Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Default A fresh, clean, sparkling grapefruit please!

Inhaled BdC when I was out and about the other day and the grapefruit note really stood out as it projected so fiercely in the warmth and the accord itself was so crisp and it got me wondering as I can't really think of many other scents in which it stars as I've often neglected it for the other more common citrus elements.

What would you say is the best scent you've experienced that uses the note in a fresh, clean, sparkling way? As always performance is important as I know there are a few crackers out there that last milliseconds on skin (Pamplemousse Rose, looking at you!) so I'd prefer to avoid them as we walk the olfactive tightrope strung between smell and substantivity.

Go!

Freed from BN Institution

Default Re: A fresh, clean, sparkling grapefruit please!

One recent example that I tried was Community from The Zoo. It has a prominent grapefruit note at the opening.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Also adding TDH Eau Tres Fraiche-while the grapefruit is not that dominant, this note is still there at least during the top and mid section, plus all the other notes manage to remaining clean, fresh, sparkling enough for summer/warm weather

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

A lot of older Kenneth Cole masculine scents from the 2000's prominently featured grapefruit as it was a favorite note of his. The original Kenneth Cole New York Men (2002) had it in a swirl of ozonic fruit, Kenneth Cole Black (2003) mixed it with mint, Kenneth Cole Reaction (2004) had some cucumber in with the grapefruit, and Kenneth Cole Signature (2005) uses a woodier cypress base with a nice grapefruit standing tall.

If KC and the Sunshine Frag isn't your kind of bag, I might also recommend Pomelo Paradis by Atelier Cologne (2015), but performance may be a bit suspect because of the house. There are other designers from the 2000's that used grapefruit too, since it was en vogue then, I just need more time to think on it.
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Junkie

Atelier Cologne Pomelo Paradis is magnificent!
    It's like some one chopped grapefruit in front of you - smells so natural
    Last edited by Zizzy; 27th May 2019 at 12:33 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    One recent example that I tried was Community from The Zoo. It has a prominent grapefruit note at the opening.
    *adds to list to sample* Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Also adding TDH Eau Tres Fraiche-while the grapefruit is not that dominant, this note is still there at least during the top and mid section, plus all the other notes manage to remaining clean, fresh, sparkling enough for summer/warm weather
    I had this on the splits a while back, decent fragrance but I don't recall the grapefruit being that big. Will have to resample next time I'm out and about as I remember it being a happier version of the brooding original.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    A lot of older Kenneth Cole masculine scents from the 2000's prominently featured grapefruit as it was a favorite note of his. The original Kenneth Cole New York Men (2002) had it in a swirl of ozonic fruit, Kenneth Cole Black (2003) mixed it with mint, Kenneth Cole Reaction (2004) had some cucumber in with the grapefruit, and Kenneth Cole Signature (2005) uses a woodier cypress base with a nice grapefruit standing tall.

If KC and the Sunshine Frag isn't your kind of bag
    , I might also recommend Pomelo Paradis by Atelier Cologne (2015), but performance may be a bit suspect because of the house. There are other designers from the 2000's that used grapefruit too, since it was en vogue then, I just need more time to think on it.
    Bwahahahahahahah! Subtle yet effective!

I haven't inhaled any of KCs wares, ever, so will check them out and get some sampling done. That AC offering however i did try along with the rest of their ephemeral range and it was one of the prime reasons for my opening caveat.

Quote Originally Posted by Zizzy View Post
    It's like some one chopped grapefruit on a kitchen in front of you - smells so natural
    While it lasts! Can't stand weak scents. Amusingly I dislike blaring foghorns as well. Gotta be just right.

Goldilocks up in this piece!

Try and get your nose on Cartier's Declaration l'Eau, mate. All about the grapefruit and a beauty too. Muted but persistent after a couple of hours.

Pomleo paradis is proba ly the only grapefruit proper that iv tried, but atelier has a lot better frags that i would rather buy first. Now a decant or a sample i would be happy to have

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

Escape, perhaps?
    THE COLOGNNOISSEUR
    OMAHA, NE
    USA

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestbrummie View Post
    Try and get your nose on Cartier's Declaration l'Eau, mate. All about the grapefruit and a beauty too. Muted but persistent after a couple of hours.
    That looks interesting, nice one bud. Will update once I grab a sample.

Quote Originally Posted by satyen View Post
    Pomleo paradis is proba ly the only grapefruit proper that iv tried, but atelier has a lot better frags that i would rather buy first. Now a decant or a sample i would be happy to have
    Its the only way to be!

Quote Originally Posted by The Colognnoisseur View Post
    Escape, perhaps?
    Used to really enjoy this one back in the days but to me it was heavy on the melon. Such an excellent scent. Off topic but I really do wish that someone would take the structure of those old CK scents, give them a once over to modernize them a bit, sprinkle on a bit of a niche twist and remake them using higher quality ingredients. Parfums de Marly where art thou?

I'm not one to say something smells "synthetic" as that barb is thrown around way too often and is a bit strange considering how aromachemical approximations work anyway as they're all synthetic but when I rested Escape last year that was the first word that came to mind because the accords that once smelled like a lush and dense 3D scene were now perceived like a cheap, dusty stage set dressed up with thin 2D plastic prints of fruit stretched to almost breaking point with masses of empty space between. Eugh!

Reforms in full effect? Increased olfactive experience? Removed the rose tinted specs from my nostrils? Or have I literally became Mr Snooty?

