Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Junkie

Default How to tell when you are addicted?

How do you know, in all seriousness?
    Is it a spending threshold? Amount of time spent on Basenotes? Amount of time spent smelling and/or thinking about fragrances? I am curious what you all think.

Default Re: How to tell when you are addicted?

I'm not addicted, no sir, only 400 bottles

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I don't see a sharp line. To me, fragrance is just a very non-toxic form of drug use. Addiction is therefore definable in a matching way - by behaviors. People argue over useful diagnostics on a continuum. I say use the same ones.

Hiding, hoarding, lying, overspending, drawing others into the subculture. If it works for any other substance, it works for fragrance. IMO.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Wanted by Night by Azzaro

Freed from BN Institution

It's subjective for each individual

It could be defined as just collecting only hand a handful of fragrances, it could be as having lots of backup bottles, different concentrations, different formulations, vintage or it could be the accumulation of thousands of bottles.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Dependent

When your friends and family think that you are crazy when you show them your collection.

Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    When your friends and family think that you are crazy when you show them your collection.
    My brother just visited me for the first time in about a year and was shocked at how big my collection had become haha. When I travel to visit home I only bring a few bottles, he had no idea I had any more than that

Que scay-je?

all of the above..

can't stop.wont stop.
    Currently wearing: 33 by Chris Rusak

Basenotes Plus

As long as i pay my bills and dont neglect my family and obligations i consider it benign. Im quiet an all in all out person, and im okay with that. Just with drugs and alcohol id say it is dependent on the individual.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

It's not a problem for me at all as it doesn't impact any aspect of my life negatively.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

We could consider it as a healthy addiction. When you have a backup of a backup bottle, I think you can say you are addicted.

Some people are fragrance collectors, so it can be more of a hobby in that sense. The problem is when it becomes detrimental to one's financial, family, and social life. That is when it is time to limit yourself to 1-3 frags only.
    Currently wearing: Beach Hut Man by Amouage

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Great thoughts here. Keep it benign in your reality - in your world - whatever that is.

Like many, I find addict-expert personalities very interesting, if those interests stay healthy, no matter how big. Those people and their highly informed if not expert thinking are always interesting to others, too.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Wanted by Night by Azzaro

Basenotes Plus

“Addicted:

-enthusiastically devoted to a particular thing or activity.

-strongly inclined or compelled to do, use, or indulge in something repeatedly”

When it’s as above for you? I started so young with fragrances that it’s just been a longtime part of life. For me the key is not letting interfere with other important aspects of my life.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

When I'm contemplating perfume over food and bills, then I'll call myself addicted.
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Junkie

If you can line up all your bottles end to end and it circles the earth's diameter several times, you may be addicted.
    Parfum de Marly Oajan

Should fragrance spending stay under control and stick with any pre-established budget (not necessarily an absolute lump sum, rather than a certain percentage relative to income and/or net worth), it may be already a sign that the scent hobby does not spiral out of control, almost irrespective of the time spent here on Basenotes or having thoughts (some or even many of whom involuntary anyway and often fairly benign) about fragrances.

Furthermore, if someone manages to stick to this predetermined budget for several fragrance purchases over decade (s) or even longer, not just without going into debt but also while slowly but steadily improving income and/or net budget available for more stringent and essential demands and priorities than fragrance, chances are that all the fragrance interaction, enthusiasm, knowledge linked to this hobby was neither in vain nor an enabler of even slight hints of addictive, negative tendencies/behaviors.

Anything is an addiction when it impedes on other required aspects of life. Whether budget or time.

Or what debussy said :P
    for swap/sale:

When staying away from fragrance or fragrance-related activities give you withdrawal symptoms...
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

I don't think any genuine addiction can be "healthy," because true addiction is always a way to avoid dealing with or confronting and properly coping with emotional and psychological anxieties.

When your indulgence in this hobby is starting to detract from real-world relationships, legitimate obligations, and promising opportunities, then you need to take a good long look at your state of being and think about making a change.

Life is about more than expensive bottles of scented juice. Scented juice can be a nice accent to life, but it's much too narrow a focal point for life itself.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, English Laundry Windsor, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    How do you know, in all seriousness?
    Is it a spending threshold? Amount of time spent on Basenotes? Amount of time spent smelling and/or thinking about fragrances? I am curious what you all think.
    I find the actual “addiction” usually lies outside of fragrances themselves and manifests in behaviors through which fragrance is simply a conduit, and could be pretty much replaced by a number of mediums or “hobbies.”

So for example, the addiction may be shopping/spending money and its associated dopamine spike. Or the addiction might be spending excessive amounts of time on a fragrance forum. The addiction is the behavior, to which fragrance is mostly irrelevant.

I think any time a behavior or repeated pattern of behaviors cuts into and lowers your quality of life it begins to enter “addiction” territory. If your spending ends up lowering your credit score or preventing you from making other, more pressing/helpful purchases it could be an addiction. If your time online means you’re missing out on time with your family or slowly gaining weight and becoming obese, it could be an addiction. Or when you suddenly realize you’ve become quite a two-dimensional personality with not much else but an obsessive knowledge of fragrances, you may be addicted to certain aspects of the hobby or related behaviors.

It’s healthy to step completely away from whatever it is that consumes your time and thoughts every once in a while. It will give you some perspective regarding the thin line between “interests” and “addiction.”

More often than not, I feel like interest gets us here (on Basenotes), and addiction keeps us here.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    When I'm contemplating perfume over food and bills, then I'll call myself addicted.
    That is a daily dilemma..er..question, yes. What's your point?
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

I consider myself addicted since i never finish a bottle during the last 10 years

+1 on the serious answers.
    Negative impact on any other aspects of your life.
    Spending more than you can realistically afford.
    Personally - both keeping me up instead of sleeping and dreaming about fragrance!
    Currently wearing: Worth pour Homme by Worth

I've definitely had moments at two in the morning when I'm laying in bed unable to fall asleep and I find myself with $200-300 worth of random fragrances in my shopping cart, somehow following the logic that a splurge fragrance purchase will cure my insomnia. So far, I have resisted clicking on the checkout page. The day that I do, I will know that I have a problem

Que scay-je?

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    I've definitely had moments at two in the morning when I'm laying in bed unable to fall asleep and I find myself with $200-300 worth of random fragrances in my shopping cart, somehow following the logic that a splurge fragrance purchase will cure my insomnia. So far, I have resisted clicking on the checkout page. The day that I do, I will know that I have a problem
    I can relate!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    Just go ahead and click that button. Release those endorphins!
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    That is a daily dilemma..er..question, yes. What's your point?
    I'll smell amazing while I lose weight and get sent to collections.
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    You're the devil on my shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Who needs a runners high when you can get the same rush from buying a Creed flacon?

Que scay-je?

When you can't wear everything you have a few times a year, yet you keep buying....you're addicted.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I'll smell amazing while I lose weight and get sent to collections.
    The scent equivalent of feeling horrible but looking fabulous.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella