Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: why is your favorite, your favorite?

I can’t state a favourite as I wear something different every day. But I love leathery, resinous, sweet scents in general. I’m a big fan of vintage Antaeus as well.

Basenotes Plus

My absolute favorite is a true unicorn that I'm still looking for a bottle of and there's hardly any information about, unlike the many so called unicorns that you can find plenty of examples of and information but just ask insane prices. Also, by and large, I don't commit to a singular fragrance as I like many things. My favorite genre is fougeres, with shining examples from among the many styles of fougere. I enjoy the cleanliness of them mixed with earthiness or spices etc. They can be coniferous to the point you close your eyes and transport to a forest in the Midwest, or a Louisiana swamp covered in Spanish moss, or like shaving cream or spicy soap. A near endless amount of possibilities.

Sometimes a favorite can be not just because it smelled nice but because it reminds me of someone special. My dad didn't wear fragrance much, but the smell of vintage Noxzema shave cream from the old cobalt blue jar takes me right back to fond memories of me being a kid watching him shave and how I'd practice doing it with my plastic toy razor. Or sometimes the favorite can be linked to an event, such as a vacation. A few years ago we were planning a family vacation to Disney World in Orlando and I wanted to bring 2 fragrances. One that I could wear daily, and a decant of something to wear for any special dinners out. I was undecided, and then my wife bought Banana Republic 78 Vintage Green. I smelled it and thought, "it's alright but not kicking anything out of my wardrobe." but I agreed to bring it and not worry over any fragrances since the trip isn't about that anyway. I wore it every single day for a week, overspraying it each day, and it turned out to be a perfect choice for the climate and place. Now whenever I smell it, I'm always reminded of that Disney trip and it will hold a special place because of that trip. Sometimes the fragrance is special just cause it's what got us started (even though they smell good)... like Avon's Wild Country being by first bottle.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Basenotes Plus

There are fragrances such as D'Aurum D'Angkhor, that I love, but they are so heavy, ponderous, that they demand a lot of attention. Sometimes the so-called "dumb reach" is desirable.

I just have no fragrance I like every day. The variation seems key, and often the favorite 1 is heavy, favorite 2 is light and airy and easier...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    If you enjoy this kind of vanilla, you ought to give Indult Tihota a try. It's the ultimate vanilla experience.
    Thanks N.Cal. I'll check it out..

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    At the moment, my favorite is 31 Rue Cambon EDT. I like the buttery jasmine blended with the introspective iris and somewhat ashy patchouli. Taken together, it smells beautiful and classy and understated. It doesn’t shout. It also reminds me a lot of spring narcissus/daffodil in the floral heart, with the same rubbery yellow smell. That note makes me happy; makes me anticipate winter ending soon.
    I'm with you, Kotori! 31 Rue Cambon is my favorite. Unlike you, I find it more of a fall/winter scent, due to its smooth, lived in cashmere feel (iris!). The yellow florals are sexy and warm, as is the non sweet vanilla in the dry down. It's perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    If you enjoy this kind of vanilla, you ought to give Indult Tihota a try. It's the ultimate vanilla experience.
    I second this, Tihota is beautiful.

I love POLO because it hits so many notes and does it so well, for me. Leather, pine, tobacco, oakmoss (or an imitation anyway, lol). It has this green scent that is layered with a more dirty earthy scent....such a great, unexpected balance, IMO
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    I go back and forth daily on which is my absolute favorite scent.
    Today I mentioned Basenotes's "desert island" type threads two persons. Today I wore ODLR Pour Lui.
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Dependent

Givenchy Pi2.jpg

Because I never get tired of it, it's sooo sexy!

Basenotes Junkie

M7 V1, because.... it's the best

I would have to go with vintage Egoiste.

The vintage just has a dense creaminess that is lost in the current version. It is pure sandalwood goodness that smells equally in place with a suit or jeans and a tee shirt and is an incredibly well put together fragrance. Being a classic and not smelling dated is a tough line to walk and to me it accomplishes that without a doubt.
    Currently wearing: Oligarch by Roja Dove

It's impossible for me to whittle down to one favorite, but off of the top of my head, Gucci pour Homme is just amazing. I once heard it described as "sex potion," and I believe that description to be apt.

Great thread! Just now reviewing it with pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    Yatagan. Performance not too heavy, but present a long time. Outdoorsy and classy at the same time. Cool bottle, cool name, historic company. Good price. Piney and animalic without smashing your face in it. Versatile enough to be my solo signiture. Manly as f***.
    This is my selection, and I have the same basic reasoning.

