Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Men's Wallets - What do you carry?

Just wondering what kind of wallets you all carry and what you think is the best. Something utilitarian or statement-making? Designer or inexpensive? Large or small? Leather or canvas? I personally enjoy designer wallets and LOVE fine leather. My daily is a Bottega Veneta bifold in black intrecciato leather. I also have a Montblanc card case for a more streamlined/minimalist look. Thanks all for sharing!

Default Re: Men's Wallets - What do you carry?

I like nice leather. I don't like designer markups.

I got my wallet on Etsy. A black bifold with red leather interior (business on the outside, party on the inside). Very nicely made.

If I had more disposable income, I might go for something like this:

8a9b28dd6c13ed879eab40904b43125b.jpg
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

I have a tri-fold wallet. I need to go down to a bi-fold because a tri is just too damn bulky.
    But I use it anyway because it's a nice, brown leather Cincinnati REDS wallet and I rep the Big Red Machine any and every way I can!
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Basenotes Junkie

I use card holder only, since in Sweden you don't need cash at all.
    Mine is from Michael Kors.
    Would be willing to throw 250 EUR for LV one, but my friend rocks it so I don't want to have the same one.
    Regarding designer markup - I think it's totally worth the money since it gonna last you for years

Quote Originally Posted by Zizzy View Post
    Regarding designer markup - I think it's totally worth the money since it gonna last you for years
    Buy what you want, but my thinking is this: when I can get a beautiful, handmade creation without the markup, why should I pay for the designer branding?

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Basenotes Junkie

I like the looks of a Montblanc card holder or wallet. I also like Ferragamo
    Parfum de Marly Oajan

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I like nice leather. I don't like designer markups.

I got my wallet on Etsy. A black bifold with red leather interior (business on the outside, party on the inside). Very nicely made.

If I had more disposable income, I might go for something like this:

8a9b28dd6c13ed879eab40904b43125b.jpg
    Sounds very nice. And that wallet is gorgeous!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I have a tri-fold wallet. I need to go down to a bi-fold because a tri is just too damn bulky.
    But I use it anyway because it's a nice, brown leather Cincinnati REDS wallet and I rep the Big Red Machine any and every way I can!

I never liked tri-folds.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by debussychopin View Post
    I like the looks of a Montblanc card holder or wallet. I also like Ferragamo
    Yes, both are nice. Montblanc has some very fine quality leather goods.

Faure Le Page is quickly becoming the 'new' Moynat which is becoming the 'new' Louis Vuitton from what I can see. I like their fishscale motif.

My piece (sorry for the stock photo):

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    Faure Le Page is quickly becoming the 'new' Moynat which is becoming the 'new' Louis Vuitton from what I can see. I like their fishscale motif.

My piece (sorry for the stock photo):

That looks to be the exact same as mine. Beautiful craftsmanship.

Basenotes Junkie

^those botega veneta leather goods for men are very elegant. I always wanted one whenever I am in one of their boutiques.
    Parfum de Marly Oajan

Basenotes Junkie

^those botega veneta leather goods for men are very elegant. I always wanted one whenever I am in one of their boutiques.
    If you can afford it, i say go for it. I've been loving mine so far (granted, I've had it for only about half a year). Sometimes, I will just hold it in my hand to feel the leather.

I highly recommend the Dunhill Sidecar collection of leather goods. The quality of the leather is fantastic and the design is understated elegance. I've downsized from the trifold that I carried for 15 years (and is still intact) to the card case, forcing myself to travel with 6-7 cards and my ID. I discovered that most of the cards I was carrying were loyalty cards to stores I rarely frequented. I collected a few of the matching accessories from this collection.

Dunhill will cover the cost of repair even after many years. If you are after something a bit more durable and sporty, Tumi makes some very nice ballistic nylon wallets that hold up well.

proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Beautiful examples.

I still have an old Italian wallet, but just bought a Bottega Veneta card holder on sale
    https://www.bottegaveneta.com/us/car...6615720cq.html

(note, this is not the regular intrecciato, but sort of a printed intrecciato)

cacio

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Beautiful examples.

