Code of Conduct
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Today I bought June 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Congrats on this acquisition!
    Thanks. It's a nice, light and refreshing one. Hope you have a chance to try it if you haven't already.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Yesterday, I bought a bottle of D&G Pour Homme. So many people praised it and said it's better than Intenso, which I already own. So I figured I'd try.
    Had a $10 off plus a 40% discount from CVS.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Luna Rossa Carbon by Prada

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Aventus Cologne by Creed 100ml EDP

Congrats Hednic!

Quote Originally Posted by mgrigoriev View Post
    Congrats Hednic!
    Thanks.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Aventus Cologne by Creed 100ml EDP

Grats! I was at the store recently and didn't even think about seeing if they had this one there until maybe after I had already left. D'oh!

Quote Originally Posted by Besscenza View Post
    Best thing released from Dior recently.
    Good stuff, . Getting a little mini of Gris Dior with it as well - another one to try, never tried it before.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Congrats
    Grazie~
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Recently and today...

Snagged a massive 200ml Fahrenheit - 1992 batch code.

----

Guerlain Vetiver - Surprisingly just popped up, 4.2oz / 125ml BNIB. Not sure of batch code yet, but it's 2000 - 2007 (or so) based on the box. Woo!

-------

And samples (mostly), but it got me excited - good chunk I've seen about but never tried before!

Not sure of the difference, if any, of the two Lagerfeld's.

dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme
    Congrats on your pickup of AHSEE!
    THE COLOGNNOISSEUR
    OMAHA, NE
    USA

Abercrombie and Fitch First Instinct
    THE COLOGNNOISSEUR
    OMAHA, NE
    USA

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Recently and today...

Snagged a massive 200ml Fahrenheit - 1992 batch code.

----

Guerlain Vetiver - Surprisingly just popped up, 4.2oz / 125ml BNIB. Not sure of batch code yet, but it's 2000 - 2007 (or so) based on the box. Woo!

-------

And samples (mostly), but it got me excited - good chunk I've seen about but never tried before!

Not sure of the difference, if any, of the two Lagerfeld's.

Congrats on your vintage haul Some of those carded samples are very rare finds, I wonder if they're still good.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bayrhum-Vetiver by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Yesterday, I bought a bottle of D&G Pour Homme. So many people praised it and said it's better than Intenso, which I already own. So I figured I'd try.
    Had a $10 off plus a 40% discount from CVS.

Congrats and enjoy
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Yesterday, Missoni Parfum Pour Homme 3.4oz.

Today, Chanel Bleu de Chanel EDP 10oz. I am seriously super excited to add this one to my collection. It's my first Chanel, as well as being the most expensive bottle in my collection. Not that price should dictate what our favorite bottles are, but this large of a purchase is extremely rare for me (no matter the hobby), so it feels like a momentous occasion to me. Kind of like I finally passed over an invisible threshold in my "perfumehood", as corny as that may sound.

This was a long and drawn out purchase for me, to be honest. I kept debating on weather to get the EDT, EDP, or the Parfum. I really like all three, and had tested all of them multiple times. On paper, on skin, side by side with tester vials, etc. Even in the store today, I had them all on skin and was sniffing away before finally deciding.

I hadn't planned on spending so much money today, but if you figure the cost per ml, this was the best way for me to go, as the EDT and Parfum only come in 5oz bottles as the largest size. The 10oz bottle was more expensive up front, but the cost to use the juice was less per usage, if that makes sense.

For my budget, the cash layout was huge (kinda scary really), but this bottle will probably last me the rest of my life, and give me a great "go to" fragrance for special occasions. Perhaps I gush too much, but this bottle really meant a lot to me for multiple reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
    The 10oz bottle was more expensive up front, but the cost to use the juice was less per usage, if that makes sense.
    Yeah, but if you don't use it all, then it's just money wasted. Are you going to bathe in it? I still have a 120ml bottle of Creed Himalaya that is over 10 years old and it's still not empty. It was my only fragrance for several years and I used to wear it almost to every day until I got a 75ml bottle of Aventus, which is now 7 years old and which still isn't empty. I wore the Aventus a lot, too. I don't know what I'd ever do with 300ml of any fragrance since I have so many at this point.

It would be one thing if the BdC was the only perfume that you had, but you seem to be acquiring a lot. And in your own list, you say, "Bottles seem to last longer than I expected..."

