is her favorite house.

In the Maison Christian Dior line (the colorful juices), there's a Dioramour. It's sort of like Dior Homme Intense in the top and like the mid of Coco Mademoiselle in the base.

They supposedly had the last bottle of Cuir Cannage available in the US. None of us were into it enough to go for the bottle even with it's potential resale value. It's a bit heavy-smelling for my tastes. I like Jasmin Des Anges from that line.

I see above ExtremeK was also in on the Dior sampling.

Points to RHM for matching my enthusiasm for sniffing classic Diors.

Basenotes Plus

Happy birthday to you, Quarry! It sounds like yesterday gave you one of the best gifts imaginable.

Not to mention the gift you gave everyone else by initiating this meetup in the first place -- even us vicarious rubberneckers.

Basenotes Plus

I brought cards back home and Jules loves Diorama.
    I haven't even met her and I like this girl already.

How did your business card gadget work out for filing smelling strips?

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    How did your business card gadget work out for filing smelling strips?
    It worked well. It got thick. Mike said it looked scientific.

It worked well. It got thick. Mike said it looked scientific.
    It was really clever. He upgraded my version significantly by prefilling it with the business cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: Vlad Dracul by Sixteen92

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    It was really clever. He upgraded my version significantly by prefilling it with the business cards.
    That's what I call some sweet metup swag! Classy guy, that Bavard.

While at Saks the S.A. mentioned that Dior Leather Oud had been discontinued. Sadly they're phasing out the classics of the privee line for colorful juices and less interesting smells. I did like Balade Sauvage, however...

Second City - Grinning from Fear to Fear was really good. They imitated dogs and cats. Enacted nightmares. Lots of laughs. I wouldn't do the 23-ounce beers again when I have to wake up at 4:30 a.m. We did make it to the Girl and the Goat around 10:30 pm and got a seat at the bar. It was great. We'd seen so much great stuff at that point, it didn't stand out too much.

The Smoked Meats place that I think Ryan mentioned - we went to the wine bar right next to that - lots of outdoor seating: RM Champagne Salon. That neighborhood was so nice: hip and lively.

The Chicago production of Hamilton is on par with the New York City show, I think. I like the leads (Burr and Hamilton) in the Chicago cast, although this Burr did an underwhelming "Wait for it," I thought. Other times, he was great and owned it. This Hamilton, I thought, was a comedic dancer. He could make the audience laugh.

West Loop is awesome. Definitely a spot to be on a nice evening. So glad you had fun out here!

Second City - Grinning from Fear to Fear was really good. They imitated dogs and cats. Enacted nightmares. Lots of laughs. I wouldn't do the 23-ounce beers again when I have to wake up at 4:30 a.m. We did make it to the Girl and the Goat around 10:30 pm and got a seat at the bar. It was great. We'd seen so much great stuff at that point, it didn't stand out too much.

The Smoked Meats place that I think Ryan mentioned - we went to the wine bar right next to that - lots of outdoor seating: RM Champagne Salon. That neighborhood was so nice: hip and lively.

The Chicago production of Hamilton is on par with the New York City show, I think. I like the leads (Burr and Hamilton) in the Chicago cast, although this Burr did an underwhelming "Wait for it," I thought. Other times, he was great and owned it. This Hamilton, I thought, was a comedic dancer. He could make the audience laugh.

Between two pine trees

Default Chicago Meet-Up Reports, May 25, 2019

This was my first meet-up, and what an incredible experience it was. The perfuming was great fun, of course, but what was truly special was meeting so many wonderful people who even at first introduction didn’t feel remotely like strangers.

