Code of Conduct

Blog Entries

Default Sample of the Day - June 2019

This month l've managed to start the thread on the 1st of the month, so l hope to see some of your impressions of what you're trying, folks!

l devoted all of my sampling time last month to the Rogue Sample Pass, but l'll be ready to start working through my own sample pile again soon...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Default Re: Sample of the Day - June 2019

Serge Lutens Fille en Aiguilles. First time smelling it and I really like it. Like laying under the Christmas tree while someone is setting up a table full of desserts right next to you.

Que scay-je?

Blog Entries

Morah by Pryn Parfum:

ln the opening l get aldehydes, underpinned by creamy, spicy woods & something animalic. The listed notes of black pepper, sandalwood & civet would account for this impression. Over the first hour, as the aldehydes fade, l get an ashy, leathery note suggestive of birch tar, which is not listed, followed by an accord very much like pencil shavings, then cumin & oakmoss. The floral notes here are not obvious at all, except for a fleeting whiff of an incense-like champaca. The projection is low, & six hours in l detect no further development.

l was excited to try this one, expecting an exotic & rich tropical floral, with the listed notes of tuberose, gardenia & frangipani much more to the fore. lt's far less feminine than that, though. And although l find it to be a pleasant unisex fragrance that might work well for me in autumn, the low projection is somewhat disappointing.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Eau de Nyonya by Auphorie:

Toasted rice, coconut, a hint of chocolate, something green which must be the Pandan leaf, sweet violet & benzoin are the introduction to this gorgeous gourmand-oriental. lt's deliciously edible without being overly sweet, with a fuzzy & suede-like texture. The violet becomes more pronounced over the first half-hour, & there's an almond/cherry/heliotrope facet suggesting distant echoes of vintage L'Heure Bleue. The texture smooths out from here, then ninety minutes in there's a buttery iris. Another hour in, l get a note of condensed milk, & at the four hour mark there's a rich, creamy sandalwood. At this point it settles closer to the skin, but it's still very much there after nine hours.

l've never been to the Far East, but this perfume smells exactly how l imagine sitting in a humid tropical garden eating a Malaysian dessert would smell. lt's an extraordinarily complex assembly of notes that somehow work together, vintage-smelling yet modern & unique, exquisitely balanced & addictive. l can't really put it better than gimmegreen's beautifully descriptive review, but if you love a good gourmand with a grown-up feel, l urge you to try this before it's gone. Auphorie are known for discontinuing their fragrances before we all get a chance to try them; l know this to my cost, because l missed out on trying Mayura.

Blog Entries

Jardin de Kerylos by Parfumerie Generale:

A cool, crisp & refreshing fig, much less creamy-lactonic than either Philosykos or Premier Figuier, but more leafy & woody, the fruit still unripe on the tree. It seems thinner & flatter to me because of this, however. I don't smell the peach, but perhaps some tuberose in the background after twenty minutes or so. Aside from that, l sense no progression at all, the projection is low, & after seven hours it's faded out altogether.
    Maybe this one needs some real summer heat to make it bloom, but l have to confess that it left me a little cold. For me, it doesn't come anywhere close to the glorious celebration of the fig that is Philosykos.

Tried Sex and the Sea and Under My Skin by Francesca Bianchi last night. They had a slightly powdery, animalic vibe that reminded me of Salome and Enlèvement au Sérail. I preferred Under My Skin of the two, have 3 more left to go in the sample pack.

Blog Entries

caz, Sex & the Sea is on my test list. Do you find it to have much of a beachy vibe?

It’s not what I normally think of as beachy, but it’s very nice. Depends on what you think of as beachy. It smells a bit powdery on me.

Blog Entries

Ah yes, l should clarify that for me, "beachy" implies suntan lotion, hot sand and/or the scent of the ocean.

Eternity for Men. Haven't worn it in many years, and man, is it a blast from the past!

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Ah yes, l should clarify that for me, "beachy" implies suntan lotion, hot sand and/or the scent of the ocean.
    Okay, then the answer is no, it doesn’t smell like that to me.

Fahrenheit by Dior
    When I first smelled it, I didn't expect to like it, I thought this could be too challenging for me and I wanted to smell it just for reference - but I did like it! Oh, how I liked it. And I finally tried it on me today, and I think it fits me well - I couldn't have imagined that, but it does. To me it smells like gasoline, but in a very pleasant way. There's also something metallic to my nose - overall the scent feels cold and warm at the same time, the metallic coldness and the general feel like something is burning underneath. It is beautiful. Makes me want to scream "give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire!"