It's hard for me to not think that maybe some of that money could have gone to something else.

Good luck anyway.

While travelling Korea, bought a 5-piece Penhaligon's discovery set at Incheon's duty free: BB, JS, Halfeti, Empressa and Endymion, all 10-mls sprays
    Currently wearing: Brut by Fabergé

L'Instant de Guerlain pour homme, old bottle (2014)

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    It's hard for me to not think that maybe some of that money could have gone to something else.
    Like Creed, as you have purchased?

The money I spent on the Chanel couldn't have bought me either one the Creed bottles you own. Even comparing the full retail price of Chanel (what I did pay) to Fragrancenet prices of Creed (what I would have to pay).

Right now a 120ml bottle of Creed Himalaya is $280 on fragnet. More than I paid for the Chanel. 75ml bottles of Aventus are no longer produced, and currently 100ml bottles are $329 on the same website. Even the 50ml bottles are priced at $252, and that is still more than the Chanel cost me, and I got nearly 6 times the juice.

Plus, if I did that, I still wouldn't own BdC, and I wanted this in my collection. I mean I REALLY wanted this one. Perhaps some collectors that have been into fragrances for a long time can easily dismiss BdC as commonplace, generic, played out, a mass appealing designer mall fragrance, etc, and I understand why they would say those things, but I don't care. I wasn't into the hobby when BdC came out, so for me it it's a "recent" discovery (in the grand scheme of life), and one of the "dream" bottles I had when just starting out. It may sound corny, but it's true.

Sure, I have fragrances I like more than BdC but none of them have the same versatility and undeniable mass appeal of the Chanel. I also find the quality of BdC to be very nice. Even though I know it has synthetics in it (as most fragrances these days), I still feel it smells very well blended. To me, it doesn't smell cheap at all, others may disagree, and that's ok.

For a while now, I have been using Versace Dylan Blue as a placeholder, but let's face it, these two fragrances are not in the same league. I'm not bashing Dylan Blue, it has it's place in the fragrance world, but the blend there does smell synthetic to my nose. Even with that, it had easily become my most worn fragrance.

It was time for me to step up to BdC. I wanted it so that I can have a pleasant smelling/mass appealing fragrance that I can throw on, without having to wonder if it would be appropriate. I feel I could wear this for essentially any occasion or event, and it would fit the bill perfectly. Dressed up or down, casual or even slightly formal (as formal an event I'm ever likely to attend anyway) and it would not be out of place.

In addition to all of the above, I also have a very personal reason for purchasing this bottle, that I do not want to share on a public forum. I'm sure you understand. In fact, you can remove everything I just said, and this single reason alone would be enough for me to warrant the purchase of this bottle. However, I do not want to expand on this reason, so I brought up many others. And, being completely honest here, I have to admit there is a pride of ownership that comes with buying my first bottle of Chanel. I would love to buy a few Creed bottles, but cannot at the moment. If/when I have the funds to get a Creed, I will, and I am sure I will be just as proud to own it/them too.

Regarding usage; It wouldn't be that difficult to use up the bottle of Chanel I bought (or any bottle really) at the rate I use them. I just haven't been using fragrance daily long enough at this point (roughly six months) to go through bottles yet. That point will come soon enough, however. Heck, there are people with more backup bottles than I own altogether. I wouldn't tell them that their money could have gone somewhere else.

I use 10 sprays every day for my SOTD, and generally 4-6 sprays of my SOTE (usually something else), if I am just lounging around the house. If I am going out or something. I use another 10 sprays of whatever I decide to wear. I bought the biggest bottle I could find precisely because I hope it does last me for the rest of my life. I want to be able to throw on 10 sprays of it whenever I feel like it, and not have to worry. If I were a normal person and only wore 3 sprays a day, sure, big bottles may seem unnecessary, but I am an oversprayer, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Everybody has their own reasons why we buy certain fragrances, and I find it odd that a stranger on the internet would tell me I am buying the wrong fragrance, when the ones suggested were even more expensive.

I hope the tone of this doesn't come off as if I am attacking you, but I wanted to point out some information using the exact bottles you mentioned purchasing, and held up as being examples of a better way for me to spend my money. For me, they aren't at this time, and I feel this post demonstrates that.

Sincerely, I really enjoy reading your posts, and will continue to do. No ill will or internet "shade" is being tossed in your direction.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Congrats on your vintage haul Some of those carded samples are very rare finds, I wonder if they're still good.
    Grazie,

Yesterday, Missoni Parfum Pour Homme 3.4oz.