Personal highlights include:
    (1) meeting Trilby Lark, foxbins, and matildaben on Friday night for a late cocktail and getting a little tipsy and a lot talkative. Turns out Trilby Lark and I both love a good Old Fashioned — and everyone loves how David smells ... Trilby especially
    (2) taking the trains with foxbins to Merz Saturday morning and having a great talk on the way there, then running into Kotori just outside the station while we were trying to figure out which way to go. Kotori’s beautiful smile and infectious friendliness is something to behold;
    (3) walking into Merz and insisting Quarry give me a big hello hug before I told her who I actually was and then getting another big hug for good measure;
    (4) meeting RHM, her sister, ComDiva, Jux, Bavard, Jules, and so many other wonderful Basenoters at Merz and introducing Trilby Lark to Kerosene;
    (5) getting “check my nose” assistance from foxbins and Trilby Lark at Barneys and receiving confirmation that, yes, Malle’s new Sale Gosse really did smell that amazing on [insert Mike’s teasing about kid scents here ] and leading to bottle purchase #1;
    (6) meeting Mike at Barneys, talking Serge Lutens, and trying new-to-us Malles;
    (7) hitting Hermès with foxbins, Mike, and Trilby Lark to smell the new Cedre Sambac and finally getting to smell Galop (leading to a 4-mini bottle coffret split [Cedre Sambac — a perfectly dirty jasmine — for ComDiva, foxbins, and me and Vetiver Tonka for Jux] and bottle #2 for me (Galop — fell immediately and hard for that gorgeous rose leather);
    (8) starting to realize at Barneys and Hermès just what a truly special scent sister I have in foxbins and then confirming it at Saks, as we learned just how many fragrance loves and note preferences we have in common;
    (9) fun at the Neiman’s Tom Ford counter with rynegne and Krooze;
    (10) introducing David to the gang at the swap (we needed more time for the swap fun, dammit!!!!!!), finding good new homes for all of our culled bottles and picking up some treasures of our own, including big decants of Parfumerie Generale Louanges Profanes for me (and finding a 2nd one for my scent sis!!) and Il Profumo Vanille Bourbon for David;
    (11) getting a few much-appreciated flashes of Shycat’s incomparable humor as the swap wore down; and, finally,
    (12) spending a second day perfume shopping with foxbins on Sunday, leading to a long brunch and cocktails for us and David, plus bottles 3 (Parfums de Marly Delina Exclusive), 4 (Amouage Love Tuberose), and 5 for me.

They supposedly had the last bottle of Cuir Cannage available in the US. None of us were into it enough to go for the bottle even with it's potential resale value. It's a bit heavy-smelling for my tastes.
    Not any more, they don’t!! Foxbins and I split their last 200ml bottle. We LOVE it. A real leather (not suede) that quickly turned oh-so-perfectly filthy on both of us. Luca Turin may know perfume, but he’s no linguist. Saying that “cannage” refers to “wickerwork” instead of a cane is COMPLETELY missing the BDSM reference for that fragrance. Freaking brilliant. That was bottle #5 (or, technically, bottle #5.25) and the end for me.

Although David (who also shares fragrance space with foxbins) will likely end up with a bottle of Parfums de Marly Oajan sometime in the near future. And I still need a bottle of Nombril Immense. And probably the Hermès rhubarb. (Thanks, foxbins )

I loved meeting and spending time with each and every one of you. And I’m both immensely pleased and rather disappointed that I was having so much fun in the moment, I completely forgot about taking any photos.

Next time.
    Currently wearing: Bracken Woman by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    Not any more, they don’t!! Foxbins and I split their last 200ml bottle. We LOVE it. A real leather (not suede) that quickly turned oh-so-perfectly filthy on both of us.
    Oh, perfect. That's brilliant!

It was so nice meeting so many of you. Although I left early, I really enjoyed the experience. I would definitely like to do this again next year.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Cindy & I got back to St. Louis earlier today. It was a pretty uneventful drive home, just like I like it. She returns to Florida on Tuesday & I will miss her greatly. We both had a wonderful time & I was so happy to have her share this experience. She fell in love with Fathom V & snared the only bottle in stock at Merz. It's an amazing scent & turned into a chewy green rose, complete with stems, on my sister. Here are the notes from base notes' directory: Top Notes: Earth, Green Leaves, Aquatic notes Heart Notes: Cumin, Lily, Black Pepper & Base notes: Vetiver, Moss, Salt. (I'll just omit telling her there's vetiver in it, as she is not a fan.)

I was hunting a "citrus that will last" for this summer to wear to work. I bought Carthusia Mediterraneo edp which is a soft but long lasting lemon, balsam & tea scent on my skin. David recommended Xerjoffs' Shooting Stars Nio but we couldn't find the line anywhere.

The Merz Apothecary was a success. We left with a purse atomizer, as a gift with purchase too.

Hermes was a destination I wanted to be sure to visit. Dawn Spence Hurwitz & I split a 4 piece set of the travel sprays at the Denver Meet up. This time I had my eye on 3 scents: Muguet Porcelaine, Osmantthe Yunnan, & Iris Ukiyoe. Annette told me about Cuir d' Ange & I added that one to the set. They are each & every one unique & I know I will enjoy them all. Hermes also had the new release of Un Jardin Sur Lagune which Matildaben really liked. We each received samples of that one & Annette got a sample of the Cuir d'Ange as well.

At Barney's I tested the more recent Frederick Malles but didn't buy anything. Cindy fell in love with a Serge Luten bell jar of Santal de Mysore. We were both very surprised by this, as she is the white floral, fig or amber girl whereas I usually am the Queen of Resin, Woods & all things quirky (scent wise, anyway). I liked Dent de Lait & got a sample but the "blood accord" might be a bit tooo quirky, even for me. We'll see.

SAKS was lots of fun. Smelling the classic Diors with Bavard & Cindy was really interesting. The transition from edt, edp to parfum of Diorissimo was so beautiful. (I am only just starting to appreciate certain florals: lily of the valley & lily, in particular.). Cindy bought the Diorissimo parfum, which really was priced very reasonably for a parfum strength, 50 ml bottle. My brother-in-law is going to love that on her!

I went back to the Dior counter & Hannah, one of the SA's, helped me with Dioressence, edt. My favorite of the group. The fragrance notes are: Top Notes - Aldehydes, Bergamot, Orange, Fruits, Patchouli, Green notes. Heart Notes - Carnation, Tuberose, Cinnamon, Violet, Orris, Jasmine, Ylang ylang, Rose, Geranium Base notes - Musk, Patchouli, Benzoin, Vanilla, Oakmoss, Vetiver, Styrax.

Matildaben & I discovered we look great in the same shades of lipstick, as we played with lip colors & made our purchases, the rest of our merry band departed for Neiman Marcus across the street. Cindy, Matildaben & I each bought Dior Addict lipsticks along with our fragrances. (I'll let Matildaben tell you about her fragrance purchase at Dior.)

It's getting late & I'm really tired. It's been a long day, so I'll continue this later.....
    It's that time of year again where my daughter asks; "Mom, why does the cat smell like Chamade?"
    Currently wearing: Epic Woman by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    SAKS was lots of fun. Smelling the classic Diors with Bavard & Cindy was really interesting. The transition from edt, edp to parfum of Diorissimo was so beautiful. (I am only just starting to appreciate certain florals: lily of the valley & lily, in particular.). Cindy bought the Diorissimo parfum, which really was priced very reasonably for a parfum strength, 50 ml bottle. My brother-in-law is going to love that on her!

I went back to the Dior counter & Hannah, one of the SA's, helped me with Dioressence, edt. My favorite of the group. The fragrance notes are: Top Notes - Aldehydes, Bergamot, Orange, Fruits, Patchouli, Green notes. Heart Notes - Carnation, Tuberose, Cinnamon, Violet, Orris, Jasmine, Ylang ylang, Rose, Geranium Base notes - Musk, Patchouli, Benzoin, Vanilla, Oakmoss, Vetiver, Styrax.
    Great pick up. One of the best I smelled during the day.

Ended up regretting not grabbing Tom Ford Beau de Jour on the trip...so I found a big bottle on Ebay today. Here's to hoping it's real! Beau by Tom Ford and Bigarade Concentree haunted me over the past 24 hours. I grabbed both ad hoc. I think both were interesting departures from those in my collection. Looking forward to owning both.