Fahrenheit Cologne by Dior
    So so beautiful lighter Fahrenheit. I still do get the gasoline accord (is accord a right term here?), but it's so fresh and light at the same time. There's much more citrus and much more woods, and I like both. Feels more wearable, and more wearable for a woman. Great for summer. Love it.

Fahrenheit Parfum by Dior
    A Fahrenheit that is sweet! I've never smelled this version before, just the original EDT, and I was shocked how sweet and feminine it is – at least for Fahrenheit! But it is beautiful. Gasoline with vanilla and leather and some booze. And patchouli! I am starting to find that I actually do like patchouli as a note quite a lot - so it seems I'm not entirely lemons, grapefruits, cedar and sweet coffee kind of girl. It's really yummy. I would wear this gourmand Fahrenheit with ease and joy, especially in autumn. I love it. Seems very unisex to me. It slightly reminds me of something I have tried and liked before, but I don't remember what it is, maybe something from A*Men range (also felt quite feminine/unisex to me), maybe something from Les Senteurs Gourmands fragrances or even Burberry London for men? Or maybe I'm feeling this because of this unexpected combination of Fahrenheit and warm boozy and slightly spicy patchouli sweetened with vanilla. It's like Fahrenheit meeting Black Opium in a way – I am sorry for this comparison, but I do love both, and with this scent I can actually wear both. Nice and sensual Fahrenheit. I could see myself with a bottle of this in the future.

Blog Entries

Ok, thanks cazaubon!

ClockworkAlice, nice write-ups! No need to apologise for your own impressions, & yes, the word "accord" makes complete sense.

ClockworkAlice, nice write-ups! No need to apologise for your own impressions, & yes, the word "accord" makes complete sense.
    Thank you!

Blog Entries

Golden Paradise fragrance mist by Hawaiian Tropic:

Out of the collection of fragrances in this line, this is supposed to be the closest to the signature scent of their sun protection products, a scent l've loved for many, many years. To begin with, l get pineapple, coconut & warm sand. Within five minutes, the fruity note fades & it's more of a milky coconut, with the supporting notes of musk, sandalwood & amber giving it some backbone. l don't detect the floral notes of jasmine & freesia at all. l applied some of the suntan lotion to my other arm for comparison, & find that where the lotion is more light & fruity, the fragrance mist has more of an oriental, ambery feel. One hour in, the similarities align more closely, but at this stage the fragrance is very soft. After three hours it's almost disappeared, but it can still be revived by breathing onto the skin where l applied it.
    l bought this bottle on a whim last year, & only just got around to giving it a proper try. Although it doesn't score highly on performance (it is just a body spray, after all), it's a cheap & cheerful mood lifter, something to be sprayed with abandon when one wishes to simulate the feeling of lying on the beach in the sun, when one can't be there for real. Or a way to enjoy the scent of Hawaiian Tropic while using a less scented sun product. Either way, it's a fun, youthful fragrance that puts a smile on my face.

Blog Entries

Lace by Sarah Baker Perfumes:

Contrary to what the name might suggest, this is not a "sexy night out" fragrance, but a soft, beachy skin scent with white musk, coconut, vanilla & calone. For the first hour, it comes over as rather thin & flat, with a kind of staleness, almost as if it's gone off. After this, however, it becomes warmer, sweeter, milkier, & more satisfying. At this point it puts me in mind of a quieter version of Ensoleille Moi by Andre Gas, one that l already own & love. Six hours in, there's been no further development & it wears very close to the skin, but it's still humming along softly.
    This one is just ok to me though, & cannot come close to replacing Ensoleille Moi, which is a far superior version of the same idea.

Blog Entries

Second time sampling Iris Silver Mist(2019): I’m getting a distinct ashtray accord in the drydown which I didn’t get the first time around. Base is beautiful but opening to mid is too austere and cold and “lifeless” with that raw carrot note and somewhere in the mid is that ashy accord with an incense note? Finally, the base is where it really, really smells nice with what smells like a clean but very faint violet? However, once it’s reached the nice base you can’t really smell it unless you are up very close. Not wearable in my opinion as it’s the equivalent of wearing “ haute couture.” Thumbs up for creativity though!