Mercedes Benz Cologne as it's all about its sharp opening and it doesn't change nearly as much as a lot of citruses as it dries down.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    That looks interesting, nice one bud. Will update once I grab a sample.
    I can sort you a sample if you can sort me a spray to put it in, haha! I'll have a browse of the splits first as it's high time I treated myself to something new...

I might try layering this with the original tonight to see how that works.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mfinz8 View Post
    Mercedes Benz Cologne as it's all about its sharp opening and it doesn't change nearly as much as a lot of citruses as it dries down.
    That sounds perfect, thanks.

I can sort you a sample if you can sort me a spray to put it in, haha! I'll have a browse of the splits first as it's high time I treated myself to something new...
    Nice one bud, much appreciated!

I smell juicy grapefruit in Dior Homme Cologne, and get about 5-6 hours on hot days.

I think my only grapefruit fragrance--which I absolutely love to pieces--is Lalique Pour Homme, but that ends up being much more about cedar than grapefruit, though the grapefuit note does stick around long enough to shape the fragrance.

I would imagine that it's hard to sustain such a delicate note as grapefruit, which, in real life, is more ephemeral and less pungent than other citruses. I would love a scent that really captured its refreshing, light bitterness and could somehow sustain it.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dmnw View Post
    I smell juicy grapefruit in Dior Homme Cologne, and get about 5-6 hours on hot days.
    Performance wasn't up to par for me with this one, thanks for the contribution though.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I think my only grapefruit fragrance--which I absolutely love to pieces--is Lalique Pour Homme, but that ends up being much more about cedar than grapefruit, though the grapefuit note does stick around long enough to shape the fragrance.

I would imagine that it's hard to sustain such a delicate note as grapefruit, which, in real life, is more ephemeral and less pungent than other citruses. I would love a scent that really captured its refreshing, light bitterness and could somehow sustain it.
    The Lalique was way too mature for me but I fully agree with your last bit about wishing a scent could capture the aroma profile of the real thing but extended a bit without making it smell thick as its a captivating accord. Much zingy! Such wow!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Performance wasn't up to par for me with this one, thanks for the contribution though.

The Lalique was way too mature for me but I fully agree with your last bit about wishing a scent could capture the aroma profile of the real thing but extended a bit without making it smell thick as its a captivating accord. Much zingy! Such wow!
    Me likely a lot of mature stuff, so while you and I have areas of agreement--like the luminous floral honey woodyamber goodness of L'Envol--our paths ultimately diverge! My tastes always skew a bit formal and retro: I like my fountain pens and vintage wristwatches and blazers worn with pocket squares. (I do have my limits, though; I couldn't get along with the widely admired Habit Rouge, which had me feeling a bit *too* old when I applied it.)

But, yeah, most of the grapefuit notes I've smelled feel a little thick and syrupy in that synthetic sort of way. Not that I can't get along with synthetics, but I consume enough fresh citrus throughout the week that the distinction between the real deal and the more artificial, almost candied citrus you get in a lot of modern creations is always immediately apparent to me.

I'd love something that did for grapefruit what the original Eau Sauvage does for lemon: just a refreshing, immediately recognizable, natural-smelling citrus blast that hangs out for an hour and then slowly gives way to a green base.

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Me likely a lot of mature stuff, so while you and I have areas of agreement--like the luminous floral honey woodyamber goodness of L'Envol--our paths ultimately diverge! My tastes always skew a bit formal and retro: I like my fountain pens and vintage wristwatches and blazers worn with pocket squares. (I do have my limits, though; I couldn't get along with the widely admired Habit Rouge, which had me feeling a bit *too* old when I applied it.)

But, yeah, most of the grapefuit notes I've smelled feel a little thick and syrupy in that synthetic sort of way. Not that I can't get along with synthetics, but I consume enough fresh citrus throughout the week that the distinction between the real deal and the more artificial, almost candied citrus you get in a lot of modern creations is always immediately apparent to me.

I'd love something that did for grapefruit what the original Eau Sauvage does for lemon: just a refreshing, immediately recognizable, natural-smelling citrus blast that hangs out for an hour and then slowly gives way to a green base.
    That’s the DSH to a T.

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    That’s the DSH to a T.
    Good to know!

I'll add it to my to-sample list.

Current Favorites

Un Jardin Sur Le Nil? Grapefruit-mango-lotus, unisex, great lift and performance
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

User of Toilet Water

In perfumery does pomelo = grapefruit? Certainly not the same thing in real life. For me, Pomelo Paradis lasts a lot longer than Concentre Pamplemousse Rose, but the Atelier smells more like shampoo. The Hermes is divine for the miliseconds, as the OP correctly says, that it lasts.

Roja Dove - "Elysium Pour Homme Parfum Cologne"

Quite nuclear performance on my skin and I got pretty much nothing but grapefruit from it.

House of Sillage - HoS N.002
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

This is a very good one.

Dependent

BDC.jpg

+1

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Zizzy View Post
    It's like some one chopped grapefruit in front of you - smells so natural
    This.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

pamplemousse is one of my favorite words in French, LOL.

M; Men by Masaki Matsushima

I sampled Loewe PH Special (Espesiale???) Sport Edition a couple of years ago and thought the grapefruit note was well paired with sea salt and woods. I never bought a bottle, but did enjoy the sample.

A number of the Paul Smith Summer flankers have a nicely done grapefruit note.

I did try the Comme de Garcons Energy C Grapefruit a while back and was underwhelmed... The Lemon and the Lime are definitely the stars of that show.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Lyric Man by Amouage