Code of Conduct

Default Spectacles/eyewar - looking for communities like basenotes

Coming of age means a need for glasses, at least for me. Im a total newbie and dont know what to look for, or where. But I suspect there is a world out there with quality/style beyond the big chains.

Can you recommend any community or specific brands to look into? I think Im into small round/oval frames, metal and with a somewhat raw look... "Hand made".

Whats the Fazzolari/Roja/Kurkdjian/etc of eyeware frames?

Thanks in advance!
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Default Re: Spectacles/eyewar - looking for communities like basenotes

Most of the glasses frames in the world are made by the same manufacturers, so if you want artisan craftsmanship you'll have to look pretty hard (and probably pay a pretty penny, too).
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Hritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Hommage L'Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men (vintage), Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite

Basenotes Plus

My friends daughter manages a Warby Parker store in Boston, but I see that the co-founder was born just outside Stockholm. Check them out. They happen to be relatively inexpensive.

And, as Brooks noted, you may want to try doing a search for “glasses not made by Luxottica”.

Thanks for the advice. I have never heard of Luxottica, and you suggestion to avoid that led me to a long list of indie brands.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Basenotes Junkie

Dita
    Parfum de Marly Oajan

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Most of the glasses frames in the world are made by the same manufacturers, so if you want artisan craftsmanship you'll have to look pretty hard (and probably pay a pretty penny, too).
    This is very true.

Look at Dita and Jacques Marie Mage.

One word of advice, do your research if the country of origin is important to you. Just because someone is an independent optician or on-trend spectacle seller doesn't mean the goods are assembled in their basement or a workshop by tattooed, bearded hipsters* drinking yerba mate and listening to obscure music. Likelihood is that the manufacture is outsourced - you can get extremely decent quality frames from China for around 10$ wholesale. Sourcing the material, investing in the machinery and making them from scratch on the other hand is a very costly endeavour and likely unfeasable.

Also, 'Made in Italy' or 'Made in Japan' isn't that much of a hallmark anymore. I reckon that over 80% of the world's spectacle frames are made in China nowadays, and for good reason - they are simply very good, made to spec in state of the art facilities, and highly competitive in price. Furthermore, all spectacles are hand made to a certain degree. QC and final assembly must be done by hand because the technology to fit arms onto the eyepiece automatically isn't there yet.

Luxottica is a massive company, and now that they have merged with Essilor command a quarter of the global optical spectacle market share. I reckon that may be more impressive than Estee Lauder in the cosmetic / fragrance world (Kurkdjian who you mention is also now owned by EL). They may have bought out indies like Oliver Peoples, but at least you're going to get QC and consistency by going with frames made by them. They have a mix of both Italian and Chinese factories, but the manufacture of their high volume stuff is being shifted to The Far East.

Fun fact: I can see you're from Stockholm. Have a look whether there aren't any independents in your home country, or other Nordic countries. Scandinavian fashion sense when it comes to spectacles is a bit less conventional, so there should be niche players catering to those tastes. Not a Nordic country, but I found that there were some stores that seemed like independent showrooms in Amsterdam.

Source: Me. I work the optical industry for business present in several markets, including Northern Europe.

*No offence to bearded hipsters with tattoos and with a liking of yerba mate and obscure music