I still have an old Italian wallet, but just bought a Bottega Veneta card holder on sale
    https://www.bottegaveneta.com/us/car...6615720cq.html

(note, this is not the regular intrecciato, but sort of a printed intrecciato)

cacio
    Interesting. The leather quality should be phenomenal, despite it not being woven. Not a bad price!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    I've been loving mine so far (granted, I've had it for only about half a year)
    I've had mine for three years and it's still as good as new. The intreciatto isn't fraying anywhere which was my biggest fear. And the craftsmanship is truly second to none.

The embossed motive is a little cheaper than the actual intrecciato, but still looks good. I also bought sneakers for my mom in the same embossed leather
    https://www.bottegaveneta.com/us/sne...1591404eg.html

Mine is metal. It’s steel with mesh hinge. From Stewart/Stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Hermès

Basenotes Junkie

If you can afford it, i say go for it. I've been loving mine so far (granted, I've had it for only about half a year). Sometimes, I will just hold it in my hand to feel the leather.
    oh I know. I would go for it of course..i live near the South coast plaza and their boutique is very nice..along with a lot of the other boutique stores there. Enjoy your wallet.
    Parfum de Marly Oajan

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I use a variety of designer exotic skin billfolds. The one I'm currently using is a Bottega Veneta alligator and lambskin wallet.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

alligator and lambskin sounds really luxurious!

Re Faure Le Page, i did not know the brand, so i just checked now. they (used to?) make weapons. They still have gun cases in the same motif as the wallet.

cacio

Basenotes Junkie

i live near the South coast plaza and their boutique is very nice..along with a lot of the other boutique stores there.
    I was just there today!

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    alligator and lambskin sounds really luxurious!

cacio
    The craftsmanship is top notch.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

wearing dad's aftershave™

My primary is a leather card wallet from Corter Leather of New England [link below]. I also keep my cash and some overflow stuff in a canvas zip wallet from Herschel Supply Co.

Since I cycle & transit everywhere, I have to keep anything I may need for the day on my person; I don't have the luxury of that rolling closet they call the automobile :-D

https://corterleather.com/collection...rd-card-wallet

I like sturdy, old school stuff. Thick hides. Heavy stitching. Nothing delicate or froo-froo for me.

/Acey
    Last edited by AceyMan; 30th May 2019 at 03:37 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Old bifold. It is holding up, no holes or anything. Probably time for an upgrade, I've been thinking. Pass this bad boy on to the mini-me. Etsy is an interesting route, but I'll prob just get some diesel or ck thing.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

I found a Bruno Magli billfold on clearance at Marshall's around Christmas for around $15. Love it. Should have bought the other one, too.

Basenotes Plus

Ditched my traditional leather Nike wallet a couple years ago in favor of a cell phone case with a pocket for my ID and credit cards, makes everything easier and I don't have to worry about my hips/back getting out of whack when sitting. I still keep the old wallet in my work bag for insurance cards and business credit cards but that's about it.
    Currently wearing: Jaguar Pace by Jaguar

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I use a variety of designer exotic skin billfolds. The one I'm currently using is a Bottega Veneta alligator and lambskin wallet.
    Bottega Veneta has phenomenal craftsmanship. I owned a BV crocodile leather cardholder, and I quite miss it. I would love to own another exotic skin wallet from that house when I have more money. What other houses for exotic skins do you recommend/enjoy?

Bottega Veneta has phenomenal craftsmanship. I owned a BV crocodile leather cardholder, and I quite miss it. I would love to own another exotic skin wallet from that house when I have more money. What other houses for exotic skins do you recommend/enjoy?
    Louis Vuitton and Hermes are two other brands whose exotic skin billfolds I enjoy.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Louis Vuitton and Hermes are two other brands whose exotic skin billfolds I enjoy.
    Which of the three brands mentioned do you find to have the highest quality, if any?

The quality of Hermes leather goods is impeccable. They have some of the best watch straps in the business.

Current Favorites