Today, Chanel Bleu de Chanel EDP 10oz. I am seriously super excited to add this one to my collection. It's my first Chanel, as well as being the most expensive bottle in my collection. Not that price should dictate what our favorite bottles are, but this large of a purchase is extremely rare for me (no matter the hobby), so it feels like a momentous occasion to me. Kind of like I finally passed over an invisible threshold in my "perfumehood", as corny as that may sound.

This was a long and drawn out purchase for me, to be honest. I kept debating on weather to get the EDT, EDP, or the Parfum. I really like all three, and had tested all of them multiple times. On paper, on skin, side by side with tester vials, etc. Even in the store today, I had them all on skin and was sniffing away before finally deciding.

I hadn't planned on spending so much money today, but if you figure the cost per ml, this was the best way for me to go, as the EDT and Parfum only come in 5oz bottles as the largest size. The 10oz bottle was more expensive up front, but the cost to use the juice was less per usage, if that makes sense.

For my budget, the cash layout was huge (kinda scary really), but this bottle will probably last me the rest of my life, and give me a great "go to" fragrance for special occasions. Perhaps I gush too much, but this bottle really meant a lot to me for multiple reasons.
    Grats - but I'm curious, why the 10oz size? I think it'd be awesome to look at and hold and stuff, but I'd be super concerned over it turning over time due to the large amount of space that oxygen can and will be in there. That's why I'm hesitant to do 200ml sizes more than before, and I don't really want to do bigger than that. The oxygen inside scares me.

Unless you're gonna burn through it in like 3-5 years or something.
    All Hail King Kouros!

Grazie,

Grats - but I'm curious, why the 10oz size? I think it'd be awesome to look at and hold and stuff, but I'd be super concerned over it turning over time due to the large amount of space that oxygen can and will be in there. That's why I'm hesitant to do 200ml sizes more than before, and I don't really want to do bigger than that. The oxygen inside scares me.

Unless you're gonna burn through it in like 3-5 years or something.
    Thank you, and it IS awesome! LOL!

On a serious note, I thought fragrances never really expired, hence all the vintage love that goes around.

I had never even considered the idea that my bottle would turn, if not used up within a couple years. I store all of my fragrances in cube style bookshelf type thing that I bought cloth "drawers" for. I keep them in their original boxes, and they are kept away from light. I figured they would all be safe for as long as I would own them. Even my "oldest" bottles are only a few years old (according to checkfresh and the like), and I have been under the impression that modern fragrances (especially anything after 2013) don't really go bad, if properly stored.

I hope I am not wrong about that.

Chanel 1957

Quote Originally Posted by rodamon View Post
    L'Instant de Guerlain pour homme, old bottle (2014)
    Congrats on this buy!

Thanks hednic

Like Creed, as you have purchased?

[...]

I hope the tone of this doesn't come off as if I am attacking you, but I wanted to point out some information using the exact bottles you mentioned purchasing, and held up as being examples of a better way for me to spend my money. For me, they aren't at this time, and I feel this post demonstrates that.
    There's a reason why I didn't mention how much I paid for my Creeds: I didn't pay full price for them. I didn't even pay Fragrancenet prices for them.

I only brought up those bottles because they serve as examples of bottles I have that are old that I haven't even used up entirely. Those are just the ones I've used the most. Also, neither of those bottles is anywhere near the size of the bottle that you got and they've lasted for a very long time already, so I can't imagine a need for a 10oz bottle.

If you think that I was holding up those particular bottles as examples of better ways of spending your money, then you need to reread what I said because I NEVER said that.

Also, as a previous poster said, it is possible for a fragrance to go bad. I think a gigantic bottle that took a long, long time to use up would be particularly susceptible to turning.

It's your money. Spend it however you want. At no point did I EVER say you needed to spend money on Creed, but I did suggest that you could have been wiser when buying BdC. You have said more than once that spending like this is a lot for you. I'm just saying that if $250 is a concern, unless there was some reason that you absolutely needed the 10oz bottle, you didn't have to spend so much to still get a big bottle that will last for several years.

Right now a 120ml bottle of Creed Himalaya is $280 on fragnet. More than I paid for the Chanel. 75ml bottles of Aventus are no longer produced, and currently 100ml bottles are $329 on the same website. Even the 50ml bottles are priced at $252, and that is still more than the Chanel cost me, and I got nearly 6 times the juice.