Also, my wife wore Gucci Bloom Aqcua di Flori today and she loved it...smelled divine on her. That and Chanel Gabrielle (which she wanted previously) were my only purchases yesterday. She was elated but a little bummed she didn't attend. She's the anti-wallflower and said she wishes she could have hung and chatted perfumes with all of you!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I had a profoundly fabulous time. I've fallen in love with Trilby Lark, who took very good care of me, and with someone I recall as Annette who rescued me from sensory overload at the Merz. Many thanks! I loved meeting you at last, Q, and everyone! I drove 7 1/2 hours up and back, and walked myself to spasticity on Saturday-- I quit early but I appreciated the time I had with you all. It'll take a bit of time for my head to stop spinning--I took almost no pictures....but

The side door from inside The Merz Apothecary

20190525_091752.jpg

Trilby Lark, Shycat, Foxbins, Matildabens
    20190526_100954.jpg

A surprise highlight of the trip--a chat with three generations of women on a girls trip from Oklahoma as we admired a lavish Indian wedding.

20190526_103433.jpg

My loot after I limped into Tennessee, taken from my bed where you may find me for the next several days. Smelling of my new Creed Love in White and admiring a full bottle of Malle En Passant. The group shot above is taken in front of an awesome palette knife rendering of a lilac bush--so to complete the lilac love.

20190526_221545.jpg
    Last edited by Shycat; 27th May 2019 at 06:31 AM.
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it. It's The Great Shy Purge of 2019.
    Currently wearing: Rosarium by Shiseido

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Wonderful photos from what I'm sure was a wonderful time for everyone in attendance!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post

Luca Turin may know perfume, but he’s no linguist. Saying that “cannage” refers to “wickerwork” instead of a cane is COMPLETELY missing the BDSM reference for that fragrance. Freaking brilliant.
    I'm not about to question somebody named "ExtremeK" on this point.

No, really. Good show!!!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Wanted by Night by Azzaro

Freed from BN Institution

Wonderful photos and stories. I do have regret for not being able to attend, I certainly missed out on a lot.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Pretty cool indeed! And totally jealous...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne
    Currently wearing: Chergui by Serge Lutens

It was such a joy to read through the thread and to look at all these photos. So many cool and amazing people enjoying the fragrances! It seems like you definitely had a great time and it's so great you shared your moments with us!

Meetup Moments

Arriving to the CTA station just as my train pulled away, I arrived late to Merz and missed any introductions. Jux had sent me a note a couple of days earlier and I hadn’t responded yet so I asked around to find him. I was delighted to find another creative and out of the box thinker in him. Then I ran into Bavard, whom I was apparently calling by the wrong name at the time! Quarry came over, and my was she glowing! The last time I saw her, we rode down to a Chicago meet-up 12 years ago when I was living in Waukegan, and we rode down together. Having been to Merz this year, I wanted to let others have the access and fun, and engaged mostly with Hilde Soliani and Grossmith. Golden Chypre is gorgeous and I might need it eventually. (Though perhaps Mitsouko does it better at a lower price point.) My highlight there was smelling Geo F. Trumper Sandalwood, which is beautiful and rich and a lot like Egoiste. Perhaps less rosy. And I became jealous of Jux and Bavard’s card filing system. I bought shaving cream for Mr. Kotori.

Riding the trains with everyone was a highlight. There’s nothing like riding the CTA with friends. I love the structure of it, and the speed. And Jux helpfully directed us all. This is the place where I’m from, and I miss it so deeply— in my bones.

Carlos and Trillian at Barney’s are two of my favorite SA’s and I love their stories. I bought Eau de Magnolia after scoping it with Krooze. The new 30 ml size Malles are great! And Krooze and I found out we both like bright citruses with something dirty growling underneath. We also spent time at Serge Lutens, where I met Foxbins and RHM finally. Everyone was explaining the bell jar phenomenon to me. My favorite is Sarrasins.

