Code of Conduct
o

Default How much BETTER is the ribbed Guerlain Vetiver

How much BETTER is the ribbed Guerlain Vetiver if indeed it is than latter tall bottle iterations?
    Sorry my bad previous thread of same topic phantomly disappeared the important word!!
    Thank you
    Currently wearing: Encre Noire by Lalique

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: How much BETTER is the ribbed Guerlain Vetiver

So, I own:
    ribbed
    modern (2015, I think) EdT but not in the absolute latest format
    90's EdT
    90's EdC
    and currently waiting on an 80's or so EdC to arrive today.

You may easily smell the similarity between them all, but there are differences.

The EdC seems to have an animalic/sweet aspect to it which is awesome.
    The modern EdT is good stuff, rounded with an agreeable vetiver.
    The ribbed EdT is like the modern EdT, except the vetiver may be a bit more rootier/darker.

But I'd really need to smell these side by side to better compare them.

Edit: There also seems to be people talking about latest formulation/presentation type being weak.. which is concerning. Don't know if bottles just need to mature with time, or if the formulation did indeed change (again) and actually is weakened. Or placebo or something else. Who knows.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Having owned, used and still owning and using this one including in backups, all bought around 2009-2010 can say that this version remains decent and even good in the array, complexity and creativity of the actual notes, however not so much in performance, compared to any prior AND subsequent Guerlain Vetiver batch tested alike.

It remains therefore almost ideal (at least from a personal viewpoint) for understated wear as a skin scent, thus even appropriate for office or formal settings because of toning down the typical resinous, earthy note of vetiver fully present in this, but much less as a longevity/projection bomb.
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    The ribbed EdT is like the modern EdT, except the vetiver may be a bit more rootier/darker.
    That sounds like the one I have from the late 60s
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

I don't know about better, but like peeps I'd say there certainly are minor differences between the versions I've tried (old EdC, 2001 ribbed EdT, 2014 pre-Listerine bottle EdT) although I have to say, it's been kept relatively and admirably faithful throughout the years.

I sold my 2014 bottle because to me the 'tobacco' was a little more prominent that I was hoping for. I find the tobacco toned down quite a bit in my 2001 ribbed bottle, but otherwise quite similar - perhaps not as long lasting as the 2014. The older EdC that I had a decant of (epapsiou could speak to its age) was the most apparently different from the other two - indeed a little dirty, zero tobacco, but overall still obviously Guerlain Vetiver.

I like the ribbed better, but of course my preferences are pretty much irrelevant regarding whether or not you (or anyone else) will feel the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    There also seems to be people talking about latest formulation/presentation type being weak.. which is concerning. Don't know if bottles just need to mature with time, or if the formulation did indeed change (again) and actually is weakened. Or placebo or something else. Who knows.
    Yeah I think I fell prey to "not letting it mature" sent my 2018 wood top one straight back.

Thanks for the insights guys appreciated.
    Was around 70% gonna pull on a ribbed one - but I'm keen on the way the tabacco is presented to be honest.
    Lol don't wana have buyers guilt after hehe. Plus I've overdone on , acquiring like 15 bottles in the last 8 weeks. Lol giving up buying frags for Ramadan didn't happen!!!!

I'll hold out for some silver tops to pop up on eBay - this one I adore.