Plus, if I did that, I still wouldn't own BdC, and I wanted this in my collection.
    Sure, but for slightly less than $250, you could have gotten a 5oz bottle of BdC, which is still a massive amount of perfume, PLUS something like a 30ml decant of Aventus.

I was at a garage sale, couldn't resist vintage designers, both BNIB!

Basenotes Plus

Thank you, and it IS awesome! LOL!

On a serious note, I thought fragrances never really expired, hence all the vintage love that goes around.

I had never even considered the idea that my bottle would turn, if not used up within a couple years. I store all of my fragrances in cube style bookshelf type thing that I bought cloth "drawers" for. I keep them in their original boxes, and they are kept away from light. I figured they would all be safe for as long as I would own them. Even my "oldest" bottles are only a few years old (according to checkfresh and the like), and I have been under the impression that modern fragrances (especially anything after 2013) don't really go bad, if properly stored.

I hope I am not wrong about that.
    No no, my qualm isn't with the frag simply lasting for a long time - it's specifically about the oxygen capacity since it's a huge bottle.
    I have decades old fragrance(s) and they smell good, but they're not nearly that size with a big amount of air in the bottle. If you bought say.. 5x200ml or 1x100ml I wouldn't really be as concerned, it's simply the literal physical size of the bottle that's concerning. Once it starts getting around, I dunno, ~70% full or less I'd be weary.

If you start noticing it to smell even slightly off in a consistent timeframe... start using it up ASAP. Run through it, haha

Quote Originally Posted by keram View Post

What the... that's insane. What kind of garage sale is that, haha. Grats!
    All Hail King Kouros!

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    There's a reason why I didn't mention how much I paid for my Creeds: I didn't pay full price for them. I didn't even pay Fragrancenet prices for them.

I only brought up those bottles because they serve as examples of bottles I have that are old that I haven't even used up entirely. Those are just the ones I've used the most. Also, neither of those bottles is anywhere near the size of the bottle that you got and they've lasted for a very long time already, so I can't imagine a need for a 10oz bottle.

If you think that I was holding up those particular bottles as examples of better ways of spending your money, then you need to reread what I said because I NEVER said that.

Also, as a previous poster said, it is possible for a fragrance to go bad. I think a gigantic bottle that took a long, long time to use up would be particularly susceptible to turning.

It's your money. Spend it however you want. At no point did I EVER say you needed to spend money on Creed, but I did suggest that you could have been wiser when buying BdC. You have said more than once that spending like this is a lot for you. I'm just saying that if $250 is a concern, unless there was some reason that you absolutely needed the 10oz bottle, you didn't have to spend so much to still get a big bottle that will last for several years.
    Ok, I gotcha now. I read your post as saying I should have bought either of those Creed bottles vs buying the Chanel. I was thinking you were coming at me for not buying Creed, and I couldn't figure out why. I hope you took no offense to my misunderstanding of your post. My apologies, if you did.

With what I have in mind for the Chanel, yes, I wanted a bottle that could theoretically outlast me, even with a lot of frequent trigger heavy wearings.

If you start noticing it to smell even slightly off in a consistent timeframe... start using it up ASAP. Run through it, haha
    LOL! Yeah, I plan to wear this a lot anyway, and if a day comes that it seems "off", I'll start wearing it every day, giving decants out to friends/family to use up, etc. I won't let it be money wasted. I hope it doesn't ever turn though. Scary thought! I can't imagine the pressure of trying to use up a large flacon of something really expensive like Creed or TF BP. I'd spend every day in a full blown panic attack!

Banned

What an amazing garage sale! May I ask how much you paid?

What the... that's insane. What kind of garage sale is that, haha. Grats!
    Thanks, you never what you find at a garage sale!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    What an amazing garage sale! May I ask how much you paid?
    90 euro for both, would gladly paid that just for the Dior.

Both are splash, i would prefer a sprayer but i will decant it probably..

Basenotes Junkie

Just picked up a bottle of pdm Carlisle.
    Who knows, it may get delivered in july.
    Parfum de Marly Oajan

Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Russlan View Post

While travelling Korea, bought a 5-piece Penhaligon's discovery set at Incheon's duty free: BB, JS, Halfeti, Empressa and Endymion, all 10-mls sprays
    Congrats

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast