Code of Conduct

Default Creating a leather fragrance to use on...leather

Hi everyone I want to jump straight into my question: the smell of leather comes from dyes and parfum used to give leather the smell it is known for; that's why we have Moroccan leather smell and an Italian leather smell. Now my question is pertaining a deep penetration into leathers. For instance, Frye boots are known for their smell, a smell that immunities from my boots well after six months from purchase and wearings. How is this achieved? Of course long lasting accords of leather would be ideal to perhaps soak the leather in, but even then it seems from my research the smell would be gone after a few weeks, but this smell lingers much longer.

Banned

Default Re: Creating a leather fragrance to use on...leather

Long ago, when kings and queens ruled, Perfumers would soak their leather gloves in fragrance materials, for the rulers to have, scented gloves. Boots are likely not too much different.

I do know, that the leather specialty accord sold at PSH, the manufacturer has a different non safe IFRA version, that is in fact used to spray onto leather, to give it the leather aroma. So, the IFRA safe version sold at PSH is extremely close to the industrial version of the same scent, and is quite usable for Leather scents. I use it quite a bit as part of leather accords in fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Long ago, when kings and queens ruled, Perfumers would soak their leather gloves in fragrance materials, for the rulers to have, scented gloves. Boots are likely not too much different.

I do know, that the leather specialty accord sold at PSH, the manufacturer has a different non safe IFRA version, that is in fact used to spray onto leather, to give it the leather aroma. So, the IFRA safe version sold at PSH is extremely close to the industrial version of the same scent, and is quite usable for Leather scents. I use it quite a bit as part of leather accords in fragrances.
    You're talking about Spanish Skin I believe; that is about what I was thinking the process to be. Thank you for you insight Mr. Kiler.

Hah that's an amazing bit of info. Does this leather smell like real leather, or is it real leather made to smell like what your real leather expectations are or is it fake real leather meant to smell like.. oh my head hurts...

Quote Originally Posted by aberdeengrey View Post
    Hah that's an amazing bit of info. Does this leather smell like real leather, or is it real leather made to smell like what your real leather expectations are or is it fake real leather meant to smell like.. oh my head hurts...
    LOL Yes Aberdeen- I was wondering if I have smelled leaher at all in the last few years. If it's not reminiscent of cleaning leather with saddle soap than maybe not...

Banned

The Non-IFRA version of the Leather base sold at PSH is used to give the leather odor to both fake, and cheaper leather products and garments.

I come from three generations of Leather people, plus my great great grandfather made shoes, so add another generation. I grew up in the Tandy Leather store, nearly. It was one of my most cherished excursions, to go to Tandy and SMELL the store. And I worked with and later taught Leathercrafting for 15 years. My mom was my teacher. My Grandfather worked for a Leather craft tool manufacturer.

Mr. Mookerjee did some GC work on tanned leather in the 1970's. I have the papers. I sent the papers BACK to IFF, where they originated, (IFF bought the company that Mookerjee worked for). The chemists at IFF said that all of these leather odor molecules could not be used on skin, as found in the original studies, and now, 30-40 years later.

So, after my exhaustive odor research on leather odorants and chemistry, I stumbled across the name of the base from the company that is now sold at PSH. It took me another 3-4 years to find out who made the base named as such. I bought it, and was happy to learn that it was a good smelling and a skin safe product to use in Perfumery.
    But even with that said, I have 40+ materials that I use to convey the scent of leather now. Some natural, some single molecules, some bases, and a few bases that I've made up myself. So, all that to say, that since we can't exactly use the same molecules that are the smells we adore from tanned leather, we can find, with research, effort, and experience, materials that convey the ideas of "Leather". Fortunately for you, I've done the legwork to bring you this base sold at PSH, if you like it, employ it. If you don't like it, then make up your own, based on your own research.
    Last edited by pkiler; 28th May 2019 at 04:52 PM.