Code of Conduct
o

Default EU members - Does your country have any shipping restrictions?

Here in the UK we're allowed to import fumes as individuals can buy what they want but can't send anything out of the country at all. Some companies can get HAZMAT shipping accounts however that allow them to send as much fragrance as they want wherever they want around the world but its quite expensive.

I was wondering if the situation is the same across Europe for members, meaning could you package up a fume and ship it across to the UK with no hassle/reasonable cost? If so what services do you normally use, how long do they take and whats the average cost for a 500g parcel?

Default Re: EU members - Does your country have any shipping restrictions?

I understand from Andy Tauer that he cannot ship perfumes to Holland: I don't know whether this is because Switzerland is not an E.U. country, or for some other reason.

Sweden have no restrictions or border control of any kind.

Once the shipment reaches Sweden though, the parcel is left to domestic postal services and anything can happen.
    (delays, poor handling, theft)

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    I understand from Andy Tauer that he cannot ship perfumes to Holland
    Cannot or will not? Tauer don't ship to the UK either.

I think with Tauer its due to him already having distribution rights secured in some countries via one store/site so he doesn't want to undercut/bite into their revenue by allowing direct to consumer sales from his web store.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    I think with Tauer its due to him already having distribution rights secured in some countries via one store/site so he doesn't want to undercut/bite into their revenue by allowing direct to consumer sales from his web store.
    That would make sense. I guess it would be a bit unfair to undercut Les Senteurs in the UK.
    He does ship to the US, though I wonder if he has some kind of arrangement with someone like Luckyscent to handle his shipping?

Anyway, back to your question...

Quote Originally Posted by tony_i View Post
    Cannot or will not? Tauer don't ship to the UK either.
    The UK is still a member of the EU...

The UK is still a member of the EU...
    But that's not relevant.

I still remember shipping perfumes to Europe, the USA, Mexico and everywhere else, before they took our freedoms!

There also was no need to queue up at the counter and all the other fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by tony_i View Post
    But that's not relevant.
    It's essential!

Explain!
    You'd need to explain why you think it's relevant and then I'll be able to tell you why it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    I still remember shipping perfumes to Europe, the USA, Mexico and everywhere else, before they took our freedoms!

There also was no need to queue up at the counter and all the other fuss.
    Or getting a third degree interrogation about the contents...

Here in France I can send perfumes abroad without any trouble - for the time being. i think officially it isn't allowed (I was once questioned on the contents of my parcel) but no one seems to check, and perfumes arrive safely at their destination. Long may it continue.

Apart from the FedEx-like Coliposte service, the only option for international parcels is Colissimo, which I suppose would be same as ParcelForce in the UK. It's expensive: about 13 Euros within Europe for a small tracked package weighing less than 500g, rising to about 23 Euros for the US etc.
    Last edited by saminlondon; 26th May 2019 at 10:59 AM.

I understand from Andy Tauer that he cannot ship perfumes to Holland: I don't know whether this is because Switzerland is not an E.U. country, or for some other reason.
    He sends samples to Holland, that's for sure!
    Currently wearing: Mister Marvelous by Byredo

Yes, we are not allowed to send perfumes per Post in Germany (not even inland post).
    Of course we still send and receive them but legally speaking it is not allowed.
    I have never had problems sending or receiving an inland package but theoretically speaking this could happen any time.
    It is different when you send or when you receive something from abroad, especially outside the EU and mainly from the USA.
    In case you send something abroad you have to fill a form. Perfumes are excluded because they are "potential explosives and hazard cargo" thus a i have never marked them as perfumes. I have experienced s few major disappointments with perfumes coming from the USA which were never delivered (i recall at least 5 such episodes).
    German custom services are very careful and they destroy them as they enter the country without giving you a feed back. About 2 years ago i wanted to send to a fellow base noter from the USA his swap bottle. This was hold at the german customs and destroyed. I have received a note informing me that sending perfumes abroad is illegal.
    Since then i haven't tried to send or buy a perfume from the USA.
    EU countries haven't been a problem yet but i have bought my last bottle from the UK abut 3 years ago so i am not sure about the actual status there.
    Another non european country i have had problems receiving perfumes is Singapore. I have bought 3 years ago perfumes from a fellow basenoter from Singapore and it has worked well two or three times. The forth one didn't work, i have never received them and even if we both tried to find out what happened and where the package has been stopped, we haven't manage to get any informations.
    Now, about the prices of parcels: here in Germany they have become extremely expensive since 01.01.2019. I think that it costs about 18 Euros to send a small parcel to the EU
    (with tracking code). Smaller ones could be sent with a normal envelope in the past. From the 01.012019 we are allowed to send only letters in normal envelopes. Everything else should be sent in parcels.

Quote Originally Posted by Shemelimelle View Post
    Monsieur Montana, I see this subject is awfully complicated. How often are these rules subject to change??

Bottles held at customs and destroyed. yelp!
    Yes it is. I really have no idea.

Yeah, I get the full works when sending out frags at the postal office.
    To send around the UK, they're meant to be less than 100ml and in 'manufacturers original packaging'. Flat no to sending abroad now.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Yeah, I get the full works when sending out frags at the postal office.
    To send around the UK, they're meant to be less than 100ml and in 'manufacturers original packaging'. Flat no to sending abroad now.
    They need the ID8000 restricted goods label attached as well. Pretty sure they can only be carried via land.

I send out a lot of perfumes via my Ebay business account and the lady at my local post office refused to take two of my parcels as they thought they were overweight and exceeded the 150ml limit - I had to tell a little white lie and say they were gift sets when in fact they were 200ml.

double post
    Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

im wondering the same about shipping perfumes inside the EU from france. does it have to be using a ground method? which companies allow shipping perfumes? any limit to the size of perfume bottle?
    Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Basenotes Junkie

Hm... I remember I bought fragrances from UK either in December 2018 or in January-February 2019...