I wasn’t at Hermès long, but what a great photo to crystallize the moment. I mostly mooned over Galop, which smelled great on Quarry. I may need it. And Eau de Neroli Dore and its bath products. I totally missed Cedre Sambac! And the new Jardin is nothing special, unfortunately.

At Foodlife, the Carnitas street tacos were soul-feeding and some of you got to meet Mr. Kotori and our boys as they made their way back to our hotel from the beach. I was intrigued by Foxbin’s crab/shrimp bisque soup. Oh, and Bavard finally corrected me on his name! (Facepalm)

Smelling Dior with Pochi, Jux, and Bavard, I was so looking forward to smelling the Prive/Maison line for the first time. Bois d’Argent and Cuir Cannage and Feve Delicieux were on my test list. Cuir Cannage was gorgeous and I’m relieved it found a home. The newer offerings were more disappointing. Le Colle Noire and Dioramour were interesting to me from the newer offerings. But with all those higher-end ones around finally, I realized how much I love Dioressence and Diorama and Diorella. Then I realized the SA Hannah had sold me my bottle of Diorella at NM in the suburbs a few years ago! Pochi, I loved swapping screen name backstories with you. I got over to Amouage with Cindy and RHM and Jux and noticed Ormonde Jayne as we were supposed to be leaving. To my delight, he SA Caitlin slipped me some surprise OJ samples.

At NM, Krooze and I checked out Guerlain, where I finally got to put on Cuir Beluga after missing out on it at the Guerlain Boutique a year or so ago (they were out). And it was beautiful!! Then I got to know mikeperez a bit as we sang the praises of Cartier L’Heure Promise.

At the Drake, the art work on the first floor is something the see and I got totally distracted by it! I got to meet ComDiva and rynegyne and ExtremeK and ExtremeK’s David in a cozy space. Rynegyne, I need to smell more of your work.

Regrets: not taking pictures, not spending more time getting names, not spending enough time with some of the ladies. You are all my people. My heart is full.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: Eau Belle by Azzaro

What a marvelous, breathtaking thread! Thank you for sharing this wonderful experience and for the beautiful photos.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

Between two pine trees

Default Chicago Meet-Up Reports, May 25, 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I'm not about to question somebody named "ExtremeK" on this point.

No, really. Good show!!!
    I suppose I can be convinced there’s at least a double-entendre But to miss (or ignore) the “leather caning” meaning is to miss an important aspect of the fragrance, which I can’t imagine Turin’s doing. Bavard was more right than he might have realized when he characterized it as a heavy fragrance that wasn’t widely appealing

Also, I completely forgot to wish Quarry a happy birthday yesterday, which was my primary reason for logging in. And then, as usual, I got sidetracked.

Belated happy birthday wishes to one of BN’s best. I hope your day was exactly what you needed it to be, (((Quarry))).
    Currently wearing: Bracken Woman by Amouage

Basenotes Plus

What a great thread! I sooooo hope to attend the next meetup, wherever it may be! You all are such beautiful people. I'm proud to know you, and having some photos to attach to names is a delight.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Sounds like you and Jules really soaked up the city! I saw the Chicago cast two years ago, but never saw New York’s, so I can’t compare, but I think our Hamilton was the understudy. It was all I could do to keep myself from singing/rapping along; so amazing. And The Girl and the Goat is a favorite. Did you try the sheep belly?

I took my kiddos and Mr. Kotori to the Portillo’s on Ohio on Friday night and we had the Italian beef and the chopped salad. Mmm... then it was Pizzeria Due on Saturday night with a gelato stopover at Eataly— the kid-friendly Chicago adventure. (And Eataly has a few of the Santa Maria Novella line.) I do wish we’d taken the boys on the architectural tour while in town. We made a fire in the pit last night after dock fishing on the Fox River at sundown. Off to a barbecue with the in-laws next.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: Eau Belle by Azzaro

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast