Code of Conduct

Default Violet flower absolute / enfleurage / maceration ?

Has anyone ever attempted this?

I am currently attempting a violet cold enfleurage and would be interested in hot enfleuraging or oil maceration.

I am having a few issues. The first is that not all the violets that grow produce a scent. I am not sure how to figure this out. When I seal them in a bag and open it, then there is a strong smell, but otherwise, it's so difficult to smell anything from each individual flower.

The scent from some of the flowers are so faint, I feel cold enfleurage would take a decade of recharges to work.

The second is that I wonder if a cold enfleurage is necessary if violets can withstand heat. Hot enfleurage and hot oil maceration would be much more efficient. After crushing the petals, I don't think it'd be a bad idea to heat them. I found crushing them produced a much stronger scent than the actual living flower.

I read on an old post that traditionally a maceration of the flowers was used to make absolute, but this is so rarely done that it seems there isn't much info on it.

How do I find information about making violet flower absolute but also the properties of the violet flower (when to harvest and when most of the fragrance is released)?

I am very new to all this. I would be interested in learning how to look into these information about the violet flower.

I have found that Ionone, seems to be the main scent compound. It seems fairly heat tolerant with a boiling point way above 100 degrees celsius.

The difficulty is that most of the information I found so far are about violet leaf extracts.

Any pointers and useful tips?

Thank you so much guys!

Default Re: Violet flower absolute / enfleurage / maceration ?

Violet flowers were traditionally extracted with hot fat. See pp. 116-121, below:

https://archive.org/details/NavesMaz...1947/page/n135

See also pp. 98-200, below:

https://archive.org/details/essentia...1mbp/page/n219

To answer one of your other questions, they should ideally be picked in the morning, after any dew has evaporated.

See also p. 252 in the first link, regarding the digestion temperature and total charge (per kg of fat) for violet flowers.

Hey Pears! Thank you so much for your help! Is the morning picking really more so that they don't rot from the wet dew? Or is it that the scent is stronger in the morning?
    It's very useful. I am planning on going for roses as well and I am glad to know they do well in hot fat.

Are there any recommendations for me to read, like books or so if I am getting into fragrance extraction as a hobby. I am not a professional as you can tell, and it's more something I am doing for myself since I love the smell of certain flowers and I'd like to keep their fragrance just for sniffing purposes

Quote Originally Posted by purplecraze View Post
    Hey Pears! Thank you so much for your help! Is the morning picking really more so that they don't rot from the wet dew? Or is it that the scent is stronger in the morning?
    The volatile oil content is generally highest in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by purplecraze View Post
    Are there any recommendations for me to read, like books or so if I am getting into fragrance extraction as a hobby. I am not a professional as you can tell, and it's more something I am doing for myself since I love the smell of certain flowers and I'd like to keep their fragrance just for sniffing purposes
    Sorry, I don't know of any books that are catered to hobbyists. My thread on the subject is geared towards manufacturers, but those so inclined could adapt the methods to suit their needs.

If you wish to use fat then I'd suggest that you add an antioxidant such as BHT, vitamin E or ROE to the finished product.
    Last edited by Pears; 2nd June 2019 at 09:01 PM.

Thanks for the tips!