Code of Conduct

Default I blind ordered Memo Paris Shams Oud. My first expensive bottle. Any thoughts on this one?

Hello all,

As most of you know, I live in a fragrant world of cheapies, clones, and discounter fragrances. However, I did have an opportunity to try a couple of oud fragrances that seriously made me realize that the world of perfumery is doing some legitimately amazing things that most people aren't even aware of. These two gems I have talked about before, Bortnikoff Oud Maximus, and (IMO) the masterpiece that is Dusita Oudh Infini. I'm telling you guys, mind=blown, especially with the Dusita. This could quite possibly be the best fragrance I have ever had the pleasure of sniffing.

Sadly, bottles of this caliber are simply beyond my financial grasp. That didn't stop me from doing some research though, to seek out a lower cost oud that I could try. I came to discover that it seems like many "oud" fragrances do not contain any oud at all, and are just named that way to make a buck.

The lower cost oud fragrances all seem to use synthetic oud, and I sniffed out a couple that I liked, but these fragrances were sweet and nearly gourmand in nature. Scent Story 24 Gold is a nice fragrance IMO, but I literally wore it to the office. It's smells delicious to my nose. Another cheapie oud is Franck Olivier Oud Vanille. I actually found this locally, and like 24 Gold, I enjoy it, but it's also very "delicious" smelling. I am certain that neither of these could contain real oud, simply due to economics. While I find them very enjoyable, they don't really scratch my oud itch, so to speak. LOL! The hunt continued.

I discovered Mancera/Montale and have yet to try any of them, but would like to. I ran across some reviews for Memo Paris Shams Oud, and thought this one might be a good one to try. I have seen it described as "hard to wear". Yes, please continue. I have seen it mentioned that it's pretty spicy in the opening, with e mellower dry down that eventually becomes sweeter. Additionally, the performance is reportedly quite good. Based on all of that, I convinced myself that I needed it in my life.

This is by far, the most I have ever spent per ml on any bottle. I'm hoping I like it!

Anyone here have any experience with this one? How does the oud compare to other ouds?

All opinions, even negative, are welcomed.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: I blind ordered Memo Paris Shams Oud. My first expensive bottle. Any thoughts on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post

Anyone here have any experience with this one? How does the oud compare to other ouds?

All opinions, even negative, are welcomed.
    I own it and think it's wonderful. It's a rather spicy oud with saffron and pepper intermingling with the oud. Performance on my skin was excellent. Hope you enjoy it when you get it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: I blind ordered Memo Paris Shams Oud. My first expensive bottle. Any thoughts on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I own it and think it's wonderful. It's a rather spicy oud with saffron and pepper intermingling with the oud. Performance on my skin was excellent. Hope you enjoy it when you get it.
    Thank you for the kind words. I am really excited about this one coming in, and I'm happy to see that you enjoy it. I trust your nose and experience, so I am sure to enjoy the bottle.

I love oud, but from what I've experienced so far with it, it can be a dangerous blind buy. Good luck! The Memos that I've tried have been pretty good.

I have purchased 4 Memos, and Shams Oud was one of them.

It's an enjoyable fragrance for me or I wouldn't have bought it. I'm not a fan of really strong ouds. I do not consider Shams Oud one of them.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Owned and loved it; gave it **** out of 5 and ***** on longevity.

it's a nice scent you won't regret your move !

Try running this by the guys on the oud forum

Smells like Versace Pour Homme Oud Noir to me.
    YouTube reviews with integrity: My "FragReviews" Channel
    Favorite House: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

A very good fragrance from Memo. It has excellent staying power. One of their best so far. Perhaps second to African Leather for me.

Freed from BN Institution

I sampled this one at Neimans when I sampled a slew of bottles from Memo Paris. It wasn't bad at all.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Woto by Deviline

Congratulations for the purchase. Happened to have tested this one a few times and on each separate testing could describe it as with very good performance indeed.
    While also as a darker, almost smoky, quite resinous and while moderately sweet, almost slightly bitter (but oddly in a pleasant way) type of oud, quite different from more popular, accessible type of ouds that smell almost too fresh, nearly "sanitized" and/or too chemical at once, while this one has a more unfiltered, raw, unadulterated, straightforward oud quality to it.

Thank you to everyone for chiming in with their thoughts. I appreciate the feedback .

