Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor
    Basenotes Plus

Default Why not artisanal

I got into fragrances not long ago. And my collection is mostly artisanal.

I recommend you consider the same thing IF you are the type of person who likes good quality, artisanal stuff.

Pryn, Strangers and Prissana
    Sultan Pasha (especially Sultan Pasha, OMG, especially!)
    La Via del Profumo
    Bortnikoff
    Rising Phoenix
    Areej le Dore
    Bruno Fazzolari
    Bogue
    Ensar Oud
    January Scent Project
    Hans Hendley
    Hiram Green

I don’t own many designer fragrances. Why? Because I prefer artisanal rare, hand crafted. I do have some Papillon and some Different Company and Tauer, which I think are more niche than artisanal, but even these houses have artisanal DNA.

I have some Guerlain (Jicky, Mouchoir de Monsieur, Mitsouko vintage) and YSL Kouros (vintage) and Gatsby vintage...but mostly it’s artisanal.

Why not collect artisanal fragrances (if you love them as I do) instead of the designers?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Why not artisanal

I think it's great that there is a number of artisan houses available for a person to choose from who wants to go in that direction. I personally am not into artisanal fragrances and find myself attracted almost exclusively to niche and designer with the very rare exception of the straggler artisanal scent.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Must admit having a very limited experience with most of these artisan houses, but would consider each more often especially if testing would lead to the conclusion that they could match, equal, achieve the style, complexity, finesse of certain both designer and niche personal favorites (currently not able to tell if they could or not, but willing to try more especially based on the present day tastes and preferences)
    Currently wearing: Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

What is the distinguishing factor between "artisanal" and "niche"?
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Because designers can be great too.

But I agree with you that many artisanal houses deserve more attention and produce stuff that's better than most designer stuff.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Artisans blend themselves usually. They compose and often source and bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    I've read that Sultan Pasha and Ensar Oud are pretty darn good. I might give them a shot later on.

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Thank you for the clarification.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

I appreciate brands like Rogue for their affordable offerings. I would love to buy more artisanal fragrances but many are out of my price range. As I gain more experience with fragrances, I do find myself drifting more toward the artisanal side.

Que scay-je?

Basenotes Junkie

Not as widely-available as designer, and many designer frags are great.

Also curious about the distinction between niche and artisanal.

Basenotes Plus

Most of my limited experience has been that they are the most beautiful ingredients with less compositional finesse.

But id say the answer is mostly getting exposure and pricing. They are expensive many times.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Eh. Artisanal is excellent from an artist standpoint, hence the name, but for wearing I'd prefer not to. Since there is no way to really smell this stuff without purchase, I'd rather go without.

why not? no money.as simple as that. regardless if its wearable or not, i still bought it if its in my range..but mostly just too far reach for my wallet
    Currently wearing: 33 by Chris Rusak

Freed from BN Institution

I would add Rogue Perfumery. It's takes a Non-IFRA approach to making vintage style fragrances, very rare to find a house as such today.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

Rogue is awesome. I concur there. Everything ive tried has been top notch. I plan to revisit tabac vert sometime soon.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Basenotes Plus

Madhat
    Henley
    Strangers Parfumerie us$70 per bottle

Not overly costly.

Basenotes Plus

Rogue is also reasonable. They are easy to sample as well. Anyone reading this and thinking about getting into these types id recomend starting with them. Also, i feel like thier offerings are westernized, and easily palletable to those who enjoy a vintage style.

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    I would love to buy more artisanal fragrances but many are out of my price range. As I gain more experience with fragrances, I do find myself drifting more toward the artisanal side.
    Exactly my experience, too.
    Avatar artwork by Nananan Kiriko

i got caught up in the artisanal is better and purer and of a higher standard than everything else and was buying here and there from only artisanal vendors and only on a few occasions finding something that satisfied me but the vast majority of my purchases were disappointing. then a few months ago i gave up on this whole train of thought and now i buy anything from anyone and i dont care whats in it naturals, synthetics, whatever.all i care about is how the perfume smells and performs now. i have been more satisfied in the last few months with most of my purchases than chasing the artisanal dream the last ten years.
    Anas b. Malik reported that Allah's Apostle (ﷺ) used to come to our house and there was perspiration upon his body. My mother brought a bottle and began to pour the sweat in that. When Allah's Apostle (ﷺ) got up he said:

Umm Sulaim, what is this that you are doing? Thereupon she said: That is your sweat which we mix in our perfume and it becomes the most fragrant perfume.

If you enjoy it, why not?

Echoing abu’s sentiments, I wear whatever I like: designer, vintage, niche, artisanal, cheapies, prestige, masstige, etc I enjoy them all. My wardrobe is so eclectic it’s insane. I might simplify it all in future to a few signature scents but right now I’m having too much fun to whittle it down.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

My focus is on vintage and artisanal perfumes. It's hard to draw a strict line between niche and artisanal, but I agree witb thrillechilled's definition - artisans compose, source, and sell their perfume mostly on their own. The perfume is their artistic creation. Artisanal perfumes are not always expensive, by the way, and they usually sell samples.

In addition to those already listed, I would add...

Andy Tauer
    Charna Ethier - Providence Perfume Company
    Dawn Spencer Hurwitz
    Neil Morris
    Shelley Waddington - En Voyage Perfumes
    Mandy Aftel
    Liz Moores - Papillon
    Paul Kiler
    Ellen Covey - Olympic Orchids
    Holloday Saltz- Apoteker Tepe (no longer active, alas!)
    Laurie Erckson- Sonoma Scent Studios (not active, but may be revived with a new a perfumer)

There is a new store, American Perfumer, that is spotlighting American artisanal perfumers, and they have an excellent podcast series featuring some of these perfumers...

https://american-perfumer.com/blogs/news

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the link to American Perfumer.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Patchouly by Etro

Here's a link to a related thread from 2016: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/418733-Artisan-Houses

I've dabbled in Artisan houses, and niche houses, but I'm not into them nearly as much as designer/vintage/mainstream houses: Dior, Chanel, Guerlain, Hermes, Patou, Givenchy.

I go into sampling artisan fragrances with enthusiasm, but compared to what I prefer, there's a gap.

That said, the artisanal-type stuff I like includes 4160 Tuesdays and Rogue, when they adhere to a classic style.

From Fazzolari, I like Au Dela / Au Dela Narcisse des Montagnes / Au Dela Narcisse, but that's it really. These are the fragrances of his that capture the classic style I like.

Parfums DelRae is good - classic florals.

Nicolai is good, but it feels more niche than artisan to me. Whatever Nicolai is, it's good.

Dusita is one of the better ones. She does a nice white floral, Melodie de L'Amour, and an interesting modern rose fragrance, La Douceur de Siam.