Code of Conduct

Default Aftershave balms

I assume these have some sort of 'moisturiser' type carrier for the fragrance?
    Do tell aftershave & grooming experts!

How do these perform?
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Hermès

Default Re: Aftershave balms

I only have designer aftershave balms that came as part of giftsets. Most that I have used are nothing special, quite watery and I would never buy them on their own merit. For my regular aftershave routine I use entirely different products/brands that serve a specific purpose, rather than enhance the fragrance or "experience"..

Basenotes Plus

Totally depends. If it’s from a shaving company (Art of Shaving, Trufitt & Hill, etc) or quality soap etc company (Pre de Provence), then the products work rather well from a skin conditioning perspective. From a fragrance perspective, most seems to have longevity of 30 minutes to an hour while some can go up to 4-ish hours.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

As mentioned above, only made use of these balms when they were part of a gift set gifted to me; otherwise, never used them.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Acqua di parma coloniA hss an after shave balm that is outstanding.
    Green irish tweed balm is pretty good too. On the designer side eau sauvage balm is decent.
    For a universal after shave balm you could try taylor of bond street, which does a fragrance free balm that you can scent with ur sotd

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

As others said, they're not about the perfume. Plus, the idea of adding a potential irritant (perfume) to irritated (ie just shaved) skin is a bit counterintuitive.

Excellent - thanks for the input folks.
    I ended up registering on Badger & Blade - rabbit hooooooole!

Own and love the following shave balms:

Artisan
    Bvlgari Man in Black
    Grey Vetiver
    Gucci Guilty Absolute Pour Homme
    L'Occitane Eau de Cade
    L'Occitane Eau de Cedrat
    L'Occitane L'Occitan
    Spicebomb
    Tommy
    Versace The Dreamer
    THE COLOGNNOISSEUR
    OMAHA, NE
    USA
    Currently wearing: Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Yep. You’ll be purchasing double edged safety razors, cut throats, Italian safety razors, badger brushes, bore brushes, horse brushes, creams, soaps, croaps, balms, splashes, bowls, holders, kits, etc etc etc with reckless abandon as if everything is about to be pulled from the market. Yes, a very deep rabbit hole. Like fragrances can be. Lol

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I love aftershaves - both balm and lotion - because the quality ones work to soothe my skin after shaving and prevent redness, while smelling awesome (and usually somewhat flankerish to the EDT). If I forget to use them or am in a hurry, I often get irritation. So for me, they work.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Yep. You’ll be purchasing double edged safety razors, cut throats, Italian safety razors, badger brushes, bore brushes, horse brushes, creams, soaps, croaps, balms, splashes, bowls, holders, kits, etc etc etc with reckless abandon as if everything is about to be pulled from the market. Yes, a very deep rabbit hole. Like fragrances can be. Lol
    Haha true that!
    Echoing from the 'fathers day' thread - I often think about getting into proper shaving as my father did (I'm certain he is resting in utmost peace and glory - A proper gentleman. Never out of formal wear, proper shoes and a proper shaver)
    The only problem so far being... I've been a 1-3mm hair and shadow beard guy for the last few years. I'd have to literally 180 - to smart side parting hair and clean shave !!

Basenotes Plus

Haha true that!
    Echoing from the 'fathers day' thread - I often think about getting into proper shaving as my father did (I'm certain he is resting in utmost peace and glory - A proper gentleman. Never out of formal wear, proper shoes and a proper shaver)
    The only problem so far being... I've been a 1-3mm hair and shadow beard guy for the last few years. I'd have to literally 180 - to smart side parting hair and clean shave !!
    No need for the side part. Spike it up anyways. And no matter what idea anyone tries to sell you, the proper shave is the one that takes the hair off your face and leaves it smooth and not irritated. And also remember there’s no 1 right way. Do what works for you.

Art of Shaving's Sandalwood aftershave balm is nice--it just adds a slight Sandalwoody note to whatever scent you are wearing.
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics

Certainly wet shaving is a rabbit hole, but also a very satisfying hobby, id dare say even more that fragrances. Probably bcs of the technical skills involved in wet shaving, and the learning curve, along with the maintainance routine of stropping and honing straight razors.

And of course the hunt for artisanal products that are part of pre shave and post shave routine.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

I assume these have some sort of 'moisturiser' type carrier for the fragrance?
    Do tell aftershave & grooming experts!
    Aftershave balms by fragrance companies certainly have moisturising ingredients in them. In fact even the aftershave lotions do by some of the better brands. Chanel PM and Dior Eau Sauvage - both in their afterhsave lotion versions - have (or at least had when I used to use both in the early 00s) some very good moisturising properties.

If however you mean generic balms - I use Nivea for Men Sensitive (0% alcohol version) - also have some moisturising ingredients and as they are often fragrance free give better results, leaving a smooth and clear skin complexion.

Soon you will be joining us on The Shaving Room and Against The Grain forums which are all UK based and much friendlier
    Do drop me a PM if you are in need of any tips or on the lookout for some gear to get you started.
    Currently wearing: Aramis by Aramis

How do they perform as moisturisers?
    Fine for me, most of the ones I have have a matte-finish which I prefer rather than the long lasting wet-look/SPF type balms which are also around.

How do they perform in terms of scent output?
    Many, many years ago I tested a lot of them and got widely varying results which I wrote up here..
    http://www.basenotes.net/features/2128-balmendurance

Not sure what the current state of balms is, the trend way back then was away from making strong scented aftershave balms, to making them very lightly scented. I couldn't see the point of the lightly scented ones, as I could make stronger ones myself by mixing fragrance neutral balms with EDT.
    Regards,
    Renato

In addition to the many good aforementioned suggestions, also adding another good quality nearly unscented (or discreetly scented) aftershave balm that provides great return/value quite inexpensively, namely Alverde for Men