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Congratulations for the purchase. Happened to have tested this one a few times and on each separate testing could describe it as with very good performance indeed.
    While also as a darker, almost smoky, quite resinous and while moderately sweet, almost slightly bitter (but oddly in a pleasant way) type of oud, quite different from more popular, accessible type of ouds that smell almost too fresh, nearly "sanitized" and/or too chemical at once, while this one has a more unfiltered, raw, unadulterated, straightforward oud quality to it.
    Thank you for the in depth write up. This is the type of information I was looking for. It sounds like this is going to be a quite enjoyable scent profile. I like the idea of a "unfiltered, raw, unadulterated, straightforward oud". Sounds like it's right up my alley.

Thanks again for your thoughts and impressions all.

Chances are you will like it as it is IMO one of Memo’s nicer fragrances. However for a similar expenditure you could get a decant of quality blend with genuine oud which offers better depth and development.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Hello all,

I came home to Shams Oud waiting for me. I just sprayed a couple of quick shots about 15 minutes ago.

Wow! All I can say is wow!

To say I love it already would be an understatement. I know, I know, it's way too early to be claiming it as a love, but I'm doing it none-the-less.

I do not find this one to be that "skanky", to be totally honest here. My initial impression is that it smells like burning embers in a fire, but not necessarily smokey to my nose. I know that statement doesn't make a lot of sense, but that is how I interpret the scent. Hot burning coals of wood, but not smoking wood like MM By the Fireplace comes off.

I am not 100% sure what I was expecting, but I wasn't expecting it to be so pleasant smelling. Even my GF (who doesn't like oud fragrances) thought it was ok. She's not into the "dirty" smelling stuff, so I guess that would be a "thumbs up" from her as well...a ringing endorsement I know... LOL!

More to come later.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Glad to hear that you found it very much to your liking!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

A fragrance that gives you a ‘WOW’. Congrats on this rare achievement.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Smells like a fishy vagina. I like fish and i like vagina but not together.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Glad to hear that you found it very much to your liking!
    Thank you good sir. It's VERY much to my liking. I was worried, as I had never dropped that kind of coin per ml before, so it's a scary blind buy. The reviews had me convinced, and I like oud fragrances, so I didn't think it was too risky, but still..you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    A fragrance that gives you a ‘WOW’. Congrats on this rare achievement.
    Thank you. This exceeded al of my expectation right out of the gate. I thought it may be one that had to get past the opening to get really good, but I was wrong. It starts off with an opening blast that's SO, SO good, I couldn't help but get excited. Even as I continually sniff myself, I feel like i am in a state of shock that I actually own a full bottle of it. This is generally the type of fragrance I only dream about, to be honest. I'm extremely happy I bit the bullet and ordered it up. No regrets, would purchase again.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckerhead View Post
    LOL'd! I get no fish or lady parts smell from this one. Even when trying to search it out after reading this comment. Burning embers of wood coming off my arm. It seems rather linear so far, but I don't mind, as I enjoy the scent so much.

I love that everyone has their own interpretations of fragrances. One thing I have learned only a short while in the hobby is just how subjective it truly is. I used to think that most people found the same smells to be either pleasant or unpleasant. I have learned that is just not true. Tastes vary widely from nose to nose.

Quote Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
    I love that everyone has their own interpretations of fragrances. One thing I have learned only a short while in the hobby is just how subjective it truly is. I used to think that most people found the same smells to be either pleasant or unpleasant. I have learned that is just not true.
    Nope, not by a long shot.

Glad you liked this one. I like it, too.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

I'll admit it was a bit scary to read as I was worried if you'll like it or not, but it turned out just perfect! I'm very glad to see you love it - and it also amazes you and gives you WOW. And your girlfriend also approves! Happy sniffing!

I haven't tried or smelled many ouds, but from the little I did smell, I concluded I wouldn't like it on me - and yes, the variety of scents and people's preferences amazes me, too! I think it's great we find different scents amazing, 'meh' or repulsive - it makes the world and this hobby more interesting.

The only Memo fragrance I've tried so far was African Leather and I found it a lovely spicy leather. Your enthusiastic thread might nudge me to try some others one day, too.

I'm glad you Ioved it. Always a bit scary to spend so much money on a blind buy.

Recently purchased African Leather and got a sample of both Shams and Luxors Oud with it. Yesterday i tried the Shams on my wrist and i think it smells really good. It's very spicy/peppery with that ginger note.
    Currently wearing: African Leather by Memo

I knew it, in the second bottle.. the stuff has magic! Enjoy till the last drop!

Thanks for the kind words all. I really do love it.

The dry down becomes a sweet vanilla base on my skin, as if the burning embers gave way to a delicious dessert to cap the night. It's hot here these days, so I will not be able to wear this much until later on in the year. I'll be looking forward to this one keeping me warm in the colder months.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckerhead View Post
    Vous êtes un gastronome!