I've also been flirting with something on the other end of the spectrum, Patou Ma Liberte, and the reason there is outright beauty, depth of construction and smoothness. It's a little on the sweeter/prettier side compared to much of my wardrobe, and it has a pretty substantial heliotrope note, which I don't typically love (or I haven't in the past). I often have trouble feeling comfortable in such straightforwardly "pretty" scents (particularly when it comes to heliotrope), but Ma Liberte somehow combines that prettiness with an affable fougere/lavender backbone that's neither formal nor crass, and not overly powdery...just perfectly wearable any time. A welcoming and open scent for either gender.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    1. what is your "favorite" fragrance at the moment

2. why? What is it you like about it?

Your turn!
    I have a variety of favorite scents but my perennial favorite will always be Black orchid. Why? Im a bit different from the other fellas here.. I like something that makes me feel sultry, like a 'demigod'. yeah im a man, but I like the seductive 'power' I feel from it (kind of like Sharon Stone's persona in Basic Instinct). The scent always matches my attire , physical look, and demeanor at night in the public. (if im not with anyone else mind you).
    It is my alter-ego fragrance.
    Parfum de Marly Oajan

Basenotes Plus

Today Etude en Fougere by Sultan Pasha is my favorite. It is both very animalic and also serious citrusy and lavender and the notes add up to something great, indescribable but I am constantly noticing and loving it. I love the combination of serious animalics and herbs and fougere notes.

Missing Oakmoss

L'Heure Bleue (any vintage iteration, especially parfum and PDT), because it truly evokes the wistfulness and promise of twilight, the shimmering moment when one thing passes and another stirs. It's the most touching, tender fragrance I know, unutterably beautiful and rich with interior moments...I would actually characterize it as wise.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    I can’t state a favourite as I wear something different every day. But I love leathery, resinous, sweet scents in general.
    I concur with this sentiment.

Basenotes Plus

.................................... Penn's old stomping grounds
    Blog Entries

I used to have "favorite". Not since I've taken perfumery more "seriously" have I discovered, there is no such thing, for me. Every time I rotate 15 or so scents do I discover a new "favorite". More like, a new crush. A newfound appreciation. A minor rediscovery. I may be wearing something I haven't worn in over a year. I may totally discover some new "thing" about it, I had not noticed before. That, is one of the beauties of owning so many bottles and decants -- Rediscovery, new infatuations...
    Sono strano e sono orgoglioso di essorlo...

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

IMG_20181205_225447_868.jpg

Explained in another thread, but this is just effortlessly classy and romantic, comforting and sophisticated. A leather chypre and an oriental in one.

Avon Black Suede (1980)
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Wild Country by Avon

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mistersurgery View Post
    It's impossible for me to whittle down to one favorite, but off of the top of my head, Gucci pour Homme is just amazing. I once heard it described as "sex potion," and I believe that description to be apt.
    Are you referring to Gucci Pour Homme 1976 or 2003?
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Great thread! Just now reviewing it with pleasure.

This is my selection, and I have the same basic reasoning.

I've also been flirting with something on the other end of the spectrum, Patou Ma Liberte, and the reason there is outright beauty, depth of construction and smoothness. It's a little on the sweeter/prettier side compared to much of my wardrobe, and it has a pretty substantial heliotrope note, which I don't typically love (or I haven't in the past). I often have trouble feeling comfortable in such straightforwardly "pretty" scents (particularly when it comes to heliotrope), but Ma Liberte somehow combines that prettiness with an affable fougere/lavender backbone that's neither formal nor crass, and not overly powdery...just perfectly wearable any time. A welcoming and open scent for either gender.
    Good reading, as always. Maybe Ma Liberte is a little on the sweet side early on - does that go away? When I’ve worn it, I’ve enjoyed it much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Maybe Ma Liberte is a little on the sweet side early on - does that go away? When I’ve worn it, I’ve enjoyed it much the same.
    Well, now I have to wear it again (doesn't take much convincing with this one!)...La Liberte is one that bears repeated wearing because it's so intricate yet cohesive, and somewhat difficult to pick apart. The opening is definitely the sweetest phase, there's a slight lemon creamsicle thing going on due to the lemon/heliotrope, and also a fairly prominent jasmine. The lemon dries out and the heliotrope recedes pretty quickly, and despite the sweet and luxurious nature of the evening, it never wears heavily, which is key.

It does dry out fairly quickly, with lavender and nice buttery, powdery sandalwood fougere base picking up steam. Lots of spices noted in the pyramid, but I don't really get them as standalone notes - just a slight seasoning to the powder. "Soft and buttery" is the main impression.

The base is oddly reminding me of the great Dunhill Edition, which has a similar buttery sandalwood fougere thing going on. That one's more dry, and the opening is totally different (spicy and herbal vs floral and creamy), but the bones are along similar lines.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Yes, that was beautifully put. L'HB is like the memory of a place and time that you will never experience again, but ineffably enriched you.

Daily go-to - Ginger Essence, goes with everything and is a pleasure to wear. Completely linear, but fizzy, enervating, and delicious.