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    Fahrenheit by Dior
    When I first smelled it, I didn't expect to like it, I thought this could be too challenging for me and I wanted to smell it just for reference - but I did like it! Oh, how I liked it. And I finally tried it on me today, and I think it fits me well - I couldn't have imagined that, but it does. To me it smells like gasoline, but in a very pleasant way. There's also something metallic to my nose - overall the scent feels cold and warm at the same time, the metallic coldness and the general feel like something is burning underneath. It is beautiful. Makes me want to scream "give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire!"

Fahrenheit Cologne by Dior
    So so beautiful lighter Fahrenheit. I still do get the gasoline accord (is accord a right term here?), but it's so fresh and light at the same time. There's much more citrus and much more woods, and I like both. Feels more wearable, and more wearable for a woman. Great for summer. Love it.

Fahrenheit Parfum by Dior
    A Fahrenheit that is sweet! I've never smelled this version before, just the original EDT, and I was shocked how sweet and feminine it is – at least for Fahrenheit! But it is beautiful. Gasoline with vanilla and leather and some booze. And patchouli! I am starting to find that I actually do like patchouli as a note quite a lot - so it seems I'm not entirely lemons, grapefruits, cedar and sweet coffee kind of girl. It's really yummy. I would wear this gourmand Fahrenheit with ease and joy, especially in autumn. I love it. Seems very unisex to me. It slightly reminds me of something I have tried and liked before, but I don't remember what it is, maybe something from A*Men range (also felt quite feminine/unisex to me), maybe something from Les Senteurs Gourmands fragrances or even Burberry London for men? Or maybe I'm feeling this because of this unexpected combination of Fahrenheit and warm boozy and slightly spicy patchouli sweetened with vanilla. It's like Fahrenheit meeting Black Opium in a way – I am sorry for this comparison, but I do love both, and with this scent I can actually wear both. Nice and sensual Fahrenheit. I could see myself with a bottle of this in the future.
    Great stuff in here.

Fahrenheit edt is as you describe.

The Cologne version was a bust for me.

The Parfum version: the first time I smelled it I was shocked and put the cap back on right away. I liked the edt so much, and I thought the Parfum smelled shockingly sweet. I eventually got samples of the Parfum and wore it and I can see the appeal, and I started liking it, but the reference to something like A*Men sounds right to me - something interesting, but shockingly synthetic in moments. It's apparently addictive to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Great stuff in here.

Fahrenheit edt is as you describe.

The Cologne version was a bust for me.

The Parfum version: the first time I smelled it I was shocked and put the cap back on right away. I liked the edt so much, and I thought the Parfum smelled shockingly sweet. I eventually got samples of the Parfum and wore it and I can see the appeal, and I started liking it, but the reference to something like A*Men sounds right to me - something interesting, but shockingly synthetic in moments. It's apparently addictive to wear.
    Thank you for your comment.
    What did you not like about the Cologne version?

I was shocked to try the Parfum after having sniffed Fahrenheit like twice before, I can imagine how shocking the experience should have been to someone who actively enjoys and wears Fahrenheit EDT. My first impression was "But it is SO sweet! o_O Too sweet!", but when I wore it, I noticed I couldn't stop sniffing my wrist and the more hours passed, the more I felt that I actually do like it and would like to wear it more. I think I can get the addictiveness of it. My nose didn't catch the "shockingly synthetic" moments as you describe them - I'm probably not that sensitive to that yet, but maybe that's exactly where the comparison with A*Men and Black Opium comes from.

Blog Entries

Jungle Jezebel by Sarah Baker Perfumes (not yet in the Directory):

Apparently inspired by eighties drag artist Divine, the listed notes are: orange, banana, grapes, peach, bubblegum, rose, tuberose, ylang ylang, amber, sandalwood, civet, vetiver, vanilla & tonka.

Well, this is certainly a weird one, at least in the opening phase. First out of the gate is an unmistakable burst of good old-fashioned pink bubblegum, supported by a fruity accord that reads as mainly banana, although there are dark hints of civet lurking in the background. Tuberose hoves into view, & then twenty minutes in, the bubblegum races off into the distance, leaving room for what feels for all the world like an old-school animalic chypre. lt remains warm, sweet & fruity rather than dirty, similar in feel to Schiaparelli's Shocking, although it also reminds me of something else that l can't quite figure out. Four hours in, it feels more like a fruity floriental, with creamy sandalwood, vanilla & tonka, but the civet continues to weave in & out for the duration. The projection is moderate rather than overpowering, & it's still going softly nine hours in.

This is not one l would have chosen to try, had l not been sent it as a freebie with a purchase. And as l suspected, it's really not my style, but it's certainly interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    What did you not like about the Cologne version?
    I was disappointed that it was so different from Fahrehneit.

There's a flanker that's worse called Fahrenheit 32, a shocker.

In the past, there was a Fahrenheit Zero flanker - heavily synthetic, but still good.

And the greatest of all Fahrenheit flankers, is, of course, the long discontinued Fahrenheit Summer.

Fahrenheit Summer Sunset.jpg

It doesn't last as long as the original, but it has some nice citrus in the opening that makes it an interesting version.

Blog Entries

Baikal Gris by Areej Le Dore: this one takes you places. Wow. The ambergris in this one is on another level!

Blog Entries

I Am Trash: Les Fleurs du Dechet by ELd'O (another freebie, sent with a Luckyscent order):

ln the opening l get cedar & tart fruit, more citrus than strawberry to my nose, followed in short order by a jammy rose. And suddenly it smells exactly like Black XS pour Homme circa 2006! A scent that sure brings back some memories for me. The same woody fruitchouli vibe is there, & on looking up "akigala wood" online, l find that it's fractionated from patchouli oil, so that's what l'm smelling! Within half an hour, the fruit fades, & a pepper note adds a more savoury nuance. Three hours in, it's all soft, smooth woods with a hint of apple, fading out completely at the six hour mark.

This is by no means an unpleasant scent, & l don't get any rotten fruit or any suggestion of decay from it, as the name implies. lt's definitely nothing new or special though, even if it did take me back to a special time in my life...
    Last edited by teardrop; 28th June 2019 at 11:48 AM.

Blog Entries

Fleur Narcotique by Ex Nihilo (another Luckyscent freebie):

This opens fresh, fruity, crisp & cologne-like with lychee, & a bergamot stripped of its usual bitter edges. A few minutes in, creamy orange blossom & white musk take over, & four hours later this hasn't changed. I continue to get wafts of a pleasantly clean & soapy floral that l expect to last for a good few hours yet. l'm not sure what peony smells like, so l can't say that l smell it here.
    Darvant describes this one as "melancholy", but l don't get that at all. There's nothing "narcotic" about it, either. For me it conveys a feeling of cheerful innocence, & l'm sure l could wear it at work without offending anyone. For the price though, it's rather unremarkable. l already have some orange blossom fragrances in my arsenal that l adore far more.

ETA: this was still going after nine hours when l went for a shower, even after being covered with suntan lotion & baking in the sun all afternoon. The performance, at least, is impressive.
    Last edited by teardrop; 27th June 2019 at 04:47 PM.

I Am Trash: Les Fleurs du Dechet by ELd'O (another freebie, sent with a Luckyscent order):

ln the opening l get cedar & tart fruit, more citrus than strawberry to my nose, followed in short order by a jammy rose. And suddenly it smells exactly like Black XS pour Homme circa 2006! A scent that sure brings back some memories for me. The same woody fruitchouli vibe is there, & on looking up "akigala wood" online, l find that it's fractionated from patchouli oil, so that's what l'm smelling! Within half an hour, the fruit fades, & a pepper note adds a more savoury nuance. Thee hours in, it's all soft, smooth woods with a hint of apple, fading out completely at the six hour mark.

This is by no means an unpleasant scent, & l don't get any rotten fruit or any suggestion of decay from it, as the name implies. lt's definitely nothing new or special though, even if it did take me back to a special time in my life...
    Interesting that you were able to place the connection to Paco Rabanne Black XS pour Homme. A company like ELdO, I wonder if they could do slightly better with their juices. They have some style and creativity - I'd like to see them do even more.

Blog Entries

l have five Carthusia samples that l got as a Gift With Purchase from Luckyscent, & l'm starting on these today with Mediterraneo:

l can pretty much sum this one up in three words: fresh lemon tea. Over the first half hour the lemon goes from fresh to candied to bitter & back again, but is never overly sharp or Pledge-like. An hour in, the lemon is joined by a tea note with a sprig of mint, but six hours in the lemon remains, although it's quite soft at this point.

The card that came with this sample lists a number of notes in addition to the lemon & green tea listed here on basenotes: wild mint, eucalyptus, litsea, red thyme, bergamot, jasmine, cardamom, wild flowers, tangerine & white musk. Aside from the mint & perhaps some bergamot, l don't get any of these here.

This is a perfectly refreshing pick-me-up for a hot day, but it's a very simple scent, & at this price point l'd expect something more interesting. l'd pick Laconia by Tom Daxon over this for my lemon fix.